Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area, KENTUCKY
Camping Kentucky Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area
Most Recent Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area Camping Reviews
Best staff, super clean, lots of activities

Easy pull through RV sites, some with patios, some extra room, mostly shaded. Kids enjoyed the pool, Gaga ball, playground, jumping pillow, and passport activities. Overall an excellent stay!

Entrance and exit are a bit steep, just take it slow :)

What’s not to like?

We have stopped here several times on our way to/from Ohio from the South.

As others have mentioned, all the sites have concrete pads (fairly level) with full hookups. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Nice view of lake and some shade trees. Perfect for our truck camper. All for a price of less than $30 (with senior discount).

We’ll certainly be back.

Great place for the family

Big ridge has everything you could ask for in a campground for the family

Awesome Campground

Campground is awesome. Very clean and a lot of great amenities

Beautiful View!

We only stayed 2 nights, so my review is limited. The only downside is the horrifically unleveled sites. The bathrooms were clean, the view from our site was spectacular and the staff was very helpful. The sites were spacious and the access roads were very easy to maneuver.

Great place

Well kept campground. Outhouse available. Easy water access. Cumberland trail access. Good 14+ mile hike to great swimming at Devil's Breakfast Table

I love this place

It was my first time camping. So much to do on site. Great shade. I love this place. Pet friendly.

Secluded and on the water

My wife and I were looking for somewhere close to Knoxville with some privacy on the water for a Sunday night camping spot. This TVA ground did not disappoint. We were the only two on the entire island camping and or fishing. There are obviously people out there Fri and Sat nights but if you want a private island camping experience with your campsite on waters edge, this spot is amazing. There is even another little tip of the island you can kayak, swim or even wade to depending on depth of the water. There are fire rings in multiple locations and plenty of places to tuck back in for some privacy if anyone else is camping out there. It would be a great place for Kayak or bank fishing as well. About a 45min to an hour drive from Knoxville. There are no restrooms and or amenities so plan accordingly. Roads to get back there are dirt and steep/rutted out slightly in some places. You don’t necessarily need 4 wheel drive or an off-road vehicle but if you are worried about your vehicle running up against branches then this place isn’t for you. We absolutely loved this spot and can’t wait to go back!

Nice campground with a great little hike

I stayed here in early March of 2018. The campground is so prone to flooding that they have the picnic tables on the lower loop chained down so they don't float away. The hike to Bee Rock is very enjoyable. Lots of small falls and cool views of the muddy river.

Really good sites and prices

Good primitive sites. If they are really busy it can be a little crowded especially down by the water but over all a really good camping spot

Camping

Had a great time at this park.

Stargazing with privacy

My wife and I happened upon this state park when looking for a last minute substitute for another campsite. We were late arrivals, had no problem finding an open site on a Saturday night in the summer. Plenty of open spots with privacy. This campground offers sites with open space for stargazing and/or sites closer to the timber with canopy cover. The campground was less than 20% occupied, so plenty of great spots available. Great for hammock camping, electric hookups or tent. Bathhouses were clean. Bathhouse also included laundry. Campground offers a large amount of cabins, some can accommodate larger groups. You can access the lake from This campground including kayak, canoe, and boat rentals. You can also find a swimming beach area next to the rental boats. There are a plethora of trails to hike including a suspension bridge over the river, and a number of geological landmark sites to hike to. We enjoyed our stay.

Very nice!

We were very happy with this campground. It seemed a bit pricey for full hook-up but was very nice. The campground was very clean and well maintained. The entrance to the campground is surprisingly steep.

Sara’s ? birthday

Beautiful beautiful Cumberland

Beautiful Night Sky, Quiet Camping

Pickett State Park is a great spot to camp if you like peace and quiet, but don’t want to have to backpack in to a spot. Despite the small campground, it was pretty much empty on the first weekend in August when we stayed. It is near the Big South Fork, and Scott State Forest, so there’s lots of great hiking, horseback riding, river recreation, etc. nearby. From other reviews on The Dyrt, I learned the park is excellent for stargazing, and it is true, you will have amazing views at night, we slept in a tent without a rain fly, just so we could see the stars!

The campground has several sites with electric and some without. We stayed in B1, which did not have electric. All the sites have picnic tables and fire rings, and the ones on the outside of the loops back up to the woods and trails. All the sites are spacious.

The restrooms were clean, but they must be pretty old. There were some areas in need of tile repair, but it was just a cosmetic issue, so it didn’t bother me. The showers were nice, and everything was clean.

The campground also has cabins, and those seemed to have more guests than the campground. They have a set of cabins that were connected, like apartments, and they have some larger, freestanding cabins too. They had a group site as well, but I did not go to it.

The park has a lake with swimming area, and canoe/kayak/paddle board rentals, a swinging bridge, playground, tennis courts, a gigantic picnic area, and several great trails.

This was a very pleasant find, and we will definitely return!

Beautiful lakeside sites -- Paddleboard, Kayak, then watch the stars!

Lillydale sits on Dale Hollow Lake, which -- for some delightful reason -- has serious limits on development. This makes for green hillsides, clean water, minimal power boats, and very, very few houses or businesses along the shores.

