Dale Hollow Lake, KENTUCKY
Most Recent Dale Hollow Lake Camping Reviews
A Great View

We have camped here for many years and all the sites are great. Checkin is quick and staff is friendly, helpful. We love that our boat can be moored into a cove very near site. Always beautiful views of Barren River Lake.

Wonderful Eclipse Weekend

Some friends and I camped at Standing Stone during the 2017 Solar Eclipse. The state parks in Tennessee all hosted special programs for the event, and Standing Stone park rangers invited everyone to row out on the lake to watch this magnificent phenomenon. They provided boats and life jackets for everyone who registered and made sure everyone made it out on the water in time. The park also provided everyone with takeaway bags that included eclipse glasses and commemorative swag.

The campground and facilities included water and electric hookups as well as bathrooms with showers. Dogs are allowed as are camp vehicles.

The park has lots of great hiking trails, a playground, and a pool with concessions.

At the end of our trip, my car battery died and we called the park office. Within minutes, a park ranger arrived to jump me off. I can't say enough good things about this park.

Lots of history

This this campsite offers everything you need for a great camping experience. Out tent camping was complete with electricity and a short walk to the bathhouse. It also offered a fire pit and picnic table and lots of shade. You can rent a small Jon Boat for $50 a day and they also offer small bundles of firewood for $5. We fished on Kelly Lake and caught about six fish that were keepers.

Great camping experience

Standing Stone is a great place to camp. The park has spacious campsites, a beautiful lake, and lots of great hiking trails. I would definitely go back.

Cliff Jumping FTW!

Stayed at the primitive sites several times for my birthday. Their is parking nearby, but you either have to hike up or down a hill to get too and from the sites. Totally worth it. The facilities are very nice and the hikes I’ve done are lovely! Huge bonus feature is the awesome and picturesque observation tower at the visitor center, which is conveniently near a trailhead. Favorite part of Edgar Evins is the river access, which allows you to do some cliff jumping and offers a beautiful sunset view!

Camp by the water

COE-Campground. I love this campground, but hate the reservation system. Problem seeing sites booked, and the party no shows leaving a great site unavailable. Very frustrating. This reason knocks it down a couple notch’s on rating system.
Otherwise this is one of the best campgrounds in Tennessee. Beautiful lake views with rolling hills. Phone, TV, Satellite maybe unavailable on some sites. Campground does offers full hook- up, however some sites do not have sewer or 50 amp. Great for families! Kayaking and fishing and also beach for swimming. Picnic table and fire ring at all the sites. Book early!

beautiful views

I have been going to this campground my entire life. It has 10 sites that are spread out on kind of a peninsula sticking out in the lake. It is up on a hill,so the walk to lake is a hefty one from some of the sites. The sites are level and spacious, also they feel secluded. The ramp is a steep grade as are most of the ramps at this lake. The showers and bathrooms are clean and updated. There is a dump station on site. There is a playground and plenty of walking to do. The sites have electric and I think water on each site. The hosts were wonderful. It is out in the middle of nowhere, but worth it. We drove out and bought ice and vegetables on the honor system at a little stand. There are stores to restock supplies not too far away and it is about 20 minutes to Conley Bottom Marina which has a restaurant and general store. We love this place and will definitely go back.

Great Stay

Enjoyed my time staying at Tailwater in Kentucky. It was about an 8hr drive from where I live, so we decided to stay here for a long weekend with friends. We ended up renting out 2 campsite spots to fit 8 of us and luckily we were able to get a spot right next to each other. We had 2 huge 6 person tents, so 4 stayed in one and 4 in the either. We fit comfortably! Thankfully the campsite were fairly large to fit our cars and 2 big tents. The attendants working in the front were super nice and helpful. They helped us find our spots, and then gave us recommendations on where to hike in the mornings. Because we came in the summer, it was pretty busy. The Barren River is right next to the campground and makes for a beautiful day to head down to the river and cool off. The campground is fairly large- I believe it has close to 50 spots. Campground was easy to find, and the signage for the campground was great. Cost was $20 a night per site, so for us it was $40 sense we had 2 sites but we split it 8 ways so it was super cheap. We brought tons of food, and snacks, so at night we just hung around each other- some in hammocks or in chairs and just talked. The hiking was really great- super awesome views. The trails were in such great condition!! Would definitely come back.

Upper Cumberland Visit

Just getting in from a fun weekend at Old Mill Camp in Cookeville, TN. Old Mill is a private campground directly across the street from the entrance to Cummins Falls State Park (the park is a day Park only and has no camping on site). Wide open sites with plenty of well established trees to provide shade. New, modern bathhouse. Hiking to the falls is adventurous requiring two creek crossings (that can be up to knee deep or more depending on where you cross) and some bouldering, but once you get to the falls it’s amazing. The area is right on the Upper Cumberland Wine Trail so lots of impressive wineries nearby. There is also 4 breweries (a fifth opens the end of Oct 2018) in the area. Oh, and you have to visit Ralph’s Donut Shop in downtown Cookeville! We’d really like to go back in warmer weather to take advantage of the many swimming holes on the hike to the falls and be able to play in the falls.

