Daniel Boone National Forest, KENTUCKY

Camping Kentucky Daniel Boone National Forest
Most Recent Daniel Boone National Forest Camping Reviews
Hideaway says it all

First impression was not your typical campground. This is a climbers haven, so expect to see a lot of “down to earth”, modern “hippie” types in their converted/or not vans.

There are limited 30 amp sites and several sites with electric. Lazy Oaks and Piney are in the trees, Cardinal which is good for larger RVs is in the field , no shade. Then there are two wide open fields where you can set up wherever you please and a new area under construction as of Fall 2019. They are also constructing a new showerhouse. I spoke with the office ladies and they are pretty flexible with accommodating campers. The trails on site are being cleared. And there is breakfast for guests on certain mornings and a “shack” and pavilion for all to use. I stayed in the red roof cabin which was small but pretty awesome. Full kitchen, bathroom, gas fireplace heater and loft w/three beds. Then there’s the porch overlooking the little lake. There are several cabins of varying size to rent, one with a HOT TUB! Definitely worth a visit. Natural Bridge State Park is nearby as well as several adventure based businesses.

Nice, basic campground

We stopped here passing through for 1 night.  My impression was that the camping area was a basic field with not much privacy between sites.  It's good we had a 50' hose because the water hook-up was with other faucets between a few sites.  Not with the electrical hook-up as we were used to seeing.

Awesome campground on the lake!

This time of year (October) this campground is walk up only. We got there as quick as we could and are glad we did as we were able to grab an awesome site. There are tent sites and RV sites here and the campground is gorgeous. It’s right on a lake(so expect boat traffic) and there are several loops all along the lake. Those loops are connected by a trail that I enjoyed walking on. Internet service is spotty there– our Verizon hotspot worked ok, but the Sprint was super slow. There are mountain biking trails that you can access right from the campground so that was nice. You can also go on a short hike up one of the knobs. However, there really isn’t a good view at the top. I loved this campground and would go back in a heartbeat! In fact, I didn’t want to leave!

Jesse Stuart Greenbo Lake Lodge

We recently stayed at Jesse Stuart Greenbo Lake Lodge from Oct 17 thru Oct 20 2019. Our was a wonderful room looking over towards the lake. The room was clean.The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a couple of minor electrical issues which we told the staff about. The only negative thing that I can say about the room is that the TV was very small for the room size. An their is no way to store any food or drinks in the room because their is no type of mini refrigerator available in the room. Which would have been nice. But we would stay at the lodge again in the future. We would give the room a score of 3.5 stars⭐️

Red River Gorge

I thought it was a little too crowded for my liking. I prefer sites a little more secluded though. Still enjoyed my stay.

Cute but noisy!

This campground has decent facilities and some shaded areas. The reason for my low rating is that it’s 11:00 pm and someone is singing karaoke. I mean loud, amplified country music sung badly. The current track is The Gambler, and I can hear it clearly over the music on my cell phone speaker. Very noisy campground on busy weekends, it seems. Bring earplugs. Unless you like to get drunk and sing Willie Nelson. Then you’ll fit right in.

Fallsburg campground

Good place to get away for the weekend.

Fun, good food, lots of people

Miguel’s is a cute and family friendly place where lots of campers gather. Is like camping in a backyard

Camp at twin knobs and hike at tater knob fire tower and lockegee lookout .

The site is good but remember to bring sleeping pad due to you only for site for tent

Always had a nice time there

Primitive camping and rv space. You can rent a cabin and such. There is a resort.  Everything always looks really nice. So many recreational activities, caves, hiking, horses and a lot more. I would really recommend visiting.

Walk through history

Fort Boonesborough SP is near I64 and I75 Between Lexington and Richmond , Ky. The Kentucky River is adjacent. I remember watching Daniel Boone in black and white when I was a kid. The Fort is very cool.

I imagine the staff here stays very busy considering the amount of people that pass through. Then there are those visitors that try to get the most for their money and stuff as many people as possible into one site. And my favorite, the ones that think it’s someone else’s responsibility to clean up their trash. So here’s a shout out to the people that do their best to keep it working and try to keep a professional smile on their face while putting up with the less then polite visitors.

Alrighty then…..nice enough busy campground with some sites definitely more preferable then others. Knowing the campground and reserving ahead always makes your stay better. We visited in the off season so did not have to worry about the crowds. Showerhouse was adequate and the sites reasonably level. Sort of a “every available spot” used kinda campground and I would not want to stay here when it is at full capacity. I’m here for the hiking mostly and enjoyed the trails and bridges. The Fort was VERY cool. If my kids were still at home this would definitely be a field trip location! In the area is the Beer Cheese Trail check it out!

Good for kids. Just be aware of the bad set up here.

Started out bad. Had showed up at site with no electricity available. Was told had to share box but only one 30 and one 50 amp. So if you both have a 30 amp the other has to get an adapter for the 50. 20 years of camping and never had to do that before. On the website it says 30 amp available .

