Bowling Green, KENTUCKY
Camping Kentucky Bowling Green
Most Recent Bowling Green Camping Reviews
Beautiful view! Nice site.

Site D-11 couldn’t get much better view. The walk down to the lake is short, kind of steep and rocky but easily manageable. The site is decent sized and not far from the bath house through the woods.

Accommodating

We arrived after hours and were told we could stay in a site, and in the morning they would find us an open campsite. Although it rained we still had a great experience at the campsite, hiking and caving.

“Customer service is not lost!”

I' m happy to say this is a family business who still understands the value of the customer experience. This is a great location(right off I-65) to explore all the Nashville area has to offer with convenience to downtown Nashville, the historic Franklin, TN community, and many other attractions…and if self exploring is not your thing the campground offers tour opportunities galore. The campground offers all the amenities you would expect in a commercial campground: very clean bathhouses, propane, convenience store, level spaces, full hook ups, wi-fi, escort to the site plus several things that weren't unexpected: restaurant dining, live free(good) entertainment nightly and some of the most pleasant staff we have encountered. The spaces are close together; however this seemed to be part of the character of the park…the pleasantries seemed to spread from the staff through the other RV'ers.

Ranger Review Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket at Axtel Campground

Campground Review: I have stayed at and reviewed this campground before, however this time I am reviewing our experience at site I158 over Labor Day Weekend while using the Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket. Site I158 has no electric or water. It is a fairly small tent site that is very close to other sites. There is only enough room for 1 tent and 1 vehicle. The fire ring is nice and has a grill attached. There is a large picnic table and a prep table with a tall hook, which we hung our trash on. The site is gravel but I was able to put in my tent stakes with minimal effort. The site is completely wooded, so if you don't like tent camping near trees, this site is not for you. The upside is there are plenty of sticks for kindling. I did however get hit with a few falling acorns, and that did not feel good at all. The quiet time at this campground is respected and followed. The beach is great for hanging out and swimming in the lake. The beach had previously been damaged by flooding but was beautiful for Labor Day Weekend.

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt www.thedyrt.com, I get products to test from time to time and today I am reviewing the Men& Women's Thunderlight Jacket from Red Ledge https://www.redledge.com/products/mens-and-womens-thunderlight-jacket?variant=7068462153788. I made a video folding the jacket into the carrying bag after I returned home from camping.

1. What I liked about this product: The jacket fits great. Using the size guidelines on Red Ledge's website, I ordered the appropriate sized jacket and it fits perfectly. I like the sealed edges that kept any water from getting to my clothes underneath. This jacket is lightweight. It is a great jacket to use anywhere, but this would be great for back country camping. Because it's lightweight and breathable, I also used it for sun protection while sitting on Rough River Lake beach. The hood hangs over a little bit keeping the sun and rain out of your eyes. The cuffs and the bottom of the jacket are adjustable, which I love. Red Ledge offers this jacket in 13 different colors, but I chose Mercury(gray). The price of the jacket is a little higher than I expected, however, I believe this jacket will hold up over time and be completely worth it. As a tent camper, I have learned to spend a little more money on better quality products than to buy cheap stuff and have to keep replacing them.

2. What I didn't like about this product: I didn't quite understand how the hood adjust worked and it took me a little bit of figuring it out. However, once I understood what I was doing, it worked great.

Overall, I would recommend this jacket. My son has the youth version of The Thunderlight and he loves it. I think Red Ledge has made a good quality product that anyone can use and appreciate.

Good place by Mammoth Cave

We stayed here for spring break to visit some caves. We had a good time. We rented a golf cart for a day just for fun. The store was big and new.

Wonderful park

This park was great and the camping in the park was also very nice. The park had free self guided tour the day we went, which was awesome! They have other guided tours as well, that take you to different parts of the cave. The ice cream at the gift shop was delicious after a hike also!!

Such a great NP campground

I loved this campground. It was in the perfect location for exploring the national park. The spots were very spacious and nice! The bathrooms were well maintained and clean. I would return to this campground. There was a camp store and showers right outside the campground, in walking distance.

Awesome campground

Awesome campground. Great views of the lake from sites, very clean bathrooms. Sites each have a fire ring, nice picnic table, and extra “cooking” table that was an added plus. Lake is perfect for swimming, boating, or kayaking

Nice campground for medium to small campers

Very accommodating hosts. This must be a very old campground because the sites are short (most of them) and the roads are narrow with some sharp curves, not made for the longer campers made these days. The best sites by the lake are almost all basic no electric sites, which kinda sucks! But they are cheap enough to get as a second site to park your boat or fish.

