Georgetown, KENTUCKY

Most Recent Georgetown Camping Reviews
Nice, basic campground

We stopped here passing through for 1 night.  My impression was that the camping area was a basic field with not much privacy between sites.  It's good we had a 50' hose because the water hook-up was with other faucets between a few sites.  Not with the electrical hook-up as we were used to seeing.

Decent campground

Nice campground. Not very big though. The do have some pull through sites for equestrian trailers. Good horse trails. Clean facilities.

Walk through history

Fort Boonesborough SP is near I64 and I75 Between Lexington and Richmond , Ky. The Kentucky River is adjacent. I remember watching Daniel Boone in black and white when I was a kid. The Fort is very cool.

I imagine the staff here stays very busy considering the amount of people that pass through. Then there are those visitors that try to get the most for their money and stuff as many people as possible into one site. And my favorite, the ones that think it’s someone else’s responsibility to clean up their trash. So here’s a shout out to the people that do their best to keep it working and try to keep a professional smile on their face while putting up with the less then polite visitors.

Alrighty then…..nice enough busy campground with some sites definitely more preferable then others. Knowing the campground and reserving ahead always makes your stay better. We visited in the off season so did not have to worry about the crowds. Showerhouse was adequate and the sites reasonably level. Sort of a “every available spot” used kinda campground and I would not want to stay here when it is at full capacity. I’m here for the hiking mostly and enjoyed the trails and bridges. The Fort was VERY cool. If my kids were still at home this would definitely be a field trip location! In the area is the Beer Cheese Trail check it out!

Ranger Review: Grubstick Deluxe Kit Big Bone Lick

What a great camping experience! A little bit of everything. Large blacktop campsite with plenty of grassy area. We stayed in site 057 which was a little more secluded then the others. What impressed me most is how quite it was. Even with all the kids there ( it was the kids Mecca). Great pool, mini golf and great playground. Lots of hiking trails. We took a small hike to see the buffalo that live there. Nice museum on site that features a prehistoric Skelton of giant sloth. Small lake and plenty of wild life. Great shower house and bathrooms. This place is a 10! Be sure to visit Noah’s Arc which is only about 20 minutes away!

PRODUCT REVIEW : as a ranger with the Dyrt I get the opportunity to try and review products. I am reviewing the Grubstick. I absolutely loved them. They were light and compact and a lot of fun. We loved cooking over the open fire. They came in a great carry case. We tested each instrument with various foods. The round cage we made a hamburger and it cooked to perfection. We also made garlic bread, hot dogs and strawberry Twinkie shortcake. Of corse the normal s’mores. Easy to add or remove different tools cleanup was a breeze. Will make these a standard on every camping trip! https://grubstick.com

Fishing and kayaking

I’ve been in fishing tournaments and did well also good place to kayak

Our local go to spot

We love this place. It’s close to home so we know the good spots. Some are uneven and tight but most you have a nice yard. There is a primitive loop that you can camp On the lake. No swimming aloud they have a nice pool for that. There is hiking fishing golf mini golf tennis and playgrounds plus shelter rentals. They have a great Halloween month. Most sites are shaded.

Very clean and well kept!

This is an amazing place! Super friendly and helpful staff. AAA+++

Picturesque Bourbon Country

What an amazing stop & RV Park!!!!

We were in the area for a wedding and looking for something to do and Three Trees more than fit the bill.  We called a day or two ahead to reserve kayaks. We had a 4hr rental beginning at 11am, but were told there maybe some flexibility if we wanted to start early depending on other reservations.

We got into town earlier than expected and went over at 9:30 expecting to hang out in the picnic area or hike around to kill time, but the owners met us out front and got us straight on the water.  They were so nice and accommodating, it blew us away.  The RV park (full hookups) was very neatly kept and there are clean sizable shower/bathrooms at the office.

A fantastic experience. We'd do it again if we return to the area.

Decent for a quick stop

Located right off the interstate (a little noisy), road leading into campground is narrow and bumpy. Campground itself is pretty full of longterm residents, just a few daily spots available. Fairly narrow spots but it worked for a night or two for us. No frills.

Small near lake

Small sites near the water

Friendly staff

We stayed at the state park last week and really enjoyed our time there. The pool was nice and the kids really enjoyed it. We had a nice time exploring the park to see the buffalo. I recommend attending one of their hikes to hear the history of the park. We loved it there and hope to go back.

