Charleston, TENNESSEE

Most Recent Charleston Camping Reviews

Stayed here once. We stayed on the lake and most sites aren’t right on top of each other. Nice swimming/beach area but lacking playground for kids is why I give it 3 stars.

Great Lakeside Campground

Great Lakeside campground. I grew up camping here. It’s close to home and our favorite place to go locally. A lot of the sites are shaded. Sites are spaced out nicely and not on top of each other. No sewer but do have dump station. Owners are friendly and helpful. They have a small playground, two swimming areas and a boat ramp. Sites are gravel and have a fire ring and concrete picnic tables.

All of God's Wonders

The most wonderful place to get closer to God's wonderful handiwork, and see some awesome sights and hear some of the most wonderous tunes nature can provide. This place is so serene and peaceful it will blow your mind, You will get the chance to see,hear all sorts of Wildlife, Bear's and Deer are normal as is Bald Eagles Trout and Various types of Fish, song birds and Plant life. It is National Forest accessable, and Parkway also. Picnic shelters and walking paths for gatherings. Lot of Cherokee Heritage here also.

Great place very kid and pet friendly

Stayed for the 2019 seasonal and loved it. Good friendly people bath houses need updating still pretty clean. Good swimming, boating or fishing right from your lake side site. Will definitely be back

Beautiful and secluded

Great place to go camping! Chris is very helpful, friendly and willing to show you around upon arriving. You will also be introduced to all his great dogs. After that you won’t be bothered unless you need help. Very beautiful wooded area with tons of privacy and plenty of room for everyone. There’s about 40 acres to walk around with an amazing river to walk along. I would highly recommended this place to anyone that doesn’t mind camping without amenities other then what you can bring for yourself.

North Georgia park with Mountain Lake

Fort Mountain State Park We visited this park in early/mid November for 10 days. Keith and I hiked and played hard every day here- despite the early winter storm 🌨, gusty breezes 💨and freezing temperatures ❄️that finally gave way to beautiful crisp days☀️. The park is rich in history but we are not history buffs so we will leave you to get that info from your friend, Google. . 🥾The trails: Get a trail map!! These are awesome trails and varied trails with lots of elevation. The Gahuti is the most known hiking trail here and we never saw another hiker on the trail except each other when our solo hiking excursions crossed paths. The most popular trails here would be the trails to the CC C Tower and overlook and the “wall”- just know these are not easy hikes due to them going up hill. The most stroller/limited mobility friendly trails are the lake trail and the Cool Springs overlook. . Most of the trails except the Gahuti are multi use and there is a strong community of mountain biking here. We didn’t bike the trails here with our hybrid specialized bikes because we felt the trails (other than the lake trail and the park roads) to be too technical for us due to the major elevation changes, loose gravel and rocks. . *Sidenote .

1. You do NOT need a permit or notify park office to hike the mountain bike trails anymore.
  2. If you hike a lot- be aware that some of the double blazes signaling trail split ahead actually already happened by the time you see the blaze. In addition, some trail signage is only on one side of trail or in one direction. (We are one of those couples that creates new hiking loops using existing trails so the signage was a little confusing at times.)
  3. The bike trails are not blazed. We suggest everyone wear a helmet not just the required 16 years and younger group. . ⛱🛶🏊🏼‍♀️The lake area- a small 17 acre spring fed lake is here for your fishing, paddling and swimming pleasure. The area also has putt putt, the only playground,seasonal concession and rentals, beach area and a super nice walking trail for everybody. . 🚍The campground consists of large spacious gravel sites that are well maintained. In the winter, you have lost a lot of privacy foliage but still nicely spaced apart. All sites are 30/50 amp with water. Grey water drains are located around the campground. There is a dump station. Each site has a picnic table and fire ring too. Remember, there are a lot of hills here so expect this when walking to bathouses from most campsites. We had inconsistent cell coverage even with a Winegard booster with AT&T and Verizon. Mornings were best reception and evening were not so good.
    . 🏕Other camping options include, walk in tent camping, pioneer campground for groups, backcountry campsites and super cool and private platform (aka squirrel’s nest 🐿) campsites. . 🏡There are also beautiful cabins with lovely views on the mountain side. Most have mountain/forest views and a very few are near the lake. Realize that most of these are on large hills 🏔 so there will be a nice walk to the lake/recreation area. . We really enjoyed the hiking here so much we never kayaked or fished the lake…(also due in part to the cold temperatures). Our 10 days went super fast and we were never at a loss for something to do. You will truly enjoy this park with its history, mountain and lake views. Happy Camping! Pamela and Keith
Stunning place

We were in the first week of November absolutely lovely park loved the staff in the office they were so accommodating We had a nice level site plenty of space to spread out and kick our shoes off for a few nights sunsets were incredible cool autumn nights Trails galore and nice wildlife scenery for photography

We enjoyed our stay at Raccoon Mountain. Sites were a good size. Not right on top of each other. The caverns were pretty cool. Having the dog park close by was a bonus. We would definitely stay here again.