Beautiful Park

This was our first time staying here, but it won’t be our last. We loved the quaintness of the park, the sites are very roomy and flat. We loved being close to the water as well. The trail system in the park was great and we put in over 14 miles of hiking there. The staff was very friendly and helpful!! I would definitely recommend this park to friends and family. We can’t wait to come back

Hidden Gem

We went in March and it was chilly! But a great spot for backcountry hiking and camping. We did not see anybody on the trails or on our site! If you want privacy, this is it. We camped at First Creek 1 backcountry site. The caves tours are an amazing experience that I recommend you plan in your itinerary. an 11 mile hike near our camp site has a beautiful little creek and waterfall at the end of the trail.

Shady and peaceful

Fantastic campground with lots of trees. Clean and well maintained this was the best campground I've been to in a long time I went twice in a month. Buy cave tour tickets online before you go as the tours do sell out. If you have kids do the junior ranger program.

Awesome!

This campground is amazing! Great sites, and lots of things to do for the kids. Lake access too.

Nice campground, small sites

Cute little campground with lots of tree cover, not too noisy despite the close proximity of neighbors. Great access to the caves.

Beautiful and fun park!

We had a great time at Mammoth Caves! The tour of the cave was one of the coolest activities we’ve done camping. Very unique and memorable! The caves are VERY cold so I was miserable without a sweater. But very much worth doing!

Very dirty

Not much shade there. Bathrooms were gross, I also told the front desk. Front desk very friendly. Roosters crow before it was daylight. Probably will not go back.

Very dirty

Bath house wasn't clean

Sites were Okay. Bath house wasn't really big enough and not kept very clean.

Big campground, lots to do for summer

Good campground. They have a huge lake with blow up activities on it, several pools, splash pad, jumping pads, playgrounds, activities, etc. oh, and Yogi and friends, which are the kids most favorite part. Campground it’s self is typical for no state parks. All gravel, hilly, not level, little shade if any. I prefer state parks for camping, but if you want some fun stuff to do with the kiddos, a trip to a jellystone once a year is great. This one has more to do than others. Not as many planned activities as others we have gone to, but pretty good.

Very nice!

Great experience all around. Clean, quiet. My sister and I had a wonderful stay and plan to return. She accidentally locked her keys in her car and the kind park rangers helped her get the door unlocked. Can’t wait to go back!

Wanderlust

I would plan for more time our next visit.   There are so many different cave tours.   We stayed in the cabins.  Nice area and the cabin was very clean with comfortable beds.   The ranger program for the kids is nice and they receive a badge when completed task in the book.  The park area was nice.   We saw deer 🦌 all evening.   No complaints.

All about the kids

The park was all about the kids.   Events scheduled through out the day.  Plenty of activities including play grounds, jump pillows, pools, bikes, crafts, a lake, and splash pad.   The restrooms are clean and I never had to wait.   Laundry on site.   My son LOVED it.   All the campers kids played and had the best time.

Great!! Clean and fun!

Love this camp ground. Stayed in a cabin with Girl Scouts. Staff was friendly and helpful. Activities can be some what of a distance from each other, they do have golf carts to rent.  Pool was nice, gift shop and snack bar were great. Food was good. Shower house was clean. Over all great trip here. Loved swimming in the lake area!

Family time

I can’t wait to go back?

Nice

Not very many shaded spots

Great place for kids

Nice campground for families with small children

One of the best campgrounds in the state

Waterfront on Barren River Lake. Can’t beat it. Clean showers and restrooms

Great getaway

Good friendly campground as in most state parks. Workers are really nice. Loved how close to the water the campground is. Great beach area for the kids! Will recommend anyone to go. Will be staying again.

Enjoy a beach in the middle of KY!

I suggest you make a reservation as this campground fills up quickly. Axtel is located on the shore of Rough River Lake and has over 150 camp sites. Almost every site has quick access and/or views of the lake. There is a designated swimming and beach area. There are several restrooms located throughout the campsite. They were clean and stocked with toilet paper and hand soap. There is an easily accessed dumpster area and dump station near the main entrance. WiFi is available however, there is a fee. There is a boat ramp, so you can bring your boat and/or other watercraft. Fishing is allowed as well. There are a lot of sites with electric and water, but some without either. There are sites for tent camping and RV's. Sites have fire pits and a post with a hook for hanging trash and/or lanterns. No alcohol is allowed. Dogs on a leash are allowed. While we were here, several of the sites along the lake were flooded (see pics). The beach had recently been closed due to flooding, but was open while we were there. If you dig down just a couple of inches on the beach, you'll find clay. My kids loved this and made a couple of clay pots (see pics). As with most campsites we visit, people here were friendly and courteous. There is not a market on site, however there was a Dollar General about 13 miles away. They had a lot of the groceries we needed. There were also several gas stations along the way there that had ice and firewood. This is a great place for families to enjoy a beach without leaving KY!

Accommodating

Thanks so much to the owners for going above and beyond to accommodate our last minute stay!