Stillhouse Hollow Lake, TENNESSEE
Most Recent Stillhouse Hollow Lake Camping Reviews
Great weekend

Our go to campground. Great stay as always.

A Great View

We have camped here for many years and all the sites are great. Checkin is quick and staff is friendly, helpful. We love that our boat can be moored into a cove very near site. Always beautiful views of Barren River Lake.

Great Falls

This is a small State Park and campground area in the lower part of middle Tennessee, but if you like to see some great waterfalls and a some history on this part of Tennessee you will not be disappointed.

Just make sure you have all your supplies before you get there, it is a remote area with no big cities with 50 miles.

Wonderful Eclipse Weekend

Some friends and I camped at Standing Stone during the 2017 Solar Eclipse. The state parks in Tennessee all hosted special programs for the event, and Standing Stone park rangers invited everyone to row out on the lake to watch this magnificent phenomenon. They provided boats and life jackets for everyone who registered and made sure everyone made it out on the water in time. The park also provided everyone with takeaway bags that included eclipse glasses and commemorative swag.

The campground and facilities included water and electric hookups as well as bathrooms with showers. Dogs are allowed as are camp vehicles.

The park has lots of great hiking trails, a playground, and a pool with concessions.

At the end of our trip, my car battery died and we called the park office. Within minutes, a park ranger arrived to jump me off. I can't say enough good things about this park.

Friendly, comfortable and quiet

We stayed here for the long Presidents Day weekend in a wooded drive through spot with few neighbors. We saw 10 deer one morning and hiked a trail with our 3 boys and 2 dogs. Electric and water hook-ups. Firewood available for cash only. Fire ring with grill and picnic table at our spot.

Lots of history

This this campsite offers everything you need for a great camping experience. Out tent camping was complete with electricity and a short walk to the bathhouse. It also offered a fire pit and picnic table and lots of shade. You can rent a small Jon Boat for $50 a day and they also offer small bundles of firewood for $5. We fished on Kelly Lake and caught about six fish that were keepers.

Great camping experience

Standing Stone is a great place to camp. The park has spacious campsites, a beautiful lake, and lots of great hiking trails. I would definitely go back.

Very quiet and people are nice

Its right by the lake and it's very clean people are nice I would suggest you try camping here

Get ready to explore!

We were only able to stay one night, was a last minute booking. The campsites were clean as were the facilities. We camped with our 3 children, the oldest being 4, they all had a blast exploring the park. Lots to do and see. We will definitely be back!

Cliff Jumping FTW!

Stayed at the primitive sites several times for my birthday. Their is parking nearby, but you either have to hike up or down a hill to get too and from the sites. Totally worth it. The facilities are very nice and the hikes I’ve done are lovely! Huge bonus feature is the awesome and picturesque observation tower at the visitor center, which is conveniently near a trailhead. Favorite part of Edgar Evins is the river access, which allows you to do some cliff jumping and offers a beautiful sunset view!

Crammed Together

We drove through here scouting out camping spots while we were staying at the cabins. I was disappointed in the campground considering all of the other state parks that are close by. The sites are very crammed together and not very level. We have a tiny pop up camper and I think there was only a handful of sites that we would even consider. With that being said, the area is beautiful with lots of hiking near by. If you are just looking for a place to pitch a tent, this place could be alright. We typically don’t stay in cabins, but we did for this particular trip. I do have to say that Rock Island has some of the best I have ever seen! We also recommend Foglight Foodhouse for dinner. It was amazing!

Camp by the water

COE-Campground. I love this campground, but hate the reservation system. Problem seeing sites booked, and the party no shows leaving a great site unavailable. Very frustrating. This reason knocks it down a couple notch’s on rating system.
Otherwise this is one of the best campgrounds in Tennessee. Beautiful lake views with rolling hills. Phone, TV, Satellite maybe unavailable on some sites. Campground does offers full hook- up, however some sites do not have sewer or 50 amp. Great for families! Kayaking and fishing and also beach for swimming. Picnic table and fire ring at all the sites. Book early!