A place to go back!

My husband and I went this weekend and had a great time! (Although, it rained almost the entire trip.) The primitive sites were great! A little walk to the bathhouse from our site. Bathhouses were clean, heated, and even required a passcode to use. We’re already planning a trip back here with our young boys. So many caverns and caves to explore so don’t let rain deter you from visiting!

Very nice

This campground is private and not very crowded. It has the best bathhouse that is very well maintained. It even has two very sweet campgrounds dogs. One of my favorites.

Details

No firepit but nice flat area above the Falls - just past the natural stopping point for tourists. May have day hikers hiking past your setup if you choose to leave it and go hike.

Very nice campground - great hikes!

This was our 1st time out with our new camper.  We choose it because it was close to the dealer.  I was inexperienced in selecting camp sites and we were in the middle of everything.  Site 24 isn't very private.  But the hiking was great and scenery was beautiful.  They don't call it Fort Mountain for nothing - there was quite a drive uphill to get here.

Really neat experience!

This campground was super different from anywhere I've ever stayed. My family and I went a few years ago on a trip to Tennessee. It was a decent place to stay. We RV camped on this trip, but the campground had tent sites too. Ours was pretty spacious and right next to our friends' site.

What was neat about this campground that it actually is right above a series of caverns, one of the biggest systems in the US I think. We got to go on a 4 hour caving trip led by a guide, which was really awesome. If you're every at this place, definitely book a trip to go around the caves. Also, right at the campground was a place where you could mine for gemstones. This was really great for the younger kids we had with us and pretty fun for me too.

As always, there's some good hiking around. We checked out snoopers rock trail which was beautiful. Also a fun thing to do since the campground isn't too far from Chattanooga was going to watch the Lookouts at a minor league baseball game. This area has a ton of stuff to do and it was a great trip!

Hidden little gem

This is an awesome little dispersed campground alongside a beautiful stream and extremely secluded! If you are looking for something a bit off the beaten path this is your spot. I’d imagine it only fills up during hunting season if ever. I read that the steam is good for trout fishing but I didn’t have any luck. Probably some of the larger pools up or down steam hold fish but right along the campground it wasn’t very deep when we were there. There is not much to this campground at all so make sure you bring everything you need. There is nowhere to purchase anything and you are a good 20 minute drive away from any stores. The bathroom was borderline unusable for anything other than the worst of emergencies and even then I would prefer to venture off into the woods and take my chances. Bathrooms were beyond disgusting. This is not a campground that gets maintained daily. I would imagine maybe once every 2 weeks at most they have a park Ranger role through there and that is probably being generous. It is not trashed by any means and it is a beautiful spot tucked away in the woods. Definitely give this place a shot if you are looking for some seclusion in the north Georgia area and maybe some decent trout fishing.

Hidden little gem

Level park

Level fishing is great. Very few large sites

So much to do! And beautiful fall tent camping

There is so, so much to do at this park. Unfortunately, we only got to hike around the falls since the weather was so bad.

Tent camping review:

• Lots of flat space for your tent, a canopy and for parking
  • Easy to put down stakes
  • A ton of beautiful trees
  • Mostly RVs - as tent campers, we were in the minority
  • Bathrooms were a bit old school; I did not want to shower there
  • A lot of trashcans closeby
  • So many daddy longlegs
Love this park

This park never disappoints!!! Very clean facilities. Breath taking views. Awesome adventure hiking trails!!! A family favorite for sure.

Pretty but Alcohol Not Allowed

Pretty but don’t plan on taking any alcohol. It isn’t allowed at this campground and it’s the same with most campgrounds or sites in this area.

In the middle of nowhere

NIce and peaceful

Great site close to Blue Ridge

We lucked out and got site 33 (it’s a first come, first serve site). It’s close to the water and we visited in late October so there was no one else nearby. We had the beach to ourselves for a meteor shower. The main bathrooms and showers were nice (even heated). They drive firewood and ice out to your site.

