Owensboro, KENTUCKY

Most Recent Owensboro Camping Reviews
Beach, camping, what else do you need?

Great place to set up camp and enjoy! On site washer and dryers, very nice shower houses, the camp attended is super nice, all the staff will go above and beyond to make your stay a great one. Every night there are deers out grazing and it's near fishing spots, and Wayne's right up the street is a super nice little country store. I will be going back to camp there again and again.The restrooms and grounds were very clean at the campsite. The camp host and store clerk were friendly and helpful. This is a very small park with a quiet campground. There is no gate to the campground, so there is some traffic that comes through from time to time which I didn't care for. The trails were nice. The beach and beach house were just okay, not bad, but not great either.

Great campground

Great campground. Facilities are clean and well kept. Good fishing lake. Friendly staff. Our favorite.

Ranger Review Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket at Axtel Campground

Campground Review: I have stayed at and reviewed this campground before, however this time I am reviewing our experience at site I158 over Labor Day Weekend while using the Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket. Site I158 has no electric or water. It is a fairly small tent site that is very close to other sites. There is only enough room for 1 tent and 1 vehicle. The fire ring is nice and has a grill attached. There is a large picnic table and a prep table with a tall hook, which we hung our trash on. The site is gravel but I was able to put in my tent stakes with minimal effort. The site is completely wooded, so if you don't like tent camping near trees, this site is not for you. The upside is there are plenty of sticks for kindling. I did however get hit with a few falling acorns, and that did not feel good at all. The quiet time at this campground is respected and followed. The beach is great for hanging out and swimming in the lake. The beach had previously been damaged by flooding but was beautiful for Labor Day Weekend.

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt www.thedyrt.com, I get products to test from time to time and today I am reviewing the Men& Women's Thunderlight Jacket from Red Ledge https://www.redledge.com/products/mens-and-womens-thunderlight-jacket?variant=7068462153788. I made a video folding the jacket into the carrying bag after I returned home from camping.

1. What I liked about this product: The jacket fits great. Using the size guidelines on Red Ledge's website, I ordered the appropriate sized jacket and it fits perfectly. I like the sealed edges that kept any water from getting to my clothes underneath. This jacket is lightweight. It is a great jacket to use anywhere, but this would be great for back country camping. Because it's lightweight and breathable, I also used it for sun protection while sitting on Rough River Lake beach. The hood hangs over a little bit keeping the sun and rain out of your eyes. The cuffs and the bottom of the jacket are adjustable, which I love. Red Ledge offers this jacket in 13 different colors, but I chose Mercury(gray). The price of the jacket is a little higher than I expected, however, I believe this jacket will hold up over time and be completely worth it. As a tent camper, I have learned to spend a little more money on better quality products than to buy cheap stuff and have to keep replacing them.

2. What I didn't like about this product: I didn't quite understand how the hood adjust worked and it took me a little bit of figuring it out. However, once I understood what I was doing, it worked great.

Overall, I would recommend this jacket. My son has the youth version of The Thunderlight and he loves it. I think Red Ledge has made a good quality product that anyone can use and appreciate.

Stayed 3 nights

We loved this campground. We were there 3 nights. Most of the sites are rather private from each other. The bathrooms were very clean, even the vault toilets, and had the best TP in them. The hosts were very nice and friendly. They introduced themselves in the first hour we were there and invited us to a couple of free events and made recommendations on the best hikes for what we wanted to see. We would go again, but I think we'd want to enjoy more water activities next time. We'll have to bring a kayak or paddle boards.

Great Place

Camping, boating, fishing, hiking, and biking- so much fun

Nice campgrounds for the whole family!

There is plenty to do here for the entire family.. plus it has Holiday World right next door! Also it is a well up kept campground!

Small nice park

Great smaller sites with privacy

A little slice of heaven

As a avid disc golfer. I absolutely love coming to the place for events. The permanent campers are super friendly. A beautiful lake with plenty of activities to do on it. Showers on site. Oh the disc golf course is top notice. One (if not best in the state)

Nice, kid and family friendly

This is a small campground. Campsites are tight but all centered around a decent sized bath house. There is a lot to do at this park, playgrounds, bike and walking trails and a good sized lake with a beach, all within walking distance. I would definitely do this one again.

Enjoy a beach in the middle of KY!

I suggest you make a reservation as this campground fills up quickly. Axtel is located on the shore of Rough River Lake and has over 150 camp sites. Almost every site has quick access and/or views of the lake. There is a designated swimming and beach area. There are several restrooms located throughout the campsite. They were clean and stocked with toilet paper and hand soap. There is an easily accessed dumpster area and dump station near the main entrance. WiFi is available however, there is a fee. There is a boat ramp, so you can bring your boat and/or other watercraft. Fishing is allowed as well. There are a lot of sites with electric and water, but some without either. There are sites for tent camping and RV's. Sites have fire pits and a post with a hook for hanging trash and/or lanterns. No alcohol is allowed. Dogs on a leash are allowed. While we were here, several of the sites along the lake were flooded (see pics). The beach had recently been closed due to flooding, but was open while we were there. If you dig down just a couple of inches on the beach, you'll find clay. My kids loved this and made a couple of clay pots (see pics). As with most campsites we visit, people here were friendly and courteous. There is not a market on site, however there was a Dollar General about 13 miles away. They had a lot of the groceries we needed. There were also several gas stations along the way there that had ice and firewood. This is a great place for families to enjoy a beach without leaving KY!

Love it!

Stayed here over 4th of July weekend. Every site was booked so it was packed but the sites are comfortable size. Lots of activities were planned and we had so much fun! Loved the aquatic center!!!

One of our favorite places

This is one of our favorite places to camp. Very clean and lots for us to do!

