Grayson Lake, KENTUCKY

Most Recent Grayson Lake Camping Reviews
Awesome campground on the lake!

This time of year (October) this campground is walk up only. We got there as quick as we could and are glad we did as we were able to grab an awesome site. There are tent sites and RV sites here and the campground is gorgeous. It’s right on a lake(so expect boat traffic) and there are several loops all along the lake. Those loops are connected by a trail that I enjoyed walking on. Internet service is spotty there– our Verizon hotspot worked ok, but the Sprint was super slow. There are mountain biking trails that you can access right from the campground so that was nice. You can also go on a short hike up one of the knobs. However, there really isn’t a good view at the top. I loved this campground and would go back in a heartbeat! In fact, I didn’t want to leave!

OVERPRICED

Maybe I am not used to KOA prices but $52 a night for a FHU seems high! The owners were nice and accommodating! The site while somewhat level was gravel and wet from day’s storm (poor drainage) ! I booked from afar and was not able to find other campgrounds near Charleston, WV.

Jesse Stuart Greenbo Lake Lodge

We recently stayed at Jesse Stuart Greenbo Lake Lodge from Oct 17 thru Oct 20 2019. Our was a wonderful room looking over towards the lake. The room was clean.The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a couple of minor electrical issues which we told the staff about. The only negative thing that I can say about the room is that the TV was very small for the room size. An their is no way to store any food or drinks in the room because their is no type of mini refrigerator available in the room. Which would have been nice. But we would stay at the lodge again in the future. We would give the room a score of 3.5 stars⭐️

Red River Gorge

I thought it was a little too crowded for my liking. I prefer sites a little more secluded though. Still enjoyed my stay.

Fallsburg campground

Good place to get away for the weekend.

Fun, good food, lots of people

Miguel’s is a cute and family friendly place where lots of campers gather. Is like camping in a backyard

Camp at twin knobs and hike at tater knob fire tower and lockegee lookout .

The site is good but remember to bring sleeping pad due to you only for site for tent

Always had a nice time there

Primitive camping and rv space. You can rent a cabin and such. There is a resort.  Everything always looks really nice. So many recreational activities, caves, hiking, horses and a lot more. I would really recommend visiting.

Good for kids. Just be aware of the bad set up here.

Started out bad. Had showed up at site with no electricity available. Was told had to share box but only one 30 and one 50 amp. So if you both have a 30 amp the other has to get an adapter for the 50. 20 years of camping and never had to do that before. On the website it says 30 amp available .

The park was not willing to help me they said first come first serve for the 30 or 50 whoever is first and would not let me Borrow an adapter only willing to sell me one for $30.

Thank goodness for good campers that let us use one. Always Met good people at every campground we’ve been to but some of the staff at Greenbo is horrible.

Not willing to help you here and a bad setup.

Relaxing and peaceful

We just spent a relaxing long weekend at this campground. Sites are level with electric and water at each one. They provided a fire ring and a picnic table for us. The bathrooms are kept very clean and offers quality toilet paper and paper towels. My grandkids loved playing in the river catching crawdads and tadpoles. Perfect for wading. We brought our kayaks and were shuttled up river by the staff. The staff are the friendliest and helpful people that you could ever meet. The hammock area set up by the river makes me want to go back and stay. I love this place and will definitely go back.

Rainy day in Ohio!

Sadly, it was raining the entire time we were at this site. However, the campground was very nice! It was quaint and quiet. Nice view and close to the lake as well! There is a beach about a 10 minute drive away from the camp. Very nice showers and bathrooms!

Daniel Boone National Forest

Loved this campground! Was near the red river gorge, which is such a beautiful area. Also, if you camp here, go check out nada tunnel! This is a must do in my opinion. This campground had very secluded sites, bathrooms and showers!

Fantastic Hiking to Natural Bridges; Dispersed Camping

Basic dispersed camping on Tunnel Ridge Rd managed by National Forest Service. No fee, but you do need a permit which you can buy at nearby town. Camping is in the forest, so lots of shade. There is no water. Trash disposal and vault toilets at the parking lots at trailheads. Many trails to view natural arches and bluff top / river views. This area attracts climbers and a few arrived around midnight, but weren't too noisy.

Great peaceful campground

Stayed a couple nights. Nice level site on river. Owners are wonderful. They have 7 private bathrooms with shower. Also a laundry room with one washer and dryer. We actually walked down boat ramp (which they have) and went swimming in the Ohio River! It’s nice to sit outside and watch the river and barges traveling up and down.

Love this campground!

