About Crater of Diamonds State Park
Crater of Diamonds State Park is located in Arkansas
15 Reviews of Crater of Diamonds State Park
Unique Experience!

Winter, Spring and Fall are the best seasons to visit.  The diamond field is a large, unshaded field.

Rains cause the soil to cake up on shoes and make it difficult to walk in the field.

I’ve never found a diamond but have seen others find them!

Be prepared for weather and arrive early to get rental gear.

Diggers of the dirt

Loved our day trip just me and my daughter so I can’t review camp grounds but I will camp the next round and bring the whole clan. Open fields of dirt to dig in they till up the soil to make digging easier.Take umbrellas and a wagon to pull supplies with ,also to haul dirt to the washing area. Carry drinking water snacks , 5 gallon bucket and garden tools…. have fun get dirty.

Amazing place with so much to do!

I was pleasantly suprised with our stay at crater of diamonds. We only stayed the weekend but definitely would have been happy with a longer stay. The first day we got there it was pretty late so the kids played at the park beside our campsite whilenwe setup. The bath house was also beside our site as well as a laundromat. The bathrooms and showers were very clean. The next day we went to the diamond mines and dug for diamonds, this was so much fun! We found some small quartz that were very pretty, then we ate at the kimberlite cafe which is right beside the mines. Then to cool off, we spent the rest of the day at the water park which was perfect for my young children. There were slides and waterfalls and the water only goes to 3 ft at the deepest points.

Really nice campgrounds

The facilities here are top notch. There are lots of shady camping spots and several nice public restrooms. The paved walking trail down to the river was a nice surprise. Everything inside the parks is an additional cost so you have to pay to swim or dig for diamonds. Not a big deal, but we were expecting to be able to use the pool and it was a big factor for staying inside the state park. Pool admission is $10 a person which seems a little high.

Very nice campground

Nice state park. Campsites are large and private. Bathhouse nice and clean. There is a water play area but we enjoyed searching for diamonds. They have a 40 acre area that is plowed every so often. Also they have water troughs for sifting for diamonds. They rent sifting boxes and other tools or you can bring your own.

Awesome.

Great campground with activities and hiking trails

Fills Up Quickly On Weekends

This place would have gotten a full 5 stars, but there is a very unpredictable side to this campground. What is that you ask? Well, it isn’t large and that makes for some difficult reservations a times.

I had come through this area during a weekend and checked into a site well in advance only to discover that it was booked already. I had let a friend know about the site when they were traveling through and also the same results when looking almost a month in advance. But on a third attempt to book on a weekend it was as though all sites were nearly empty only a week out for the weekend ahead. So this site isn’t really consistent on being able to book in advance.

So what is the allure of this site in particular? THE DIAMOND MINE!! Yep, I said it, DIAMONDS!

For only a small fee you can go inside and hunt for your next big come up and even name your find, should you uncover one. And don’t think this is just some random tourist trap, because several diamonds are in fact found regularly there (most are not large). It is something the entire family can do together or you can do on your own.

But the mine, while the biggest attraction, is not alone. There is also a children’s waterpark area, hiking trails and many other fun things within a short drive back into town.

There are only about 5 primitive tent sites and around 40 RV or improved sites. So there it is the big kicker!

Now with that said, what does this campground look like that it would rate 5 stars if it wasn’t so stinking challenging to get into?

It is nice, the facilities are well maintained, the roads are smooth, the trees are abundant and it is a quiet despite the traffic that flows in daily for the mine. Each campsite is large enough to not feel piled on top of your neighbor and has the typical amenities of a picnic table and fire ring.

It seemed when I was there it had been updated fairly recently in several aspects and perhaps it was because it was busy season but it was very well maintained in the restroom facilities.

I have stayed at a number of state parks in Arkansas and I am overall very pleased on how they are spending that little extra tax dollar to allow everyone to truly enjoy “The Natural State.”

TIPS:

• Bring old clothes for digging. You will best enjoy the mining experience if you aren’t worried about what you are wearing so you can really get in there and get dirty.
  • Try wet sifting instead of just dry sifting it will bring the experience at the mine to life.
  • Check out the things to do in town as well. This campsite is close to the town of Murfreesboro which has so many strange little interesting things. While there you can check out all there is to offer just off the beaten path.
Beautiful place

little hard to find at first our GPS took some very back back roads as in gravel. Once there it was great. We only stayed over night as we passed through. but would stay again very pretty place. Didnt find any Diamonds.

Unique park in Arkansas

Very neat park to visit. Nice shaded/wooded sites are prone to fire bans during dry conditions. Diamond mining equopment is pricy to rent with deposit, but miney is refunded easily. Diamond mine has absolutely no shade, so hot weather mining is difficult. Nice bath houses.

awesome family place

awesome time looking for diamonds and great campground.