Coconino National Forest Recreation, ARIZONA
Camping Arizona Coconino National Forest Recreation
Most Recent Coconino National Forest Recreation Camping Reviews
Great camping place!

This Area is nice for a nice weekend get away the area is 15 min away from the city! Is got open camping spots and there is good space between them! There is a shooting range near by! Definitely coming back!

Lots of dispersed camping

I didn't stay at the campground because I prefer to camp alone. There are lots of dispersed camping along the road leading up to the turnoff foot the lake. Coconino National Forest allows camping up to 300ft from the road. According to the rangers, bears are active in the area so it's important to follow the safety protocols. Spent the day on the lake which is well worth the extra drive to avoid the crowds at Woods Canyon. Found one spot with cell service where you turn off fr300 towards Knoll Lake.

Slide Rock

This is one of the several swimming holes we came across while working on a job over the summer in Sedona.

Slide rock is located 10-20 outside of Sedona and is a well know spot. We just came for a few hours and luckily it was later in the day when it wasn’t too busy. Free parking is available along the roadway. From there it’s only a short walk to the creek.

While it wasn’t busy when we were there, I have driven by many many times and seen the place packed. Any summer weekend and this place is so busy.

All around amazing

We came here looking for a swimming hole while working a job in Sedona over the summer. This is really everything that is great about Sedona. A short hike to oak creek revealed several swimming holes. There were also awesome cliff jumping spots. The best part about this, way less busy than slide rock.

Weather was perfect to catch amazing shots of the red rock. I highly recommend this spot!

Calm, clean, cool

Had a good time, campsites we’re clean. Toilets were clean. Overall great experience

I loved it up here. Except

I loved it up here during the monsoons and the week days. The weekends are rough with the ATV traffic hence alcohol in the evenings caused the drinks to walk up and down the main road fighting. My dogs barked and warned so camp was safe. Otherwise this is the place.

Great location

Felt just enough off the grid to enjoy nature, yet still close to everything. Slide rock state park is so fun to cool down in the water or hike around. There’s a lot of indie/ small shops nearby that are cute to walk around, especially when it’s too hot for hiking. Easy to drive into Sedona for gas, to grab a bite to eat, or to see the many different parks

A must

Absolutely stunning views. incredible calm lake to kayak on at sunset. Hiking through the rocks is easy to get lost, but going to the bottom of the dam for some rock climbing was definitely worth it

Beautiful little campground right on the creek

Right on oak creek with good entry to the creek, shaded, and good location from Sedona. A little close to the road, but the sound of the creek helps with that. Host was very friendly also. There was also yummy blackberries all around;)

Nice quiet campground

Nice private campsites, clean restrooms. If you like TV while camping there is no cable hookup.

This is our first time actually camping at a campsite, usually we just camp in the Kaibab forest down the road for free. The campgrounds are surrounded by trees next to the lake. Although camp is not right next to the lake you can see it from most campsites. Sites are decent size and not too close to each other compared to other campgrounds. The lake is beautiful with fishing and a boat ramp available. No showers but there are many clean bathrooms and drinking water available. In the town of Williams there are many things to do such as the Deer Farm and Bearizona that we have done many times. Definitely one of my new favorite places to camp!

Military campground in adjacent to a county park

My family and I stayed here in a 34’ travel trailer for one night in late July. To get to the campground, travel thru the county park and follow the signs to Luke AFB recreation area. The campground is part of a larger complex that includes a lodge, cabins, and yurts. All amenities are shared so we had access to a large playground, basketball and volleyball courts, the store, and the bathhouse. The county park itself has playgrounds, an amphitheater, bike trails, and an awesome disc golf course. At each site is a picnic table and a fire pit, with hookups for electric and water. Our site was huge, but others can be a bit tight. Adjacent to the campground is the fairgrounds, which is bordered by an unattractive chain fence. The pump-out station was backed up and unusable while we were there. I’d say the best aspects are the price and the convenience to Flagstaff which is only three miles away. We would stay again.

