the dyrt
Private
Greenbrier Campground is located in Tennessee
10 Reviews of Greenbrier Campground
One of our favorites

The new owners have done an amazing job with the renovations. So good unfortunately that it is becoming very hard to get a spot. The river is amazing and great for tubing, fishing, and swimming. The bathrooms are the best I have ever seen in a campground. They are currently expanding so hopefully I can get back out there soon. Directly across the street from a quiet entrance to the national park. Great staff. Great campground. Highly recommend.

Great Proximity To Entry Of Smoky Mountains

When I traveled to Tennessee I really wanted to explore the Smoky Mountains and all there was to offer. I had so many suggestions as to which campground was the best and which I needed to stay at that I had to take the time to see as many of these options as I possibly could. This one was at the top of the suggested campsite list because of the following river just behind many of the campsite and the proximity to the entry of the mountains from Gaitlinburg.

I pulled in and it was a bit crowded. And by a bit I mean really crowded. Spaces appeared to be closer together than I typically would like my neighbor to be. Maybe it was my time of visitation, maybe it was the site itself but it just seemed like it was going to be a getting to know your neighbor moment from the start. And that it was! Lucky for me my neighbors were nice and didn't have any random dogs running and barking like some of those across the way.

I had reserved an actual site with amenities of electricity and water instead of opting for the tent site which looked a bit more like general population. I needed the power for my devices and so I thought the cost difference was worth it. Little did I know when booking just how much that would be to my advantage when I arrived. Not only did this give me water right behind me but it. also kept me from having neighbors really on top of me like the general population seemed to be.

The facilities included very nice restrooms which quite frankly made me do a double take on if I was at a campground. Then there was the clubhouse which had a lot of things that no other campground I had visited thus far in the Smokey Mountains had. I guess this is what you get when you stay at a privately owned site versus a government owned and maintained facility. There were also volleyball and basketball in addition to a pretty nice playground for the kiddos. I was pretty happy this was here because it kept kids from running crazy through camp looking for activities like they had been at a few of the other stops I had made.

So what was the kicker?

THE PRICE! They have 3 seasons at this campsite High, Low and Holiday and each season has a different price point. You are by far paying for your access to those amenities. Like I mentioned before I chose an upgraded site which I paid $39 for versus the $29 they were charging for group site camping which was primitive. They also had some non water tent sits which were $35 and that was on the low side as opposed to the RV rates which were so high I would have never considered staying during high season in excess of $45 to $69.

This by far was one of the nicest camps I have been to on this side of the Mississippi but it also came with a hefty price tag!

TIPS:

• Chose your time wisely. During high season it is always busy, try coming during low season and on a weekday.
  • Take full advantage of all amenities including the wifi and cable tv offered at each site! Mine as well if you are paying that much.
camping on the river!!

Great place for kids, awesome shower house, beautiful views, people very friendly.

Amazing views

We stayed in the waterfront walkin only tent site right by the river. Beautiful!!!

Restrooms and showers are very clean with AC!

Only 20 min from downtown gaitlinburg!

Majestic mountain beauty

The sound of the bubbling river right outside your door or tent flap. Rafting down the river to the swimming hole or just sitting on a rock. Fishing at the swimming hole in the evening is also a great activity for the family. Hands down my favorite campground. Oh did I mention the beautiful bath houses with granite and rock accents? Still looking for a bear in those mountains.

Love this campground.

Stumbled across this campground while camping elsewhere a couple of years ago. Looked so pretty and clean. Stayed here last November. The campground had only a few campers during the week. We were right on the river, and even though it was cold and wet, we had a great time. Are staying at Greenbrier next week and looking forward to it.

My home Away From Home

2times a year I live on a little patch of sacred ground (site #withheld) on the Little Pigeon River riverbank. There is a boulder a few feet away from the bank. Those who know me know my story and that I call that big rock, Serenity Rock.

fantastic family campground

This campground is top notch. I’ve stayed here several different times in different seasons. The grounds are well kept with plenty of amenities for families. I look forward to our next trip here.

Great Family Experience

Me and my family has been to this campground a few times now and it is hands down my favorite! We live 6 hours away but frequently visit the area through out the year. We have tent camped back home but wasn’t sure with bears and the kiddos as they are always scared of sounds at night lol. So we stumbled onto Greenbrier via web. They have campers set up fully equipped besides blankets pillows or even towels when ch is no big deal to bring along. The campground is surrounded by water and you can hear the creek from the site. They have a really nice bath house too. I love to fish and fishing is just a few steps away. My kids loved it and so did we and will definitely be back on a our next trip.