We have stayed at this campground numerous times and always enjoy ourselves! The staff is very nice and campground is clean! They have two play areas for kids and gorgeous lake to visit!

Beech Fork State Park

We spent a week camping at Beech Fork. There were things we liked and didn't like. If you are looking for laid back, kayaking, fire building, kids playing, fishing, camping trip, then this is the place to be. It is very safe for kids. The park ranger makes his rounds quite frequently. The only thing we did not like is, there is no swimming in the lake. There is a pool very close but you still have to pay if you are camping there - at least discount the price to campers. There is beach access but it takes 30-45 minutes to drive to it.

Broke campers dream

This drive in campground is awesome for those who like to camp for free. Right off the highway! Located on Cave Run Lake. No fire pits, no restrooms, no water or electricity hookups. Most spots have boat in access! Will definitely be going back! Located in Morehead, KY.

Twin Knobs

This drive in camp site is a pay only and it’s best to call a couple weeks before your trip to reserve you spot! You can tent camp, pop up, or set up your pull behind. Twin Knobs is very clean and spacious campsites and most are on the water! This campground has basketball courts, a beach area, restrooms and more. Pet friendly but must stay on a leash.

Getting away

We camp here every year.

Coal Country Culture at a Historic State Park

Cabwaylingo is off the beaten path, but definitely worth a visit! It's one of the oldest WV state parks, built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's. Described as a"hidden gem" on the state website, I was the only camper in the entire 8,200-acre property on a warm Sunday afternoon. Sad this beautiful state forest is so underutilized.

Cabwaylingo sits on a portion of four different counties, namely: Cabell, Wayne, Lincoln and Mingo, which helps explain the origin of the exotic-sounding name. The forest has two campgrounds, lots of picnic shelters, 100-capacity bunkhouses with a huge kitchen, plus some gorgeous historic cabins which now have A/C. The outdoor pool is closed due to a lack of funding, but there's swimming hole in the nearby creek which is also used for baptisms by local churches.

The stonework in this park is amazing, especially the superintendent's residence which was built by Italian stone masons. It's located across the street from the park headquarters, so be sure and check it out.

I pulled into the Spruce Creek Campground which appeared nicely maintained, but there was no campground host, no other campers, and the bathhouses were locked, so I wasn't sure if it was open for use. I found out from the superintendent the next morning that it's difficult to keep a campground host because it's an unpaid position. He said I could have pulled in and picked one of 11 spots, then the night watchman would have shown up to check me in and unlock the bathrooms. Good to know, if you're just passing through with no reservation like I was. Here's another tip from the superintendent: If you pull up next to the satellite dish by the bathhouse, there's Internet service with no pass code.

I ended up driving to the Tick Ridge primitive campground which lived up to its name. Again, no host and no campers, so this isolated campground tends to attract partying locals and ATV riders who use the nearby county road. The bathhouse here is permanently closed due to a dried up well, so the only facilities are the ancient pit toilets. I was surprised that I had phone service high on the hill, thanks to an AT&T tower on a nearby ridge. I wouldn't camp here again, but I might make the 2-mile drive to checkout the old Tick Ridge Fire Tower built by the CCC in 1935. I'm bummed I didn't know about it and missed it during my stay.

The drive to Cabwaylingo State Forest is half the adventure. You'll be motoring through the heart of southern West Virginia's coal country where you'll cross several single-lane bridges and pass through at least one historic tunnel chiseled out of the surrounding rock.

You'll see the economic impact of the decline of the coal industry with many businesses shuttered, so best to stock up on groceries and gas before you get too far off the beaten path where there's often no phone or Internet service.

I stopped for gas at the Dingess Service Center where locals can pull-up and pump fuel, but you'll have to go inside and leave your credit card before the manager will turn the vintage pump on. I bought a cold caffeinated beverage and visited with some local residents about their favorite pastimes, the coal industry, and the poor job market that's causing their young people to flee. Everyone was super-friendly after I explained I was reviewing Cabwaylingo in an attempt to encourage more tourism.

The Dingess Service Center is located near the infamous Dingess Tunnel which is a former train tunnel, nearly a mile-long, stained with the bloody history of train wrecks and purported deaths of foreign laborers killed by locals. Whatever the truth is, the 60's-era conversion to a single-lane road for cars still makes for a nail-biting drive. They were paving the roadway when I came through, so the tunnel was closed, but I did drive through a similar, but much shorter, tunnel which runs between Dingess and Breeden.

