Center Hill Lake, TENNESSEE
Camping Tennessee Center Hill Lake
Most Recent Center Hill Lake Camping Reviews
What beauty exists

Such a beautiful park. Spacious sites. Lots of area to roam. Wildlife abundant. Hiking trails. Scenic drives. Lake sports. We will come back.

Love this place.

Very shaded and quiet. Nice store with anything you need. One of my favorite places to go.

Decent

About the only good thing was the view. We had a tent site next to the lake. It was close to the pool so was very noisy. The bathroom near the pool is a unisex two stall very revealing so I often walked to the main bathroom up near the restaurant. Used the shower in the hot tun room was nice but very busy. The first night there was a bunch of girls in the pool and screaming at 4:30am which woke us up. The second morning at 7am the neighboring property was being weedeated. Most likely will not be back even though t is close to our home.

Primitive Camping At Its Best

I camped at Hammock Sway on Friday night, August 9, 2019. According to the camp owner and host Chris, the camp was one year and ten days old the night I visited. This is a primitive camping experience in the pristine woods of Van Buren County, TN about 20 miles(30 minutes) outside of McMinnville, Tennessee. The campground borders the beautiful Rocky River. The camp is a work in progress, but I’m so glad that I was one of those who found it in its infancy. The campsite I chose is buried in a pine forest. Though I was only 30 minutes away from a large town, I felt like I was a million miles away. I enjoyed watching the moon rise through the pines and catching glimpses of the stars through the treetops. This place is beautiful! Chris is a welcoming and helpful host. When I arrived he greeted me with a smile and handshake. I asked him to hop in my SUV, and he gave me the driving tour of Hammock Sway. He showed me each campsite, described why he had chosen it, and then invited me to choose the one in which I felt most comfortable. The site I chose already has a tent setup and is available for campers to use if needed. The site had a rock fire ring and there was plenty of wood to be gathered and used for a campfire. At the moment, all the sites are primitive, which for me, is exactly how I like to camp. Even if every campsite was filled, I doubt you would be able to hear or see anyone else. This is definitely the place to get away from it all. There’s very little cell service, so you will need to make your phone calls before arriving. You will also want to grab all of your supplies before arriving too(this place is out there.) I did struggle to find the campsite since Rocky River Road wasn’t marked with a road sign, but I use paper maps(Lewis and Clark style), so this might not be an issue for someone with GPS in their car or on their phone. Chris responded promptly to text messages, and he helped me find my way in. At the moment, I would only drive a truck or SUV to this camp. You will need the clearance on some of the roads if you want to drive right up to the campsite, and a car might not work at the moment.  You could always park your car and carry your supplies to the campsite if you're okay with that. There’s room for RVs too if that’s your thing. Overall, this is one of those places that I would go back to over and over again. The price is right and the place is perfect. I look forward to watching this camp grow.

Love the quiet

I love the quiet campgrounds and hate close neighbors. This campground doesn't disappoint! All sites are secluded and leave you to your thoughts. It by no means is a fancy campground but well maintained and decent accessibility dont let the map fool you thinking you are near a town. You wont regret it here.

Great location!

Wonderful camping trip with the husband and friends even the pups enjoyed their trip! Had a blast kayaking the river too! Extremely clean and updated bathhouse!

Awesome Private Lake Campground with plenty of lakefront spots available

We stayed at this campground to celebrate one of our family birthdays. We were able to book lakefront sites less than a week in advance and still had empty sites on the lake on both sides of us. The bathrooms were clean and showers plenty warm. They have electric as well as tent sites on the water. The fishing is supposed to be awesome although I didn’t have much luck. I would imagine it is much better before the hotter months of the summer. We were able to paddle all over the lake in our Kayaks as well as float/swim in the water without worrying about much wake. They do run motor boats on it but there are so few on it and lake large enough that it doesn’t affect much. They ran an 11 boat fishing tourney on it the Saturday night we stayed there so maybe the fishing is a bit better after dark in the warmer months. I’ve heard the lake held and or holds the state record bluegill but haven’t been able to verify that yet. Regardless this is an awesome private lake with quality fishing and the ability to spend lazy lake days without much boat, car or foot traffic. The owners are awesome and super helpful! The campground store has almost anything you will need including ice, firewood and of course ice cream. They serve burgers, pizza and much more. This place is a bit of a hidden gem in my opinion! Do yourself a favor and book yourself a relaxing lake getaway!

