Standard (Tent/RV)
About Cosby Campground

Tucked in the mountains under a canopy of cool shade, this campground creates a peaceful and secluded environment for visitors, offering the best that the Great Smoky Mountains National park has to offer.

More than 100 campsites are available at Cosby TN Campgrounds on a first-come, first-served basis and 26 campsites are available for advanced reservations. All campsites accommodate tents and, even when all reservation sites are booked, tent campers are likely to find a great site anytime except Memorial Day, July Fourth and Labor Day weekends. RV sites are less common and reservations are recommended on busy weekends. Call (423) 487-2683 to check availability. This campground is usually quieter and without the hustle and bustle of the busier campgrounds. Come and give this campground a try!

Natural Features:

World-renowned for its diversity of plant and animal life, the beauty of its ancient mountains and the quality of its remnants of Southern Appalachian culture, Great Smoky Mountains is Americas most visited national park.

At 2,460 feet, Cosby Campground provides a moderate climate, characterized by mild winters and hot, humid summers.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park preserves a rich cultural history of Southern Appalachia. From the prehistoric Paleo Indians to the early 19th century European settlers, the park strives to protect the historic structures, landscapes and artifacts that tell the stories of the people who once called these mountains home.

Recreation:

Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a hikers paradise, with over 800 miles of maintained trails ranging from short, leg-stretchers to strenuous treks, with a number of those trails easily accessible from Cosby Campground, including the Appalachian Trail, just three miles away via the Lower Gap Trail.

Hiking is not the only reason for visiting the Smokies: Fishing, picnicking, wildlife viewing and auto touring are popular activities.

Campers can enjoy high-quality backcountry fishing in the cool waters of the countless streams and rivers that snake through the mountains, with trout available in abundance.

Wildlife viewing is a popular pastime, and with around 1,500 bears living in the park, its not uncommon for visitors to spot one. The park is a sanctuary for a magnificent array of animal and plant life, all of which is protected for future generations to enjoy.

The park also holds one of the best collections of log buildings in the eastern United States. Over 90 historic structures, including houses, barns, outbuildings, churches, schools and grist mills, have been preserved or rehabilitated in the park.

Facilities:

Cosby Campground provides campers with a secluded environment for traditional camping. Though some RV sites are available, Cosby is mostly a tent campground, with plenty of shade and tent pads at each site, along with fire rings, grills and tables, perfect for family meals and late night smores.

The site offers modern amenities like flush toilets and drinking water. Although 26 sites are reservable, an additional 131 sites are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Nearby Attractions:

Cosby, Tennessee, located about five miles from the campground, offers convenience stores and fuel.

Gatlinburg, a one of the Smokies famous tourist towns, is located about 20 miles from the site, offering visitors tours, organized rafting trips, museums, restaurants, galleries, an aquarium, skiing and more.

ACTIVITIES

Max Length: 40 ft.
Cosby Campground is located in Tennessee
-83.2086 W
Directions
From Cosby, TN, proceed south on TN 32 about 1.5 miles south of the junction with US 321. Turn right at Cosby sign. Campground is another 2 miles.
49 Reviews of Cosby Campground
Our favorite place in the Smokies

My husband and I have been camping in the Smokies and surrounding areas for years. This is our favorite spot. Much quieter than the other campgrounds in the park. Several wonderful hikes right out of the campground.

True camping at its best! Private wooded sites and more!

Cosby Campground is a stunningly beautiful place to camp. Clean, bathrooms, very private sites. Mostly tent sites a few RV sites. But, No Electric, No Cell Service, and No Showers! What a good feeling to be totally disconnected. I literally could not check my messages, work emails, phone calls. No excuses.

Just out of a Totally off grid few days at Cosby Campground in Tennessee. We did a 5 mile hike up the side of a mountain, 2,300 feet in elevation gain, to Henwallow Falls that kicked our asses! Steep hills, mud, slippery rocks and roots, over narrow log bridges to get to the waterfall and then… back down. We are hurting today! But a good kind of accomplishment pain. We did it!

Our pictures are of site 88 and site 75. Two big RV spots for our tiny squaredrop camper. Remember, no power. We used out jackery 1000 for recharging small electronics the 5 days we were there.

88 was more private. But if we had to go again… we saw #93. Great Big and Private RV site in a corner.

AtlasJeeper

@AtlasJeeper

Great introduction to the Great Smokies

After a careful amount of research I selected this campground as my destination and home for a couple days as I got acquainted with the Great Smoky Mountains. The campground itself is pretty immaculate. The NPS personnel are friendly, helpful, and professional. The trail right by my campsite leads directly to the Low Gap Trail, which is apparently the most difficult trail in the entire park (which I learned from a ranger on the way DOWN).

The park and staff are very serious about bears, for good reason. I can say I didn’t personally experience any sign, sight, or sound of one while I was there. I did come across someone on my hike who ran across one while hiking the day before. They’re definitely out there, so bone up on your preparedness and come equipped. I was alone, so I had a bear bell at my waist, ringing with every step.

Cosby is a neat little town. The prices at Janice’s Diner are crazy low, just make sure you bring cash.

Nice place

Stayed here last year for a quick getaway and it was perfect for our needs

Wooded Wonderland

We had an great time. Several hiking trail heads start in the campground. The AT is also just a short walk from the campgrounds. Beautiful trees and wildlife! We met a bear. Would be 5 stars except for how far it is from Gatlinburg and the main areas of the National Park

Wooded Wonderland

Simple Pleasures

I truly love this campground. It is for campers who want to get back to the basics. No electricity, no water hookup at the sites, and no sites that accommodate large campers or trailers. Instead, the campground offers beautiful scenery, lovely trails, and peace and quiet. If you’re not a “glamper” and you want to get away from it all in a rustic, peaceful atmosphere, then this is the place for you.

Quiet side of the Smokies

This is our favorite campground in the Smokies, we go here often.  FYI there are NO showers at campgrounds in the GSMNP.  There aren't any groceries stores near by so have what you need before.  There are a few small stores near the entrance.  There are way fewer tourist on the east side of GSMNP.  Chataloochee Valley is nice day trip to see all the Elk and historical buildings also really nice hiking.

Nice and peaceful as this campground is very private. In a beautiful spot on the she of the smoky mountains. Bring extra water and bug spray!

Tenting in the Smoky’s

Cosby was a great campground. Sites did not seem too close with all the trees around. B loop is better than A loop but requires a reservation for most sites. Most sites have steps up or down to the site along the backside of B loop.