THE BEST CAMPING IN
Arkansas
Camping Arkansas

Chock-full of scenic natural beauty and breathtaking geological diversity, camping in Arkansas is an experience hard to forget. Campgrounds can be found on top of magnificent mountain ranges, sparkling lakeshores, and nearly anywhere in between. Known as “The Natural State,” Arkansas boasts two mountain ranges, three national forests, 600,000 acres of lakes, and 9,000 miles of streams and rivers. In addition to numerous camping and backpacking opportunities, Arkansas is long famous for its hunting and fishing scene. So lace up your boots and get ready for an unparalleled getaway camping in Arkansas!

Take an extraordinary escape to the Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas in Eureka Springs. The entire city is on the National Register of Historic Places with its carefully preserved Victorian Buildings and unique architecture built around the city’s natural springs. Numerous campgrounds near Eureka Springs offer campers an opportunity to get up close with nature while staying within reach of the city’s curvy hills and winding streets free of traffic lights.

Just south of Eureka Springs lies the Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge, dedicating 459 acres to exotic cats. The sanctuary is home to tigers, lions, leopards, and cougars. Animal lovers can enjoy guided habitat tours and open discovery areas daily.

Just over an hour from Little Rock, AR, sits the largest lake in Arkansas. Renowned for its scenic beauty and clear waters, Lake Ouachita is surrounded by the Ouachita National Forest. Named one of the cleanest lakes in America, Lake Ouachita provides campers with ample water sports opportunities, including swimming, scuba diving, and angling. The Lake Ouachita State Park also offers scenic trails, two swimming areas, and a marina with boat rentals and fishing supplies.

Embark on a gorgeous trip through The Natural State. With The Dyrt, you can be sure to find the best camping in Arkansas along the way.

Recent Reviews in Arkansas
Nice little campground

Me and my friends chose this campground very last minute. Its a loose dirt road on the way in and out so prepare! If you are wanting private campgrounds with trees, this is not your spot. The camp sites are far enough distance from eachother though. There’s a cool trail that leads to the river. We enjoyed it over all. :)

Great Campground

This campground is right on the Mississippi River, only problem is if the river is over its banks, then the campground is closed. We had to keep checking to see if the river was down, campground was cleaned up and open. The drive into the campground can seem a little sketchy, but once you get to your spot on the river it is a great hidden gem. Lots of full hookups some on concrete, some are gravel, all level. Clean restroom, free laundry and free WiFi. This is a campground we would like to stay at again.

Can’t wait to go back!

This is our go-to when we go to the area!! Blowing Springs is fantastic! Tent sites do not have electric but it’s so worth it! Such easy access to the Back 40 and Slaughter Pen mountain bike trails! We get on our bikes and ride all day and then come back and enjoy the peaceful campground! Totally recommend!

Quiet, Clean bathroom park

Sugarloaf has become my family’s go to camping area. Campsites are usually easy to book in advance, and we never had any problems with reservations. Swimming are and powered bathrooms are great. Park rangers patrol the park throughout the day and night, giving all campers piece of mind. As most campsites are, there are no real defined borders and all Greers Ferry and Heber Springs are surrounded by residential areas. We had an instance where a gentleman rode his ATV through the woods and just walked up to multiple campsites. He was friendly but later that night someone tried to open my car door, causing the alarm to go off. Proper authorities were called and they eventually caught up with him. Out of the 20+ years we’ve used Sugarloaf, this is the only issue we’ve experienced.

Loved this place and owners!

This is an awesome camp ground. Owners are amazing. It’s warm friendly place. We liked it so much in April we are heading back in September! It’s perfect location and great area to ride our Harley.  Taking friends with us to ride this next trip.

We will be back!

We had a great time here, just a day trip. Water was clean & refreshing. Hearing the water flow was relaxing. We’re looking forward to going back & doing a weekend camp!

Hidden Gem

The mulberry river is a ridden gem the runs through the Ozarks. It’s just a quiet beautiful place to camp, ride ATVs, float the river or just hangout with friends and families. This campground is great! It reminds of a more exclusive campground with limited spaces so it’s just a treat to camp somewhere that’s not crowded.

This place is beautiful.

Super clean! Great place!