Nestled in the woods and rolling hills

Standing stone is a small campground that sits in a wooded area surrounded by green rolling hills and farmland. Sites on the outer edges of the loop give a good deal of privacy as they back up to the woods. Sites on the inner portion of the loop leave you more exposed to other campers.

There are some small hiking trails accessible right from the campground, but for more extensive hiking, you'll need to bike or drive to the trailheads; these are definitely worthwhile. They meander among the hills, have lots of creek crossings, and were quiet -- pretty much empty! IF you're interested in gravel bike riding, there are LOTS of gravel roads to ride close to the park. In terms of water activities, there's a small pond right inside the park, but for a real paddling or boating experience, Dale Hollow Lake is the place to go and less than ten minutes away by car.

Bottom line: If you're looking for a smaller campground with private, wooded sites, and want some hiking and gravel biking, come here and grab a site that backs up to the woods. If you're looking for direct access to water sports, you'll probably want to head over to Dale Hollow.

Great place to camp both in tents and or a camper or RV

Sseveral sections to choose from anything from hotel, cabins, tent, camper, or RV sites. Plenty of Hiking trails and a few and swimming spots. Fun for families, friends or couples.

Away from it all

From camping to hiking to kayaking to swimming to horseback riding and treetop adventure this park has it all. We visited in July and the temperature outside was tolerable. We camped in campground A and it was great for family camping. The trails are great. Swimming holes everywhere and the water is refreshingly cold. Saw a lot of baby deer this time of year. It is a bit far (30 minutes) from grocery store so bring enough supplies for your stay. We will come back to this location.

Breathtaking Views

You cant beat the views at this campground. Several of the sites are right along the water. There is hiking which we didn't do, also a couple places to swim. One of my biggest issues with this campground is the signage, there arent any signs leading you to where the campground is, also the camp site numbers themselves are impossible to see in the dark as they are labeled on the electric posts in black, I had to get out of the vehicle and walk the campground to find our site. Also wish there was a small store or at the very least ice available to purchase. All of this can be purchased at the marina store but it is quite the trek to get there. The sites are also extremely close together. Swimming areas were nice, the campground was clean, restrooms were clean, but far from most camp sites, you need to drive to them. They need another restroom/bath house.

Beautiful and well maintained

Very nice. Quiet and clean. Smaller than it looks on the campground map but really friendly people. Bath house is top notch!! Very clean with separate, personal shower rooms with keypad entry.

Hidden gem!

Holpps Pine Ridge Lake is truly a hidden gem! This campground wasn’t listed on The Dyrt, and was even hard to find in a Google search, so I wasn’t sure what to expect, but the place is amazing! A private, family owned lake, which was built by the family in the 50’s or 60’s. The family lives on site, and runs the place, and they are some of the nicest people you’ll find! The campground is not crowded, and I was able to reserve two lakefront sites a week before arrival in July!

It is located in Monterey, TN near hwy 127, which is the site of the “World’s Longest Yard Sale”, so there’s lots of picking to be done nearby, if you’re in to that sort of thing!

The lake is a nice sized lake, large enough for boats and jet ski’s, but calm enough for kayaks and paddle boards. You can get on a float and relax, swim, fish, whatever you want and the water is calm and clear. They sometimes have small fishing tournaments there, and one was going on one of the nights we stayed, roughly 8-10 boats took off around 5pm and returned at 11pm. They also have a picnic pavilion, and an area for weddings.

The campground used to be only primitive, but they recently added hookups, they have several waterfront sites, and all the sites are lake view. They still have a tent area, and day use area. They also have a couple lakefront cabins for rent. They have a playground for children, and a roped off swimming area, although we swam near our campsite. They have 2 bathhouses, they are basic block buildings, but the water is warm, and they are relatively clean.

There is a camp store with all the essentials, plus kayak rentals, a deli, and Mayfield ice cream by the scoop! Everything is priced very reasonably too!

