The best camping in
Tennessee

Camping Tennessee

Campers venturing across Tennessee have access to hiking, boating, fishing, biking, rock climbing and picnicking across 56 state parks, enough variety to satisfy any adventurer’s soul. With terrifically high Appalachian peaks and plunging caverns, Tennessee travelers can get a sense of the sublime landscape that inspired music legends from Nashville to Memphis by camping in Tennessee.

East Tennessee is home to a part of the oldest mountain range in the world, the Great Smoky Mountains. As the name suggests, the peaks are often shrouded in fog, but that doesn’t make the view from Clingmans Dome any less spectacular. At 6,643 feet, Clingmans Dome towers as the highest point in Tennessee and the third highest point east of the Mississippi River. Make sure to say hi to the hardcore hikers, many people hiking the entire Appalachian Trail will stop at this unforgettable lookout.

A clear day at the dome observatory provides views as far as 100 miles. But explorers camping in Tennessee should plan on hiking their way up to the point, the roadway that leads to the observatory closes during inclement weather and from Dec. 1 to March 31 every year.

If you’re camping with the kids and they’re looking for more occupation than your campsite offers, many of the natural attractions in Tennessee are also family friendly. Lookout Mountain is only minutes from Chattanooga and offers several world-famous sites like Rock City and the See Seven States point.

All the mountain peak trails may leave the heights-averse camper less than enthused. But Tennessee has something for everyone. Also at Lookout Mountain, but plummeting beneath ground level, is where you’ll find Ruby Falls, the largest and deepest underground waterfall in the nation.

Scenic views and dramatic natural landscapes are part and parcel for any Tennessee camping adventure, as long as you know where to look. Camping in Tennessee can be done right with The Dyrt to guide you along your trails!

Recent Reviews in Tennessee
Small and quiet

Good campground but not a lot of amenties.

Really nice campground!

I was a bit confused cause I got here at 5 and the gate was closed, so I hung around trying to find my next move and when I pulled back around the gate was open? So a few more cars came through shortly after me..not sure if they open the gates in the afternoon for campers but it's open as of May 7! Beautiful site, right on the water and fire pits everywhere, bathrooms… For free you really can't beat this!

Not much of anything to improve!

I almost hate to leave such a review because I’m afraid I’ll never get into it again. Obviously we will return.

Pros:

• Usable internet - very important to us because husband works from the road
  • CLEAN, well kept
  • bathrooms so well done with showers individual rooms
  • laundry room nice and reasonably priced
  • game room and playground for kids of all ages
  • nice pond with small creek
  • pet friendly
  • full hookups and reasonable prices
  • nice, quaint store on site
  • FRIENDLY staff

Cons

• sites are closer together than we prefer, but everything else makes up for that
  • closest town 30 minutes down the mountain, however the Mennonite stores would have some things you might need only 15 minutes away.
Bad Place to stay

I find it interesting how Steve is able to remove the negative reviews posted here by saying they got the wrong campground. Steve is all about the money and is not worried about who he lets stay here as long as they pay. The washer has been broken for months and no Wifi. When you get a heavy rain it really smells like sewage. He does have a temper so do get on his bad side. We left early and paid for a full month and he said no refund but still charged the new folks in our site, so get a double payment. Most folks here pay$450 per month but some he charges as much as$600. Also there are tight turns here and do not drive on the grass, it will send Steve over the ledge. we are really glad we are gone

Great place to enjoy nature!

My daughter and I went out for an overnight camping trip. We took our dogs with us. It was beautiful and rustic! We brought everything we needed with us. Norris lake is so beautiful. We drove a car and took our time going down the dirt road. There were no problems going in or out. There were some deep ruts but it was easy to avoid them. We're going back out again next weekend and this time we're bringing the fishing rods.

Great Place Just Off The Beaten Path

Up the Creek RV Camp is a great little RV camp just down the way from bustling Pigeon Forge. The sites are decently sized, with picnic tables, fire rings and cement pads for basic sites, and tables and chairs with larger fire pits at premium sites. There are no tent pads or bath houses, it is truly and RV campground. There is a small dog park, two creeks (wadable) and lots of peace and quiet. We stayed for a week and were impressed by both the staff and the guests friendliness and helpfulness.

New ownership and called Pigeon forge rv resort

This was formally the eagles nest, now called pigeon forge rv resort. New club house, New bath houses, New camp sites, New everything. We stayed here during the spring rod run and had a blast. It was just far enough out wears valley to be away from the crowd. Sites were newly graded and many have been poured in concrete. But ours was gravel and the gravel was fresh so camper settled a little but wasn't an issue. We love the camp ground.

No need for words!

Not much context is need to share how nice this Resort is! We loved it so much that we booked two years. Even a "bad" site is still a good site here!

Very nice site!

My two kids tent camped while my parents had their pop up! It was a nice site. There were enough trees that my brother in law was able to set up his hammock system. The site was well kept. There were hardly any blood sucking bugs and no wildlife for protect our stuff from. I think part of that is this site had flooded and rebuilt recently. The staff was very friendly and the area near the dam was really neat. The site is also very close to Pickwick State Park.

Nice sand beach

Nice sand beach. Ample parking. Grassy tent camping areas and RV paved area pull through. Lots of wildlife. Quiet area. Good fishing, kayaking, canoeing area. Boat dock nearby. Bathroom facilities on property.