Small, Comfortable Campground

Very nice campground with somewhat secluded areas for rent campers. There is a pool and small play area for kids, nice restroom area, and friendly staff.

Great glamping spot

This is very good for a family that wants to camp. We stayed in the primitive campsite and it was clean and quiet. The grocery store and showers where very close by. They offer the opportunity to rent a golf cart for $25 a week. Fishing is also great!

Good Campground

Good Campground. Bath house were clean.

Large, busy and clean campground

This campground is right off 75, but you can’t hear or see the interstate. 260 sites, so large, but well laid out. Two large bathhouses, camp store, two playgrounds, basketball court, huge pool (real deep end). Horse park is connected, which you can go watch events, pond for fishing, museum, another playground and horses you can pay to ride. Sites are really level, should not need much to get level. Most sites have shade, lots of big trees. No full hookup, but water and 20/30/50. It can be busy, especially on weekends. Lots of golf carts, which is my only thing I do not like. Not real safe for kids to ride bikes on weekends. Stay here often.

Great, small campground and family friendly

This campground is on top of a hill close to the Ohio river. Nice paved sites (not level, but most are not anyway). Water hookup is far away, but we don’t usually hook it up to our pop up. Large sites, and ours has a nice large maple that gave us shade (38). Nice little pool. Bath house was ok, mostly clean. One shower was shut down, so only two working in men’s. Putt Putt was nice, but old and cost 3.50 for adult, 2.50 for kids. Little much honesty. Museum, Bison, two other playgrounds and Ball courts can be found down the hill. Some nice hiking trails as well. Do you self a favor and check our Rabbit Hash general store while in the area. Would come back again.

Not my favorite

I think I'm spoiled to the koa campgrounds. Very dark ar night. Staff not friendly. Said they couldn't print a copy of what I paid. Very disappointing.

Quiet, bathrooms lacking.

We had a pretty decent time at Taylorsville Lake. The spots were spacious, and very nice picnic tables. We did a trail which was nice and went down to a boat ramp to see the lake. You can also rent boats there as well. The bathrooms in my opinion needed a major cleaning. They were nice just not very clean. We most likely won’t visit here again but was nice to hit a Kentucky campground. I have found that camping in Kentucky is much cheaper than in Indiana. Definitely worth a checkout.

Night Vision

I decided to drive by on a roadtrip to see if I could spend the night before continuing on in the morning. The dates were not populating on the reservation website and no one answered the phone, so I just drove in around 10. There were plenty of people still out and about and the bath house was lit up. I drove around one time trying to scope out an empty tent site where I wouldn't disturb anyone. I looked at both tenting areas and either would have been pleasant. The campground was pretty full with only a few spots left. There was a large church group. Nice flat ground with lush grass. I chose a spot at the end of the lot past the RV Loop and I could see a ton of stars and let the sounds of the night lull me to sleep. Very quiet and it was still that way when I packed up before 6 the next morning. The office didn't open until 9 , so I left some cash in the door. I didn't explore anything other than the bath house and the general layout. Seemed to be very well maintained, clean, quiet, and certainly convenient just minutes off the interstate. I wasn't sure I was going the right way at first as you go through a patch of rough neighborhood before arriving at the property.

Nice Park

Spent the Week at BBL. Very nice park with nice hiking trails, hosts where wonderful and no Bugs! They must do an awesome job of spraying because we had no bugs for one week. Downside is absolutely no cell service for me or my wife. Took advantage of the cell free life! Great place!

Nice campground, not a good lake

Nice campground. Taylorsville lake leaves a lot to be desired…. very small

Best family oriented campground

I absolutely love this campground. There is a great deal of things to do with the kids(water wars and different events for them to participate in) the scenery is great and the owners are fantastic.

Best small campground

My absolute favorite campground. It’s small, clean, level pads and just plain fun. They typically have nice activities for the entire family along with the pool and museum.

Stillwaters is a private owned campground. There are 3 different camping ar

There are year around sites, along with seasonal. The shower house is functional. No fancy beach ,you access water in 2 different areas by a concrete boat ramp. There are 2 areas up around the front, if you can climb down hills, access to fish from bank. None in rear. The people who run it are super nice. No working playground, no actual swim area. You do have awesome floating from front boat ramp to the rear boat ramp though.  Took us about 2 1/5 to 3 hrs. To do that  fun fun.fun,loved it.

