the dyrt
Prescott National Forest, ARIZONA
Most Recent Prescott National Forest Camping Reviews
Oasis in Prescott

Great place. Make reservations. Excellent staff..

Not what we hoped for

This place has great reviews and sounds wonderful, but in person it was not what we expected. The roads on the property are full of potholes. There are overhanging branches in most spots that can damage your awning. The layout is disorganized and you may or may not get a nice spot. The bathrooms are very smelly, they smell like vault toilets even though they flush. The grounds are not maintained well. This place must have been gorgeous at one time but it needs a good clean up. This might be a good place if you are a) in a tent or pop up b) right on the creek c) have very young kids who would enjoy the creek. For older kids and adults who want a pleasant experience in nature, this is not the place. It's also a long drive from Sedona and not much to offer in the nearby town.

Great little campground on the 305 trail

Great campground with the Homestead trail running through it. You can hike or bike all day or kayak on Lynx Lake. The sites are varying sizes so read the description and look on the map if you're bringing an RV. Bring your own shade as many spots get full fun. This campground is close to town and a great spot for families.

Lovely campground close to town

This is a very pretty campground with easy access to the town of Prescott. Hiking and biking trails run right through the campground. Many sites have big boulders that kids love to play on. There is some road noise but this is one of our favorite campgrounds. I've camped there in spring, summer and fall.

Perfect for staying close to Sedona w/o the crowds

This is a dispersed camping are so no facilities. It's pretty rock so 4x4 is highly encouraged. It's really quiet except the occasional hunting activity. You can find plenty of spots right off the road or walk in a little farther. You'll be able to pull your truck in no problem and some spaces are large and flat enough for RVs and campers. Sedona should be on your list of must-sees if you're a visitor to Arizona. Take a jeep or helicopter tour! Visit Slide Rock when it's warm enough out to swim. Airport lookout and the vortex offer great photo ops at sunset.

Great for Families!

Okay, so the sites aren't primitive but they're big enough, beautiful, and usually right on the creek. Cabins are also an option. This is a privately owned campground. They have plenty of activities for the kids as if being right on Oak Creek isn't enough and are very accommodating. Ask to use one of the wheelbarrows to bring down your firewood. Restrooms and showers are available but if you're hoping for a shower, just know the early bird gets the worm!

You're not there for the camping

If the sites had a little more privacy, I'd give five stars. Whenever I take my family, I remind myself I'm not there for the actual tent camping, I'm there for everything else the state park offers. There are about eight small cabins as well. This park offers a much needed break from the Arizona heat in the spring and summer months. The "lakes" are really more like ponds but plenty large enough to fish in as is the Verde River, running through the park. Make sure to go down and take a dip during the warm seasons. They've recently improved the playground for young ones and offer horseback riding as well. Facilities are always clean. If you're tired of camping food, drive down the road to Cottonwood and be sure to visit Larry's Antiques (if you're into that of course).

Desert Oasis

You can camp right on the shore at this lake or choose a designated camp site but know you won’t have any privacy. This is generally a very popular place so avoid in peak season if you’re looking for solitude. Boat rentals are available and you’ll have several docking options. Take one of the hiking trails offering gorgeous views of desert landscape and blue lake water. You’ll also usually spot a few wild burros (donkeys). Great recreation lake.

Great Fall Getaway

We wanted one last tent camping trip before it got to cold and chose a quick trip up to Camp Verde. (We’re from Phoenix) It was a short hour and a half drive up the 17. Clear Creek Campground is about a 10 min drive passed Camp Verde, so if you forget any supplies it’s a quick trip into town. The Campground itself is pretty wide open, which is not my cup of tea normally but we found a cute spot that is right next to the exit. It’s great! It’s totally hidden and separated from the rest of the camp. Bathrooms were clean, plenty of water pumps and the host is super on top of things. We had issues with some other rude campers ,so beware. I have a feeling it’s an amateur campground, so if it’s summer and you want peace and quiet, this is not the place. Our timing was great Tue-Thur, Oct 9th thru the 12th. The Creek is just across the dirt road. It’s so peaceful and beautiful! Has a nice little trail that runs next to the creek.

Horse camp. No horse, no camping

We have stayed here 2 years in a row now. Very nice camp ground but it is dry camping. They have a high line and 1 pen at each site. We take portable panels also due to traveling with 2 horses. Take some way of hauling water to your camp site, there are several water Fawcett for filling but not close to all sites. Nice trail riding. Take note that if you don't have a horse with you, you will not be able to stay there.

River camping in Arizona

Another small roadside campground that hugs the side of the hill. Sites were small and on top of each other. The best sites (taken, of course) were set back next to the creek and swimming hole. They were also the biggest sites, but I don’t think they were group sites. Watch out for snakes, there were signs everywhere. Every site had a picnic table and fire pit, but a burn ban was in effect so you could not have a campfire. I thought the price for the sites was a bit steep considering how close they were to the road (literally right next to the road) and the lack of amenities- no hook ups for RV’s and only a fairly dirty pit toilet.

great place for hammock camping

I have gone out to Prescott national forest for some hammock camping many times and it has always been an amazing night! I have also gone tent camping out in Prescott and it is also great!

