About Pickwick Landing State Park
Pickwick Landing State Park is located in Tennessee
9 Reviews of Pickwick Landing State Park
Great Place To Call Home For The Night

My son Conner and I stayed at Pickwick Landing State Park on Monday night, July 15. We arrived after dark, but thanks to a park staff member I called earlier, we had an amazing campsite(#18) waiting for us when we arrived. Campsite#18 is located near the bathrooms and shower areas. The restroom and shower building had 8 individual shower rooms with fold down benches. Each of them were big enough to allow someone in a wheelchair to use them. Both the bathrooms and the shower rooms were clean and well stocked. The park staff cleaned them thoroughly the next morning as we prepared to leave. Each campsite has a picnic table, asphalt drive, a fire ring, grill, and lantern post. These sites also have power and water, but they do not have trash cans at the campsite. Trash must be taken from the campsite to the dump station by the campers. If you’re camping here make sure to bring your own trash bags. The sites seemed well spaced and all of them probably have full shade most of the day due to the mixture of pine and hardwood trees that fill the camp. A gas station/bait shop/oyster bar is about a mile away from the camp grounds. Grocery stores and other restaurants are within 5 miles. Though this was a quick camping trip for us(we went to see the Shiloh Battlefield and Shiloh Indian Mounds), the trip was made a little easier by having an efficient, comfortable, and peaceful campsite to call home for a few hours. Be on the lookout for our nighttime visitor Lester the curious racoon. He checked out our campsite after we went to bed looking for an easy meal. Luckily, we had put all of our food securely in the car before calling it a night. This is another 5 star Tennessee State Park campground. Sidenote: We enjoyed a good lunch at a place called the Rib Cage just a few miles from camp. Conner recommends the ribs but not the hot sauce.

Lots of shade

Beautiful park. Nice & clean with recent updates to the bath house. The park is nice & quiet if you’re looking for some relaxation. If you like to fish then you’ll love Pickwick. The fishing is great! They have boat rentals but it’s too expensive in my opinion. The lodge has a delicious buffet if you get there while it’s fresh. The biggest negative is the sites are not level. Some are pretty bad. But they are spacious and are almost all shade.

Uneven Campsites But Great Views

I was in the area checking out Shiloh National Battlefield and they recommended me check out this state park for accommodations for the evening. It was less than 10 minutes up the road and noted to be a resort style state park because they have lodge accommodations and also a restaurant.

When I checked it out it seemed to be a popular place for fishing, though I don't fish, and the lake itself has a swimming area for those like myself. I set up my site through the online booking and I kind of wish I had not because I had no way of knowing what the sites truly looked like. Some of the sites were very uneven and my site was one of those unfortunately. Because of my late arrival there was no way for me to change this so I had to settle with the site which was a bit less than satisfactory. Had I have been able to find a site a little more level I probably would have given this site a higher rating.

My site was only $15 and came equipped with a fire ring and picnic table which is pretty standard. Nothing to special in way of this but the bath houses were very nice and looked like they had been recently remodeled perhaps.

I enjoyed most the area around the lake which included hiking and swimming on the sandy beach. It looked like they maintain the beach well and there was no loose grass growing in it like there had been at some of the other locations I had visited.

I did notice there was an additional area for camping that had hook ups for RVs for $25 those sites seemed more even than the primitive sites in my area.

TIPS:

• Speak to a real person if booking online to find out the lay of the land.
  • Bring your disc golf frisbees if you play they have a great course here.
  • Check out the marina where they have several different kinds of boats and other water crafts to rent for a very reasonable amount.
Nice place

We had a good time there, but there were homeless dogs roaming around that we called about but they didn't seem to care. Poor doggies!

Great park!

The campsites are terribly unlevel. I can honestly say that is the only negative. The campground is very shady & they just improved the bathhouse. The park itself is very spread out. The marina is beautiful & you can rent pontoon boats. Although it is a bit pricey. There are plenty of places for some good fishing. This is such a beautiful park. We love it!

TN State Park

Pickwick Landing offers boating, fishing, hiking, golf course. Cabins, campsites and Inn w restaurant. Activities offered all year round. We love this park.

Resort style campground

This park is smack in the middle of Memphis, Huntsville, and Nashville so it can get pretty crowded. It is very large though, with a full golf course, hotels, cabins, RV/tent camping, sports, kids programs, swimming, fishing, boating, etc. We went here for a family reunion, which was a great venue for that. There is good birding but the trails are very short, so if you are looking for hiking this is not the best place to go, though it is very pretty.

Yay: Campground is wooded and shady, clean but bustling.

Nay: There’s a conference center, so if there’s an event going on then, it will be extremely busy.

Surprise: There are a lot of roads in the park that would be great for biking.

Pickwick Landing

Meh…the sites are dirty with cigarette butts, and the locals tend to use lake sites as swimming holes (like while you are camping, people use the picnic tables at the sites to hold towels and floats). The bath houses are old and smell bad. The showers are little to be desired. Overall, dirty and ill-kept.

Pickwick Landing State Park

The Shiloh Military Park nearby kept us busy for a whole day and we spent the evening swimming (real pool, not just a lake) and grilling and campfire at this campground. We loved this tent site among the trees along the lake (I think it was site # teen-something). It wasn’t crowded in June which was a nice surprise.