Great camping minutes from town

Had a great stay here with easy access for backing in my pop up camper. Paved spot for parking nice bathrooms and clean fire pits with decent space between sites. This place is a must is visiting Prescott. Host wasn’t the friendliest but still ok and a wild pack of javelinas came through the campsite ant night. Still had a great time and would recommend 👍

#mingusisamust

In one word views, views for miles some of the best I’ve seen in Arizona. The campground itself is nice so spots not as amazing as others and be prepared to always watch your step because some spots literally are on the side of a cliff. Still plenty of room to set up camp and not worry but 100ft from the cliff side is pretty amazing. Clean restrooms hosts seem to keep campsites and fire pits clean and leave you to yourselves. Close by is a hang glide launch pad and amazing views. Only negative is the road up is unpaved and rough 5-10mph for about 7-10 miles but definitely worth the trip. Electric was struck by lightning a few years back so no hookup but water and toilet and only $10 a night. Stop reading and go👍

Wooded

Awesome campground set in tall pines. Has bathrooms and drinking water but no showers which we knew in advance. We did a walk in site. We stayed in site 27 which was big enough for my large family tent and canopy plus we were able to park close to our site. We were walking distance to the lake which had plenty of shore fishing.

A favorite

This site is well kept and spacious. And the closest site to Water Wheel which is about ten miles away and Arizona’s best kept secret. I usually set up camp the afternoon before and get up early to make the drive to Water Wheel and get in a day hike. This place has extraordinary water falls and swimming holes. I have probably camped at Mesa Houston more than any other place in Arizona just so I can hike Water Wheel and have never had a negative experience. Payson is beautiful and this camp site is near amenities and great hiking spots.

Very clean

Nice campground. It is dry camp, no hookups, showers. Great view of the lake  depending on campsite. We had a nice time. The downside is you can’t make reservations, so arrive early. There always a possibility you may not get a spot. While a nice campground, we prefer the comfort of knowing we have a reservation, as vacations for us are limited. Dog friendly is a plus for us!

Beautiful but Busy

July 12-14, 2019. Campsite 61. Spacious, flat and big groovy trees all around. We shared the campsite next to us (#59) with family so maybe it seemed even more comfortable. It was just a short skip down to Oak Creek. The campground itself seemed spacious as well (I can’t speak for the Cabin and RV areas). There were plenty of sites on the creek, and others just off it. The grounds are beautiful and can be quite relaxing but there was a lot of traffic as 90 plus other groups came in on the same day!!! It was to expected as Lo Lo Mai is beautiful and therefore popular and it was prime summertime weekend. Overall, I thought the place was big enough to accommodate everybody, and everyone was respectful and happy. It was probably the most I’ve ever spent on a campsite, but I’ve also never camped at a site with a pool, hot tub, basketball court, horseshoe pit and other amenities.

Babbling brook

The best part is the closeness to oak creek. Listening to the babbling brook at night is priceless. However, the sites are close to each other and you will be right off Hwy 89A so expect traffic noise until late evening. This campground’s reservations fill up in March/April for the coming summer so book early. I recommend spots 9-12.

Okay lakeside camping

The reviews I read of Ashurst had me pretty excited about enjoying a calm, quiet, lakeside campsite. We brought the canoe, arrived around 11:30 and found the place packed. There is a decent 5-7 mile stretch of washboard road to get there, you can get there in a car, its not like off-roading but it may rattle some bolts loose! The sites before the actual lake campgrounds were super packed, full of RVs with toys from off-road buggies to dirt bikes. We happened to catch a spot just as one family was beginning to leave. It was a short walk to the water, but not ON the water's edge and many of the sites were not, they were on the other side of the road you drive in on. There were all kinds of campers, from the casual tent and a few supplies kinda campers to people with three truck loads and a trailer of everything they could fit in a campsite and set up a full patio and grill.

Once you find a campsite the ranger comes by and you pay them for your spot, $19 for the site, $8 for an additional vehicle on the site, there are 5 of us. We ended up in spot 8, which actually had three good tent spots! The firepit is awesome, well surrounded by rocks and there is a solid picnic table included too. It's July and campfires are currently allowed. Site 8 is right by a row of port-a-potty's and bit drinkable water tank.

We canoed and fished in the evening, the people fishing next to us caught 5 fairly small fish from the shore and I never caught a thing. By the time we got back to the tent for the evening there was a fairly constant noise from surrounding campsites, from kids screaming to dogs barking, to the continuous hum of the offered buggies dusting the campsites as they drove in and out.

I think for a campsite as a whole it has everything you need, its pretty clean, the porte-potties weren't terrible and were stocked with TP, but it wasn't what I was looking for in terms of secluded, quiet wilderness. Everyone else was a little too close for comfort.

If you forget your firewood, cash (they only accept cash), drinks etc. there is a little country store just by the entrance to the lower- Lake Mary entrance day-use area. We went down there for cash and firewood.

Amazingly beautiful

Such a peaceful and beautiful camping environment. The grounds are exceptionally clean. The bathrooms as well. Very well maintained by camping host on site. We had a wonderful time, at this dog friendly campground. Good space between campsites. We can’t wait to go back!

Primitive campsites set in the trees.

