Old Hickory Lake, TENNESSEE
Camping Tennessee Old Hickory Lake
Most Recent Old Hickory Lake Camping Reviews
Fun, clean, quiet

This campground was very convenient for those visiting the Nashville area, its just off the highway and they offer shuttles for a fee to downtown and opryland. The check in process was quick and simple, the staff were genuinely friendly and helpful. Our campsite was easy to find and very clean. The shower house was one of the best I've seen mostly because it is air conditioned. The showers are all very private and clean with plenty of room. The waterpark is just steps away, I would suggest not eating food within the park it is over priced and not very tasty, go to the marina restaurant or eat at your campsite. They have a dog park to exercise your dogs and you can't beat the views. I would recommend this campground.

Quiet Peaceful Campground by Cheatam Lake & Dam

We loved our site 32 which was fully shaded all day long which was great in August given the heat and humidity. We hiked the Bicentennial Trail (13.3 miles long from start to finish) which was also shaded and with geocaches. We went with our 2 dogs and 2 kids. The boys loved the playground and the dogs appreciated the cool breeze and shade of our site. We were close to the boat ramp which made access to the water easy. There is a nearby lock and dam with another playground in walking distance. We had a fire ring, a wooden picnic table, a concrete picnic table and chairs as well as a grill. Folks were quiet and friendly. I would highly recommend it and would visit again.

Love the quiet

I love the quiet campgrounds and hate close neighbors. This campground doesn't disappoint! All sites are secluded and leave you to your thoughts. It by no means is a fancy campground but well maintained and decent accessibility dont let the map fool you thinking you are near a town. You wont regret it here.

Great location!

Wonderful camping trip with the husband and friends even the pups enjoyed their trip! Had a blast kayaking the river too! Extremely clean and updated bathhouse!

Nice

Not very many shaded spots

One of the best campgrounds in the state

Waterfront on Barren River Lake. Can’t beat it. Clean showers and restrooms

Breathtaking Views

You cant beat the views at this campground. Several of the sites are right along the water. There is hiking which we didn't do, also a couple places to swim. One of my biggest issues with this campground is the signage, there arent any signs leading you to where the campground is, also the camp site numbers themselves are impossible to see in the dark as they are labeled on the electric posts in black, I had to get out of the vehicle and walk the campground to find our site. Also wish there was a small store or at the very least ice available to purchase. All of this can be purchased at the marina store but it is quite the trek to get there. The sites are also extremely close together. Swimming areas were nice, the campground was clean, restrooms were clean, but far from most camp sites, you need to drive to them. They need another restroom/bath house.

Nashville KOA is a great place to stay when visiting the Music City.

The campground has a variety of sites from deluxe paved pull through with patios to back-in full hookups to tent sites. We stayed in the back-in sites side of the campground. The sites were close together(but not on-top of each other) and many were long enough to handle most average sized rigs. These sites were gravel with grass between, which was well maintained. 50& 30 amp service available. Very flat with minimal leveling needed. The wifi was spotty when the campground was full on the weekends.

The bathhouses have individual shower access with separate toilet facilities. These were clean and well maintained. The entire campground was very well maintained and landscaped beautifully, which created a welcoming feeling.

There are numerous amenities: pool, hot tub, playground, pickle ball, corn hole, etc. Live music is offered at the pool area a couple nights a week in addition to movies. The camp store is small, with limited selection, but it is attached to a nice size indoor rec room and restaurant/snack bar. A Camping World Store is also right next door to the campground, which is very convenient.

A shuttle service is offered daily from 10:00AM-1:30AM between the KOA and downtown Nashville at the Country Music Hall of Fame. The cost is$10 round trip per person. The staff were very friendly and willing to help with any issues and questions. We enjoyed our stay and found the price($68) reasonable for the great location and amenities offered.

Quite private

Has nice space between sites, with great views.

Awesome campground

Quiet spot. Lots of wildlife. Great trails. Will definitely go back!

Great Campground

Everything you need, plus a creek runs through it. Trails go through campsite also. Highly recommended.

Beautiful and quiet

Beautiful and quiet campground on Center Hill Lake, but getting down to the lake isn’t real easy. Lots of trees between sites so they are private. Bath houses are super clean. Camped with friends, so it was a little awkward having to go from deck to deck and the fire ring wasn’t situated in an area where you could set out chairs and hang out. We were in sites 16 and 17 and would have liked to have been warned about the steep incline as you pull onto the deck (damaged bumper of rv 😬) All that being said, we were able to book these 2 sites together last minute and had a wonderful time.