Great Campground

The TN website was down so I was unable to book a site ahead of time and calling I found out the store closes at 4. Not a problem, they said pick a site without a res and pay in the morning. Beautiful view of the lake but werid to be a tent camper with the nice decks. I pick a site with a spot of dirt on the side. Plan ahead, I didn't consider that I couldn't buy firewood after arriving and there was little to choose from in the woods also I may go for the very nice primative sites in the future. You have to walk in but no one was there this trip. I didn't even know they were there until I took a walk the next morning.

Virgin falls is worth the hike

Campgrounds are very primitive. No restrooms or running water. Everything will have to be packed in. Amazing views! Mutiple waterfalls and caves to explore. Highly recommend checking it out. Hike is around 8 miles round trip. Water filters would be a must in my book.

Hiking and Scenery

Not a large campground. Some of the best hiking and scenery around. Excellent location.

Awesome Platforms that overlook Center Hill Lake

This is one of our favorite places. Great engineering to make the platforms hang off the slde of cliffs. This place is very quiet, VERY clean one of the top places near Nashville.

Great spot

Great place to camp. Clean friendky reasonably quiet. Great shore fishing. Not a lot else to do around.

So well kept and amazing scenery

The facilities are amazing and well maintained. There is a large loop for primitive camping and additional loops for electric/ RV sites. If you are a mountain biker, you can ride directly from the campground.

Mighty fine place to be!

Booked this campground online and was very happy with our night stay! Be sure to reserve a spot right alongside water! Online booking shows a very easy to view map of different tent sites.

Enjoyed watching sunset here. Wish we had arrived earlier so we could swim!

Almost near Mammoth Cave

My family of 6 (me, my wife, and four boys 9yrs and under) camped here for a week. We had a great time. We were a little further from Mammoth cave than we wanted to be, but the campground was fun. It is pretty spread out, so biking with the family was a little challenging. And their bike loop was really pretty, but SUPER bumpy and hilly. Pretty hard for the younger ones. The lake was awesome. We swam at the beach, and in eary september, we had the place to ourselves. Campsites were a but small / crammed (we have a pop-up camper). But overall, we really enjoyed it.

Proximity Is Key!!

When coming to Cummins Falls you want to be able to enjoy the day fully, especially when traveling from far away. If you arrive early and are wanting to fully hike down to the waters it is a must to arrive early and by the time you finish enjoying activities driving is not something that sounds appealing. This camp is perfect for allowing you to do just that. Just off property from the falls this is the closest place you can stay and it pays off big dividends!!

Where there is no sign of wifi, this place has your back. Where there is no store in site, again this place is reasonable and well equipped. But this isn't just a place to stay it is a place where you can also have additional activities including Kayaking and horseback riding.

But perhaps my favorite thing about this site is they ALWAYS allow walk-up camping for primitive tent camping and can accommodate a lot of campers. For me as a tent camper with no hook ups it was $20, had I have wanted electrical those sites are $35. Both sites come pretty standard and similar in way of picnic tables, fire rings and parking which is really nice.

I was there midweek and there were a lot of other campers but it didn't seem loud and I really liked that there was an area which said campers only so people just coming out to the falls weren't roaming around camp.

• Check out other things to do in the area, it is a really neat area with tons of things to do within driving distance. This is a great place to hub.

• Enjoy the Falls but be mindful of the hours, it is not a 24/7 site and does close if you arrive late in the day you will not be able to go all the way down the trail to the water itself.

• Check their website because they are in the process of upgrading their facility even further and will soon be offering cabins as well :)

An Interesting Approach To Steep Surfaces

When you come to a park on a mountain, most of the time you find your campsite is riddled with rocks, uneven or somehow an attempt to make a level surface has been made. Fact is, most of the time the ability to address such an issue is ill thought and you spend a lot of your time setting up to find the spot which best suits.

But not here! Here they have built platforms for making camping easier, even in the worst of hilly conditions.

These little mini decks are spread throughout the park and made available for campers in tents as well as RVs, depending on the area you select your site. It is like a deck built to withstand heavy objects.

Let me just explain the level of confusion I had when I arrived at my site and saw this however…lol. As a tent camper I had all the normal questions you might have when seeing a deck: What is this? How do I secure my tent to it? Do I park on it too? Is this going to make my floor of my tent feel weird?

It wasn't to long after I saw another tent camper, also on one of these pads, that my entire world made sense and soon I was settled in and enjoying a great view, all thanks to my elevated and even pad. It was almost spoiling me!

