Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, KENTUCKY

Camping Kentucky Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area
Most Recent Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area Camping Reviews
This is someone’s private property

And not a place you can camp

Great sites, beautiful landscape.

You'll have to drive a ways out of your way to get there, but once you do, you'll be glad. We typically have to leave Fridays after work, so we typically arrive at dark; sites aren't well marked, and not much turning room on the road to manuever while you're trying to back up. There are several pull-through options and some small camping cul-de-sacs.

We stayed at site 40, which had a huge pad, great concrete coated picnic table and lantern stand. Firepits don't have grills options.

The camp is quite small, one major loop, and 5-8 sites on the water, but only available first come basis. Friendly and helpful staff and great diner called the Watering Hole 1 mi up the road.

Very nice bathrooms, centrally located, cute playground and right on the water. Only one dump site, and it’s a one-sided, one port, pull-through lane, so if you go at checkout /1-2pm, expect a 2-3 RV wait to dump.

Long term camping

Very good camp ground.good staff and very clean and quiet.

Older campground but still has all you need

We've camped here a couple of times. Lake is nice but some of the sites on the lake are steep. The spot was clean and had a nice picnic table and fire pit.

Electric hook up a bit far from camper. Needed to buy extension for 30-50 amp hookup.

Level? Not so much. Unless you are a master truck driver, and pull a trailer less than 24', you are in trouble backing into most sites. Pray your neighbor moves his/her vehicle for you. Bathhouse needs a total gut job, and more attentive personnel on busy weekends. Area around the campground is great with lots of activities.

Average camping

We've camped and stayed in the lodge and both are not horrible but….This place is a diamond in the rough, and you should focus on the rough aspect. When we pulled up to the lodge it was awe inspiring. We registered in a lovely lobby, and drove to the parking lot by our room. This is where things changed. We carried our bags to the rustic covered walkway, and fought our way through swarms of nats to get to our room. The woodwork is in poor shape, and the metal brackets are rusting. Spider webs and mud dauber nests are all over. We stayed in a ground level room. There is no elevator, so we carried our bags down the stairs. The room is late 60s decor, and kinda funky, but a little worn, furthermore, it was not particularly clean. We called the front desk, and the desk clerk came down personally to vacuum the room, and was as pleasant as can be when she did. The adjoining room next door can be heard through the wall. The dining room is somewhat better cared for, and the food was good. Every staff member has been pleasant and engaging, and the views are amazing. With a good housekeeping manager, a good grounds crew, some maintenance catch up, and spraying for bugs this lodge would be simply fantastic. As it is, it is a tolerable, interesting place to stay with a very nice group of people in contact with the customer. If you choose to stay here, opt for the second floor room and preferably the marina side. It seems less buggy.

Sumn serious scary

Ddinosaurs are coming back soon ,  i think I've had enough of Earth life

Great site and secluded

We loved this site we had it all to ourselves. It was a bunch of trash around we had to pick up. The views of the sunset were beautiful.

Great location

Nice camping, the restaurant/diner was really good.

The cavern was a great respite on a really hot day!

On the river

Beautiful seen..the Tower Rock Camp ground is by the Ohio river..and is very open. Doesn't have many sites so you'd have to get there at an earlier time.. but it has a great view of the Ohio river and across you can see Kentucky

NEEDS UPGRADED

we went there for the night as we was driving through. they had a girl in there by herself and it was her first day and she didn't not know how to do stuff in there and all he sites are off and not even. so you have to go and stay where the horses are cause that area is even.

Very Nice Campground

We like this campground for its beauty and it’s size. Pros: Swimming beach very nice Quiet campground Clean facilities Nice size lake with canoe, paddle board rentals Great kid environment Easy access from Interstate Paved sites

Cons: Sites are very sloped. Worst I’ve ever seen. Major drawback to this campground. Beach is free to public so very crowded and some elements are not family friendly. Prices are higher than most campgrounds. Camp site sizes are small and difficult to navigate.

