Prescott National Forest, ARIZONA

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Prescott National Forest Camping Reviews
Great times...great campground

I’ll start by saying this was my first time actually camping the lake, our spot (Desert Tortoise site 173) was awesome. Granted our camper parking spot was definitely on a pretty steep incline but that only made for even more amazing views of the lake.

We got in like at 8 on our first night but everything was well marked and we had no issues finding our site. When we finally got set up we had an incredible sky full of stars and a nice fire. This led into an amazing sunrise in the morning.

That morning we met the brand new campground hosts who were super nice and full of info for us since it was our first time out. We then saw the restrooms that were next to us had not only flushable toilets, but showers. They were super clean and tidy. Needless to say we had a great time even in some colder evening temps.

Things I’d recommend brining or doing : A boat - even if it’s an inflatable one but you have to get on the water.

Walking shoes - there are tons of walking and hiking trails nearby

Lunch or dinner at Dillons on the Bayou - this is an awesome full restaurant and bar on the other side of the lake but it is a definitely must do when you’re here.

Cottonwood, AZ

Helpful staff, clean rest rooms and laundry. Our site was near the river with full hook ups. Down side: on state highway, some noise. We don’t tow a car so we use bikes and walking. Both seemed dicey with cars moving fast close by. Cottonwood is a fun place about four miles away.

Slide Rock State Park in Oak Creek Canyon

This park & campground is part of Slide Rock State Park in Oak Creek Canyon, which is in Sedona, AZ.  My friend & I stayed at the Slide Rock Lodge down the road & we ate our meals here before & after hiking the Oak Creek in the Canyon.  We took some great photos of the structures along the top ridge & saw what looked like an ancient Native American settlement.

It was a beautiful day & a wicked awesome river hike!  This hiking trip was actually in May 2007 but I remember it like it was yesterday.  It made a huge impression on me, especially since we hiked the Virgin River & Orderville Canyon in Zion National Park the next day.

I will upload photos later.

Beautiful location

Just next to the stream, perfectly secluded with decent bathrooms. However don’t recommend going in the winter, there was an unexpected snowstorm and our tent collapsed, our mistake!

Nice Campgrounds.

Nice place in the National Forrest.

Great site

We really like camping here. It’s a short distance from home and beautiful lake view spots. We stayed in 124. The spot is really level and easy to back into. The fire pit is in a good spot as some of the others are terrible placement. Each have a concrete table and a shade covering over each table. The bathrooms with running water are just a few spots up. Fishing was not good from shore.

Best spot on the creek

This campground is beautiful. We checked in with the camp host, who was very kind and helpful, and set up. The creek running by the campsites is amazing. The campground also sells firewood if you happen to forget it. Vault toilets were very clean. We will definitely stay again.

Cactus Forest!

Free. Wide open space, an abandoned air strip. Really cool cactus variations all around, you can hear coyotes. And there are wild burros in the area you can def hear them and during the week it's likely you will see them! It is popular for ATVs and such, so it can get a bit noisy, and it apparently gets pretty packed over the weekend. But empty during the week. About 30 minutes away from town. Though there are a few paid campsites in the area. Not sure what the stay limit is, probably 14 days. All the cacti so close is a bit hazardous for pets and small children, my dog already got spines in her paws.

Free & Quiet

Snow when we arrived at night, but there were a few RVs and campers just north of the exit and off the road. You could head back further and get quieter.

Great place

Little dusty and noisy but plenty of room to camp and the trails are great!