Rock Fork , KENTUCKY

Most Recent Rock Fork Camping Reviews
Amazing area

We stayed at one of the walk in sites and loved it. We felt like we had the forest to ourselves. Beautiful area with amazing hiking. The

Great for all skill levels!

This was my first time at this spot and I will definitely be coming back! I was wary because of the price but it exceeded my expectations. Very easy to find and the staff were very helpful. I slept in a truck tent and when it started to snow they offered to move me to a warmer spot just in case. Spots were very roomy (I stayed in Piney Oaks #9).

The trail around the lake was very nice, short but hilly so a good morning walk. It rained the first evening which led to some pretty little waterfalls the next day. A quiet campground with plenty of amenities. The bathrooms were heated which was a nice touch since it snowed the other two days I was there. Everyone I saw were very friendly (as were their pets).

I went during late March and will definitely go again when it’s warmer to enjoy swimming in the lake!

Amazing home base camping!

The campsites are great and spaced out nice! Most sites have small pea gravel and are very clean. Bath house is open but no showers are at of March. Three great trails that you can do right from the campgrounds. Miles more within a few minutes drive

Beautiful Setting

I camp here annually with my cousin. It’s a great campground if you don’t mind being in a more crowded setting. Aka less remote! Opt for the campgrounds towards the back for a little more privacy and immediate access to the nearby creek. Granted walking to the restroom is a little further. Fills up relatively quickly so would recommend booking in advance during peak seasons. Also be sure to bring your own wood or purchase from local homeowners. No picking up allowed.

Pipes froze over, no running water

Camped for a few days in late March for a climbing trip (no fires at Miguels). It snowed the pipes froze over so none of the facilities were working. I'm sure it's super nice in the summer.

nice and primitive

This was a nice, quiet and primitive campground. The sites were nice and spread out. The bathrooms were clean. I would definitely return to hike some of the trails.

Hanson’s Point

Hanson’s point at the red river gorge is often called the best view of the Gorge. To get to Hanson’s point you’ll have to earn it by hiking for about 2.5 miles, but trust me when I say it’s worth it. The campsites at Hanson’s Point are primitive campsites, so make sure you bring EVERYTHING you need for your stay. Here are the coordinates to the parking lot. Type in the coordinates into your GPS and it will take you right to it!

37.80528, -83.65528

To easily stay on the trial, I recommend downloading the AllTrails apps. Enjoy!

Koomer Ridge Camp

A great first experience camping with our pup. He’s a little too cautious with strangers and dogs so having the other campsite at a distance is a huge preference for us. The campsites were nice and well maintained. There was sufficient bathrooms and every time we went in them they were clean. The camp is close to the trail so if you plan to hike all the way up to the arch this is a pretty decent place to start.

Not a good experience

In our trip from Arkansas to the east coast we reserved two nights here based on reviews. I’m sure COVID-19 had a lot to do with the park being in shut down mode but we found the park to be so bad we left after one night. Sites we were assigned were very difficult to get in, extremely unlevel and the sites were unkept and showed a lack of maintenance. We were there on 9/22/20 and the flying knat’s and bugs wouldn’t let you out of the door. My water hookup required a set of pliers to operate and the 30amp plug was installed upside down making it impossible to plug in due to the box being jacked up. Had to use the 50 amp plug/converter. We won’t be back. Hope things change for the better.

Tarr Ridge

The Tarr Ridge parking area is located on highway 77 on Tarr ridge rd in the red river gorge. Here are the coordinates for the parking lot. 37.85293, -83.64191 Just type it in your gps system and it will take you straight there! From the parking lot I suggest using the ALL TRAILS app to stay on the right trail. Here are the coordinates for the lookout at Tarr Ridge 37.83655, -83.63935.

The hike in is around 2 miles and pretty flat for the most part. It’s totally worth it once you see the view!

Don’t forget to stop at the Shell gas station in Slade Ky to get your parking permit. Enjoy!