We stayed on A11 and A10, both lakefront, and it was perfect. The sites are very level, and easy water access for kayaks or swimming, or fishing from the bank. We had the red pop-up on site 11, and the tent on 10. Those sites are pretty close to each other. If using a tent, you’d want a tent pad, or air mattress, as the surface is small gravel. All sites have fire rings and picnic tables.

We loved our stay here and definitely plan to return!

Very nice

Enjoyed this park - very nice. The campsite was very clean and fairly easy to get around. I was pleasantly surprised to see all the play areas in each of the campground groupings.  Very nice setup for kids of all ages. There's a huge pool by the lake that you can pay to swim in (11 feet deep at one end). The staff here is very friendly and helpful.

The one complaint I have with the park in general is lack of informational signs about the waterfalls - no warning that to get to certain waterfalls, involves climbing down/up trails that are nothing more then going up and over wet, slippery rocks (not the crushed gravel kind). I asked about this and they are working on getting more information out for this so that people who have health issues can decide whether to go or not. I did it but certainly wish I hadn't - it wasn't easy for someone who has had multiple knee surgeries and has severe asthma. Beyond more information, it would be nice if the handrail went the full length of the trail vs just half of it - that would help a lot!

All in all - very worth the trip to visit and camp here.

Awesome campground

Quiet spot. Lots of wildlife. Great trails. Will definitely go back!

Beautiful and quiet

Beautiful and quiet campground on Center Hill Lake, but getting down to the lake isn’t real easy. Lots of trees between sites so they are private. Bath houses are super clean. Camped with friends, so it was a little awkward having to go from deck to deck and the fire ring wasn’t situated in an area where you could set out chairs and hang out. We were in sites 16 and 17 and would have liked to have been warned about the steep incline as you pull onto the deck (damaged bumper of rv 😬) All that being said, we were able to book these 2 sites together last minute and had a wonderful time.

Camping at Old Stone Fort

My son Conner and I stayed at the Old Stone Fort Campground in Manchester, Tennessee on the night of Monday, July 8, 2019. We arrived at the park and were checked in at the museum entrance by the helpful and courteous staff. They really made us feel welcome. The campground setting is dense, lowland hardwood. The sites are very close together, so you will need to love your neighbor as yourself on holidays, or if you need solitude, you may need to go during the week or on non-holiday days. Each site had a water spigot, electrical hookups, an asphalt pad, a fire ring with grill, and a standalone grill. Some sites had a raised, gravel tent pad which would come in very handy on nights when rain’s in the forecast. The bathrooms were old, but they were clean, well stocked, and functioning. Recycling bins were also located near the well lit bathrooms. Trash was picked up in the morning from the campsite, and throughout the day and night rangers and park staff made their scheduled rounds for security. The campground is near the Old Stone Fort which is a stone wall constructed nearly 2,000 by the native people of the Tennessee Valley. Its sacredness is felt as you tour the many waterfalls that surround the campground and archaeological site. There are numerous swimming holes for kids and adults and a non-motorized boat launch near the campgrounds. There is a small museum on site and is free to the public. After the museum tour, you can walk the trails free of charge and see the ancient ruins. If you are going to the campground during the summer, you will need a good DEET based bug spray. For those traveling in RVs, you will need to call ahead and make sure your RV can make it across the one lane bridge that serves as the only entrance to the campground. In addition, it’s worth noting that the campground is near the small town of Manchester. You will hear an occasional siren, but other than that you will feel like you are a thousand miles away from town. I’d suggest driving through the campground and selecting a couple of possible campsites before registering. The three loops are well used, but we enjoyed staying on the main drive. Overall, this is a wonderful campground near a very fascinating archaeological site. The trails and waterfalls make this a great place to visit if only for a day.

River front camping!

Campground parallels the Obey River. Plenty of fish opportunities from boat, kayak, wading and shoreline. Campsites have plenty of shade but restroom/shower houses could use some repair/updating. Also bring plenty of ice as there is no ice machine on site. Nearest place to get ice is 2 miles away in Celina TN

Beautiful and super clean!

This was our first time at Mountain Glen and we will return! If you are looking for a quiet, clean and beautiful campground, this is the place. Full hook ups, very pet friendly, friendly staff. Giving it ALL the stars. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Immaculate!

Couldn't have been any better. One of the best sites I've been to. Made our anniversary weekend that much more enjoyable.

