About Homolovi Ruins State Park
Homolovi Ruins State Park is located in Arizona
15 Reviews of Homolovi Ruins State Park
Great Place to Exlore

This is a great little campground 2 miles outside of Winslow Arizona. It’s in the middle of a state park that has two areas of ruins. One area is located about a mile from the campground. The campground has all the amenities. There’s good distance between each of the RV sites but there’s no shade since this is grassland. This is a wonderful place to explore.

Cell Coverage: Outstanding

WOW, WOW, WOW

Just stunning!! Beautiful trails and gorgeous overall. A lot of interesting information at the ruin sites. We stayed at the campground and enjoyed watching the sunset.

Great place to camp overnight.$18 for tents, running water, smallish trees, restrooms with flush toilets, extra fees for electrical hookups. The fees keep the hobos away.  I-40 and the train tracks are close enough to hear in the tent, but not loud enough to keep you awake.

The bathrooms are wiped down everyday as well as the showers which are in decent condition. The water is hot and water pressure is great.

Be careful driving in, they've filled in the cracks in the roads about a mile in, but after that there are decent sized cracks going the whole length of the road left to right. Smaller vehicles didn't seem to have a problem. But we had to drive very slowly in our RV.

Great spot for a break from Interstate 40

Very nice RV park within 2 miles of I-40 near Winslow, Az. Park has about 35, nicely spaced RV pads on asphalt. Very nice restrooms with excellent showers. Many pads with electricity and water. No sewer but they have a free dump site at the entrance. Each site has planted trees and fire pits. Exploring ancient Indian ruins is a great addition to your stay.

Great camp in the Ruins

Not much out there in Winslow AZ, but the ruins are a must if you're in the area. If you want to camp for the night, I recommend staying in the campground. Even though you can see the hwy, it's far enough that you don't hear the noise and you get a great view of the Flagstaff snow peaks. For $25 we had water, electric, picnic table and firepit (they don't sell firewood) Although we had a firepit, we didn't use it because Winslow should be called Wind-not so-slow! Crazy how that wind whips across the desert. The camp host was very nice and helpful. There is a path you can walk over to the visitor center (it's a little over a mile hike). Bathrooms were very clean, didn't use the showers, so I don't know. Satellite dish, had no problem with reception, wide open spaces. Verizon phone worked great

Clean campsite near wonderfully preserved ruins

The campsite itself is simple, clean and quiet.   Due its location, its easily accessible and the sunsets and sunrises are wonderful.  If astronomy is your thing, the view of the night sky is spectacular.  The staff are friendly and knowledgeable.  As I stated earlier, this campsite is simple, no frills, but as a tent camper with a dog, this location was great.

A hot desert gem

Stopped here on my grand Route 66 adventure this summer. I really liked this park for several reasons. 1. It’s convenient to Route 66 (and Hwy 40); 2. It’s close to Petrified Forest National Park, which is pretty cool to explore on its own; 3. Free showers!!; 4. The campground is set back from the main park so you have a bit of privacy from day trippers; 5. Tent sites were level and well maintained (mine was raked!!); 6. All sites seemed to have hook-ups whether you needed them or not (maybe there were tent only sites, but it was all one price so no big deal); 7. The park has some great trails for hiking; 8. There is ancient pottery shards everywhere (don’t take it! Leave it for everyone to enjoy); 9. Free showers!!; 10. Not too far from Winslow, AZ, where you CAN stand on the corner.

Overall I enjoyed my stay here, though I got in at sunset and left shortly after the main park opened at 8am. This might be my only negative about the park. The main park and the best attractions don’t open until 8am (a ranger actually comes and opens the gates), which is much later than I tend to get moving (up with the sun and all). And with the heat of the day starting at 9:30, it’s hard to get to the sites and get in a good hike before it’s too hot.

Ancient Hopi Ruins

High desert, lots of sky and land, shards of ancient Hopi pottery everywhere, 52 sites some pull through, back in and tent sites, 30/50 amp available,dump station and potable water station, free showers and restrooms. On site Camphost, Homolovi I a d Homolovi ll nearby, rangers available from 8-5 - 7 days a week. Stargazing night at the ranger station with telescpe, 1880s Mormon cemetery within view of San Francisco Peaks and little Colorado River. A gem in the desert.

Peaceful desert campground

We really enjoyed this campground. We did not need a reservation in June when we went. They had plenty of available sites to choose from. The site we chose was site 16 which is a primitive site. If you walked up the hill a bit you could see Winslow, AZ, which was really pretty at night. The park is still gery dark though so you could see the stars. I’m sure if we had been there during a new moon, we could’ve seen the milky way it was that dark.

Our site was very nice. The tent pad had been raked, which was something you don’t see every day. It alwo had a picnic table and fire ring. There are not a lot of trees at this campground which may deter some, but if you are just there for an overnight stay like we were, there was no need for trees. They have new ones planted by each site so someday there will be shade.

They have a shower house, but we did not use it because it looked like it could use a good cleaning. The restrooms were ok, but could’ve used a cleaning as well. It seemed odd to me that the tent pads were raked but the bathroom stalls weren’t clean. Still, it was better than a smelly outhouse so I can’t complain too much.

Coming from the humidity in the midwest, we really enjoyed the lack of moisture. It was plenty hot during the day, but cooled off nicely in June. Cool dry air is perfect for sleeping and we got a great night’s sleep. Be sure to go to bed early because the sun rises early and it gets hot fast in the morning.

This campground is in the Homolovi State Park which was very interesting to take a look at while we were there. The visitor center is stunning…be sure to check out the bathrooms there! They are pretty awesome for a state park visitor center! The ruins may not be national park quality, but they are close. We had the place to ourselves which was kinda neat. It was so peaceful I could’ve just sat on one of the benches at the top of a hill for hours taking it all in. If you want a relaxing and peaceful campground and state park to visit, I highly recommend this one!

One other point to note is that Winslow is only about 7 miles away and they have a Walmart for supplies, as well as a few fast food places. You can also visit Standin’ on a Corner Park and some Route 66 stops. Overall, we enjoyed our time in this wonderfull desert location and would go back to camp again!

Quiet of the desert

This place is so peaceful. You can see the mesas in the distance. It's not far from Winslow or Flagstaff. But it's nice and quiet there. It has a wonderful feeling. There are many artifacts so remember to leave no trace and not move or remove anything.

Wide Open Spaces

Homolovi State Park and Ruins….Ruins of the 'Ancient Ones', the Hopi. Land of Little Hills. A Galaxy of stars in the dark skies at night as you snuggle under your sleeping bag the cool desert breeze across your face, the howl of coyotes in the distance. Free use of showers and bathrooms after driving the I-40 , large spaces for the motorhome with FHU, a dump station, potable and drinking water available, dumpster for trash. Easy pay after 430pm on site. Then there are the ruins at Homolovi l and ll, Winslow a quick 10 minutes away, little painted desert over the hill, Petrified Forest and Holbrook East on I 40 about 20 miles away, Meteor Crator I 40 west about 15 miles away. Then there are the San Francisco Peaks in the distance. How can you go wrong with a stopover here.