Ranger Review: Warm Eats with Mountain House on Cold Days at the Greenbriar

The Greenbriar Campground was the Cadillac of campgrounds in the area, unfortunately we arrived on a weekend that would have been better suited to the “pontoon boat” of campgrounds.

Greenbriar is located near the Greenbriar entrance of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, very near the arts and crafts district of Gatlinburg. Access to the facility is by a small bridge that runs over the Little Pigeon River, which splits and runs around the Greenbriar, making it an island of sorts. This is notable as nearly every campsite backs up to the river. There are a handful of internal tent sites and rentable cabins as well. But the vast majority of sites have river access, including a fire pit mounted in the rocks RIGHT ON the river. Imagine yourself peacefully sitting out under the stars, mountain peaks in view, the rush of the Little Pigeon, illuminated by the fire directly in front of you. Though the water fluctuates with rainfall quite a bit, you can always hear it from your tent or RV, which was an added bonus. During warmer months, children can play and swim in the clear and smooth stoned river. There’s also an historic swimming hole on location. Several campers even had hammocks set up between trees that hung over the water on their sites.

Sites are narrow and fairly close together, although they’ve done an excellent job of maintaining the heavy trees around the river and on the “treelawn” area which separates each site. This helps to make a narrow space seem deceptively private. These sites also come equipped with water, sewer and electric hook ups, and even a cable hookup! A newer and clean picnic table is also provided. They designate those few interior sites as “tent” - not that you cannot reserve the other sites with a tent, but because the internal sites have soft, level grass to pitch on, whereas the outlying ones have level pea gravel across the entire site. Ample space is provided for your car to park at the edge of your site - they are long and narrow. I’d recommend a base padding or doubled tarp under your tent if you choose to go that route. Stakes may not hold well in the gravel and somewhat better in the “treelawn” dividers on either side.

Activities and facilities are aptly located in the center of camp. A playground, bath house, laundry facility, game room (with one game! - but to make up for that, it also has couches and a large flat screen TV which many campers happily watched March Madness together on), as well as campstore and volleyball and basketball courts make up the internal area of the camping island, keeping the sites themselves fairly free of noise and passers by. There is also free and reliable WiFi in the campground. This is notable because the area’s mountains make reception touch and go mostly.

This was a pet friendly campground, and many campers had their dogs with them. There was also a small dog park where owners could unleash their pets and let them roam a little. In spite of this, dog barking seemed to be kept in check. It was also a family friendly campground, and the kids seemed to really enjoy the playground coordinated games and socializing.

The bath house appeared to be newer, and will trump your home facilities in many cases! Within the bath house, there are several private doors leading to your own 3 piece bath with shelving and granite counters with outlets, and a stunning double shower. In spite of a very wet and cold weekend, we were pleased at how clean these were kept, as well as the whole campground - likely due to the fine, well draining pea gravel of all the paths.

As a Dyrt Ranger, I often get the opportunity to test products on our trips. This weekend we sampled the Mountain House Turkey Dinner Casserole. Despite traveling during the last weekend in March, we encountered very wet and cold weather for the region, and a warm meal was a welcome bonus. Mountain House has a simple preparation, all that is required is hot water to prepare, and the entire prep is done within the package itself, minimizing waste and cleanup. We also ate ours right out of the package as a bowl. The package also seals if you are hiking in and have to bring your rubbish back out in a pack. The meal itself was surprisingly good for a complete rehydration kit. My husband noted that it also seems as though they may have reformulated, the the veggies were brighter and the general consistency was more appealing than we’ve experienced in the past of these types of meals. It was quickly prepared and suitable for two adults.

The campground is perfectly situated for an unending array of activities. Arts and crafts, shopping and the GSM park entrance are all within minutes, and trailheads abound. 15 mins away is Pigeon Forge and all the entertainment that area offers. Access to all is easy and straightforward. Note: Always check the Smoky Mt National Park page before heading out. Given the dramatic nature of the area, including damage and changes in the land and vegetation (which didn’t impede our enjoyment or the natural beauty of the area, by the way) from the recent fires have left some of the trails unstable and can close suddenly. Also - if you wish to hike with your dog, there is only one trail available to you which runs down the side of a beautiful river from the visitors center and lets out directly into the pretty mountain town of Gatlinburg, packed with dining, whiskey walks and various forms of minor entertainment. We went at the very start of their peak tourist season, in inclement weather, and the walks were still crowded. Further in, you will find abundant hikes of varied lengths and difficulties, and many features like waterfalls, rushing rivers, historical primitive sites and much wildlife.

Overall, it is evidence of a great campground and region that we were able to pack so much in over a 3 day weekend in spite of the poor weather and lower temps. All left feeling refreshed and happy from the Greenbriar and the Smoky Mountains.