Summary: I’m really surprised that all sites were paved with such bad slopes. If the state would come back in and level the sites then pave this would be a jewel. Also, charge a fee for beach access to control the rowdy’s from taking over the beach.

Overall a beautiful park that is one of my wife’s favorites.

Small campground for mostly smaller campers

Very rustic, woody campground with water and electric hookups. Very quiet and beautiful sites on Barkley Lake. The sunsets were beautiful! I have a 20’ camper trailer which fit in nicely.

Very nice RV camp here!

This was a very peaceful and beautiful place to camp and explore. We took a break from cooking one night and ate at the Lodge located at the park. We also visited the cave and explored Garden of the Gods. We rode the Ferry to KY and picked up more camping supplies. We will definitely return!

Isolated and Quiet

I loved the absolute isolation and quiet atmosphere that this campsite offers. I saw a few people but they mostly kept to themselves, which was fine with me. I was solo camping and came out to enjoy the solitude. I had a site on the lower side near the lake, I knew there was some rain forecast, but there was a ditch next to my site that I assumed would handle any runoff from the hill above. I was wrong. It rained rather heavily for about 4.5 hours and that little ditch couldn't handle it all. Water flooded under my tent, but the floor held up and the interior stayed dry, but the exterior became caked in mud. The rain also created rather large gouges in the roadways within the campsite, but this seems to be a common occurrence in the gravel roads within the LBL. The gouges in the road leading to the camp were filled in a day or so, so I had no problem driving out.

On the up side, the camp offers views of a myriad of wildlife and great fishing access to the lake. I stayed four days and three nights from Sunday to Wednesday. I imagine that the weekends may draw more of a crowd, but I don't know for sure. But the early part of the week that I was there offered a great chance to truly get away from it all. I was there in late July and other than all the mayflies on the bank, there were hardly any bugs to speak of. Other than the flies attracted to my trash.

Speaking of trash, there is a dumpster on site so there is no need to pack out your litter. The portapot was spotless, so that was another plus.

I would recommend this site and would definitely come back.

Beautiful!

Very peaceful and gorgeous view with boat ramp. The drive in is pretty rough even with us being in a jeep though.

Nice quiet campground

Pros Mini golf on site Nice knob showers - not the push button facets Really nice white sand beach Clean campground and bathrooms

Cons Beach is a public beach so really crowded Sites are tight and most are not level Most are not easy to get into. Only one pull thru

Disappointed

We’ve stayed in a cabin twice at this campground. The second time we booked a one room cabin. They had us in their system for a 2 bedroom cabin (which we had the first time we stayed there.) I proved to them I booked a 1 bedroom cabin & it was their mistake to assign us to a higher priced 2 bedroom cabin. Since all the cabins were booked for the night we couldn’t switch to a one bedroom. They would not refund the difference. I called KOA corporate office and the person I talked to was able to see in their computer system what I was talking about. However each campground is an independent business and it was up to each campground to decide how to conduct their business. To me the proper thing to do was to let me have the two bedroom cabin for the one room cabin price. Convenient location.

Wonderful Friendly Campground

Love this campground, very friendly and accommodating. Lots of fun activities on Holiday weekends throughout the summer season

LBL: Boswell Landing

This site is amazing! We were able to spread out our tents for a group site and we had the perfect set up! We were 100ft. From the lake and had so many trees to use for our hammocks. One of the best camping sites I’ve had in a long time! It has a dumpster located by the boat ramp. Far enough to not smell it but close enough that it was still super convenient. There is single toilet facility for all of the sites, this toilet was the cleanest public camping toilet I’ve ever seen.There was constant traffic in and out due to the boat ramp but we were able to get far enough from the actual ramp that the traffic didn’t bother us. We had two dogs out there with us and they had so much space to roam. When we ran out of ice, it was a 20 minute trip there and back to get more ice. We showed up with wood for a fire, and thought we would need more but people are constantly in and out, so we inherited a ton of wood which is nice, you can also buy wood bundles at the ranger station at Paris Landing. Each site has a concrete picnic table and fire ring as well.