Needs Improvement when raining

Its beautiful camping site, however, it floods with even a little rain. There needs a ditch around the road to keep the runoff from flooding the whole place

Awesome Campground on the water

This is an awesome campground on a large lake with fairly secluded sights. Cell phone service was pretty spotty which became an issue while trying to do some hiking. Their are a number of activities available including, hiking, biking, fishing and boating. This campground is extremely family friendly, almost too much for our liking as there were kids EVERYWHERE. There is a large beach area and an event center where they hold daily shows and classes. They even have a put-put course on sight. Bathrooms and facilities were well maintained, clean and plentiful. This is an extremely large campground! My biggest complaint would be the lack of markings on hiking trails. We had a hard time finding some of the trailheads even with the maps provided at the main office. I would like to make a trip back here during the week to avoid some of the crowds but outside of that this is an outstanding place to camp. Even with the weekend crowd we very much enjoyed ourselves!

Bathing optional???

This campground could be amazing, IF they had more than 2 showers! There are only 2 bathhouses in the campground, with only one shower in each women’s and one in each men’s room. Also, there’s only two toilets in each women’s room. This is a real problem when the campground is full, plus a two night minimum was required when I stayed. So if you are not in an rv with a restroom/shower, keep in mind the bathhouse situation.

The campground is right on the lake, and it is beautiful! I stayed in tent site #62, it is the first site when you enter the campground only area. I was in a rooftop tent, so wasn’t able to park on the tent pad, but was able to make it work. The first sites are pretty close together, with not much privacy from your neighbors. There were other sites farther down that looked more spacious. We did not have electricity r water hookups, but there was a water spout nearby. The tent pad was pretty small, and was taken up by a giant concrete picnic table that was too small for an adult to sit at. You would need a small done tent for this one. The site text to us had a couple of some tents and put in on the pad and one on a flat spot in the grass and it worked for them.

The rv sites with hookups are all higher on the hill, but I believe they pretty much all had like views. The sites weren’t as spacious as I would like.

The campground has a swimming area, playground, boat launch, paved walking trails, very popular area for bike riding (if you like hills), fishing, basketball courts, picnic pavilion, etc.

There’s a camp store with essentials, including ice and firewood. The lady working in there was exceptionally nice and friendly!

The campground is conveniently located just a couple miles from the exit, and very close to West Knoxville. I really would love to see some updates on this potential gem!

Very nice campground

The staff was super friendly and very helpful. The bathhouses were clean and plenty of hot water for the shower. Our campsite was large with a fire ring, BBQ grill and picnic table. Also, had a lantern post. We stayed at site A which was down a steep slope but, we had a nice view of the lake and even went for a swim right from our campsite.

Excellent stay.

Owners were cordial and accommodating to our specific need. They rolled out the Red Carpet. Really. A Red Carpet was rolled out as we approached the Registration area. WiFi and Cable TV were outstanding. Strongly recommend.

Jane and Bud offer a simple yet nice place to rest

Nice place with 10 50 amp pull through sites and a few back in 30 amp used by monthly renters that make you feel welcome.

Primarily an RV park

I’m giving this campground 4 stars as an RV park, not as a good spot for tent camping.

There were pros and cons, so I’ll start with the cons- the campground is surrounded by what looked to be a mobile home community. If you stay in an rv site, you probably won’t notice this, but the tent with electric sites are on the outer loop, so we noticed, and heard commotion from the road and community well into the night. The tent/electric sites were slightly wooded, but most are basically in the back yard of said community, so you don’t really have the “camping in the woods” feeling. We were the only occupants of tent/electric and there was not a single tent in the primitive field. The campground is pretty pricey also, compared to other places I’ve stayed.

Pros- This grounds was very clean and well maintained. Every site has gravel, and they had a pile of fill gravel, so I guess they fill it in when it gets low in spots. The restrooms and showers were also very clean and well kept. While I believe there are some long term residents here, the sites were not very cluttered as many are at other parks.

The campground is really close to the exit, and several restaurants, and really close to Chattanooga. There’s a camp store with essentials, including ice and firewood. There’s a pool that looks to be very clean and well maintained.

This is a great spot to spend the night if you are visiting Chattanooga and just need a place to stay close by, but I would say if you are just wanting to camp out, you could find a better spot in the great outdoors for that.

Great views and lots to do.

Some of the sites have excellent lake views. Not too stacked. Nice beach with easy walk around the lake. Great for kids.

Decent site

No sewer hook-ups and alcohol is not allowed on the grounds. Supposed to have a 14 day maximum stay but walking around you can tell there are plenty of long-term parkers. The road in is rough with potholes and the transition from blacktop to cement at the gate is a huge jarring transition. Probably a 3 inch difference. Not exactly what I want to hit on the way to my site.