Tube-a-thon

Every year they have a huge event called tube a thon where everyone tubes the river then camps out. Great people, good area, river is fun. Much less crowded out side of this event.

Hilly, beautiful and secluded

My family stayed here because we were visiting the Ark Encounter.  I’m not sure if there are closer campgrounds, but we chose to primitive camp here for our visit.  We arrived with just enough time to set up up our tent and head back towards Alexandria for dinner and supplies at Walmart.  There is not much variety and choices very close.  The RV and tent area is very hilly.  Our tent ground sloped but it didn’t bother us very much.  The campsites are very close to each other but there was only two other tent campers and they were both over 4 sites over from us. The tent area has portable toilets.  I chose to drive to the shower house when I needed to use the restroom.  The shower house is typical of most campgrounds, a few cobwebs but generally clean with shower and toilet stalls.  There are two shower houses for the entire campground.  The lake is very pretty, a few camp grounds are right off the shore.  The only thing I didn’t like was that there was no water spigot in the main tent camp area.

Dirty and noisy

We were excited to check out this campground on a big trip from Michigan to Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana but we were very disappointed in it! The campground was overly packed - 2-3 cars per site on most. Our site was so dirty, we picked up a Walmart bag full of trash and we didn't get close to all of it - so much was buried sticking out of the dirt. The staff was not friendly. We also found it to have a ton of road noise. We ended up leaving after only one night (forfeiting the additional two nights we booked - they stated they couldn't refund because we booked online and They don't have our money)

We did love going through the fort and kids enjoyed that but pool was a long ways from our site so we didn't go check it out - drove by looks nice.

There was other sites that were grassy and looked cleaner - ours was dirt and in back

They do have nice paved areas to park your camper on.

Not the worst place, but close...

First, the good: Lake Shelby was easy to find. The signs were easy to see and tent sites are well marked. The office, RV area and restrooms were easy to find and also well marked. The tent sites were shaded by nice trees and were located right next to the lake. The group tent sites looked nice and had shade and open areas. You can rent a paddle boat or canoe. However, there has to be an adult in the canoe for rental. There are several docks and a boat ramp. You have to pay to launch and there is an honor box for that. The campsite itself, was mostly flat and partially shaded. The fire pit was nice as well. Now, the bad: The lake was brown and had an oily film across the top. It smelled of dead fish and something else that I couldn't identify. I saw people fishing, but I never saw anyone actually catch anything. The tent sites were down a dead end road, however the amount of cars that went past our site made me feel like there was a parade that lasted almost the entire time we were there. The paddle boat lost steering when we were halfway around the lake. The only thing we could do was go in a circle. It took 20 minutes for them to send someone to assist us. There was a trash can next to our site, however, it was nearly full when we arrived and no one ever emptied it. The restrooms are located at the RV parking area, so we had to drive to use them. In my opinion, the restrooms should have been built in between the RV sites and tent sites to make them easier to access by walking. Overall, I didn't hate my time at Lake Shelby, but there was nothing great enough to make me return or recommend it to friends.

Basic water, electric campground county park campground.

Sort of basic campground, water, electric. Some low hanging branches a little challenge for bigger rigs. Close to a convenient put in spot for canoeing, kayaking on the Dix River (inside the park). Beautiful medium size lake in the park plus standard county park amenities. Does have a disc golf course.

Quiet Private lake not far from Lexington

Got there late and was greeted by the hosts, they led us back on a 4-wheeler, so we know what to expect on the the dirt lane back to the sites. They're first come, first serve, but all the sites have their own advantages. Some are a little slanted, but not so bad its disruptive for sleep. The stars can get pretty bright at night, despite the pollution from neighboring cities, so it makes for some nice stargazing. Apparently firewood is included, and if you let the hosts know, they're very attentive and will come right out to make sure you've got firewood, or even paddles for the boats that are available to use free of charge. There's a shed that is normally stocked with fishing gear, firewood, life vests, trolling motors and other goodies. (Though it was a little sparse on our visit) I wouldn't say it's entirely RV friendly, but maybe 1-2 sites could handle one. If I recall correctly, pets are allowed, but they must be leashed at all times since there's farmland nearby. Overall we loved our visit, and can't wait to go back since m'lady broke her ankle night one, and hence we spent most of our day in Lexington.  Getting into a boat can be a chore with a broken ankle, but once you manage it, its rewarding. HLF is a great place to go if you just want (some) privacy and to relax a bit.