Nice and easy camping

There is easy access and and plenty of space. Very close to where I live so it a great weekender.

Great Stay

Enjoyed my time staying at Tailwater in Kentucky. It was about an 8hr drive from where I live, so we decided to stay here for a long weekend with friends. We ended up renting out 2 campsite spots to fit 8 of us and luckily we were able to get a spot right next to each other. We had 2 huge 6 person tents, so 4 stayed in one and 4 in the either. We fit comfortably! Thankfully the campsite were fairly large to fit our cars and 2 big tents. The attendants working in the front were super nice and helpful. They helped us find our spots, and then gave us recommendations on where to hike in the mornings. Because we came in the summer, it was pretty busy. The Barren River is right next to the campground and makes for a beautiful day to head down to the river and cool off. The campground is fairly large- I believe it has close to 50 spots. Campground was easy to find, and the signage for the campground was great. Cost was $20 a night per site, so for us it was $40 sense we had 2 sites but we split it 8 ways so it was super cheap. We brought tons of food, and snacks, so at night we just hung around each other- some in hammocks or in chairs and just talked. The hiking was really great- super awesome views. The trails were in such great condition!! Would definitely come back.

Upper Cumberland Visit

Just getting in from a fun weekend at Old Mill Camp in Cookeville, TN. Old Mill is a private campground directly across the street from the entrance to Cummins Falls State Park (the park is a day Park only and has no camping on site). Wide open sites with plenty of well established trees to provide shade. New, modern bathhouse. Hiking to the falls is adventurous requiring two creek crossings (that can be up to knee deep or more depending on where you cross) and some bouldering, but once you get to the falls it’s amazing. The area is right on the Upper Cumberland Wine Trail so lots of impressive wineries nearby. There is also 4 breweries (a fifth opens the end of Oct 2018) in the area. Oh, and you have to visit Ralph’s Donut Shop in downtown Cookeville! We’d really like to go back in warmer weather to take advantage of the many swimming holes on the hike to the falls and be able to play in the falls.

Great Campground

The TN website was down so I was unable to book a site ahead of time and calling I found out the store closes at 4. Not a problem, they said pick a site without a res and pay in the morning. Beautiful view of the lake but werid to be a tent camper with the nice decks. I pick a site with a spot of dirt on the side. Plan ahead, I didn't consider that I couldn't buy firewood after arriving and there was little to choose from in the woods also I may go for the very nice primative sites in the future. You have to walk in but no one was there this trip. I didn't even know they were there until I took a walk the next morning.

Super quiet but close sites

Very quiet and small state park with so-so level pads. The sites are very close together. Very. Great for families with multiple campers.

Virgin falls is worth the hike

Campgrounds are very primitive. No restrooms or running water. Everything will have to be packed in. Amazing views! Mutiple waterfalls and caves to explore. Highly recommend checking it out. Hike is around 8 miles round trip. Water filters would be a must in my book.

Multiple use area.

Excellent campground for campers, pop ups, tent and cabins. Water and electricity on each site. Well maintained, camp steward on site. Clean restroom and bathhouse w/hot water. Plenty of pavement for kids to ride bikes as well as playgrounds and volleyball court. Swimming and fishing area minutes away. Pavillion and playground with multiple picnic areas. Several hiking biking trails. Excellent roads for biking also. A definite go back to.

Awesome Platforms that overlook Center Hill Lake

This is one of our favorite places. Great engineering to make the platforms hang off the slde of cliffs. This place is very quiet, VERY clean one of the top places near Nashville.

Great spot

Great place to camp. Clean friendky reasonably quiet. Great shore fishing. Not a lot else to do around.

Mighty fine place to be!

Booked this campground online and was very happy with our night stay! Be sure to reserve a spot right alongside water! Online booking shows a very easy to view map of different tent sites.

Enjoyed watching sunset here. Wish we had arrived earlier so we could swim!