I couldn’t get over how clean this facility was. Very kind and accommodating staff. We stayed in a Kamping Kabin with a bunk bed and a full size bed and it was sparkling clean. The pool was sparkling clean as well. Great dog park and children’s park.

We love Brady mountain

Brady mountain campground is a beautiful place on lake Ouachita it has a swim beach and good facilities only downside is no water at RV spots

Great weekend getaway!

This is an awesome place to camp and get away without going too far! It is located a little south of central Arkansas so it’s easily accessible to the whole state. It’s also very affordable and has great amenities. The camp sites have good shade and are all close to the water. You can start fires, keep your vehicle right by, and bring your furry friend along too! The float is also so much fun and accessible for all ages! There’s so much to see and the water actually moves instead of you having to paddle the whole way. All the staff is friendly and there’s little stores, ice, and firewood available nearby.

Poor Customer Service

I am currently staying at the Horseshoe Bend campground in Rogers, AR on site 158. I reported to the gate keepers yesterday that the 20amp GFCI circuit was tripped and wouldn’t reset. The gentleman who was at the gate told me he would go down and take a look at it. I was concerned because as I was explaining it to him he asked me if I meant the“little one”. I told him yes. I was headed back to work and told him I would be back out that evening. When I returned at 9:00pm, I noticed that my camper was dark and that my exterior light was off. I checked and sure enough he had turned off the 30amp breaker to my camper. I turned it back on and went inside. Sure enough it had been off all day and my fridge in turn was off. My freezer was defrosting and the bag of ice I had in it had leaked all over the floor and carpet. I went back to ask him why he had turned off the breaker and he told me that he hadn’t. That it must have tripped. I informed him that there is a difference in a tripped breaker and a turned off breaker because you have to reset a tripped breaker. I am in the construction trade and used to be an electrician by trade before I became a general contractor. I could see the look on his face that he knew he had forgotten to turn it back on. He then proceeded to tell me that I would need to plug into the other pole because that one wasn’t working. My cord wouldn’t come close to reaching. I then asked him if he turned it off because it wasn’t working and he said yes. So I asked him that if that was the case then why did he lie earlier when he said he didn’t and that it must have tripped. Needless to say I was pretty aggravated last night. I had to run back to town to get my shop vac so I could suck up the water and a fan to help dry out the carpet. Then I asked him if he had shut it down then why didn’t he call me since they have my phone number in the system when I checked in. He just said he was sorry and closed the door. I am a bit frustrated at all that. He has no business working on an electrical service if he isn’t licensed and is obviously incompetent if he wouldn’t even bother to call me after turning off my campers service knowing that people have fridges full of food in them.

Great diverse area!

Love this spot! There is so much to do in this park, I love it. There is golf, disc golf, dog park, baseball and softball fields, cabins, archery, amusement park, and more! It’s very family friendly and pet friendly so everyone can enjoy the fun. It is very clean and fairly quiet. It also isn’t far from society and stores, so if anything is forgotten then it’s not a big deal to go grab something. I go to this park at least once a month and always find something new and fun.

Just living is not enough...

Stuff your eyes with wonder while taking all the roads less traveled. When confronted with a fork in the road be prepared to take both and probably chase a waterfall or two.
Wash your spirit clean in the Mulberry River with good friends and beautiful scenery!

Waterfall heaven!

This place was amazing. These sites were well kept and spaced enough to feel private. We never made it to hike to twin falls but we did play in the creek and jump off the big rocks. We eventually drove down and found falling water falls, and six finger falls! I recommend making a trip to both of you go out this way. The water was a little cloudier than normal due to the recent rainfall but still beautiful!

Most magical place to be

We started coming out every weekend since May. Our children love it!! Our friends come down for the afternoon to swim and trail ride. It’s the most magical place to spend with your family and friends. The Floyd family is probably the nicest family you ever meet. Kayaking, tubing, trail rides are just a few things you can do there. One trip there and you will be hooked!Spend the night in a tent under the stars or bring an RV and chill around the camp fire. If you forget something, someone most likely will have it because everyone is family there.

Most magical place to be

Heaven on earth!

