Ozark-St. Francis National Forests, ARKANSAS

Camping Arkansas Ozark-St. Francis National Forests
Most Recent Ozark-St. Francis National Forests Camping Reviews
Nice place to camp

My wife and I have camped in our RV there twice. We enjoyed it there and plan To go back again next year.

Great place to camp!

Beautiful camping experience! There were a very limited number of RV sites, but they were all very private feeling and nicely maintained. The bathrooms and showers were immaculate! Hiking was right next to the campground, so this made for a very fun, relaxing weekend! We are definitely going back soon!

Closed

Campground was closed when I tried to stay. May be seasonal, may be weather related. No explanation.

An Arkansas jewel!

I was so excited to stay here based on this being voted as one of the best state parks in this region. The reviews were spot on about the hiking and other amenities. This park is charming right down to its CCC roots. During my stay the new park visitor’s center was being built and it looks to be a lovely addition.

What I was surprised to discover was my disappointing campground experience. I picked my campsite early and carefully and was hoping to have a quieter experience since I decided to avoid the swankier lakeside full hook up sites. I was wrong. Unfortunately, the park allowed a group of tent campers to camp in sites that were not in the group campground. There were 4 tents per site, some of which were camped on the ground right near the restrooms. 2 campers per tent x 4 per site x at least 6 sites. Well I’ll spare you the math, but Campground D literally turned into a church camp complete with air horns blasting to alert the camper kiddos that it was time to eat, shower, wake up etc.  Nothing against church camps. Just saying Campground D is not a group campsite! Thankfully, I spent most of my time hiking and biking. So I was away from the campground a majority of my stay.

Site 98 was located adjacent to public property and backed up to the gravel road that serviced the neighborhood. There was a street light that illuminated the road and this didn’t add to the ambiance. All said, the campground didn’t really afford the experience I was hoping for. However, the hiking trails did not disappoint! As many previous reviewers have mentioned, hiking here is awesome. I definitely recommend the Bear Cave trail and the Cedar Falls trail.

Grabbing a bite at the Lodge is recommended too. The food was good and the view was outstanding!

I’d go back, but I would choose Campground A, pay more and stay right on the lake. The sites are nicely spaced and I think the cost of full hook ups might deter a large group of tent campers from overtaking the campground. Again, nothing against tent campers or church camps. I just thought this is why parks have group campgrounds. I’d prefer not to repeat the group tent camping situation and air horns I ran into on my visit to campground D.

Came for Hot Springs but the park was the best part!

Stayed four nights. The slots were dispersed well and wooded. All the trees make it hard to back in. Also, my slot was on a hill, and we arrived after dark so I had to back a 30 foot trailer up a hill in the dark avoiding trees but if three 21 year old girls can do it it’s possible. The other sites weren’t as bad, it’s hit or miss really. There were three areas, A B and C. They are divided by class, one is for bigger rigs and is right on the water near the dump station. All the slots are near the lake. There are wonderful trails and waterfalls to find. Pet friendly, good variety of trails with varying levels of accessibility, one even accommodates wheelchairs. There are two shower houses on each end of the park. There are hookups with or without sewage.

Great day trip

Great little campground. The only downside while we were there was the bathrooms were not open.

Nice stop

Loop A $20 for full hookup, Loop B $15 for regular. Hot showers in A, cold in B; but you can use either. Be careful how close you are to the wash house in B; the halogen light outside humms all night. Camp host WILL make sure you follow the rules, including paying. Price seems a little steep for a forest service campground, and the price is the same all year(even during the slow season). Overall, seems well kept, nice amenities, but a little princely if you’re just looking to set your tent for the night. Also, the ouchita trail runs right next to the camp.

So many cool rocks!

We had a great time camping at petit jean! We went on a few of the easier hikes but they were so great with such cool sights to see like turtle rocks, Indian rock cave, carpet rocks & bear cave.

RV-Centric Suburban River Camping

Maumelle was full of RVs. I think we were the only tent-only campers. Being a Saturday night, it felt like a lot of locals and the mood was pretty lively. Our site was right on the river, pretty spacious, but not very private. There was no wood for sale, but our ring had leftovers, plus hot ashes- boo! RVs pretty much had string lights and music, but no generator noise since there is electricity. No-see-ums were bad once the sun starts to go. Bathrooms were clean, not covered in bugs, but short on TP. No soap. It seemed like there may have been a smelly, leach-field of some sort nearby. I think this is a convenient and nice spot, but you really have to be prepared and accepting of the openness and RVs. The host was very nice and proud of the park.

Nice place

Good place go camping, water is nice when you go night swimming more than the day since the water is awful during the day since it's a little warmer than I like.

Close to town and quiet

Good WiFi. Clean facilities. 10 min from everything. We chose this vs the National Park just down the road because of showers for a few $ more… Also, no cell signal at the park, but here it was fine. Great food and beverages in Hot Springs

Clean, flat, and beautiful tent camping at campsite 61

I tent camped at site 61 in 2015:

• We were pretty close to all the amenities and the campsite checkin/store
  • There is a nice, flat tent pad
  • Grill and fire ring were nice
  • Paved driveup spot
  • It wasn't very crowded; the two sites across from us filled up, but that was about it

I would 100% stay at this site again.

Only liked close access to trails and creek.