Great place

This place was very nice and well kept. My only problem with it was that people fly in and out of the cove on their boats.

What’s up with the KKK name?

Lovely campground but shocked it’s named after NBF. He was the first grand wizard of the KKK and responsible for the massacre of hundreds of black union troops who had surrendered at Fort Pillow. 😱 Doesn’t Tennessee have some respectable people for whom they could name the park?

Small campsite

The sites are hard to back in with a camper, we had to buy longer extension cables and a longer water hose, sites are very close together, the activities were good had to pay for them not very much. The miniature golf course was good but a little expensive. The beach was amazing but it’s first come first serve regardless if u camped there. It opens up at 10am. The lodge restaurant was amazing buffet and the banana pudding was amazing as well. They do serve a sandwich called Hot Brown I guess it known in Kentucky was good.

Beautiful Location

This KOA is situated on a beautiful lake. We went over Memorial Day Weekend so it was a packed house. In my opinion this particular KOA was not up to par as far as grounds keeping, as the other’s I’ve stayed at. But we still had a great time. Our waterfront site was beautiful, and all the kids loved the zero entry children’s pool.

Good campground on the water

We got the last site. #7. It is across the rd from the lake/bay and a short walk from the bathroom and showers. The campground was clean. The bath house was clean, as well. There were a lot of golf carts making the loop for some reason. Maybe 10/ hour until about 8 pm. It didn’t bother us, but it is worth mentioning. The people who booked the site next to ours came in about 7, and unloaded about 12 teen boys. We thought it was going to be another noisy night, but not so. It was a group of Boy Scouts returning home from camp in GA and they arrived, did bedtime routine, slept, got up and did morning routine, broke camp and left by 9 am. From site 7, you can see the water if whoever is in 6 isn’t using a trailer or RV. You can see water, but through trees. There is a little poison oat or Ivy near 7. There is a dumpster on your way out of the campground. No other trash receptacles. I’m including the campground rules and map. Site 7 was a good site, but the lights from the bathroom interior are blinding from this site at night. We hung a bath towel over the tent to help block that when people opened the door. If we return, we want site 6! our maps app sent us 15 miles for groceries. You don’t need to go that far. There is a nice market and cafe, as well as a dairy bar in the little town about 2 miles before the campground off of Cosby Rd. There is also a bakery just down the rd. on Cosby Rd. Enjoy!

First come first served NOT TRUE

Having watched this campground for days as we traveled west from WV, we saw empty sites daily that said first come, first served. We couldn’t book them because they are booked as campers arrive at the last minute. We could see that 3, then 2, then 1 campsites were left as we approached. The attendant, Susanne, told me that she couldn’t let me have the site because someone else was “on the way”. I told her that it is a gov’t campground, and it is supposed to be booked to whomever arrives to claim it first. I had followed the regulations to book the site and she was supposed to rent the site to me. It didn’t happen. She went on to chuckle snuggly when I said there were other campgrounds in the area and that I might yet find something. It is days before July 4. She said NOTHING is available, I should have booked ahead. As we left, I checked another federal site, just 11 miles away. They had vacancies. Rather than lose the vacancy, we drove 2 miles back to Eureka and had Susanne check to see if the site was, in fact, available, and to “hold” it for us, as she had done for the site we came to claim. This woman just told me there was NOTHING available, without even checking the closest campground!!!

Great Campground with lots of extras!

We’ve only been once but can say it’s a great campground, with 2 boat ramps, store, regular patrols, a beach, activities for kids and pretty good views of Kentucky Lake. Very large and easy access to sites with larger rigs. Ticks were very bad, but this is no fault of theirs. We’ll be back soon!

Great Campground but a little noisy late at night.

5 Star camp ground and activities, but noisy after 10pm with kids on golf carts and partying at their beach location late at night. If they get them off the cart they walk the roads being loud and obnoxious. I camp to relax not to party or babysit.

Great camp ground with great amnesties.

Great easy drive from middle Tennessee with tons of great amenities and staff.