the dyrt
THE BEST CAMPING IN
Tennessee

Campers venturing across Tennessee have access to hiking, boating, fishing, biking, rock climbing and picnicking across 56 state parks, enough variety to satisfy any adventurer’s soul. With terrifically high Appalachian peaks and plunging caverns, Tennessee travelers can get a sense of the sublime landscape that inspired music legends from Nashville to Memphis by camping in Tennessee.

East Tennessee is home to a part of the oldest mountain range in the world, the Great Smoky Mountains. As the name suggests, the peaks are often shrouded in fog, but that doesn’t make the view from Clingmans Dome any less spectacular. At 6,643 feet, Clingmans Dome towers as the highest point in Tennessee and the third highest point east of the Mississippi River. Make sure to say hi to the hardcore hikers, many people hiking the entire Appalachian Trail will stop at this unforgettable lookout.

A clear day at the dome observatory provides views as far as 100 miles. But explorers camping in Tennessee should plan on hiking their way up to the point, the roadway that leads to the observatory closes during inclement weather and from Dec. 1 to March 31 every year.

If you’re camping with the kids and they’re looking for more occupation than your campsite offers, many of the natural attractions in Tennessee are also family friendly. Lookout Mountain is only minutes from Chattanooga and offers several world-famous sites like Rock City and the See Seven States point.

All the mountain peak trails may leave the heights-averse camper less than enthused. But Tennessee has something for everyone. Also at Lookout Mountain, but plummeting beneath ground level, is where you’ll find Ruby Falls, the largest and deepest underground waterfall in the nation.

Scenic views and dramatic natural landscapes are part and parcel for any Tennessee camping adventure, as long as you know where to look. Camping in Tennessee can be done right with The Dyrt to guide you along your trails!

Recent Reviews in Tennessee
Pretty views

Nice clean campground lots of waterfront.

The Best of the Best!

Mountain Glen is a hidden gem! If you are traveling through eastern TN or just looking for a place to park your RV for a few weeks or longer of peaceful quiet then you have to stay here. I've stayed in RV parks across 38 states and never found cleaner bathrooms, friendlier customer service, or faster WiFi (and that's important since I work remotely!) than what Mountain Glen RV Park offers. They've also got great water pressure, easy pull-throughs, after-hour check-in options, and a convenient store in case you forgot some essentials. In addition to the great amenities, you'll be greeted by rolling scenic vistas of beautiful countryside, having fishing opportunities, pavilion or indoor meeting room to hang out with friends, playground for the kids, and pet friendly areas for your dogs to enjoy.

Mountain Glen is definitely a must-stay and the best of the best of all the RV parks and campgrounds I've ever stayed at!

Beautiful State Park

Friends and I rented a cabin here the 3rd time. It is simply beautiful. The mountains, creeks and nature are breathtaking. There are a lot of hiking trails near by. From easy to moderate… so something for everybody. The cabins are very nice and clean. They have everything you need. I would definitely recommend to stay here and enjoy this gem of nature.

All time favorite campground!

This is my favorite campground! It could be because I’ve been camping in Cades Cove every year since I was 5. I’m 30 now & married my husband at the missionary baptist church in cades cove in 2014. Many good memories have been made in this campground. It’s primitive $20 a night no hook ups large wooded sites. One loop generators are allowed & another loop they aren’t so that’s nice. It’s peaceful & very quiet. There’s a river that runs a long the outside of the campground. Good swimming holes. A store that sells food (the best ice cream), firewood & camping supplies. They also have bike & helmets for rent. They’re very strict about bear proofing your campsite. All my years camping there I’ve seen many bear walking through the campground. So it’s for your safety & the bears that you obey the rules. The rangers walk around frequently & make sure no ice chest or grills have been left out so before you leave your campsite make sure to pick those items up or they will get confiscated & you will get a little ticket. Again it’s all for your & the bears safety. The 11 mile loop is closed for vehicles on wed & sat mornings until 10:00 am so bikes can ride through. I highly recommend walking or riding your bike through early in the morning or in the afternoon. There is a halfway point to use the restroom & buy some souvenirs. Also there is a road called parsons branch most of the time it’s closed but we’ve been lucky a few times & it’s been open. Definitely need a suv or truck to drive down it bc you cross over water a few times. EXTREMELY PEACEFUL! All 3 times we’ve driven it we never saw anyone else. It’s a narrow road & you end up on the dragon in North Carolina so you’ll have a nice drive down the foothills parkway to get back. Also rich mountain road is beautiful to drive down in the fall. It will bring you back out in townsend.