Tailgate party

This was not a campground, it was a tailgate lot. Thought I was back in the Coke Lot before the Indy 500. Loud music at camp sites, people driving golf carts around playing loud inappropriate music, people driving around yelling at all hours of the night.

What's weird is that these people had no reason to do this. It seems they were being loud and obnoxious just for the sake of being loud and obnoxious. This campground seems to have this weird culture of showing off flashy golf carts. I was not impressed.

You would think the campground would try to control people a little bit but never saw an employee.

Proximity to Holiday world is awesome, facilities we're awesome. Just not a great CAMPING experience.

Great all around campground

Nice clean campground. Most sites are pretty large. Nice pool with water slide. They just need better walking trails.

Happy camper

We camped here and enjoyed our time fishing and going on the go carts. It was also nice to ride the golf cart around the park to get around. We brought ours but you can also rent. The swimming pool stays pretty full but is nice. The only negative I guess is sites are pretty close together at the sites we stayed at (there were some larger ones ) and we enjoy a little more room.

Fun for the Family!

Very clean campground, with a great family vibe to it! I used to camp here when I was a kid, and it’s still just as wonderful as I remember.

The staff are incredibly helpful. There are options for all kinds of campers: RVs, tents, cabins. If you aren’t going next door to Holiday World, they have a decent size pool and slides, as well as an arcade and playground. There is a camp store as well as a pizza place located in the center of the campground.

For the camper who enjoys to be farther from their nearest neighbor, this place may not be for you. While campsites are spacious, you can see and hear your neighboring campers. :)

Lotsa trees

Ranger Review: Primus at Harmonie State Park

I recently visited Harmonie State Park near New Harmony, In. https://indianastateparks.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=IN&parkId=570048 Just a heads up when camping in Indiana there is a fee to visit the State Parks. I always carry cash for that , laundry and in some states bathroom use. So, the number one thing that stuck out to me about this campground was the shade. For the most part it’s level (floodplain…I saw no standing water) And all the sites are nicely shaded (we are talking full growth) and good size. The sites are electric only, no water, no sewer. There are centrally located water hydrants and a dump station on the way out of the campground. The campground wasn’t very full when we visited, but there is a plethora of activities to enjoy. An Olympic size pool which back in the day my kids woulda loved. Hiking paths (very wide), one right by the campground and a connector trail to the mountain bike trail area. There’s also a bike section on the paved roads. You could spend a comfortable week here and not be bored.

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I get to occasionally try out outdoor products while camping and this trip I brought along some Primus “kitchen gear” https://primus.us/ . Primus is known for its camping stoves , the kitchen accessories are pretty sweet too. I have the Trailsporks , a long spoon , a spatula for grilling , campfire plates and a campfire knife. These are very sturdy made accessories and pack in my kit without taking up a lot of space. There are a lot of options on the site to fit your packing needs too, from family fireside to fastpacking . I’m building my fireside kitchen kit .

Clean! Clean! Clean!

They have one of the cleanest parks! This is a Corp of Engineers reservoir that is well maintained. We stay in various places all over the park and the best thing about this is there are no fees to access the public areas of the dam to fish or lake! Our children love to camp and play around the lake!

Very kid friendly!

This camp site was very clean. There were very well maintened playgrounds for the children and lake activities were endless.   There are very decent pontoon rates at the marina.

Family Friendly & Private

Very clean and friendly. The beach was closed but we found a swimming hole off the beaten path. The primitive campgrounds are very clean. The lake water is very clean and the fish are bountiful!

Sub-par campground

Cramped, hookups mis-placed and generally older and somewhat seedy. The county really needs to clean the campground up and evict some of the “Walt and Jessie” rv’s. It’s a jolt when you come up on it tucked in back by the bmx track. The park is a million times nicer than that campground.

Very clean and family friendly.

They have a great swimming pool. They do fun things for families to join in. They have bike trails all throughout for you to bike on. Very kid friendly!!

Fun!

Family had a blast here! Sites are on top of each other so be prepared when navigating and backing in. Site are level and full hook up. Tons to do and Holiday World is a shuttle ride away. Great family fun!

Large Spots, Very Shady

This campground has 200 sites, electric only. 4 nice bathhouses. Water stations throughout, can use to fill up but not stay connected to.  Most sites gravel, about a handful that are paved for handicap.

Has 3 different playgrounds throughout, recently updated. Nice nature center.

Park also has a pool, family cabins (10), and access to the river.

Family friendly near theme park

Lincoln State Park is usually packed.  It’s less than 10 miles away from Holiday World.  I think a lot of theme park visitors camp here.  I’ve stayed in both electric and primitive.  Bathhouses are kept clean and staff is friendly.  Book online using Reserve America to make sure site is available.

Edge of lower eastern Indiana

Over 200 gravel sites many sloping so choose wisely. I chose site 39 and it was close to level. Well spaced.Vault toilets and bathhouses. Only lower camp area bathhouse open before summer.Garbage bin overflowing. Fire pit, table, electric. Playgrounds. Water nearby. River with boat launch in park. Lots of bike trails. Large pool with water slide open in the summer. Same for nature center. Great trees. Quiet. Quirky little town of New Harmony nearby.

Harmomy state park

The camping has all the amenities a camper needs.

Fantastic

Nice trees and showers!

Camping

Nice quiet and a Great Lake to go fishing.

Great Family Fun and Adventure

Such a wonderful family oriented campground with excellent amenities. Pets are allowed and the sites are gravel or concrete. Relax at the pool, enjoy mini golf, playing at the game room, mining for gems, or shooting some hoops. There is also a shuttle that will take you to Holiday World. Don’t have an RV? Not an issue, choose a cabin, cottage, or stay in one of the rental RVs. They offer restrooms, showers, heat, kitchens and a lot more.