About Homolovi Ruins State Park
Homolovi Ruins State Park is located in Arizona
11 Reviews of Homolovi Ruins State Park
Clean campsite near wonderfully preserved ruins

The campsite itself is simple, clean and quiet.   Due its location, its easily accessible and the sunsets and sunrises are wonderful.  If astronomy is your thing, the view of the night sky is spectacular.  The staff are friendly and knowledgeable.  As I stated earlier, this campsite is simple, no frills, but as a tent camper with a dog, this location was great.

A hot desert gem

Stopped here on my grand Route 66 adventure this summer. I really liked this park for several reasons. 1. It’s convenient to Route 66 (and Hwy 40); 2. It’s close to Petrified Forest National Park, which is pretty cool to explore on its own; 3. Free showers!!; 4. The campground is set back from the main park so you have a bit of privacy from day trippers; 5. Tent sites were level and well maintained (mine was raked!!); 6. All sites seemed to have hook-ups whether you needed them or not (maybe there were tent only sites, but it was all one price so no big deal); 7. The park has some great trails for hiking; 8. There is ancient pottery shards everywhere (don’t take it! Leave it for everyone to enjoy); 9. Free showers!!; 10. Not too far from Winslow, AZ, where you CAN stand on the corner.

Overall I enjoyed my stay here, though I got in at sunset and left shortly after the main park opened at 8am. This might be my only negative about the park. The main park and the best attractions don’t open until 8am (a ranger actually comes and opens the gates), which is much later than I tend to get moving (up with the sun and all). And with the heat of the day starting at 9:30, it’s hard to get to the sites and get in a good hike before it’s too hot.

Ancient Hopi Ruins

High desert, lots of sky and land, shards of ancient Hopi pottery everywhere, 52 sites some pull through, back in and tent sites, 30/50 amp available,dump station and potable water station, free showers and restrooms. On site Camphost, Homolovi I a d Homolovi ll nearby, rangers available from 8-5 - 7 days a week. Stargazing night at the ranger station with telescpe, 1880s Mormon cemetery within view of San Francisco Peaks and little Colorado River. A gem in the desert.

Peaceful desert campground

We really enjoyed this campground. We did not need a reservation in June when we went. They had plenty of available sites to choose from. The site we chose was site 16 which is a primitive site. If you walked up the hill a bit you could see Winslow, AZ, which was really pretty at night. The park is still gery dark though so you could see the stars. I’m sure if we had been there during a new moon, we could’ve seen the milky way it was that dark.

Our site was very nice. The tent pad had been raked, which was something you don’t see every day. It alwo had a picnic table and fire ring. There are not a lot of trees at this campground which may deter some, but if you are just there for an overnight stay like we were, there was no need for trees. They have new ones planted by each site so someday there will be shade.

They have a shower house, but we did not use it because it looked like it could use a good cleaning. The restrooms were ok, but could’ve used a cleaning as well. It seemed odd to me that the tent pads were raked but the bathroom stalls weren’t clean. Still, it was better than a smelly outhouse so I can’t complain too much.

Coming from the humidity in the midwest, we really enjoyed the lack of moisture. It was plenty hot during the day, but cooled off nicely in June. Cool dry air is perfect for sleeping and we got a great night’s sleep. Be sure to go to bed early because the sun rises early and it gets hot fast in the morning.

This campground is in the Homolovi State Park which was very interesting to take a look at while we were there. The visitor center is stunning…be sure to check out the bathrooms there! They are pretty awesome for a state park visitor center! The ruins may not be national park quality, but they are close. We had the place to ourselves which was kinda neat. It was so peaceful I could’ve just sat on one of the benches at the top of a hill for hours taking it all in. If you want a relaxing and peaceful campground and state park to visit, I highly recommend this one!

One other point to note is that Winslow is only about 7 miles away and they have a Walmart for supplies, as well as a few fast food places. You can also visit Standin’ on a Corner Park and some Route 66 stops. Overall, we enjoyed our time in this wonderfull desert location and would go back to camp again!

Quiet of the desert

This place is so peaceful. You can see the mesas in the distance. It's not far from Winslow or Flagstaff. But it's nice and quiet there. It has a wonderful feeling. There are many artifacts so remember to leave no trace and not move or remove anything.

Wide Open Spaces

Homolovi State Park and Ruins….Ruins of the 'Ancient Ones', the Hopi. Land of Little Hills. A Galaxy of stars in the dark skies at night as you snuggle under your sleeping bag the cool desert breeze across your face, the howl of coyotes in the distance. Free use of showers and bathrooms after driving the I-40 , large spaces for the motorhome with FHU, a dump station, potable and drinking water available, dumpster for trash. Easy pay after 430pm on site. Then there are the ruins at Homolovi l and ll, Winslow a quick 10 minutes away, little painted desert over the hill, Petrified Forest and Holbrook East on I 40 about 20 miles away, Meteor Crator I 40 west about 15 miles away. Then there are the San Francisco Peaks in the distance. How can you go wrong with a stopover here.

"Ranger Review: Mountain House Homestyle Turkey Casserole at Homolovi Ruins State Park, AZ"

Campground Review:

This campground was priceless. We stayed at site 11 and it was perfect in reference to the bathrooms for late night use. The campground is a loop with lots of wild Arizona desert brush for little boys to explore. This loops also makes some campsites inconvenient to the bathrooms and FREE showers. Check the site map before reserving. The restrooms and FREE showers were very clean and spacious. The campground was also very clean. I did notice, on our visit, there seemed to be many more RV's than tents. Also, not a lot of families with young children although my children loved the park. The sites are open so there is not a lot of privacy, however, they are spaced apart so you are not on top of each other. The rangers and volunteers were very friendly, knowledgeable and patient with little boy questions. Our first hike was to the Visitors center through wild Arizona desert and cows with a beautiful view of a snow capped mountain. I was very impressed with the Native American history at this park. Each site has a fire ring, grill, and tent pad (with eye hooks all around). The eye hooks were very handy because the winds got a little gusty one night. Also, did I mention the cows???

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. Today I tested "MOUNTAIN HOUSE HOMESTYLE TURKEY CASSEROLE" https://www.mountainhouse.com/m/product/homestyle-turkey-dinner-casserole.html

1. This meal was an easy perfect Easter lunch on the day we packed up to leave.
  2. The instructions were spot on and easy to follow
  3. My husband and I enjoyed this meal more than the kids did but the flavor was great. The chicken was nice big pieces, there were lots of veggies and the stuffing was the best.
  4. Took up very little space in packing, light weight, very filling.
Great history

If you are interested in Native American history and culture you definitely need to stop here to learn and enjoy the artifacts. Since it is in the middle of nowhere it is nice that they have camping, but it is very simple and open like in many parts of the southwest. It was clean and simple. The ruins are smaller than we expected and there is always a chance you may disover some pieces of pottery on your walks around the area (leave them in place!). In our opinion you don’t need more than a day here.

Super underrated

This place could easily be a national monument. The visitor center is a piece of art! Insane artifacts and they are still uncovering! Great bathrooms and showers are free as always, AZ!

Unsuspectingly amazing

The visitor center is awesome. Amazing architecture for a visitor center in the middle of nowhere. The ruins are cool, there are a few different sites and more is being uncovered all the time. There was even tissues and a heater in the bathrooms at the campsite.