The best camping in
Arkansas

Camping Arkansas

Chock-full of scenic natural beauty and breathtaking geological diversity, camping in Arkansas is an experience hard to forget. Campgrounds can be found on top of magnificent mountain ranges, sparkling lakeshores, and nearly anywhere in between. Known as “The Natural State,” Arkansas boasts two mountain ranges, three national forests, 600,000 acres of lakes, and 9,000 miles of streams and rivers. In addition to numerous camping and backpacking opportunities, Arkansas is long famous for its hunting and fishing scene. So lace up your boots and get ready for an unparalleled getaway camping in Arkansas!

Take an extraordinary escape to the Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas in Eureka Springs. The entire city is on the National Register of Historic Places with its carefully preserved Victorian Buildings and unique architecture built around the city’s natural springs. Numerous campgrounds near Eureka Springs offer campers an opportunity to get up close with nature while staying within reach of the city’s curvy hills and winding streets free of traffic lights.

Just south of Eureka Springs lies the Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge, dedicating 459 acres to exotic cats. The sanctuary is home to tigers, lions, leopards, and cougars. Animal lovers can enjoy guided habitat tours and open discovery areas daily.

Just over an hour from Little Rock, AR, sits the largest lake in Arkansas. Renowned for its scenic beauty and clear waters, Lake Ouachita is surrounded by the Ouachita National Forest. Named one of the cleanest lakes in America, Lake Ouachita provides campers with ample water sports opportunities, including swimming, scuba diving, and angling. The Lake Ouachita State Park also offers scenic trails, two swimming areas, and a marina with boat rentals and fishing supplies.

Embark on a gorgeous trip through The Natural State. With The Dyrt, you can be sure to find the best camping in Arkansas along the way.

Recent Reviews in Arkansas
Old Primitive Group Camp

This is an old, boy scout style group camp. A couple of picnic tables are grouped together at the front of the camp and then there are several remnants of old tent pads throughout the area. Large trees, lots of moss and no overgrowth make this a beautiful place to explore for an hour or so. There is (1) vault style toilet in the center of camp.

NWA Visit

We like the location of this site. Easy to access and nestled in a valley of beautiful trees. It’s also close to hiking and biking trails. Make sure you get the access code to the bathrooms before your stay. The code was not included in our email confirming the rearrange. Showers are great.

Dispurse Camping

Bring your boat and go fishing or great place to stay if you're just passing through. There is usually not anyone camped here. Plenty of room for big RV and a few of them.

Beautiful and Clean

We stayed at Petit Jean State Park during the week of Thanksgiving. It’s a popular place, so very busy, but all the campers around us were very courteous, friendly, and obeyed quiet time rules. The sites (we were in a tent in Loop C) were spacious and clean, as were the bathhouses. The Visitor’s Center/Registration was well-stocked and staff was efficient and welcoming. We ate dinner at Mather’s Lodge-the food was mediocre but service was great.

Convenient place

Right off the hiway The most Level site in our 6k mile trip Nice park w clean facilities Easy access to the sites Nice park! Friendly staff

Absolutely stunning

Less than a minute from the Kings River Falls Trail-head, and nestled alongside the headwaters of the Kings River in Venus Arkansas. This is a remote and rugged campground with caves, bluffs, swimming holes and river a plenty. This campground has a grand exhibition of the same sandstone formation that is responsible for the Whitaker Point(Hawksbill Crag) formation, as well.

Simply Beautiful

Nice campground, just the basics, does have vaulted toilets. Waterfalls in the area, Piney River and Highland Trail is very close. If you like getting back to nature, this place is for you.

Very nice place

We have been there twice and will be going back there this spring. Nice camping areas and the fishing was good. Also has a nice swimming area. It also has a hiking trail that is paved.

One of our favorites

My wife and I have camped at Lake Catherine a couple of times. The water fall is at its best in the spring. Nice trails. The bathhouses are clean. Can’t wait for spring to go back.

Nice place to camp

My wife and I have camped in our RV there twice. We enjoyed it there and plan To go back again next year.

Great place to camp!

Beautiful camping experience! There were a very limited number of RV sites, but they were all very private feeling and nicely maintained. The bathrooms and showers were immaculate! Hiking was right next to the campground, so this made for a very fun, relaxing weekend! We are definitely going back soon!

Beautiful in the Fall

Village Creek is becoming one of our favorite campground that is close to home! Great for hiking, fishing, kayaking and general outdoor activities!

Choose from 3 different campgrounds within the park: The Lower Loop is more rustic and offers water & electric hookups. There is a nice, small creek that runs along the back of the campground behind the sites opposite the main road. Plenty of flat ground for football, baseball or badminton. Very nice “suite style” bathrooms.