Our family has always been one that likes to be outside and Mulberry is such a beautiful hidden gem! This weekend we went chasing waterfalls and hiked through caves it was BEAUTIFUL!!

Wonderful weekend outing

Right off I40, on the Mulberry River, very friendly staff, you can Tube, float, kuyak, or just swim and relax. They have access to the national forest, and atv there also.

Recent stay

Owners are great and very helpful. Good prices and friendly campers. Spend a few nights here in a tent. Enjoyed the pool and showers . Will definitely go back

Walkingsticks Infestation

Made plans with my son and his gf for a weekend of camping at White Rock (this was last year - Sept. 20, 2018), and booked a campsite through Recreation.gov and paid the fees.  Upon arrival we checked in through the office and were directed to our site.  It took only a minute to see there was a problem.  As we unloaded the truck, hundreds of walkingsticks started climbing on our stuff.  They were all over the ground and even falling from the trees!!  Within minutes there must have been thousands!!  We were immediately loading the stuff back to the truck and headed back to the office.  The park caretaker acted like it was no big deal, even stated, "this was the second year of the infestation" (her words).  Infestation??  Why wasn't this mentioned on Recreation.gov??  There was no way you could spend a relaxing weekend camping if you have to fight these insects off everything you own!!  Upon returning home I contacted Recreation.gov and applied for a refund since we were unable to camp there…I was denied and no reason was given!!  It would be a good idea to call ahead and check on any campground that is operated by Recreation.gov, because obviously they don't care about the site, just your money!!

Quiet, primitive campground. No self-pay box.

The campground was very nice with footpaths to the nearby lake and little hoppin’ toads everywhere. A little pricey for a primitive site in my opinion ($12). No showers, but a stinky bathroom nearby. The campground was pretty empty in the heat of summer even on a Friday night, but you could hear folks partying at the RV site across the lake. Didn’t bother me much, the toads and bugs were much louder 😆

Free swimming beach within a 5 min. drive (no dogs allowed).

We were annoyed when we arrived to find that there were no self-pay boxes even though the forest map says there should be. Had to drive to the visitor center to pay. They need to either update their map or add boxes to prevent confusion.

Limited

We enjoyed our stay.   We tried to go hiking, but covered in ticks minutes after starting the trail.   Our site was close to the water with a view of the nuclear plant.   I think it was a nuclear plant across the water.   Area had nice play grounds.    Other campers helpful and polite.  Bathrooms clean.   Nice pic nic areas.  We was in the area for a ballon festival.   Kids enjoyed the stay.

Absolutely Sublime

I had an absolute blast while at Petit Jean State Park. I stayed at the Mather lodge and in one of the cabins both of which I loved staying in. The trails through out the park are all great hikes, even the less prominent paths are nice to explore. The hike down to Cedar Falls is absolutely fantastic and more than worth the trek. My favorite part of the park hands down has to be the multiple look out points you can find around the mountain. The views you can find along red bluff drive and at the gravesite are breathtaking. Petit Jean State park is fantastic and I can’t wait to go back.

Great place

We have stayed at here several times.    The kids enjoy the playgrounds x 3, walking, plenty of open space, and watching the barges coming down the river.   Area real close to town.  Not much to hike.  Sites are roomy.   Bathroom is always clean.  Camp host pleasant.

Incredible views

We went up for the day to hike.   Amazing trip wouldn’t miss it.   Stop by the visitor center.

Small but awesome

We live close by and go usually once a week.  Camping and hiking in fall and spring.  Swimming, canoeing, fishing, or just hanging out in the summer.  Sites fill up fast. New visitor center is nice.  Park has a fishing tournament for the kids.

Hidden waterfall

We loved our stay.  Our cabin was beautiful.   The park rangers gave us a pontoon boat ride.   They sent us in the directions to find a glorious swimming hole and waterfall.   Wish we stayed longer.   Almost forgot about the nice beach area.

Awesome camping

We stayed in the yurts one time and it was nice but hot. Bring FANS. The yurt came with a canoe and life jackets. We loved that stay. My favorite stay is at the tent sites. We have stayed so many times. Several areas to hike with young children. Swimming pool available at a good price. The kids love the near by petting zoo. Lake available for fishing and boat rentals. Wonderful views all around one of my favorite spots.