Not a great campground if you’re looking to be in peace and quiet. Very close to the city & very crowded due to convenience of trail heads. Clean bathrooms though 😌

Great place when not too busy

This campground is very big & offer MANY campsites. My personal favorite was #53. Great 180 view of the lake and nice trees to hang a hammock on. Picnic tables, electric & fire ring all at sites. Hot showers are available! The camp staff was VERY polite upon our arrival. The only con was that the sites are very close to each other so if the campground was full it wouldn’t be as private & nice. Overall enjoyed my stay!

Some of the best spots in Arkansas

Many primitive camping spots throughout this area, plenty of trails of all levels, and waterfalls. There are tent pads available at the entrance and primitive spots deeper along the trails if you are backpacking.

Lots of water access!

Our first time at Lake Catherine was great! We had an awesome water site and views of the lake! The campground was packed full. I typically like to have a little more privacy when we camp, but close neighbors are worth it at this park. The bathrooms have not been renovated yet like many other AR state Parks, but they were still nice and clean. The marina offers several rentals from boats, kayaks to paddle boards. We rented a few Jackson Kayaks (they are so nice!) for the day and paddled the right up to our campsite. We also kayaked to the waterfall and then took the actual hiking trail to the waterfall. Great time had by our camping group! (Sites 28 & 30)

Highly recommend

Lake Catherine State Park was absolutely beautiful! Well priced with full hook ups, lots of space and beautiful views. Plus it's still plenty close to Hot Springs. Hiking was gorgeous but depending on which route you take it can be kind of long. The waterfall was beautiful and worth seeing.

City Campground

Stayed at this KOA so we could spend some time in the city. It is what you’d expect from a campground beside the interstate. It was pretty full, there were sparse trees, and we could see everything our neighbors were doing. The bathrooms were very clean and the showers hot. The only downside was the traffic noise from the interstate, but that was to be expected.

So great we’ve taken the 8-hours-one-way drive twice in 6 weeks!

Pros: This campground has it all- great creek, incredible hiking up and over into Hot Springs, nearby disc golf course that is the best we have seen, close to all the attractions, level asphalt pads, water and power (and i think also sewer?) privacy between sites (trees, bushes) great fire pit/with cooking grate AND a grill at our site (25 is awesome), bath house with sinks and toilets ONLY

Cons: you can’t stay forever, no showers

Pro tip: eat at Superior! Great brewery/restaurant, friendly staff!

Worth the drive!

Very nice/clean campground in Richland Creek Wilderness. Several trails and waterfalls close by. Drive-up spot, fire-ring, picnic bench, hook, pit toilet. Day use area for hiking. The dirt road leading in is well maintained

OHT parking

Ozark Highlands Trail Head. Picnic bench, fire ring, and pit toilet available. Not recommending for camping.

Great Spot

I’m glad I found this campground. Quiet and clean. Several waterfalls in the area to explore. Drive-up, fire-ring, hook, bench, pit toilet. Hammocks are allowed if you choose.

Quiet

Just outside of town, along river but only access is at boat landing, this is army corp of engineers park, dump, bathrooms, showers, electric and some access to water, people were running very long hoses to their sites each site did NOT have its own.

This campground is beautiful, the RV sites on the lake front are clean,

This park is beautiful, wooded, many amenities.  There are lakefront, lake view, and other sites. There are full hookup, electric and water only, and tent areas. There are cabins, a lodge, and an amphitheater. The lake is beautiful. There is plenty of wildlife, including deer, squirrels, and others.  It is located near Hot Springs to the north,  I 30 to the south. Garman Gardens is near. There seems to be a nice breeze most of the time. Our only problem was the water source was on the opposite side from the electric hookup.

Wonderful time

My husband and I tent camped here in November. Pretty cold at night but the weather was perfect for the hikes which were absolutely stunning. We had a delicious breakfast with a view at the lodge. 10 out of 10 would recommend!

Adequate

This campground was pretty and it was clean. Arrive early because it is first come first serve and gets full. Sites are close together but overall I have no complaints. Apparently there is $10 primitive camping, but I did not see it and in the office where you pay (by machine) all I saw were $30 flat rate for all sites. So it’s quite expensive to tent camp here. No showers, but a relatively clean bathroom.

Quiet, Clean bathroom park

Sugarloaf has become my family’s go to camping area. Campsites are usually easy to book in advance, and we never had any problems with reservations. Swimming are and powered bathrooms are great. Park rangers patrol the park throughout the day and night, giving all campers piece of mind. As most campsites are, there are no real defined borders and all Greers Ferry and Heber Springs are surrounded by residential areas. We had an instance where a gentleman rode his ATV through the woods and just walked up to multiple campsites. He was friendly but later that night someone tried to open my car door, causing the alarm to go off. Proper authorities were called and they eventually caught up with him. Out of the 20+ years we’ve used Sugarloaf, this is the only issue we’ve experienced.

We love Brady mountain

Brady mountain campground is a beautiful place on lake Ouachita it has a swim beach and good facilities only downside is no water at RV spots

Great diverse area!

Love this spot! There is so much to do in this park, I love it. There is golf, disc golf, dog park, baseball and softball fields, cabins, archery, amusement park, and more! It’s very family friendly and pet friendly so everyone can enjoy the fun. It is very clean and fairly quiet. It also isn’t far from society and stores, so if anything is forgotten then it’s not a big deal to go grab something. I go to this park at least once a month and always find something new and fun.

Waterfall heaven!

This place was amazing. These sites were well kept and spaced enough to feel private. We never made it to hike to twin falls but we did play in the creek and jump off the big rocks. We eventually drove down and found falling water falls, and six finger falls! I recommend making a trip to both of you go out this way. The water was a little cloudier than normal due to the recent rainfall but still beautiful!