Just shy of awesome

The park was beautiful. We enjoyed all the little things - the lake beach, kayaking, the chapel, hiking, and beautiful scenery. Camping was really good…just wish we could have gotten a site with sewer. Our site #89 was near the back and was spacious and quiet, close to a wading creek and hiking trails. The sites nearest the front and the camp store were smaller and less shaded and had busy traffic. If staying near a holiday, plan on booking at least 2-3 months out.

Our biggest disappointment was the mountain biking. The hiking trails were in such good shape, we were disappointed to find the biking trails required a truck drive outside the actual park and were not as well maintained, especially with summer foliage. Trails were not enjoyable for our teenagers who race on school teams. Probably more advanced riders would enjoy the technical aspects - lots of uphill, roots, and rocks. No true family trail or flow anywhere on the trails, even those marked easy/beginner.

Super close and quiet

Great RV sites with full hookups. Creek behind most. Will be back for sure.

Came back for more

Have visited this campground twice and love it! It is one of the cleanest we've been to. the restrooms are spotless and dont smell at all but they do tend to get stuffy when it's hot out because no ac or fan in them. One thing I love is that they have plenty of drive through spaces which makes it so much easier to park. The spaces are close together though. They have a beautiful beach which is why we came back here but unfortunately it was closed due to all the rain and high waters. If they have wifi here I was not aware of it. Cell service is horrible, which can be ok because it made me unplug for a couple days. We will be back love this campground

Do not

If Armstrong Acres ever existed it doesn't now. Please do not go to check it out, it is a terrible part of town.

Beautiful, peaceful sites on the water

Despite the fact that we were tent camping, we booked in a premium site, on the water with power and water. The sites are on platforms over the lake bank. We loved this campground! It is very clean. The bathrooms and showers were immaculate as well, despite the fact that the campground is at capacity. Good WiFi signal. Camp store is on site. Marina is a one mile hike, or accessible by car. Sites on the lake have water, electric, fire ring and second water spigot. One downfall is that there is poison oak EVERYWHERE. The boardwalk to the bath house is lined with it. Choose which walkway you use, because the one from the cove can’t be walked without poison oak brushing your feet and legs. Checkout is noon. We had a great stay.

Nashville!

We rented a cabin for the older kids, and the wife and I stayed in our RV. Both the cabin and campsite were clean and the staff was nice. Pool area is clean. Even though this campsite is just off the highway, it is still pretty quiet. They have a shuttle to take you down town, but you have to call and let them know you want to go. $10.00 per person which is reasonable. Lots to do in Nashville!

More for RV’s then tents

Poole knobs was not a terrible place to camp but it appeared to have better sites for RV’s then tents. The tent sites had minimal space to pitch a tent unless you have a single person tent or you pitched the tent on a slope. We only stayed one night because a bad storm came through And a tree fell on our tent ending our trip early. The campground lost power but without expecting or asking for it(because they can not control the weather) they refunded the $$ we spent to stay there.

Wonderful campground

Mostly flat campground with great water views about everywhere. Private beach access and some playground areas. Nice bathhouses but could use shivering updating. Very close stores and a boat rental and restaurant at the beginning of the park. Super nice staff and all around clean area.

Beautiful park.

Close drive to town, but far enough out not to have the noise. Really clean campground and nice bathhouses. Several areas for activities. And some really nice spots with several being right on the water. The only drawback is there is no swimming. Its a really great place for when it's too cold to swim anyway. Lots of hiking areas to.

Beautiful and secluded

This is one of those spots you can really get away at. It's a long drive in, too the point your not sure your on the right road, lol. The phone service is spotty at best, which i love but the seclusion and views are great. It's really a hidden gem thats all by itself. Great wildlife viewing, great fishing and all around a great campground. The bathhouses are a little spread out but that's because your pretty spread out. One of my favorite places.