Almost near Mammoth Cave

My family of 6 (me, my wife, and four boys 9yrs and under) camped here for a week. We had a great time. We were a little further from Mammoth cave than we wanted to be, but the campground was fun. It is pretty spread out, so biking with the family was a little challenging. And their bike loop was really pretty, but SUPER bumpy and hilly. Pretty hard for the younger ones. The lake was awesome. We swam at the beach, and in eary september, we had the place to ourselves. Campsites were a but small / crammed (we have a pop-up camper). But overall, we really enjoyed it.

Beautiful place to stay

Avondale campground was a great place to stay, if you love water sports and activities. There is a beautiful lake nearby that is great for all water activities. Old Hickory Lake is gorgeous, and our family had a blast spending the days here. We did some kayaking, boating and fishing. Another amazing thing we did was hiking. We spent our early mornings hiking the trails nearby. We did have to drive 10-20miles to get to the different trailheads, but it was definitely worth it. The views were spectacular (see pictures attached.). It was a little chilly in the mornings, but that may have just been the spring time early morning chills. The campground has a picnic shelter area where you can go if you have a big group. These picnic tables were in a great location, and when we went they seemed to be pretty open. I bet once summer comes, these picnic tables are prime spots. There is also a boat ramp on site, just FYI. If you like easy trails, there is the 1 mile long loop called "Old Hickory Lake Nature Trail." This take you around the lake, and was a great well maintained trail. There is also a mountain biking trail called "Shutes Branch" that looked like a ton of fun! Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here. The best part about this place was that there was so much to do. I feel like there was something for EVERYONE! Hiking, biking, water activities, trail walking and more. Not sure what more you could ask for!

Proximity Is Key!!

When coming to Cummins Falls you want to be able to enjoy the day fully, especially when traveling from far away. If you arrive early and are wanting to fully hike down to the waters it is a must to arrive early and by the time you finish enjoying activities driving is not something that sounds appealing. This camp is perfect for allowing you to do just that. Just off property from the falls this is the closest place you can stay and it pays off big dividends!!

Where there is no sign of wifi, this place has your back. Where there is no store in site, again this place is reasonable and well equipped. But this isn't just a place to stay it is a place where you can also have additional activities including Kayaking and horseback riding.

But perhaps my favorite thing about this site is they ALWAYS allow walk-up camping for primitive tent camping and can accommodate a lot of campers. For me as a tent camper with no hook ups it was $20, had I have wanted electrical those sites are $35. Both sites come pretty standard and similar in way of picnic tables, fire rings and parking which is really nice.

I was there midweek and there were a lot of other campers but it didn't seem loud and I really liked that there was an area which said campers only so people just coming out to the falls weren't roaming around camp.

• Check out other things to do in the area, it is a really neat area with tons of things to do within driving distance. This is a great place to hub.

• Enjoy the Falls but be mindful of the hours, it is not a 24/7 site and does close if you arrive late in the day you will not be able to go all the way down the trail to the water itself.

• Check their website because they are in the process of upgrading their facility even further and will soon be offering cabins as well :)

Lovely for hiking and camping with a unique environment

Cedars of Lebanon is a great State Park in middle TN for camping and for day hikes. It has a great pool, and the natural area where it's located features tons of endemic species to the area!

An Interesting Approach To Steep Surfaces

When you come to a park on a mountain, most of the time you find your campsite is riddled with rocks, uneven or somehow an attempt to make a level surface has been made. Fact is, most of the time the ability to address such an issue is ill thought and you spend a lot of your time setting up to find the spot which best suits.

But not here! Here they have built platforms for making camping easier, even in the worst of hilly conditions.

These little mini decks are spread throughout the park and made available for campers in tents as well as RVs, depending on the area you select your site. It is like a deck built to withstand heavy objects.

Let me just explain the level of confusion I had when I arrived at my site and saw this however…lol. As a tent camper I had all the normal questions you might have when seeing a deck: What is this? How do I secure my tent to it? Do I park on it too? Is this going to make my floor of my tent feel weird?