Primitive camping in beautiful, cool Arizona forest.  Most campsites offer a lot of privacy.  Dirt roads are a bit rough, so SLOW is an important word!

Beauty beyond measures

Such an incredible place to visit. Very serine & tranquil with beauty beyond what the eyes can see. The rock formations are amazing, they truly take your breathe away. Not only is the town of Prescott a must see but there’s so much surrounding it as well

Woodsy

My daughter and I camped over the weekend and had so much fun. We were on site 41 which was a little too small for our large 8 person tent, but a smaller tent would have fit just fine. We weren’t able to have a fire because of this, but we had a blast anyways. But it looked like site 40 had a little bigger spot. It rained the whole weekend and while our site got wet the ground was so well maintained that it drained quickly and never got muddy. Even though we had a few rude people being extremely loud at 1am bear is, I would highly recommend this campground to anyone looking for somewhere to go.

Dark Skies + Cool Nights

We tent camped here in July and really appreciated the cool temperatures at night. The drive to the campground (either direction) is breathtaking and dramatic, and we loved the stream near our site. We thought the site was a good size- we didn’t feel anyone was too close. You can see so many stars above the ponderosas, and it smells amazing! No bug bites either, so that was a plus! The first night we were there, the bathrooms were completely full and dirty, but they were clean the second night. Showers are $4 for 8 minutes, and no electricity at the sites. $22 per night.

Nice!

Great place, laundry, pool and close to town. Each spot is level and very clean restrooms. We spent two months there while my husband received treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix. However, the roads are a bit of a challenge.

Family Friendly

There are a lot of good things about this campground with very few drawbacks. Staff was very friendly on check in. We loved that they named the “streets” and labeled them. It made finding our campsite very easy. It was a very clean facility and quiet as well. Access to flagstaff is great as well. Beautiful campsites. The kids loved the jumping pillow and playground. They also loved the banana bikes but we had a few crashes with a few skinned knees so if you want to ride them make sure you have a first aid kit with. The few things we didn’t like was no swimming pool as my kids love swimming but the flagstaff aquatic center is close but kind of pricey in my opinion. The next thing is there wasn’t a lot of open space to set up our games like cornhole and ladder golf. The next was the bathrooms/showers are centrally located and when your toddler needs to go potty it’s far away for those little legs. The last thing was that there isn’t a lot of room for visitor parking, we have friends who live in town who came out for dinner and s’mores and they had a hard time finding a space. Overall this is a great facility and I would recommend it to families.

Not are style

Beautiful trees with cooler temps very clean.. Camp sites are a little too compact and close together for the price and for are liking.. The main road goes through the north end of camp so you get to hear the Street bikes, Harley’s and wannabe mountain racers throughout the night flying up and down the mountain!! The best camp sites are reserved but nobody ever showed at a first come first serve camp ground weird.. Made the best of it and had a great time in Jerome and at the Verde River

Not as expected.

Came out for some camping, hiking, and fishing with the extended family. Wasn’t much of any of this at this campground.

Camping area was without any shade and made up only a few square meters of the complex. Site caters to the RV crowd, which is just fine as some of our group was looking for this and others rented a nice little cabin along the river. Only problem was that the facility was overrun with the annual crowd, which spent more time glaring and sneering, than minding their own. A few nice souls about, but more of the bitter old timers.

Hiking trails were advertised, but they were short and combined to less than 3km. Many were partial trails as they are undercutting them to add more RV parking. Hiking along the river is possible with the gate code you can get from an employee, but it is overgrown and not suited for small children.

Fishing is possible with a hike of less than a 1km and following the wash makes this a good morning activity for the entire family. A friendly resident was kind enough to hike the trail with us, showing us the waterfalls and fishing holes.

The facilities themselves, were actually quite nice. As expected from a retirement complex, there were daily activities, pool, billiards, shuffle board, and a Wi bowling league. Plenty of coffee, clean restrooms, free WiFi, and friendly staff were to be found every morning at the main lodge. Well maintained roads, cabins, and grassy areas(marked common areas, but locals claim them as their own and attack like rabid dogs if you walk on them), made the place acceptable.

4 Camping Newbies

Knoll Lake Campground was a great spot for Me, my fiancé, our two friends and two dogs. We had a great time and the camp site was in great condition. The drive in to the site is very bumpy and takes about 40 min total to get through, but it was well worth it. We had to drive down to the lake which is still walking distance away, but we decided to drive and it was a great call. We were able to set up a spot by the lake and relax and enjoy the beautiful weather. Overall it was a great stay and totally worth the trek through the bumpy roads.