The Upper Loop has larger camp pads with full hookups. There is walk up water access at the end of the cove between sites 46 & 47 with a swim beach (looks like it is about to undergo some renovations) and playground. The bathroom is extremely clean.

The Horse Camp looks nice, but I don’t know any details on that.

The park office offers WiFi (very limited cell service in the park), wood for sale, ice for sale, other snacks and bike rentals.

Several tennis courts, a basketball court and a baseball backstop can also be found within the park. There is also a beautiful golf course for the golfer campers!

Closed

Campground was closed when I tried to stay. May be seasonal, may be weather related. No explanation.

Love it❤

It's a beautiful place and family friendly for sure.

Ranger Review: Women's Rebel Stretch Shell Jacket at Crystal Springs

Campground Review:

Crystal Springs campground is near Hot Springs, Arkansas. The campsites all have great views of the lake, but I believe this campground is meant for RV's. The sites are very exposed. That isn't a big deal if you are in an RV or camper, but it is tough if you are in a tent on a windy lake.

Our site was on a point. The rain and wind really beat our tent up. In fact, we had to cut our trip short because of the windy conditions.

There weren't any hiking trails near the area, but there were great fishing opportunities.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time- today I am testing Red Ledge Women's Rebel Stretch Shell Jacket . This was my first "legit" rain jacket.

Top reasons I love the Red Ledge Women's Rebel Stretch Shell Jacket:

1. The fit is great. I ordered a medium, and it is perfect.

2. The elastic around the wrist and waist help protect against the elements.

3. The hood has a bill so that rain doesn't fall into your face.

4. The pockets have zippers for added protection.

5. The zipper zips both ways.

Red Ledge created a stellar product with this medium weight jacket.

Basic campground close to downtown Fayetteville

PROS:

*CLOSE TO DOWNTOWN: you can’t camp in your RV any closer to downtown Fayetteville than at Southgate. There are no other campgrounds as close to the main square and all the action of restaurants, breweries etc (there is just one other campground in the town but it is a membership campground for people who frequent the football games)

*FRIENDLY OWNER: I believe his name is Jim. He’s a nice guy and cleans the bathrooms daily. It was cold while we were there and he kept a space heater on in the bathroom, even when there were just a few of us in the campground.

*CLOSE TO BIKE TRAIL: the Razorback trail and network of bike trails (which can take you all the way to Bentonville) are just a few blocks down the road from Southgate. This is a great way to get downtown without driving and trying to find parking.

*FLAT SITES: sites are pretty level with a small concrete pad for wheels.

CONS:

*NOISE: you are right next to a busy road, but you can’t really hear it when inside your camper. You’re also next to a Tyson Factory which burps and belches 24/7.

*BATHROOMS: the bathrooms and showers are old, but kept clean.

Overall, we had a nice stay at Southgate. It was a great campground for exploring the food, drink, and shops of Fayetteville. Though it wasn’t the most scenic campground, it was very convenient.

Fayetteville Recommendations: Fork and Crust Pie Shop, Fayetteville Farmers market on the square on Saturday mornings, crisis brewery, crystal bridges art museum in Bentonville, basecamp coffee, ozark foods coop for grocery, nightbird books.

Dan's Riverview RV Park

Small, but all brand new.  Restrooms and showers are clean and beautiful. Full Hook Up's, firepits, and lights are great.  Dan, the owner is the best.  We arrived late and in the dark, rainy ARK weather Dan provided lights so that we could hook up.  Customer service is the best.  We will definitely stay here again.

Caddo River Access

Campsites are small and close together but very well kept. Grills, fire Rings, and picnic tables available. Nice shaded area for tent camping. They are very close to the outfitter drop spot. Right on the river. Bathroom facilities are very nice and well kept. Outfitter has very nice quality boats for rent as well. Pleasant first experience with staff. Be warned that the campsite is right off a highway bridge so a decent amount of traffic through at all times. Stores located close by.

Stunning Ozark/Buffalo River Views

This is the best disconnect from the world campground. During peak Buffalo float season, arrive early as they are first come, first serve. The middle campsites aren’t my favorite but arent bad sites. River access. Showers are not available at the campground. There is a private outfitter at the top of the hill that offers pay showers. Speaking of the “hill”, its a steep road down i to the campground. Other reviewers will probably say you need a truck/suv to get into it. I got my compact car down just fine. Go slow in a lower gear. There is toilet facilities that are well kept. Water access available but no hookups. Very low cost too. Picnic tables, lantern post, and fire rings at each site. Absolutely no cell service. No one in our group with varying cell service providers had service.

An Arkansas jewel!