The typical amenities are present, picnic table, grill, power (some not all sites) and nearby was a nice bathhouse and store. It was a great retreat.

The lake itself was beautiful, just made me wish I had a canoe with me to enjoy it a bit more. But since I couldn't I enjoyed the outdoor spaces lining the shoreline instead and checked out some of the hiking trails here. LOVED the hiking here!!

Inside the Visitor Center you also can find a really cool observation tower that if you are willing to put the foot work in and climb you can see some of the awesome views from high atop the world!!

TIPS:

• Watch for deer!! There seems to be a deer around every bend here and around dusk they have zero fear of the road.
  • Rent a kayak from the store just across the street from the main entrance, they have day and week rates available.
Open The Floodgates To Nice Camping

This is a private facility which offers security at entrance. When I first pulled up I thought it might be a part of the Corp of Engineers dam site just a couple hundred yards away but it was in fact private.

For only $18 a night I was able to check out a great tent site which was not super close to anyone else. It was not a crowded campground at all in fact. I could see a few long termers set up but everything was kept at a great standard as opposed to allowing things to look unkept when staying for extended times.

There is free WIFI available, however in my site it struggled a bit so that was a little sad.

Otherwise the location itself was very nice. They do provide a laundry service for $5 a day and outdoor spaces for families to enjoy including a play area for the kiddos.

My favorite part of this location was its proximity to the water itself, you could hear the sounds of the flood gates in the distance and it sounded like a waterfall which made sleeping a breeze. During the day there was lots of area to explore because of the same water.

TIPS:

• If staying here there are a few things available in the store but not many so make a stop before arriving. There is a shop just up the road and over the dam, it offers many things and also equipment rentals for the water.

• Be careful when driving in, the road is windy and currently (August 2018) they are working on the roadways and having "blasting" zones.

Amazing campground

Great campground and park. Unbelievably clean bathrooms and showers! Site have bear proof cabinets for your cooler, and rangers are super friendly.

Great place. Love this area of ky

Books fast during summer weekend. Close to major cities. Great sites and friendly staff.

Nice facilities! Awesome restaurant!

We tent camped in August. The campground area was huge and perfect for tent camping or an RV. We were next to the restroom building which also served as a storm shelter. The restrooms were air conditioned and very clean! The only negative thing I have to say about the site is the fire ring needed to be cleaned out. The Rowena Landing restaurant had a good buffet and excellent catfish! The pool was closed for repairs and that was disappointing. The country store was very close and offered a small selection of foods, but most everything you would need for your campsite. The mini golf was fun, but there was a little flooding on the course due to a crazy storm the day before. Everyone was very nice and this felt like a safe place to be. The lake was crazy beautiful and worth going out on to see.

Great site for families

This site has some really nice cabins. You can drive right up to the cabin and park. You will have full amenities and lots of room, depending on which cabin you choose. There are big lodging cabins for large groups. There are great trails all around the lake, dam, and old historic sites. Generally very well kept. Most notable part of the campsite is the staff. They are sooooo friendly and knowledgeable. Great to talk to and helpful all the time.

Best campground around!

You can park your boat right by your camp spot. There are parking lots for your trailers. I love walking a few feet to the beach, and my boat. Beautiful shady spots.

Below the dam at Kendall

First of all, this is an Army Corps of Engineers campground. So if you have a Seniors National Parks pass, your stay is discounted.

The campground is small by some standards but very well kept. Most sites have electric and some have water.

Bath house is above average in size and the do keep it clean.

The campground is below the dam at Cumberland Lake and runs along the river there. The water movement does seem to create a cool breeze since the water coming out of the dam is rather chilly.

Bring your fishing gear unless they are opening the flood gates…then the water is really too high and fast to fish from the shore.

Campsites vary from smallish to rather spacious depending on the size of your rig. All are gravel with picnic tables and fire ring along with a sturdy pole for hanging food or trash. Most sites have at least partial shade if not full shade.

There is a small food shack down by the river where you can get breakfast or hot dogs and burgers for lunch. They do have ice there so you don’t need to leave the grounds.

All in all a very pleasant location. we have returned a few times now.

beautiful campsite

Standing Stone was full of large, beautiful trees. Super secluded feeling camp sites. Had a pool, volleyball courts, short hikes, and soccer fields. The bathrooms were super clean. We’ve been twice and LOVE it.

best campground in all of Tennessee

Awesome campground, not a negative thing to say. it’s our favorite campground. It’s a must stay.

Close to water, but not really easily accessible from campsites.

Near a fish hatchery so you should be able to catch rainbow trout, four of us fished for an hour and a half and never got a nibble. Some sites are shaded but others are completely sun. Very nice camp hosts.