The best RV SITES camping near
Black Oak , ARKANSAS

Most Recent Black Oak Camping Reviews
Great Stay!

Reading through the reviews, they are all spot on. We stayed here in a 40' class A for 28 days. There are few spots that we would fit, but it worked out. The staff is great and the camp host is very knowledgeable. Under "new management", they are trying to clean the deadwood and control the mosquitos. Will stay here again!

Beautiful Park

Wonderful campground! Friendly park hosts. Great view. Very clean! Would definitely stay there again.

Nice Primitive Spots

This was a nice park to camp in. We stayed in the primitive area which is first come first served. We were the only people there on a busy weekend so we had our pick of sites. Nice park all around.

Forest Campground 20mins from Downtown Memphis

You really can't go wrong with Meeman-Shelby. It is so damn close to Memphis that while you won't feel like you are near an urban center, you benefit from its proximity. I very much appreciated being able to site see and camp during our brief overnight here.

The campground itself is tucked away deep into the Meeman Shelby State Forest and offers a pleasant amount solitude even though the sites are fairly close together. We watched an super long RV struggle to back into their site, so I wouldn't recommend this campground to RVs that require pull through sites.

Not all sites are suitable for tent campers. I would call ahead to ask what sites to consider if booking online, or just show up. There are a lot of sites here and you'll find something.

The campground is not terrible even, so be prepared for that.

Nice little park

We stayed here over Veteran's Day weekend and had a pretty good time. We camped in site 54 which the website listed as a 45ft pad, but it was pretty difficult getting our 32ft camper in there. Only complaints would be- it was a small campsite, not alot of room around the firepit, and the only trash dumpster were at the dump station. Besides that, it was a nice park with a swimming area, playground, and walking trails.

Best group camp

We stayed in the group site that will hold up to 200 people for Halloween and it was perfect. The group site is away from all the other sites so you have plenty of room for children of all ages to run around and play without disturbing other campers. It’s very roomy and beautiful. You do have to watch for the falling acorns in the fall as they drop like bombs and don’t feel so nice. Ranger Tyson was awesome and came to check on us and fix any issue we had. I would recommend them putting in some electrical outlets under the pavilion but other than that I have no complaints. One of the hiking trails passes through the camp but we went on a slow weekend and saw nobody walk through. The lady that was in the museum when we went through was super awesome with a great personality and was very helpful! We will definitely be back to the site!

Good spot for a stop over on a road trip

We were passing through Memphis and stayed overnight at Fort Pillow. The staff in the office were not super friendly or helpful. I had to ask for everything, like a campsite map to my site, a trail map, and buying firewood. Nothing was offered, so definitely ask. The layout is also backwards. You have to drive all the way to the back of the park to get to the museum visitors center. I am sure there is a practical reason for this, but it wasn’t fully transparent. I always check in to campsite to introduce myself and get a lay of campsite from the people who work there. They just were not very social or helpful.

We stayed in campsite 4 which is more or less a walk-in type site. You park and then have to haul your gear about 15 yards to your site. The privacy and cliff side campsite is worth it, but there again was no one warning. We were only staying one night and the site was a little impractical for our needs. If you are staying 2-3 nights then grab campsite 4, in the winter months after the leaves have fallen this site would be stunning. It is basically a private overlook to the Mississippi. Only thing that would’ve made this campsite perfect would be running water. Instead you have to walk to the bath house to snag water.

Amenities:

There was electrical hookup at site but no water. (Was not able to locate communal water) Bath house cleaned daily and was a private set room style. Tent pad and campsite is pebbles to allow for moisture/bring long stakes or expect to not to be able to stake in your tent.

Pretty State Park, Hard to Get to

This was a pretty, uncrowded state park in Arkansas. Nice small pond with a good walking trail around it.  The park was hard to get to, narrow/windy roads. I enjoyed my stay there and its great if its on your way from point A to point B.

What it says it is

10/10 would stay again. Pros- Easy to find. Definitely marked campsites. Trashcans. Water. Easy on and off US 67. No one bothered us. Even saw official people in the morning.

Cons- the overpass is right there so it’s not quiet. Someone’s dog barked ALL night. Not another camper- a local’s dog.

Plenty to see and do

This is my neighborhood campground, so i might be a little biased. A great spot to spend the weekend with lots of good trails, a big lake for paddling and fishing, and quaint camp sites. The bathrooms are clean but have strong serial killer vibes. There used to be a pool here. I’d love to see that open again!