Shepherdsville, KENTUCKY

Camping Kentucky Shepherdsville

Most Recent Shepherdsville Camping Reviews
Private Campground with nice small lake

It’s a private campground with mostly permanent residents. Nice small pond and I hear the fishing is good. The first day here I went to the bathroom/shower and they were dirty-so I didn’t use either and decided to only use the facilities in my RV. Today I was outside and needed to go to the restroom, they were much cleaner this time. Old but cleaner. Staff at the campground seemed nice and friendly.

A waterfall and all

Looove this hidden gem. We stayed there in early March, the first weekend it opened for the year. It's a fairly new park on the site that used to be the Indiana Ammunition Plant. Good-sized sites with a very helpful staff. I hiked trail 2 and found the waterfall and several other gorgeous views. Will definitely be back!

Very nice and well maintained

One of the best camp grounds

Clean but close

The sites are very close to one another but nicely kept. It's a shame they don't open up the side that is closer to the river and spread the sites out a bit. 2 shower houses and lots of fun stuff for older children to do (8-12). Pretty quiet except it is on the airport path so at night you do hear a lot of traffic coming in. Internet is slow slow slow on the weekends if that matters to you or your teen. Plenty of restaurants and groceries right off the exit too.

Incredible long October weekend

Spent 5 nights and had a wonderful time. Enjoyed trails, big lots and lots of stuff for the kids to do.

Best Family Camping

It used to be free with an email request for a reservation but eventually the foundation that runs this campground did have to start charging a small fee to help with maintenance and operating costs. It’s a very family oriented campground with more rules than many campgrounds, such as no alcohol. They want it to be kid friendly and not a party destination. My husband is a “sit around the fire with a beer” kinda fella but he didn’t mind giving up a couple beers for such an awesome experience. They have great hiking trails, a creek with a couple “swimming hole” spots, several large wooden playground systems, a village of playhouses for the kids, an awesome stairway and walkway on a cliff, beautiful surroundings and an awesome staff!!

Decent campground

Nice campground. Not very big though. The do have some pull through sites for equestrian trailers. Good horse trails. Clean facilities.

State of Indiana Part

Absolutely 1st Class. Beautiful sites, clean, well kept, spacious. This is the model for ALL campgrounds.

So beautiful !

This place was gorgeous! The hiking trails were amazing, the scenery was breathtaking, the sites were nice, and the nature center was so cool. We had a wonderful time and plan on returning many times to hike all the trails.

Ranger Review Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket at Axtel Campground

Campground Review: I have stayed at and reviewed this campground before, however this time I am reviewing our experience at site I158 over Labor Day Weekend while using the Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket. Site I158 has no electric or water. It is a fairly small tent site that is very close to other sites. There is only enough room for 1 tent and 1 vehicle. The fire ring is nice and has a grill attached. There is a large picnic table and a prep table with a tall hook, which we hung our trash on. The site is gravel but I was able to put in my tent stakes with minimal effort. The site is completely wooded, so if you don't like tent camping near trees, this site is not for you. The upside is there are plenty of sticks for kindling. I did however get hit with a few falling acorns, and that did not feel good at all. The quiet time at this campground is respected and followed. The beach is great for hanging out and swimming in the lake. The beach had previously been damaged by flooding but was beautiful for Labor Day Weekend.

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt www.thedyrt.com, I get products to test from time to time and today I am reviewing the Men& Women's Thunderlight Jacket from Red Ledge https://www.redledge.com/products/mens-and-womens-thunderlight-jacket?variant=7068462153788. I made a video folding the jacket into the carrying bag after I returned home from camping.

1. What I liked about this product: The jacket fits great. Using the size guidelines on Red Ledge's website, I ordered the appropriate sized jacket and it fits perfectly. I like the sealed edges that kept any water from getting to my clothes underneath. This jacket is lightweight. It is a great jacket to use anywhere, but this would be great for back country camping. Because it's lightweight and breathable, I also used it for sun protection while sitting on Rough River Lake beach. The hood hangs over a little bit keeping the sun and rain out of your eyes. The cuffs and the bottom of the jacket are adjustable, which I love. Red Ledge offers this jacket in 13 different colors, but I chose Mercury(gray). The price of the jacket is a little higher than I expected, however, I believe this jacket will hold up over time and be completely worth it. As a tent camper, I have learned to spend a little more money on better quality products than to buy cheap stuff and have to keep replacing them.

2. What I didn't like about this product: I didn't quite understand how the hood adjust worked and it took me a little bit of figuring it out. However, once I understood what I was doing, it worked great.

Overall, I would recommend this jacket. My son has the youth version of The Thunderlight and he loves it. I think Red Ledge has made a good quality product that anyone can use and appreciate.