Kohatk , ARIZONA

Most Recent Kohatk Camping Reviews
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CANCEL!!!

I booked a week stay at this resort. They charged my credit card the usual one night stay, until check in. NO NOT BOOK at this resort IF there is the slightest chance that you MAY HAVE TO CANCEL! Our dates were Jan.13-19. On the 10th, I called and spoke with Ashley, and informed her that we had to cancel does to an emergency. She informed me that she would cancel the reservation and REFUND me the one night charge….AND send me an email for my records. On the next day,the 11th, STILL within the 48 hour cancellation policy, I had received NO EMAIL. I called back and spoke with Diana, informed her about my call to Ashley the day before. Diana said she would cancel the charge and send e an email. NONE. On the 12th, I called THREE times and reached the answering service. I left messages. I called my credit card company, explained what was happening, and opened a FRAUD case. On the 13th, I saw that the Casa Grande Resort, CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD AGAIN on Jan. 12th! I called the credit card company, reported the second charge as FRAUD. I have contacted this resort THREE more times, and my call goes straight to voice mail. They DO NOT call you back as they state. I have RV'd all over America for years, and have NEVER had such a bBAD experience in cancelling a booking. DO NO STAY HERE, if there is any chance that you may have to cancel. Completely NON PROFESSIONAL STAFF at this place!

Probably Not

CAVEAT: As a woman traveling alone, I didn't feel comfortable stopping to ask questions here, much less stay, but your experience and comfort level may differ.

Gila Bend is a charming little bump in the road between Phoenix and San Diego. It has a very Mexican feel to it, with souvenir shops and a good old-fashioned carneceria, and is also home to the Space Age Restaurant, which some consider a must-visit.

This particular RV park, however, would probably not be your first choice of places to stay, even though the other cheap choices here would be the parking lots at Pilot (east end) or Love's (west end). Someone has tried to liven up the fence line with new bougainvillea plants, but in general the place looks rundown/slumlike, and is mostly fixed-in-place mobile homes, not RV spaces. There are one or two places where mobile homes have just been left to decay where they sit, and there was a large trailerload of debris outside the office that looked like it had been there for quite a while. Given that the beautiful and pristine Painted Rock BLM park is only 30 minutes down the road and about a fifth to a third the cost, I'd give this one a miss.

Cactus forest indeed

Really cool place tucked away felt like a cactus tunnel and you can't beat free. Cell service was spotty to non existent.

Beautiful Saguaros!

Relatively easy access from main road for most any vehicle, just take it slow and watch for ruts, especially after a rain.

There are many cool places to pull off and camp, but stay on established open spaces, we saw little baby things trying to grow all over the place so don’t squash them. We arrived on a Wednesday, and it was peaceful and quiet and serene until that Friday, when a group of guffawing dude-bros took up camp across the road from us. Voices carry here, especially this type of voice. The ranger drove down Pipeline Rd in a truck to check on things several times, something I always appreciate.

You can hear road noise the closer you are to the main road (W Avra Valley Rd), especially trucks driving to and from the quarry, which can sound like thunder. Beautiful landscape, saguaros everywhere, beautiful sunrise and sunset, very peaceful despite the truck noise. If we had a rig that could make it in further we would have camped further away from the road to minimize the noise. Pretty regular traffic going in and out on Pipeline Rd, campers and ATVers.

Free range cattle also in the area.

Good verizon and AT&T service.

Good stay

This is an extremely well-maintained park. Campsites are nice sized and well spaced with some shrubs and trees. Bathrooms and showers were spotless. Beautiful pool. Management is very accommodating and efficient. Covid safe.
I am not sure why it was listed within Good Sam but we were unable to get a good Sam discount. 47.50 is a bit more than we are used to paying as full time traveling RVers.

Adults only?

My only advice here is that it’s not fun for dogs. (And maybe not fun for young kids either?) It’s incredibly prickly everywhere. Imagine that, prickly in the cactus forest? You’ll want to avoid wearing sandals too. (I found myself with a piece of a cactus stuck to my foot and then when trying to remove it I got my hand stuck to the cactus that was stuck to my foot. Tools were required. Pain, lots of pain.) Seriously, NO SANDALS. But! PROS: the saguaro cactus are huge and impressive. We really enjoyed driving through this area at sunset and seeing all the iconic cactus. But then our overnight of camping on this random BLM land was just hours of dodging prickles. It’s quite an interesting place, but fair warning, is prickly. Act accordingly.

Convenient blm free dispersed camping

Free BLM dispersed camping between Why AZ and Organ Pipe Nat Monument. Turnoff is just past mp #55 heading south from Why, right turn off hwy just past the concrete bridge over gunsight wash. Entrance is a bit back to right over a cattleguard. Hwy road noise can be an issue so the farther west into the area the less road noise. Cell service for Verizon and Tmobile was 4 bars lte..however ATT was nothing. Why AZ has gas, ice, restrooms. Filtered water is across hwy at community center kiosk..five gals $1. Note that the Border Patrol has a checkpoint at mp 57.5 just before Organ Pipe boundary.

Dirt Bike Rider's Dream!

Set in the Sonoran Desert South East of Phoenix, AZ South of Interstate 8 are acres and acres of privately owned motocross tracks. Motoland allows overnight camping, mostly dry camping.

Nice and clean large open spaces for RV

This is a very nice place for FREE camping on BLM land. Lots of room and it does go farther back from the highway. Just be careful of some areas may wash out when it rains. A little difficult to find, but look at your odometer when leaving Aho, it will be 13 miles on your right going south. A few miles further you will be at the Organ Pipe National Park. Some very nice scenic drives there.

Nice place, convenient to shopping, propane etc.

Full hookups, lots of open spaces at this time, you'll come on down. Weather is great, warm days, cool nights. Well in December anyways. Its a nice quiet campground, there is some traffic noise, but otherwise a nice spot, very convenient to about any type shopping you could need. Great place to stop in and restock, recharge, plus relax a little. Laundry, game room, fitness center, two pools, great showers. About 1/2 way between Phoenix and Tucson.