Grayson Lake, KENTUCKY
Most Recent Grayson Lake Camping Reviews
Quiet secluded campground

Love this place, will be returning in the future. We stayed a week and only saw three other campers and no one with in 100 yards of our campsite. All the sites had a fire pit and I believe tables at the sites. They close the gates at night and don’t open the gates till 8 am was the only drawback. The gate adds to the security of the campground I liked that they control coming and going at night times.

Pictures don’t do it justice

Nice secluded area with a lot of privacy

Quaint and friendly

We camped here on a stormy weekend but the weather didn’t stop the exploring. There are amazing areas to hike and explore. The staff was super friendly as well.

Love Coming here!

We love coming here. It’s local for us so if we just want a weekend to get away we typically come here. The restrooms are clean, the sites are well maintained and the lake is close by for some good kayaking and fishing.

Mesmerizing

Who doesn’t like there own island This state park offers you 3, along with great views, beautiful scenery and 18 holes of golf, swimming and hiking options. You also can launch your boat at the marina or since Camping is also available there in the campground. This park has it all, 27 campsites, you can boat in, hike in or drive in and the boat in sites (16) offer your own lake view! Hike in (4) give you deep seclusion in the woods. Fire pits and picnic tables are provided. At the campground are restrooms, showers, and laundry. So no matter how you get here the thought of being on an island with seclusion and spectacular views should have you hooked for a day or longer.

Wonderful place to camp!! Clean , lake is majestic!!

Make reservations!! Great place for riding bike , hiking , walks. swimming, fishing. Staff are friendly, campground is clean. We love going there. Double sites have plenty of room.

Outstanding jaw-dropping slice of beauty

Nestled close to the Ohio River and the Shawnee State Forest, you will find rolling hills and valleys that offer serene beauty and picturesque landscapes. Wildflowers run rampant throughout this enchanted state park, and deer, raccoons, and turkey frolic throughout the more than 1,160 acre paradise. Challenge your family members for a round of mini golf or basketball, or set out on a geocaching adventure. Cruise along one of the numerous hiking trails and or set off on a relaxing ride on the two bridle trails. Rest your head at one of the campsites offering a dump station and showers, or stay in a cabin. If neither of those are your thing there is a beautiful lodge that provides swimming pools, a game room, and breathtaking views of either the river or forest.

Beautiful Tucked Away Gem

This stunning Eastern Kentucky State Park offers spectacular views of rock formations, tree lined roads, and a stunning lake. Whatever your pleasure may be, fishing, boating or golf, you will have amazing opportunities at this over 1,500-acre Park. Hike the couple of trees and admire the hemlocks, rhododendrons,ferns, and mosses. Stay at one of the 71 sites and enjoy gazing at the stars. There’s a dump station, restrooms, and laundry available. Located in Carter and Elliott counties you will simply fall in love with the hills and terrain.

Peaceful, very pretty!

Campground has recently expanded to add more sites. Lots of planned activities for the kids. Great greenhouse down the road for fun in the Fall.

Perfect Family Destination

This Recreation Area offers hiking trails, picnic opportunities, along with shelter house rentals for those family get togethers. The damn provides an excellent place for photos, while the lake is excellent for fishing and birdwatching. Year-round Campground with Electric, tent sites are also available. Perfect quiet area for a family day trip or spending a few days.

Outstanding

Upon entering you will notice the excellent upkeep to the state park. The cemetery that sits on the hill is exquisite. Jesse Stuart Lodge has the grounds looking amazing and the building stands out perfectly against the lake. Well marked trails. The campground provides huge sites for plenty of recreational activities and still have space left over. Playgrounds for children. The marina is well marked and the staff in the marina store are outstanding. Very friendly, and helpful. Lake looks great!

Breathtaking and Peaceful

This is a beautiful state park with breathtaking views of creeks along the roadway, wonderful landscape designed by nature, good hiking trails, peaceful campground, and a nice lodge. The campground is a bit tight, especially when lots of cars are in visiting the campers, very peaceful though as the night goes on. The road to the lake could use a little TLC. Trails are marked nicely, as well as how to get to the equestrian site, Day use area, pool, lodge, and restaurant. Restaurant was very good buffet and menu items available. Lodge was clean and well kept. Very relaxing state park.

Awesome

I've camped here many times with my kiddos and have always had a great time with no trouble

A very peaceful campground!

This is one of the most relaxing campground we have ever been to. It was so nice camping right on the Ohio River,watching barges go by.

Wonderful

It's a a beautiful place to relax and enjoy the Ohio river. Can't wait to go back.

Love this place!

This is a gorgeous campground right on the Ohio River. The new owners are so friendly and helpful. I can't wait to come back and explore more of they area!

Ohio River Campground - Hidden Gem

This is a peaceful and quiet campground located along the Ohio River. All sites have 50 amp and water hook ups. Most have fire rings and picnic tables. It is amazing to watch the river barges go by and they also have fishing available. Shower house is clean and warm!!

The place to stay in the Gorge

Always a great place to plot your adventure.