The best!!

This is my 2nd favorite campground ever! The sites are huge, the river running through is perfect for inter tubbing, good swimming areas, tons of hiking, & beautiful scenery. PEACEFUL!! My parents started bringing me camping here when I was 9 we’d come every year for a week. I’m 30 & married now so I drag my husband camping here ha I still tube on the river & hiking is the best. My favorite time to come is summer. I’ve camped there twice during the synchronized firefly show (definitely look it up if you haven’t heard of it). The campground closes from Nov-March but you can still go in & hike. March is a gorgeous time to go & there aren’t a lot of people camping around that time. It’s primitive so there aren’t any hook ups at all. There aren’t showers but they have many nice bathhouses set up that have toilets & sinks. Highly recommend!!

Nice campground in the city

I don’t like camping in the city, but Elkmont is closed from Nov-March. We try to come up camping in this area 4 times a year. Camp Riverslanding is our campground for after Christmas/New Years. We’ve stayed 2 years in a row & have reservations for this year. It’s quiet, spacious sites, some site on the river, very clean restroom/showers, laundry room & large play area for children. The staff are always extremely friendly & we’ve never had any issues while camping there. There’s a trolley that stops in the campground to take you wherever you want to go. Would definitely recommend this campground.

Super clean and well organized

We stayed here just one night but it was incredibly clean, well organized and easy every step of the way from our night time arrival to our departure. They have a boat ramp, playground, pool, arcade, fireplaces and more. We would return for a longer time in the summer.

Hidden gem

Love this place. Nice lake. Hiking trail, beach, swimming, fishing. Nice bathrooms with showers. Camp store and best of all no cell service! Near falls and the skyway to dragon scenic route. Joyce Kilmer memorial forest has some huge trees about a mile in on a hike.

Camp by the water

COE-Campground. I love this campground, but hate the reservation system. Problem seeing sites booked, and the party no shows leaving a great site unavailable. Very frustrating. This reason knocks it down a couple notch’s on rating system.
Otherwise this is one of the best campgrounds in Tennessee. Beautiful lake views with rolling hills. Phone, TV, Satellite maybe unavailable on some sites. Campground does offers full hook- up, however some sites do not have sewer or 50 amp. Great for families! Kayaking and fishing and also beach for swimming. Picnic table and fire ring at all the sites. Book early!

Camp by the water

We are in a 35’ 5th Wheel. Most sites easy access, some sites maybe tight for bigger Rigs.
Some sites have Full Hook-up, 50 amp. (Sewer not available on water sites.). This campground is family friendly. Great for kayaking, fishing, swimming, and family gathering.

Camp by the Lake!

You can camp by the water at Tim’s Ford Lake. Some sites have full hook up’s up to 50 amp. Sewer hook up is not available at the water sites. We enjoy this campground. Great for kayaking and fishing. Family friendly.
35’ Fifth Wheel was a breeze at most sites, a couple sites may be tight.

Best Resort in the Us!

Splurge for once, well worth it. This resort has everything covered. Beautiful outdoor stone fire places at some sites. Beautiful views overlooking Douglas Lake.

Feels like family

We love big meadow We were there long term for a few months while house hunting and they took very good care of us Clean and safe We never had to worry about our son roaming around with our dog and his bike Also you have the awesome Little river right in your front yard. So close to hiking and kayaking.