A Campground with Lots to Do but with Interesting Tent Pads

Edgar Evins State Park is a large park with lots of activities for young and old. However, if you want to stay in the campground, make sure to take a freestanding tent unless you have creative ways to keep your tent up. Most of the sites have wooden platforms, and the fire pits are beside the road. Perhaps most people like that sense of permanence, but I personally prefer solid ground or even gravel pads. Fortunately, the one I used was a free-standing tent. There is another option, and that is to stay in the primitive camping area. Of course, they are walk-in sites, but they are not far from where you park. I would normally choose the primitive camping area for a couple of reasons. There is a little more privacy, and you have soft ground on which to pitch your tent. Obviously, if you are an RV camper, staying in the primitive area does not apply. Unfortunately, it was better this time to choose a site that you don’t have to walk to. Out of all the state park campgrounds I have visited, the bath rooms in this state park are the best. They are modern with tiled floors, and the showers resemble ones you would find at privately owned campgrounds. There are several different activity options—volleyball, horseshoes, playgrounds, hiking trails, etc. There is also an aviary, a marina, a restaurant, and a couple of boat ramps. For the children, there is the“Storybook Trail.” For other overnight options, there are also cabins that you can rent. In retrospect, the primitive area would have been a better choice. It definitely would have been more quiet. No matter whether you stay in the primitive area or the regular camping area, you will encounter hilly terrain. The camp store is fully stocked with most of your camping needs, and there is also a laundry. Overall, Edgar Evins State Park was a good place to spend time, but again, I have my doubts about the wooden platforms.

Tex

This is really a very nice park. With senior pass it is half price. There are deer everywhere in park(fawns and even Bucks). Like COE’s it is spacious with good space between sites. Lots of shade trees. Access lake is good all around park. Park is kept clean and restrooms, showers cleaned everyday. Need to trim trees better to keep limbs from falling. Sunset scenery around mountains is beautiful in evenings. Negatives are no WiFi , no antenna tv. Satellite can even be hard to get in some spots. This is negative only because of bad weather alerts.

Home away home

Amazing little campground, it was clean, very friendly host, the beach was amazing and clean, the food at lodge very excellent.

Pleasant Stop

Clean, well kept KOA. Friendly staff & convenient location. We fished in the pond & enjoyed breakfast with some feathered friends. Surprisingly quiet even though it’s close to the highway. Will stay here again if we’re in the area.

Great Marina

We camp at the campground so much that we rent a boat slip here and leave our boat. They have the best prices! The staff are truly great. I wouldn’t trust our boat any where else

Best Campground ever!!

Best Campground ever !! We love to camp here it’s so relaxing and restful. The campsites are spaced apart and are nice size. We always get sites on the water. The kids ride bikes and fish.

Hands down best and cleanest campground in southwestern ky

Clean sites and shower houses right on the lake so almost a full 360 view love this places

Call before you get there

Ranger Review of Mountain House at Beech Hollow Hideout.

Ranger Review: I recently visited Beech Hollow Hideout in/near Dowelltown, Tn. https://www.hipcamp.com/tennessee/beach-hollow/beech-hollow-hideout I discovered this listing on The Dyrt Pioneer listing page and used Hipcamp to make my reservation. This place is truly a gem in the Tennessee hollows! William and Sharon have lived in their little corner of the woods for over 19 years and have created an awesome little oasis of tranquility. LOL, sounds sappy, but I mean it!! Their cabin, which they built over three years is a work of art and they don’t mind giving you a peak. Williams workshop (which he also built)is up the hill and they host volunteers from WWOOF , I never heard of it either but I’m not an organic farmer. The Hideout is another climb further up the same hill. Mind you it’s not far, it’s also not too shy of needing a ladder system to get up to. Walkable but you may need a quick break on your way up and your calves will be speaking to you. Thankfully William has a four wheeler to carry the big stuff up. Once up there the first reaction I had was “this is just cool!” The Hideout is complete with porch , fire ring and open air outhouse that has a lived in wrens nest for “decoration”. Then you start exploring and realize the attention to detail William has put into this little hut. Cedar pleasantly permeates the air, a collapsible table inside the door. Mosquito netting on the door if you want to prop it open. A book shelf with a selection of books. Chairs and a flip water jug and cup. A ladder for the loft sleeping area. A little stove inside if your making a winter visit. Split wood already waiting near the fire pit. And a dozen other things I’m probably forgetting. If your going to sneak away to the woods to hide and unwind for a few days this is the place! There are logging trails to hike and a few state park areas nearby if you want additional recreation. You could easily park your vehicle and just relax right there your whole visit. One more note , stop in the last town you pass through and make your final tweets , calls and texts and make sure you have your directions available in your notes cause your GPS and phone service will fail you long before you arrive on site !

Ranger Review: As a Dyrt Ranger On occasion I have the opportunity to try out products. On this trip I carried along Mountain House https://www.mountainhouse.com/ for lightweight easy packing of a variety of meal options. Chicken and Rice is one of my favorites. I had my other favorite Granola, for breakfast. It is as simple as boiling water for your coffee and Mountain House Pouch, pouring it in the pouch , stirring and setting it aside for a minute or two. Enjoy! I always end up with leftovers when I camp alone due to the large portion sizes. I have a closet full of Mountain House for camping and Emergency Preparation as well as the Zombie Apocalypse:)