The park was not willing to help me they said first come first serve for the 30 or 50 whoever is first and would not let me Borrow an adapter only willing to sell me one for $30.

Thank goodness for good campers that let us use one. Always Met good people at every campground we’ve been to but some of the staff at Greenbo is horrible.

Not willing to help you here and a bad setup.

Relaxing and peaceful

We just spent a relaxing long weekend at this campground. Sites are level with electric and water at each one. They provided a fire ring and a picnic table for us. The bathrooms are kept very clean and offers quality toilet paper and paper towels. My grandkids loved playing in the river catching crawdads and tadpoles. Perfect for wading. We brought our kayaks and were shuttled up river by the staff. The staff are the friendliest and helpful people that you could ever meet. The hammock area set up by the river makes me want to go back and stay. I love this place and will definitely go back.

Daniel Boone National Forest

Loved this campground! Was near the red river gorge, which is such a beautiful area. Also, if you camp here, go check out nada tunnel! This is a must do in my opinion. This campground had very secluded sites, bathrooms and showers!

Fantastic Hiking to Natural Bridges; Dispersed Camping

Basic dispersed camping on Tunnel Ridge Rd managed by National Forest Service. No fee, but you do need a permit which you can buy at nearby town. Camping is in the forest, so lots of shade. There is no water. Trash disposal and vault toilets at the parking lots at trailheads. Many trails to view natural arches and bluff top / river views. This area attracts climbers and a few arrived around midnight, but weren't too noisy.

Great peaceful campground

Stayed a couple nights. Nice level site on river. Owners are wonderful. They have 7 private bathrooms with shower. Also a laundry room with one washer and dryer. We actually walked down boat ramp (which they have) and went swimming in the Ohio River! It’s nice to sit outside and watch the river and barges traveling up and down.

Love this campground!

We have stayed at this campground numerous times and always enjoy ourselves! The staff is very nice and campground is clean! They have two play areas for kids and gorgeous lake to visit!

Broke campers dream

This drive in campground is awesome for those who like to camp for free. Right off the highway! Located on Cave Run Lake. No fire pits, no restrooms, no water or electricity hookups. Most spots have boat in access! Will definitely be going back! Located in Morehead, KY.

Twin Knobs

This drive in camp site is a pay only and it’s best to call a couple weeks before your trip to reserve you spot! You can tent camp, pop up, or set up your pull behind. Twin Knobs is very clean and spacious campsites and most are on the water! This campground has basketball courts, a beach area, restrooms and more. Pet friendly but must stay on a leash.

Picturesque Bourbon Country

What an amazing stop & RV Park!!!!

We were in the area for a wedding and looking for something to do and Three Trees more than fit the bill.  We called a day or two ahead to reserve kayaks. We had a 4hr rental beginning at 11am, but were told there maybe some flexibility if we wanted to start early depending on other reservations.

We got into town earlier than expected and went over at 9:30 expecting to hang out in the picnic area or hike around to kill time, but the owners met us out front and got us straight on the water.  They were so nice and accommodating, it blew us away.  The RV park (full hookups) was very neatly kept and there are clean sizable shower/bathrooms at the office.

A fantastic experience. We'd do it again if we return to the area.

Getting away

We camp here every year.

Cozy, Friendly, and Perfectly Situated

Whittleton Campground is the perfect spot for the Red River Gorge Area. It's not overly large, which means no overcrowding. It's located by a stream producing water, and pleasant sounds to sleep by. It has a couple of trailheads near the campground so if you don't feel like driving out, you can still get some exercise. Amenities were clean and comfortable.

Beautiful, quiet, very nice staff

Whittleton Sites are level, not huge, well kept. Good mix of shade and sun. Small creek runs behind camper and tent sites. we plan on returning in a month for the fall leaves.

Super clean and well kept.

This site was awesome. Super clean, located right in the center of most of the good trailheads for the red river gorge area. A little on the cramped side if all of the sites are full you will be a little close to other campers, luckily it was not full when I went so that was not an issue. Drinking water and running water near the sites and plenty of restrooms close by. No showers near our site but we didn't stay long enough for that to be an issue.

Beautiful place

It is a beautiful campground.. just make sure you clean up after your selves so the next person doesn't have to clean your mess! If you leave food and garbage out you will attract Bears..  Always remember we are in their home so yes they will come for food! Just keep your area tidy and clean and take your trash with you when you leave..

The Sweet Spot

Turkey Foot Campground in McKee KY off of highway 587 is perfect for campers who like to rough it, but also likes to have a labratory near by. This is a free campsite with no electricity available. My kind of camping!

There is a river with in walking distance of all campsites for swimming, fishing and river walking!

Great glamping spot

This is very good for a family that wants to camp. We stayed in the primitive campsite and it was clean and quiet. The grocery store and showers where very close by. They offer the opportunity to rent a golf cart for $25 a week. Fishing is also great!

Good Campground

Good Campground. Bath house were clean.

Not my favorite

I think I'm spoiled to the koa campgrounds. Very dark ar night. Staff not friendly. Said they couldn't print a copy of what I paid. Very disappointing.