Beautiful, peaceful sites on the water

Despite the fact that we were tent camping, we booked in a premium site, on the water with power and water. The sites are on platforms over the lake bank. We loved this campground! It is very clean. The bathrooms and showers were immaculate as well, despite the fact that the campground is at capacity. Good WiFi signal. Camp store is on site. Marina is a one mile hike, or accessible by car. Sites on the lake have water, electric, fire ring and second water spigot. One downfall is that there is poison oak EVERYWHERE. The boardwalk to the bath house is lined with it. Choose which walkway you use, because the one from the cove can’t be walked without poison oak brushing your feet and legs. Checkout is noon. We had a great stay.

More for RV’s then tents

Poole knobs was not a terrible place to camp but it appeared to have better sites for RV’s then tents. The tent sites had minimal space to pitch a tent unless you have a single person tent or you pitched the tent on a slope. We only stayed one night because a bad storm came through And a tree fell on our tent ending our trip early. The campground lost power but without expecting or asking for it(because they can not control the weather) they refunded the $$ we spent to stay there.

Ranger Review: Grub Stick Deluxe Kit at Fall Creek Falls State Park

Campground Review: Fall Creek Falls State Park is located in Spencer, TN. This is one of the best state parks I’ve been to- gorgeous waterfalls, miles of hiking trails, a great lake for kayaking, and multiple swimming holes are just a few of the offerings. We stayed in the B section, sites B50 and B51. Each site can accommodate at least 2 tents and 1 RV. Sites come equipped with electric hookups, fire rings, and water. The campsites are full of trees perfect for attaching hammocks and enjoying the shade. There are bathhouses with showers and toilets(some of the cleanest I’ve ever seen at a campground) located throughout each campground area, so all of the sites are close to a bathroom. The camp check-in office sells ice and firewood, but unfortunately the firewood they sold us was wet and we had a hard time getting a fire going. That was really the only negative experience we had- everything else was wonderful. There are far too many activities to try in one weekend, so we chose to hike the trail down to the base of Fall Creek Falls(the main waterfall). This hike was a little more intense than I was expecting, but it was beautiful- I’ve included pictures with the review. Warning- it’s very slippery, especially while being pulled by a very excited puppy! We also went to George Hole, a fantastic swimming hole right by the camping area. The water was pretty cold while we were there, but if you visit later in the summer I’m sure it would be perfect. Other highlights of our trip were kayaking at the lake, where you can rent canoes or kayaks or use your own($5 fee), and the awesome but scary swing bridge behind the nature center. I absolutely recommend visiting and camping at Fall Creek Falls State Park!

Gear Review: Grub Stick Deluxe Kit

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I sometimes get gear to review on my camping trips. For this trip, I reviewed the Grub Stick Deluxe Kit. The kit comes with 2 Handles, 2 Forks, 1 Grubcage, 1 Burgcage, 1 Grubtube, 1 Grubpocket, Silicone Trivet, Release Tool, Bacon Clip, Grabber, and a really nice bag. I like that the kit comes with 2 handles, as it allows both my husband and I to cook at the same time. We cooked several meals- hot dogs on the forks, bell peppers in the grubcage, pinapple rings in the burgcage, marshmallows on the forks, s’mores in the grubcage, crescent roll dough on both the grubpocket and the grubtube (which we filled with pie filling), and our favorite, barbecue tempeh in the burgcage. For those unfamiliar, tempeh is a fermented soybean patty that you can marinate and cook using countless methods. I steamed the tempeh for 10 minutes at home before our trip, and put it in a ziplock bag with barbecue sauce(homemade or store bought- whichever you prefer). We then cooked it over the fire using the burgcage for about 5 minutes on each side and it was absolutely delicious! Our other favorites were the pineapple rings and the bell peppers. Cooking the whole s’more, which Grub Stick has demonstrated on their Instagram, didn’t work out so well- the cracker burned, the chocolate melted everywhere, and the marshmallow didn’t roast. I recommend using the fork attachment to roast marshmallows the old fashion way. The only negative experience we had was with the burgcage- after a few uses the clasp where the cage closes became too loose, and we sadly lost a pineapple ring. I tried to squeeze it tight again with the gripper, but I think it will require pliers. We love our Grub Stick and definitely recommend it. It’s super lightweight and portable. I look forward to using it on future campouts!

