Saguaro National Park, ARIZONA
Camping Arizona Saguaro National Park
Most Recent Saguaro National Park Camping Reviews
Off the grid

While this exact campsite was closed at the time, driving up the road across the street and into the mountains gives you the opportunity to camp in the wilderness. Finding a good little spot is not difficult, and you’ll get an amazing view of the city lights at night, or the sunrise in the morning. Very close to Summerhaven to grab some coffee in the morning as well

An amazing and beautiful place to camp.

This is a large campground that is great for Tents, Vans, and RVs. The roads getting in are amazing and the scenery is beautiful. I come from a area that is green nearly year round, lots of trees and thick forest. Water is plentiful as well as swamps. This place is in stark contrast to where I call home but is still amazingly beautiful. I had never seen the massive Saguaro Cactus and was sure to be a highlight of this trip. The area did not disappoint at all.

We arrived in weather that was sunny and clear with a temperature of 102 degrees. While that sounds incredibly hot, it should not scare you off. The humid 90 degree weather back We arrived in weather that was sunny and clear with a temperature of 102 degrees. While that sounds incredibly hot, it should not scare you off. The humid 90 degree weather back home is much harsher than the very dry 102 we arrived in. The camp ground was wonderful and"closed" for the summer. This means that while you are able to camp there, the office is not maned. Simply deposit your payment into an envelop and drop it into the box at the office and you are good to go.

The campsites are great. They have a sandy peat gravel which is surprisingly comfortable under a tent and sleeping bag. If you are using a mattress in your tent, then you really have nothing to worry about. The temperature at the time we hit the sack was still high, so we started on top of our sleeping bags. Temperatures however did drop to 64 degrees and I woke up in my bag. The campground also have Bathrooms, but they do not have showers. That bathrooms can be hot and humid but still serve their purpose. I believe all the sites have tables was great for us.

The morning was amazing and after a quick breakfast, a bike ride was in order. There are a number of trails in the area and many of them are great. Some have steps for Hikers and are not friendly for Mountain Bikers. The trails do not have good markings but are fairly easy to follow with a GPS map. I say have fun.

Very friendly and accommodating hosts!

The campground hosts were awesome and hospitable. I have a thing about clean bathrooms and these were VERY clean!  It was just an overnight stay, but we will definitely be back!

Scenic

This place was really pretty and a lot of critters running around to watch. Also a great spot for birdwatchers. The campground itself was well kept. I did not care for how close together most of the sites were and lack of parking. Be sure to get here early because sites fill up quick!

One of the best

Well maintained beautiful sites. Our group had site 4 and 5. Which had several spots to camp. Ramada had water, electricity, grills and fire pits nearby. Great time.

High Desert

Dry camping and good hiking. Cheap stay and deposit on honor system.

Beautiful and scenic.

Worth the visit. Very picturesque

Peaceful & Serene!!!!!

We got there early Friday morning, there were Wild Turkeys passing through the area. Way cool!!! Most spots are roomy and Shaded, temps were really nice for Arizona in June, due to the elevation. Met a few campers that had been staying there since Wednesday, and they were really nice people. Highly recommend going here..

Great Escape

Joined a friend for a weekend in the RV park. It was dark when I arrived and can only see the outlines of mountains from the moonlight. Awoke to absolute beauty! Saguaros sprinkled throughout the grounds. The grounds are well kept as well as restrooms. It was my friends RV so I don’t know much about the reservation procedures but had electric hookup and maybe water. The campgrounds are tucked away in the mountain and a bit of a drive into Tucson but the site is so worth the remoteness. Great location to unwind and recharge. Short distance from Desert Museum.

Great place to stay!

Wonderfull, quiet RV and MH park located within easy walking to several stores and community park.  Like a little oasis set back from the main road in the center of the city.  Call for nightly, weekly or monthly 30 or 50 amp RV and dry storage rates  Has night security and cameras.

Place to stay in gunfighters town

Great place great staff new pool no dust great location easy access just north of town about a mile stayed three weeks last time will be staying again in 2020 really enjoyed our last time only place for us in that area 👍

Amazing views

So I had lunch here and forgot to take a photo of the unbelieveable views. The two little sites are clean and each have an old wooden picnic table setup there are for sure toilets. Would be a prefect little spot to watch the stars.

A great little spot

This is small campground around a small fishing lake. There are about 20 camp spots, but only half were taken up. The lake is 30 some miles up well maintained dirt road. The campsite its self is clean and well maintained. The bathrooms were the cleanest vault toilets I've ever seen. The camp host, Troy, was a nice guy happy to chat or give hiking suggestions.

Quiet, Clean.

My family and I have taken our travel trailer here several times. Bathrooms and showers are clean. You can visit the caverns, hike and bike ride. If you forget something Walmart is one exit over.

Whatever your needs

Lazydays offers just about anything you want, big small, covered, uncovered, just name it. The sites are well set up with a table and benches and they are clean. This was a shakedown for us in a smaller RV than we were used to. The campgrounds were well kept and there was a good restaurant in the main building, open to offer alternatives to your bar b-q.