A little slice of heaven on earth

This is by far my family's favorite campground. Spacious sites with plenty of privacy, super-clean bathrooms, even a place to wash dishes with hot water. Patrick and Emily are the nicest people you can ever hope to meet and treat all their campers like family. If you're looking for a place to relax, reconnect with nature and unplug from the craziness, this is the place.

Nice

Very quiet in winter

Great campground

Very busy in summer but very nice in winter.

Prefect weekender for the family

Nice wooded sites with decent bathhouses. Play sets, mostly paved roads perfect for riding bikes. My family really enjoyed tent camping at Fall Creek Falls.

Nice and easy camping

There is easy access and and plenty of space. Very close to where I live so it a great weekender.

Little piece of heaven!

Love this little piece of heaven! Kept secret cuz it’s so peaceful and the owners are so amazing and friendly! Great environment and actually staying here right now with my husband and kids! Plan to stay!

Ocoee Outdoors Rafter Campground

If you float the Upper, Middle or Lower with Ocoee Outdoors ask if you can stay on a tent site or in a lean to. The campground was the former bunk house for the season raft guides until “that guy” ruined it for everyone. Now it’s selectively available for clients upon request and has a full bath house on site. You may end up having the place to yourself which can be a plus.

Hiwassee Outfitters

Excellent sites, small outfitter store with food, drink, sundries. Breakfast & Lunch Diner. Multiple Float Rental types including sit in, sit on and inflatable kayaks. Shuttle to top for put in and take out at camp ground on the river. Clean bath house and hot showers. This is a popular location for the regional university students so expect a bit of a hootenanny to surround and welcome you. If you’re not down with everyone having a good time, choose the Forest Service Primitive sites just up the road a piece

Winter Camping

Enjoyable stay. The campground is well maintained with plenty of shade at the sites. The bathrooms are nice and warm in the winter and clean.

Super Campground

This was the nicest, cleanest and newest camping resort I have ever seen. Beautiful views at a lake below the Smokey Mountains. Huge paved sites and stone fireplaces.

Love Love Love this Campground

We have been camping here for Thanksgiving for years. It is a family owned campground.

The bathhouse is the cleanest one I have ever seen and used. The fire pits are clean when you check in. They are right on the Trolley Route, just simply walk to the road and the Trolley will stop and pick you up.

They have Safari Tents, Tent Sites, Tree Houses, Retro Campers, Pull Thru and Back up Sites that will hold the largest of RV's. The RV sites have fire pits, grills, and a grass area that is always mowed.

They have a swimming pool and outdoor activity center. They have special activities going on at different times to keep the little ones entertained.

Awesome people!

Great location (close to the obed). Friendly, happy group. They have a brewery in place with great beer options. Bathrooms are two portapottys but well cleaned.

Quiet/Peaceful

We love camping here! We usually camp in the 3rd site when you enter at the ranger station. It is usually nice and quiet. Last yr we decided to try the out side loop across from the nature trail this site provided alot more excitement as someone fell on the nature trail. Then we had 3 unexpected visitors for dinner (mom an her 2 cubs). The next morning we saw a deer and her fawn across the street. Just love the nature and feeling of camp everyone is friendly. We can leave camp during the day and not worry about it. (Great spot to camp and walk the cove when closed to traffic!)

Great campground

During winter campground is very quiet, no power at sites, it does have hot showers.

Love it

Our favorite place

One of our favorites

The new owners have done an amazing job with the renovations. So good unfortunately that it is becoming very hard to get a spot. The river is amazing and great for tubing, fishing, and swimming. The bathrooms are the best I have ever seen in a campground. They are currently expanding so hopefully I can get back out there soon. Directly across the street from a quiet entrance to the national park. Great staff. Great campground. Highly recommend.

Getting better all the time

I have stayed here a few times because it is close to my house. It has a lot for kids to do. They have invested a lot of money in recent years. If you want to be in the middle of all the tourist stuff and still be camping, this is for you.