Great Park With a Really Nice Campground

We totally just stumbled upon this park, and we are so glad we did. We came to the area to visit Rock Island SP, but their campground was full, so we looked for the next closest option. The park itself is beautiful, and the campground was really nice. They have multiple campgrounds. We stayed in B at site 78 and loved that it was on the backside with no one behind us. The sites were large with nice fire rings and picnic tables. The bathrooms and showers were clean and well-maintained. We would definitely camp here again.

Hidden Gem

An amazing campground! Maintained great! Beach area is clean and away from the main lake. Our campsite was right on the water. Even tough it was full, it was quiet! Staff was super helpful and friendly! We will definitely come back!

Wonderful campground

Mostly flat campground with great water views about everywhere. Private beach access and some playground areas. Nice bathhouses but could use shivering updating. Very close stores and a boat rental and restaurant at the beginning of the park. Super nice staff and all around clean area.

Beautiful park.

Close drive to town, but far enough out not to have the noise. Really clean campground and nice bathhouses. Several areas for activities. And some really nice spots with several being right on the water. The only drawback is there is no swimming. Its a really great place for when it's too cold to swim anyway. Lots of hiking areas to.

Beautiful and secluded

This is one of those spots you can really get away at. It's a long drive in, too the point your not sure your on the right road, lol. The phone service is spotty at best, which i love but the seclusion and views are great. It's really a hidden gem thats all by itself. Great wildlife viewing, great fishing and all around a great campground. The bathhouses are a little spread out but that's because your pretty spread out. One of my favorite places.

Beautiful setting

This is our first trip (it won’t be our last) to Rock Island State Park. We are very fortunate to have a campsite with full shade. From what I can tell most of the sites are partial shade. It’s 90• and muggy but we haven’t needed our AC at all. We’ve actually gotten a little cool during the night. The park is very quiet. I love that the sites have a good amount of space between them. They all appear to be fairly level too. Some of the sites have a step down to get to the grill, fire pit & picnic table. Because of that it limits the space you have to sit under your awning. So I would look @ the pictures of the individual sites carefully before picking one, if that’s important to you. The bathhouse is very clean & the showers have plenty of hot water. McMinnvile is only a 15 drive if you want groceries or If you’d like to go out to eat. Although there is a nice store with a good little restaurant just outside the park. My husband & I ate there once & it was very good. They have a menu with the usual stuff on it as well as a meat & 3. There is a lot to see here. And old textile mill, waterfalls & an old pump house that was used for the small town of Rock Island as well as for the textile mill in case of fire. My husband & I highly recommend this park…..just don’t get our spot ;)

A Campground with Lots to Do but with Interesting Tent Pads

Edgar Evins State Park is a large park with lots of activities for young and old. However, if you want to stay in the campground, make sure to take a freestanding tent unless you have creative ways to keep your tent up. Most of the sites have wooden platforms, and the fire pits are beside the road. Perhaps most people like that sense of permanence, but I personally prefer solid ground or even gravel pads. Fortunately, the one I used was a free-standing tent. There is another option, and that is to stay in the primitive camping area. Of course, they are walk-in sites, but they are not far from where you park. I would normally choose the primitive camping area for a couple of reasons. There is a little more privacy, and you have soft ground on which to pitch your tent. Obviously, if you are an RV camper, staying in the primitive area does not apply. Unfortunately, it was better this time to choose a site that you don’t have to walk to. Out of all the state park campgrounds I have visited, the bath rooms in this state park are the best. They are modern with tiled floors, and the showers resemble ones you would find at privately owned campgrounds. There are several different activity options—volleyball, horseshoes, playgrounds, hiking trails, etc. There is also an aviary, a marina, a restaurant, and a couple of boat ramps. For the children, there is the“Storybook Trail.” For other overnight options, there are also cabins that you can rent. In retrospect, the primitive area would have been a better choice. It definitely would have been more quiet. No matter whether you stay in the primitive area or the regular camping area, you will encounter hilly terrain. The camp store is fully stocked with most of your camping needs, and there is also a laundry. Overall, Edgar Evins State Park was a good place to spend time, but again, I have my doubts about the wooden platforms.