🐍

Watch out for rattle snakes! Saw one right next to my fire pit.

Great Mountainside Campsite

We have stayed here a couple of times on trips to the West Coast. The park is beautiful at the foot is the mountains overlooking Tucson. The elevation is fairly high up. So, the temps are quite moderate compared to Tucson. They have a mix of reservation and non reservation sites all ranges from large RVs to tent camper. Great showers and restrooms and good roadways all the way into the sites. Tucson is just minutes always and the State Park Entrance is near a residential neighborhood. The mountains are beautiful in the morning. I would highly recommend this site if you are wanting to camp near Tucson.

Not what I expected but it worked out

Nice little park. Staff was great. Sites are too close together for my liking but lots of trails off the park. Dropped in on Memorial Day weekend, sites were mostly full (1 site left) but the neighbors had little dogs and we have 2 big German Shepherds so that wasn’t going to work so we asked if we could stay in the equestrian area since there was only one person in there & they agreed. It was PERFECT for us. Not sure we’ll stay again if we can’t use that area!

Desert Camping with Close City Access

Great stop in an AZ state park within minutes of civilization at Tucson. Plenty of hiking trails nearby, great campsite amenities. Showers, clean bathrooms, water at every campsite.

Showed up on a Monday afternoon with no reservation and picked up a non-electric site no problem. $20 fee or $30 with electric hookup.

Would definitely stay here again.

Gilbert Ray Campground , May, 2019

May, 2019 we visited Saguaro National Park near Tucson AZ. We had planned to hike into the park at one of their few campgrounds but the office informed us that there was a controlled burn and recommended we not stay in the park and suggested Gilbert Ray as a good option. Gilbert Ray Campground is a great location for visiting the National Park. We arrived to find the office closed for the summer, so self serve option was available, at 10.00 per night for tent camping you can’t beat the price. The bathrooms were clean and as an added plus they have a dishwashing station. We stayed in the A loop. There are no showers and the campsite it all gravel making it next to impossible to put a tent stake in. The sites are fairly close together, for example, I could hear our neighbor unzip his tent. All sites have picnic tables. Cell service is good.

Cute campground right on the edge of town

Catalina State Park was beautiful in a very unique way. The campground sits at the base of the Catalina mountains and it made for gorgeous views. The landscape is pretty standard desert. There was a lot of plant life but not a lot of green. There are a ton of ants and other desert crawlies (just be prepared). Most of the spots are not well shaded so I don't think this is a very good summertime campground unless you are in an air conditioned camper of some sort. Some of the sites do have electric and water which is a nice perk. The campground is literally right on the edge of town. The road you take to get into the park is at a stop light intersection with a shopping plaza on the other side. Even with the close proximity tot he highway and town I didn't notice any unwanted noise.

The bathrooms were really well kept and had showers that even in the cold of November were putting out hot water. There are a ton of neat little hiking trails through the park (and quite a few geocaches). I could totally see this being a fun place to take pictures just because of the views. If you are looking for a large group event they had some facilities that could accommodate. My biggest dislike about this campground is they do not allow wood fires at all. It makes sense because EVERYTHING there is super dry but with the cool night temperatures (even when it was hot mid day) you couldn't warm up with a roaring fire. As a workaround you can use the fake logs in the BBQ pit (but they didn't seem to put off enough heat for us) and it looked pretty silly having 5 people standing around a BBQ pit trying to warm up!

Gilbert Ray Campground , May, 2019

Gated rv park downtown Tucson

I stayed for a week in a pull-thru with full hookups. The park is all concrete and gated, which I appreciated in an urban setting. There's a grocery store across the street and only a 5 min drive to downtown Tucson.

Very clean

This is by far the cleanest campground I’ve ever seen. The park rangers were very helpful. The bathrooms were spotless and the showers are huge and clean better then the ones I have at home. Everyone was very friendly and my 2 dogs loved it to stayed 5 days can’t wait to go back!

Good spot, good cell (Verizon), road noise, traffic lights

Good spot, easy access to Tucson area. The pinpoint and some reviews have it off snyner hill road, I'm not sure that area is legal to camp but I would not recommend it at all, a lot of trash dumped there and clearly used for target practice. The actual blm camping area is marked on Google maps as blm camp and in the triangle of San juaquin, old ajo hwy and ajo hwy. You will see cars/campers and signs with the camping rules noted, its clearly marked. Many low shrubs and trees so while sites are close they can feel separated. There is a gun range nearby that you can hear and pretty sure we also heard gun fire in that area off snyder hill road that I mentioned above.

Would stay here again, you may hear other campers (we had people playing music loudly but they stopped at 10pm) traffic noice isn't bad over night but there is a traffic light so you might was ear plugs and a sleep mask

Easy Access to Patagonia

Just a few miles up Harshaw Rd. (just outside of the adorable village of Patagonia), you will find a variety of free camping options with no services, just National Forest land available to both RVers and tent campers.  There are streams running throughout the area, but the water simply isn’t drinkable even with filtering and leaves a sticky white mineral residue on everything it touches; thank goodness there is a reverse osmosis filling machine in the village of Patagonia, right in front of the bakery.  The backroads in this area are great for hiking or mountain biking, you can choose from relatively flat to crazy steep with amazing views.