Awesome campground for climbers

Miguel’s is a great place to camp if you are climbing in the Red River Gorge. I have stayed here many times and really enjoy it. Great campground with awesome people. It offers so many things such as a basketball court, quite heated areas, covered cooking, bathrooms, etc. I highly recommend if your in the area.

Quiet and beautiful

The campground has some really nice sites. Most are pretty level, but bring some blocks just in case. Some of the campsites are shaded and some are directly in the sun (18, 19, 21, 22, & 23). There was one (20) that you parked on beside the road and had to go down stairs to get to your picnic table and fire pit. We stayed on 15 at the end of a loop, kind of secluded. I definitely liked the loop that had sites 1 thru 15. Ours was further from the shower house (which was clean and typical of a state park), but there was a flushing bathroom at the end of the loop for our use. Nice hiking trails and beautiful scenery. There was a boat in campground closer to the lake. The trails led down to the lake at spots. The boat ramp was just a short drive over the hill and easy access. Fishing was great. We caught catfish, bass, bluegill, and crappie. Hosts were wonderful. We camped in a tent, but will return in our camper next summer.

Best family trips every year

Myself and my family have traveled to this campground for as long as I can remember. Have many great memories and loved the trails to the amphitheatres to over look the cliffs. Plus one of them we have our initials carved into the rock. Best memories I have.

Still our favorite in KY

Great sites, clean bath houses, and awesome lake and marina.

Beautiful in the fall

I have camped here in the spring and summer. This was my first trip in fall. The weather was wet and cold, but it couldn’t take away from the experience. The campsite that I was on was a double.(A30). It has electric, no water or sewage on the spot. We had 2 campers on the site with plenty of room. One is 37 ft and the other is 24 ft. There was plenty of downed trees to cut up. You should bring a bow saw. We also brought some wood. We were close to the water and trails. All of the teens that were with us had a ball(hiking, biking, basketball, and fishing). Sites are all clean and level and the bathrooms are clean.

Peaceful, beautiful, a must visit!!

This is an amazingly well maintained, beautiful campground. The sites are on the lake and are large and flat. Awesome views and a tranquil lake for kayaking, canoeing or swimming. This is a must visit park!

Something for everyone

The campground and general area is beautiful with a welcoming vibe. It can get a little crowded in the campground at certain times due to holidays but it's not hard to lose the crowd. Everyone is always extremely kind and treat you like family. The list of activities is almost endless……. boating, fishing and anything else you can do on the lake, trails in every direction, secluded spots on and off the lake for picnics, camping or whatever, stargazing, pool, wildlife everywhere, games and general activities at the campground, community center, dam, parks, and it's really close to town in case you want to check it out. Make sure you check out the Jenny Wiley theater if you can, they are beyond talented.

Awesome Lake

Very clean and fun lake, close to campgrounds, boat rentals, marina, and hiking close.

KOA

We stayed for an overnight. Site was NOT very level. On gravel. Picnic tables and fire ring. Didn't appreciate the grill in the next site (thought it was too close to us). We were in Site #8. Not sure what all is around here. Easy off and on to I-64 - far enough from highway so you don't hear it.

Beautiful and perfectly secluded yet safe

I have only camped here once, but when I did it was an awesome experience! We felt safe but we also felt secluded, as one usually prefers to be while camping for only one night. Amazing stargazing and mountain views not too far away, and not too difficult to find the sites. Would most definitely do it again!

Will definitely return here!

What a nice quiet secluded spot. Such a friendly staff, reasonable prices, and well maintained campground. We spent a great day in the river and an even better night in our hammocks!

My all time favorite Getaway spot!

This is my all time favorite campground. (When I’m not looking for a lot of amenities). This campground is actually a veteran owned boating rental/shuttle service with an attached campground. It’s very spacious, I’ve camped on holiday weekends and never had other campers within 100 ft of my site. I’ve also been on weekends where I was the only camper there. The campsites are fairly primitive, only including a fire ring and a nice picnic table. They do not have any water or electric hookups and no cell service, which is all a plus in my opinion. But they do have a trash bin and portable-potty’s scattered around and they sell firewood on site. Oh and the grass is always maintained. There is so much room and there are a variety of “types” of campsites. By that I mean there are wide open spaces, sites in the trees, sites with sandy floors, etc. The entire campground runs alongside the river bank, so you can put in your own kayak/canoe or rent one from them. I just love this place. It is super family friendly, they have an 11pm quiet time and strict alcohol policy. The owners and all staff are the friendliest people I’ve ever met. Two of the owners know me and my friends by name and strike up convo with us every time we’re there and we’ve only been 3-4 times a year for the past 3 years. This campground is only a two mile paddle to the infamous jump rock and swim hole. Also, you are just 10 minutes from slade, where you will find Miguel’s, (the best pizza you’ll ever eat), gas stations, and cell signal. You’re also only 20-30 minutes away from Muir Valley, an excellent rock climbing destination. And if you have made It this far, I don’t mind sharing with you that if you wade out into the water about 15ft upstream of the boat launch, the river is relatively flat with a sandy bottom that is about 5’ at normal water level. Excellent place for an afternoon swim or a rinse after a hot day of climbing. I looked for photos, I just have one from our trip and It was after we packed up. See below. Happy Camping my friends!