Rock Fork , KENTUCKY

Most Recent Rock Fork Camping Reviews
Gorgeous views and friendly staff

So we were a little skeptical after not enjoying the sister site to this campground (Middle Fork Campground, see my review) but were pleasantly surprised. Although the privacy issue was still an issue (I'm sorry, but when I am camping I don't really want to know any other humans exist) because the sites are really close with no foliage in between, the site we booked A07, was, I believe, the best one. Nestled back into the campground and nearest one of the trails, A07 was lovely and somewhat secluded.

Unfortunately, we haven't had the best weather for camping so far in 2021, rain ruined our plans to do more hiking at the Red River Gorge this weekend, but we will most likely go back to Whittleton for a short weekend in the future. Beware, if you forget to stock up on firewood, the camp store closes a little earlier than expected. (Around 5pm on Saturdays). Overall, we enjoyed our stay. Happy Camping!

Lago Linda is mediocre.

Limited Wifi, only 2 bathrooms, RV camping is not so great in that campsite are close to the road. Tent camping looks much more pleasant down by a lake.

Amazing area

We stayed at one of the walk in sites and loved it. We felt like we had the forest to ourselves. Beautiful area with amazing hiking. The

Campground not nearly as impressive as the views!

Stayed at Middle Fork Campground in March 2021, love Daniel Boone National Forest and love the hikes/views at Natural Bridge but the campground is not what we had hoped for. Primitive tent sites are almost right on top of each other with little to no foliage to create privacy. Tent sites are a hike from the restrooms, if you have to go in the middle of the night just hope no one is driving over the ridge from the RV lot, you likely will get surprised! Though the area itself is beautiful, we will not stay at this primitive site again. We have reservations coming up for Whittleton, the other campground across the street, and are eager to see if it is right for us. This is only a short drive for us and a great distance to get away for the weekend. Happy camping!

Fun, Family Friendly

This campsite is simple but enjoyable and located right next to the RRG. It is family owned and they are wonderful and so hospitable. Prices are low, and you can also purchase a size able amount of firewood for cheap. They’ll even drop it off for you. If the campsites are full, they’ll do their best to accommodate you in the own field section. Bathrooms are small but clean - no showers. Plenty to do on site, including fishing, karaoke some night, or visit the Reptile Zoo which is a short walk away.

Nice Camground - Hard to reserve RV Sites

As the title says, it is a nice campground, and we would recommend it to anyone, but actually getting a reservation is difficult. I tried for two years before I finally got a reservation. While we were camping (last weekend in March), I checked again and it was all booked up 😨 all summer, crazy. Primitive sites are easy to reserve, and they are in a nice little holler, that offers plenty of shade from the sun, which will be nice in the summer.

They have nice bathrooms/showers/toilets. Need updated but cleanliness is what matters most. Laundry facilities on site too. Wifi available bc there is no LTE service. We love fishing on Paintsville Lake! The boat dock is just above the playground and basketball/volleyball courts, plus there are plenty of places to fish on the bank. Gorgeous views. The Marina has a restaurant in in, but we didn’t get the chance to try it. There is also a gas station 2-3mins up the road that has firewood and propane. It is 10 mins from town too. It is right on the lake so expect geese poop. And as for doggie poop, they even have poo bag stations set up in several different places! Of course we bring our own, but it’s the first campground I’ve seen offer that.

The RV sites are level with gravel and spaced apart. If you’re thinking about camping here AND can get a reservation, do it.

Perfect Spot right off the Mountain PKWY just over a mile from NBSP.

We stayed here from a Friday through a Sunday. We arrived and checked in. You cannot bring in firewood from outside of Natural Bridge State Park/Red River Gorge, so we purchased some with our reservation. They loaded up a wheel barrow for us and we took it to our site. We stayed at site 11. It was at the end of the row and opened to a nice grassy area in front of the Bathhouse and Restrooms. The staff was super nice and accommodating when my mom arrived the day after. It rained quite a bit while we were there and draining of the campground was good. They have a pond you can fish in. It right next to the KY reptile zoo, which was super cool. Right down the road you have lots of cool shops, places to eat and of course, natural bridge. There is a gas station close by if needed. Our site had 30 amp hook ups and the water pressure was about 40 psi. It’s nestled in between to mountains, so it was a little place for our youngest to hike. We really enjoyed it here and will for sure be back.

Great for all skill levels!

This was my first time at this spot and I will definitely be coming back! I was wary because of the price but it exceeded my expectations. Very easy to find and the staff were very helpful. I slept in a truck tent and when it started to snow they offered to move me to a warmer spot just in case. Spots were very roomy (I stayed in Piney Oaks #9).

The trail around the lake was very nice, short but hilly so a good morning walk. It rained the first evening which led to some pretty little waterfalls the next day. A quiet campground with plenty of amenities. The bathrooms were heated which was a nice touch since it snowed the other two days I was there. Everyone I saw were very friendly (as were their pets).

I went during late March and will definitely go again when it’s warmer to enjoy swimming in the lake!

Amazing home base camping!

The campsites are great and spaced out nice! Most sites have small pea gravel and are very clean. Bath house is open but no showers are at of March. Three great trails that you can do right from the campgrounds. Miles more within a few minutes drive

Beautiful Setting

I camp here annually with my cousin. It’s a great campground if you don’t mind being in a more crowded setting. Aka less remote! Opt for the campgrounds towards the back for a little more privacy and immediate access to the nearby creek. Granted walking to the restroom is a little further. Fills up relatively quickly so would recommend booking in advance during peak seasons. Also be sure to bring your own wood or purchase from local homeowners. No picking up allowed.