The village of Patagonia is colorful and fun, and has a nice market with a great produce selection for its size, a small bakery, a launderette, a gas station, and a few cleverly named restaurants. Also, be sure to check out the Paton Center for Hummingbirds (a birdwatcher’s paradise) -- it’s free! The locals are super friendly.

Note: You will see Border Patrol both hanging out in hidden spots and zooming down the roads through this area, appearing to be in hot pursuit.  But we never saw a single “situation” that warranted their presence.

Ranger Review: Wenzel Camp Quilt at Catalina State Park

Campground Review

Catalina State Park is just a bit outside of Tucson Arizona, and more importantly, Saguaro National Park.  We used this State Park as a jumping-off point for our trip to Saguaro and it was a pretty good location for that.

Oro Valley is a modern area with tons of shopping and dining options right outside the park.  This was very convenient for us to pick up McDonalds or grab something we forgot from the store.

The Park itself is stunning.  Right up against the mountains, the views are gorgeous, especially at sunset.  We were in campsite #A-23, which was AMAZING. Perfect for tent camping, the space is large and flat.  You could easily fit several tents in this site.

We drove around campgrounds A and B and found the sites to be much more spaced out in A.  Most of the sites were occupied by RVs, which made for a very quiet and non-stressful night!

Our site had electric hook ups and a water faucet.  Also a BBQ grill and picnic table are provided. Wood fires are NOT permitted in the park.

Overall we LOVED this place.  We will for sure return in the near future!

The Park also has a lot of amazing trails, including a very short hike to see Hohokam ruins which were so cool to see!!  The kids loved this hike and the views were amazing.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time - at Catalina State Park we had the opportunity to try out the Wenzel Camp Quilt (or 2!).  These quilts are so great! Our old camp blanket had to be carefully folded in a particular way and then zipped up. These quilts come with stuff bags and you can just stuff the quilt in them when you are done!  I now keep these in the car with me at all time, because you never know when you need a picnic blanket, or something to keep you warm!

For us, it is a no-brainer to just toss one or two of these in with your camping gear.  Here in Arizona, the temperature drops fast once the sun goes down. Although it was over 100F during the day, it was still FREEZING cold in our tent at night.  We were so grateful to have these quilts to snuggle up and keep us warm!

Campground Video

BLUEBONNET RV RESORT, MISSION, TEXAS

A LOVELY RV RESORT IN A LOVLEY SETTING. VERY FRIENDLY. CLEAN & AND P ET FRIENDLY. THE JAM SESSIONS THAT ARE HELD ON THURS IS THE COUNTRY JAM HOSTED BY A VERY SWEET MAN, CHUCK, & ON SUNDAY IS THE GOSPEL JAM HOSTED BY, DWIGHT, A VERY CHRISTIAN MAN. THE MUSIC BOTH NIGHTS ARE AWESOME…I cant think of a better place to spend the winter.

Gorgeous Hiking & Climbing Opps!

Various Oaks and Alligator Junipers abound at this cute little National Forest campground tucked in the Dragoon Mountains, another of Arizona’s beautiful “Islands in the Sky.”  Named for the late Apache leader, Chief Cochise, this campground sits at the base of a few absolutely gorgeous hiking trails and rock climbing areas.

Each site has a good amount of space but oddly a small amount of space for tents and RV’s longer than 24 feet won’t fit in most of the sites.  There is no privacy in between sites, but each site has good tree coverage (almost too much for our solar suitcase on an extension cord). Each site has a huge cement picnic table, fire ring, and grill and there are a couple composting toilets.  There was no drinking water available at the campground (the website says there is water), but there is a creek you can pull water from for filtering, so come prepared.

Important note:  If there is rain in the forecast, be aware that you may get stuck in this campground for a couple of days, as you have to cross numerous washes on the road to/from the campground. We were there for 3 days before it was safe to pull a small camper across the “death wash” that grew to 6 feet high and 20 feet wide during a 24-hour rain event!

Great spot with lots to do around the area

Just northwest of Tucson is this beautiful county campground, located a few miles from Saguaro National Park and the awesome Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum (a must see). Hiking and mountain biking trails are all over the area, with the Brown Mountain hike being our favorite as it’s accessible from the campground and has great views all around.

Each site is equipped with electric hookups and there are water spigots throughout the campground, in addition to running water in the clean bathrooms (no showers though) and a nice dishwashing sink.  The picnic tables ranged from normal-sized to very small and awkward, depending on the site. There is decent privacy in between most sites, as it is beautifully landscaped with native desert cacti, shrubs, and trees.

It’s important to note that this campground doesn’t take reservations, but if you show up by 8am and get in line, you will more than likely get a spot.  You can continue to add nights to your stay before 10am each morning, for up to 7 days total. They also don’t take credit cards, so come prepared with cash or a check.