It wasn't to long after I saw another tent camper, also on one of these pads, that my entire world made sense and soon I was settled in and enjoying a great view, all thanks to my elevated and even pad. It was almost spoiling me!

The typical amenities are present, picnic table, grill, power (some not all sites) and nearby was a nice bathhouse and store. It was a great retreat.

The lake itself was beautiful, just made me wish I had a canoe with me to enjoy it a bit more. But since I couldn't I enjoyed the outdoor spaces lining the shoreline instead and checked out some of the hiking trails here. LOVED the hiking here!!

Inside the Visitor Center you also can find a really cool observation tower that if you are willing to put the foot work in and climb you can see some of the awesome views from high atop the world!!

TIPS:

• Watch for deer!! There seems to be a deer around every bend here and around dusk they have zero fear of the road.
  • Rent a kayak from the store just across the street from the main entrance, they have day and week rates available.
Open The Floodgates To Nice Camping

This is a private facility which offers security at entrance. When I first pulled up I thought it might be a part of the Corp of Engineers dam site just a couple hundred yards away but it was in fact private.

For only $18 a night I was able to check out a great tent site which was not super close to anyone else. It was not a crowded campground at all in fact. I could see a few long termers set up but everything was kept at a great standard as opposed to allowing things to look unkept when staying for extended times.

There is free WIFI available, however in my site it struggled a bit so that was a little sad.

Otherwise the location itself was very nice. They do provide a laundry service for $5 a day and outdoor spaces for families to enjoy including a play area for the kiddos.

My favorite part of this location was its proximity to the water itself, you could hear the sounds of the flood gates in the distance and it sounded like a waterfall which made sleeping a breeze. During the day there was lots of area to explore because of the same water.

TIPS:

• If staying here there are a few things available in the store but not many so make a stop before arriving. There is a shop just up the road and over the dam, it offers many things and also equipment rentals for the water.

• Be careful when driving in, the road is windy and currently (August 2018) they are working on the roadways and having "blasting" zones.

Resort Amenities At A Campground Price

When I happened upon this campground I was pleasantly welcomed by a visitor center and hiking from the moment I entered the park.  But no matter how nice this area was I wasn’t able to even expect what was to come with the camping facility which by far was a surprise to say the least.

I had seen great reviews for this place, like many in Tennessee, but the amenities never seemed to stop when I actually arrived.  From an Olympic sized swimming pool, horse stables, a historic chapel, butterfly garden, playgrounds, picnic areas, hiking trails, nature center and even outdoor recreation fields.  It seemed never ending! There was even a cave, that with special permit you can crawl into and explore!

The spaces were closer together than I might have have normally liked, but everyone was so friendly it didn’t seem to matter.  When I was there, there was an event going on that coming weekend so it was a bit more full than typical week day would have been.

Still despite all the people, it wasn’t loud.  People did not blast music, talk loudly after hours or have generators humming throughout the night.  Instead it was like being in this nice isolated area just with a bunch of neighbors also enjoying the isolation.

I took full advantage of all the outdoor spaces, the only one I didn’t get a chance to enjoy was the pool which was at a point during the season where it was only open on weekends.

I would stay at this site again if passing through.  Reservations are not required but could be helpful on busy weekends like the one I stayed just before.  I do suggest checking into the office also to get a Passport for the State of Tennessee (a small book you can stamp with each stop you make at a state facility).

TIPS:

• Bring your sense of adventure!  Lots of things to do from birdwatching to hiking and everything in between.
  • Sit in the butterfly garden.  The area is so peaceful and beautiful because of the unique selection of plants selected to draw in the butterflies.  It is a perfect place to spend some time in quiet reflection.
A hidden TN gem

This campground is one of my favorites in the entire east & middle TN area! It's a great state park with all the amenities, where you can bring the camper and the whole family to relax. It's always quiet and full of very nice people, and I've never had any animal problems there. There's access to a great area for kayaking and swimming as well!