Really nice clean campground

Our family of 7 went camping with our neighbors who are a family of 6, needless to say we needed a lot of room. The only downside to these sites was that our tents were too big to fit on the tent pad! BUT….we got two sites next to each other and were able to eat and we put the tents else where and made one big camp site and it was great! The grounds are impeccably clean!!! The bathroom and shower were warm and clean and there was even a deep sink at the back of the bathrooms! There was also a community spigot in the tent area so that you didn’t have to go all the way to the bathroom! We did a short day hike and the trails were kept nicely as well!

Beautiful views

We arrived at this campground at night. It wasn’t hard to find and we went camping in August. The weather wasn’t too hot but not too cold either. Beware of the bugs at night!!! There are a ton of moths and other flying bugs that will totally swarm you at this campground. Beware of tarantulas walking through the camp ground.

Beautiful campground

Campground is extremely clean, bathrooms were very nice. Family was able to escape the heat of Phoenix without traveling very far. It was nice to take a little trip into Jerome and see such a unique town built right into the mountain.

Great Group Camp Ground Area

It hasThis is another great group camp ground area. I have camped as well as particpated in events hosted here at this campground. It has beautiful cabins and a large eating space.

Great Cabin for Church Camp

My church took my youth group from my church to this campground plenty of times, and it is a great place to hold groups from 5-30. Multiple cabins, various sizes.

Beautiful forest area

I have camped out here in various locations, and it is absoluetly beautiful. I love to hammock camp, and that is what I normally do when I go camping.

Good Hike

This is a good hike. It has some great views of Prescott and the surrounding area. I didn't get any pictures while on the hike itself, but I got some on Senator Highway.

Nice and plenty of space

Had a blast driving up to Prescott for the weekend with friends, and we got lucky that we got to have a fire since Prescott has had a lot of fire problems.

Beautiful Views

Great little place to camp near Phoenix. The lake is beautiful and I recommend taking the Roadrunner hike -- even easy for kids!

Lots of space for a large group!

This is such a great campground for a big group! They have level gravel pads for tons of tents, and a covered pavilion with huge stone picnic tables that could seat dozens.

My loss of star comes from the vault toilets. They are stinky and have lots of flies and bugs living in there. Wishing they had flush toilets at this campsite.

I also really love the huge fire pit they have set up for the groups.

Clean, cheap, close to town

Constellation Park campground is a clean campground located in a Sandy area near the town of Wickenburg. Fee is $8 a night at a self pay station. There is trash service and there is water across the street at the horse trough by the rodeo grounds. You can fill jugs, but there is not room to fill a trailer. People with horses are given preference in the spaces with corrals. There is no host. Sites are large, widely spaces with plenty of desert shade trees. Cell service is good. Just a mile to McDonalds. Don't try to stay here when the rodeo is scheduled.

quiet family friendly getaway in he AZ high country

We stayed in a pop up camper for a long weekend. The site has electric (30 amp & 15 amp) and water hookups. Bathroom and shower facilities are super clean and work well. The campground in located in Cottonwood, AZ but far enough removed that you don't feel like you are in the city. For those of you that want to adventure there are numerous hikes and the Verde River allows several places to kayak. A host of small towns are within a half hour drive including Sedona, Jerome and Prescott. We will be going back for sure!

Eagle Ridge Group Campground, Prescott, AZ

Eagle Ridge Group Campground is located within walking distance of Lynx Lake Recreation Area. At the lake, there is no swimming, but you may fish and use water craft. North Shore and South Shore areas each require a $5 per vehicle day use fee, but it is free to walk in.

There are two group sites: Osprey can accommodate 25-75 people; Peregrine can accommodate 15-25. There are covered picnic table areas, fire rings, areas for tents, vault restrooms, water on taps. Be sure to make a reservation for one or both sites, depending on your group's size.

Lynx Campground, Prescott, AZ

Very busy and popular US Forest Service campground, conveniently located near Prescott and Prescott Valley, AZ. All sites are reserved, no first come first serve (only open if there's no reservation). A bit lower in elevation than nearby Hilltop Campground, with less tall pines. Clean sites, picnic tables, fire rings, water on taps, and cell service. Nearby Lynx Lake is a very popular day use recreation area. Shopping and restaurants are abundant and all within a few miles.

Hilltop Campground, Prescott, AZ

US Forest Service campground, conveniently located near Prescott and Prescott Valley, AZ. Only Loop A is first come, first serve. Hosts are very busy in their golf carts, keeping their eye on everything and everyone. Restrooms are vault, but super smelly and disgusting (at least the one by our site #4). Sites are tidy, with picnic tables and fire rings. Campground has water on taps, and there is cell service. Nearby Lynx Lake is a very popular day use recreation area. Shopping and restaurants are abundant and all within a few miles.

Revamping in progress

The campground is being totally overhauled. It looks great so far and the facilities are very clean and nice. there is a nice big pool. the major thing missing are trees for shade and some privacy. there are only a few spots with nice big trees, all other sites have nothing. Which is OK in the Arizona winter, but not when it is still hot.

We were here when it as really slow, not sure what it will like when the campground is full.

Away in the Pines

At the right time of the year this is a great spot. Week days are better than weekends. It's a clean area but occasionally you will find remains from the "bad camper." If you find the right spot it can be very peaceful and quiet.

Clean, family friendly and close to Watson lake.

My cousin and I stayed for two nights on a whim weekend and she could believe how I found this place! We couldn’t get over the views and how perfect the campsite suited our needs. It was nice to have clean showers and bathrooms. This is a great place for families because it’s quite and friendly. The hike we took near by allowed us to be close if it got too hot yet still explore in peace.