The best EQUESTRIAN camping near

LIMITED TIME OFFER Try Pro Free for 3 Months

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Plum Camping Reviews
Lots of trees and water, very calming

Park is nice with lots of trees and water. Small rental cabins surround the park. Owners are very nice and very helpful with tips and suggestions for the RV, and local eateries. We stayed one night on our way south from Indy. We wanted to visit The Ark and The Creation Museum, but cannot do both in one day. I deducted a star from overall and value rating only due to no direct sewer connection. Although they do have a dump station, I prefer to have a direct hook-up. Sites are pretty level, although we did have to unhook to keep truck from sticking out into road. SInce the park wasn't full, the owners let us park our truck in site next to us. We stayed in our 38' travel trailer with our Ford F250 truck.

Nice things come in small packages !

My wife and I have been camping for years. We decided to come to Kentucky to visit the Ark and the Creation Museum. I found this little campground by joining The Dyrt. Three springs, was the best choice this summer. Very friendly staff and delivered my firewood next to the fire pit. Loaned me an electric cord extension and it was a delight to stay there.

Hidden Gem

We've stayed at Twin Knobs twice now in our popup camper. First time was at F26, second was at F24. We love how the outer loop sites have such quick access to the water.

Both sites are shaded very well and the sites themselves are huge. We could see other campers through the trees but we felt pretty well secluded.

Each site has several tall poles with hooks for trash bags/food storage. as well each site has a large fire pit with flip-over grill for cooking.

The firewood bundles are a bit pricey ($7) at the checkin shack, but I'm glad they are available. we purchased at least 7 bundles to have a pretty much constant fire through the day and night.

The bathrooms are clean and easily accessible. There was a bit of an overflow issue our first day on site but it was resolved in less than an hour by the loop hosts.

Pop's bbq was a hit both nights we were there. We ordered carryout (covid) and ate at camp on the provided picnic tables. The Dollar General is also adequately stocked.

All in all a fantastic visit which we will repeat ASAP. it's too bad they close at the end of October. I bet winter camping there would be a treat.

Cheers,

Chris

Tarr Ridge

The Tarr Ridge parking area is located on highway 77 on Tarr ridge rd in the red river gorge. Here are the coordinates for the parking lot. 37.85293, -83.64191 Just type it in your gps system and it will take you straight there! From the parking lot I suggest using the ALL TRAILS app to stay on the right trail. Here are the coordinates for the lookout at Tarr Ridge 37.83655, -83.63935.

The hike in is around 2 miles and pretty flat for the most part. It’s totally worth it once you see the view!

Don’t forget to stop at the Shell gas station in Slade Ky to get your parking permit. Enjoy!

Star Gap Arch

Star Gap Arch at the Red River Gorge has two designated campsites on the trail, to the arch. We camped in the closest spot to the arch which is about 250 ft away.

This is a dispersed camping area. So bring EVERYTHING you need!

From the parking lot of the Auxier Ridge Trailhead, Star Gap is a 1.25 mi easy hike with some small obstacles along the way.

Bring your camera with, you’re going to want to take some family pics. Enjoy the view!! ✌🏻

First time here.

Sept camping and cooler weather is what we enjoy. Not only did we like the shady campsites but the neatness of the whole area. Of all the good things about the campground. I like the friendly personnels the best.

The Veranda

This campsite is on the Veranda trail and is roughly 2 miles out at the RRG. Dispersed camping so bring everything you need! It’s a challenging hike so pack light. Make sure you walk the trail to the very end the view is amazing :)

Favorite Campground

This is our all time favorite campground. Spots are secluded and you feel like you really are out camping in the middle of the woods (unlike lots of campgrounds that are just concrete pads jammed together). Shower houses are super clean and well kept. The lake is absolutely beautiful and great for kayaking. Also highly recommend Pops if you’re looking for a good place to eat! Twin Knobs has ruined us and given us high expectations for other campgrounds.

Mediocre

Campground is nothing special but was okay. Owners were very friendly and came by to make sure our fire wood was burning nicely (which it was!). No swimming pool, but it was advertised that the pool was closed. If the owners make some improvements it has potential to be a nice campground.

Easy access to the Lake

Great place to stay if your looking to access the lake quicker and if you need to run out to get supplies. But since I've stayed at Zilpo as well, I'm a little biased on this review. But overall a good place to camp and take the kids and lots of access to boat ramps and a close marina. The shore on the twin knobs are seem to be more steep and rocky, as apposed to Zilpo(which are more of a sandy bank). So if you bank fish, Zilpo.Boat fishing twin knobs.