I was so excited to stay here based on this being voted as one of the best state parks in this region. The reviews were spot on about the hiking and other amenities. This park is charming right down to its CCC roots. During my stay the new park visitor’s center was being built and it looks to be a lovely addition.

What I was surprised to discover was my disappointing campground experience. I picked my campsite early and carefully and was hoping to have a quieter experience since I decided to avoid the swankier lakeside full hook up sites. I was wrong. Unfortunately, the park allowed a group of tent campers to camp in sites that were not in the group campground. There were 4 tents per site, some of which were camped on the ground right near the restrooms. 2 campers per tent x 4 per site x at least 6 sites. Well I’ll spare you the math, but Campground D literally turned into a church camp complete with air horns blasting to alert the camper kiddos that it was time to eat, shower, wake up etc.  Nothing against church camps. Just saying Campground D is not a group campsite! Thankfully, I spent most of my time hiking and biking. So I was away from the campground a majority of my stay.

Site 98 was located adjacent to public property and backed up to the gravel road that serviced the neighborhood. There was a street light that illuminated the road and this didn’t add to the ambiance. All said, the campground didn’t really afford the experience I was hoping for. However, the hiking trails did not disappoint! As many previous reviewers have mentioned, hiking here is awesome. I definitely recommend the Bear Cave trail and the Cedar Falls trail.

Grabbing a bite at the Lodge is recommended too. The food was good and the view was outstanding!

I’d go back, but I would choose Campground A, pay more and stay right on the lake. The sites are nicely spaced and I think the cost of full hook ups might deter a large group of tent campers from overtaking the campground. Again, nothing against tent campers or church camps. I just thought this is why parks have group campgrounds. I’d prefer not to repeat the group tent camping situation and air horns I ran into on my visit to campground D.

It’s a beautiful park!

We stayed in mid October and the leaves hadn’t started really changing yet.

Perfect, clean facilities and a huge campsite. The road in was a nice drive, easy for motorcycles.

We bought wood from the camp, although the store closes at 5pm and the wood was wet, which made it hard for a good fire.

You are dipped down into a valley so no cellphone service, but if you are a connection junky there is WiFi you can purchase. I didn’t purchase a lease, so I’m not sure how fast it is.

The park is quite a ways away from civilization which is nice unless you are planning on eating outside of the park, Fayetteville is probably the closest decent bar and grill, about 30min away.

All in all, a great experience and would love to make my way back someday.

Beautiful secluded campground

We camped here during the month of October in the walk in spots. We were pretty close to the river. We pretty much had the entire area to ourselves since the weather was cold and rainy. We made the best of it. The bathrooms are cleaned daily and the hot showers worked great. I recommend this campground if you’re looking to get away from it all. The hiking trails nearby are great.

👍🏼

This wasn’t our first choice, but it ended up being great! Just north of Jasper there’s a dirt road to the left that you take. The campground is just a loop with open space in the middle. Most spots are in the trees so it’s great for seclusion and hammocks. Each spot has a fire pit and picnic table. Bathrooms available. It doesn’t fill up quickly. The Buffalo River runs right along the campground and the Buffalo River Trail goes through it. The campground host was very friendly and helpful!

Came for Hot Springs but the park was the best part!

Stayed four nights. The slots were dispersed well and wooded. All the trees make it hard to back in. Also, my slot was on a hill, and we arrived after dark so I had to back a 30 foot trailer up a hill in the dark avoiding trees but if three 21 year old girls can do it it’s possible. The other sites weren’t as bad, it’s hit or miss really. There were three areas, A B and C. They are divided by class, one is for bigger rigs and is right on the water near the dump station. All the slots are near the lake. There are wonderful trails and waterfalls to find. Pet friendly, good variety of trails with varying levels of accessibility, one even accommodates wheelchairs. There are two shower houses on each end of the park. There are hookups with or without sewage.

Great day trip

Great little campground. The only downside while we were there was the bathrooms were not open.

Small, but mighty

Great little park. Swimming area was a little weak, but otherwise a great spot for a weekend. Super clean shower facilities. Lake across the street for a decent kayak day. Bring bug spray I bulk, mosquitoes were super bad.

Very nice

I stayed there with my family and had a blast. The people that worked there were nice and helpful.

Good for Families

The bathrooms are clean and there’s a nice pool. We’ve never actually used the pool due to crowds because it truly is the den of the devil as you’ll be able to tell from the heat.

Pretty much private!

Super quiet, almost had the place to ourselves. Only 20 minutes from Crater of Diamonds State Park. Right on Lake Greeson.

All camper sites have 50A, 30A & 15A service along with water, with really good water pressure. Hot shower and clean bathrooms to boot. They have picnic tables and a table for your cook stove, a grill and fire ring in all spots too. There are two spots at the dump station and a clean water station as well…

We will certainly be back!