There are lots of churches along the access road to Cabwaylingo, including a couple of Old Regular Baptist Churches, found almost exclusively in remote areas of Appalachia. This denomination does not use musical instruments so they have a song leader who chants a line of the hymn, with the congregation repeating a more elaborate version. It's a mournful-sounding form of worship called"line-out hymnody" which dates back to the 1700's. There are a few samples on YouTube which sound like remnants of some ancient Celtic church service.

Super clean and well kept.

This site was awesome. Super clean, located right in the center of most of the good trailheads for the red river gorge area. A little on the cramped side if all of the sites are full you will be a little close to other campers, luckily it was not full when I went so that was not an issue. Drinking water and running water near the sites and plenty of restrooms close by. No showers near our site but we didn't stay long enough for that to be an issue.

Beautiful place

It is a beautiful campground.. just make sure you clean up after your selves so the next person doesn't have to clean your mess! If you leave food and garbage out you will attract Bears..  Always remember we are in their home so yes they will come for food! Just keep your area tidy and clean and take your trash with you when you leave..

First stay

Campground was nice. Staff was nice. Spots were roomy. They had recently mowed but left all the clippings so it that was quite messy especially being in a tent. Lake was nice to kayak without worrying of large boats. Even though we were paying to stay overnight for 3 nights, it was an additional charge for the pool AND to go to the beach area. I think if you are paying to stay on the grounds this should be included.

Best campground in the Red River Gorge area

We looked at this campground and the state parks on the area. The sites are wooded, level and drain well. The prices are reasonable and the shower house is clean. The camp host is amiable and helpful. We had a group of 15 people who had a wonderful time. There is a great trail right off the parking lot and you're close to a great many other trails and activities. Rock climbing, canoeing and even kayaking in a cave are just a few of the many activities near here

Great spot!

Easy to find a camping spot and the people are extremely welcoming!

Top notch

The best place to camp in WV in my humble opinion. Kids can enjoy themselves riding bikes and not have to worry about them getting hit by cars. You can take a kayak or even boat up to your campsite. There is a disc golf course at the campgrounds as well. If swimming in the lake isn’t your thing then the beech fork pool is not even a min away, nice big pool with 2 diving boards and also a kiddie pool for the wee little ones. All in all it’s a great place and you should definitely try it!

Beautiful!

Grew up going here and still to this day it is my absolute favorite place to camp. You can tent camp which is what we did growing up or you places for campers. Most of all of the sites are shaded. Close walk to the lake with quite a few walking trails. Nice bathhouse’s.

Nice wooded camp grounds semi close to the water

Full disclosure 1st time here and last minute (night before) booking. The whole campground is nice depending on how you're camping. Some site are better than others in general, but some are better fitted for campers and other for tents. I'm not talking about electric/water hookup vs primitive, just layout. We booked Thursday night on a last minute cancellation for Friday-Sunday. A site with electric in the H loop. It was clean and the sites are nicely spaced so you're not right on top of another. Problem is it was all booked up online so we expected a busy campground and over 1/2 the sites booked were empty all weekend. Not that that was a bad thing. It just that better site were available. I think this is a problem with the online booking system that can be fixed. They have a mix of sites and small cabins. We will probably book one of those on a return trip. Despite what the maps show there are no sites that are "waterfront". The sites next to the water have steep drop offs so no back door fishing. It's easy to get to the water just not right at the sites. The swimming beach was a disappointment. The water was nice but the beach itself left a ton to be desired. It's lined with gravel that's not real bare foot friendly. In the heat of the summer when we were there the gravel was extremely hot and hard to walk on. Once I. The water was fine, but if you plan to lay out and tan bring something padded to lay on. Also. The goose poop.. Man was there a ton of goose poop on the beach. I mean all over the place. There is another sand beach that's a boat up to beach by the boat dock that's also accessible by shore but depending on the water level may not be that great. It was sand not gravel and didn't have much "beach. More like field next to water. It was much better. Still goose poop but not as much. The lake water was close to clear and clean. The staff was nice. There are a moderate amount of shower house bathrooms but some site may have a decent walk. There is one store in the campground by the beach but didn't have much in it. Boat traffic for the time didn't seem bad. Overall it was a good trip, and we will probably be back.

Will return

Great campground with super easy access to the trail and lake. The sites are spread apart enough so you aren’t right beside someone - and shaded. Well prepared sites with a clearing, fire ring, and a picnic table. Nice host and rangers too! Bathrooms were meh: the walls need cleaned or painted, no where to put your things, and there was no hand soap - no biggie though.

Red River Adventure

Great place to camp right on the river! I would suggest bring your own fire wood and do not by it there at the camp the wood they gave us was not good and wouldn't catch fire. But other than that I would go back in a heartbeat. With trails close by to explore!