The campground itself is clean and quiet. Hosts were very kind and helpful. Many of the sites back up to the lake; we were fortunate enough to find one of the lakeside sites, and just dropped our kayaks and paddleboards right into the water.

The lake has dozens of little "fingers" and "tendrils," making for great little coves to paddle, explore, or just find some peace and quiet.

We'll definitely be back!

Not a good campground

Nice place for cabin rentals. Campsites are nothing to write home about.

Best campground in the state

VERY CLEAN! Easy to get to. Bring your boat. Laurel is the clearest lake in the state. Extremely nice grounds and hosts.

Solitude- Lake and Forest

I recently learned that TVA land is free to camp on, so I sought out some close to me and found Fork Bend. If you want to get away from people, this place is for you. Fork Bend is a heavily wooded forest surrounded by Norris Lake, which is known for being the best lake around the area.

You can camp anywhere you’d like, so we found a great spot right on the lake. Unfortunately there’s a lot of trash around, it’s truly a shame some people pollute something so beautiful.

You won’t find restrooms, hookups, picnic tables, or anything like that, this is just public land for recreation. Hunting is allowed also, so be aware of hunting season dates. The road through the land is gravel, but it’s fairly rutted out in spots, so I don’t think I’d take a car through there, you’d be safe to take a truck or Jeep or something similar.

We enjoy truly being away from it all in nature, and the amazing lake, so we will be using this spot on a regular basis!

Great Place to Experience Norris Lake

Short drive to marinas. Boat ramps on the grounds. Campsite has views of the lake. Plenty of hiking trails near the campground. Two of the bathrooms were really nice but unfortunately we were close to one that was not as nice. Neighbors were close but we had plenty of space. Definitely a great spot if you are planning on spending majority of your time on the lake!

Crazy cool camping PLUS a brewery!

This is a place you really need to experience! The campground is multi acres of woods, it’s first come first served, but it’s so large, I can imagine it ever being too crowded. The cost is $5 per person, paid via honor system in the mailbox when you enter. It’s perfect for tents. We were limited on site selection with our rooftop tent, and I saw a couple teardrop campers, but you can’t take anything larger. There are several structures on the property for gathering around a fire pit, if you want to be social, or just walk up to the brewery! The campground did offer a family/group camp site on the other side of the brewery, but I don’t know that this is a place for kids. It was pretty wild at night! A live band playing until the early morning hours, and drinks flowing among the thru hikers and rock climbers, bachelorette party group, and gypsies staying in the campground!

Two portable toilets were in the campground, they could use a good cleaning, but depending on the site you choose, you probably would be better off just using nature anyway.

The brewery serves beer that’s brewed on site, with hops also grown on site! Super cool! They have a food truck there too, where they serve pulled pork sandwiches, nachos, hot dogs and sausages, etc.

We will return to the Lilly Pad, but will take a tent and seek out a more secluded site, and will take advantage of the swimming hole, and the Obed River nearby!

Like no place I have ever been

This is one of the most eclectic places I’ve ever been. Almost felt like I was a traveling gypsy staying in this campground. Such a cool group of people and setup. It’s hard to even put this place into words. The campground is dispersed where you can choose anywhere you like to stay. You can find group sites or individual private sights tucked way back in the timber. The brewery on sight is a short walk from the campground and absolutely amazing. They grow their own hops on sight and have a food truck daily. The live music was awesome on Sat night. We had some added entertainment from one of the guys staying at the campground who shot flames out of his mouth while spinning a baton with flames on either end (I can’t make this stuff up)! You simply have to check this spot out because words can’t explain what you will experience. It’s only $5 per person per night and available 365 days a year and 24/7. Fires are not permitted during the summer.

Clean love the river views. Hosts are very helpful

Great getaway. You can fish off the banks of the Cumberland river or take a swim. Close to trails and a waterpark too. Love the peace and tranquility. We will be going back again.

It is a very quiet and peaceful camping. The campsite are beautiful and the

They have horse sites to bring your horses .and you can camp right with your bourses.They also have RV sites and tent camping. You can fish in the river and go tubing and Canoeing in the river. They even have Primitive camping. They are right on the river.  The owners are really nice. It’s a very peaceful campground where you can connect with your soul.

Great primitive campground

Great primitive campground that is expanding each time we visit. The quiet relaxing atmosphere of the river speaks to your soul. Peace and quiet with plenty of nature to explore

Beautiful and quiet

Everything about this campground is what everyone needs its beautiful and quiet and lots to do. The owner is polite and amazing to work with if you need anything she will try her best to get it or find resources for you. You can have fires down there and watch the water it's so amazing. I love going there and I know you would to. <3

Amazing place!!

Sanded, river front tent sites. The camp sites are also shaded, very comfortable even in July. Great place for canoe, kayak & swimming activities. Fishing, hiking and more. The Horseman’s Camp is also nice, miles of trails to be discovered just at the dead end of the road. The owners are friendly, accommodating. Local guy delivers firewood for a great price.

Good place

Swimming, fishing, hiking, and mtb.

Tucked away behind the state pen

Clean and quiet. Good hiking. Fun spot near home base.

Great place to try and find

Don’t have a horse but everyone was friendly and we enjoyed our stay. Very quiet getaway