Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 50 ft.
Gilbert Ray Campground is located in Arizona
20 Reviews of Gilbert Ray Campground
Enough Room for All

I arrived late on a Wednesday evening recently and there were plenty of sites available. I’m going to assume there are always sites available because there are several signs posted that if you see someone in your reserved space to simply just find another space for yourself.

There is a little “tent only” section, but even though I’m a tent camper, I opted for one of the spaces that was a bit bigger. I believe I was at site 74. There was a water spigot just across the road from my site. 🤘🏻

The surrounding flora is beautiful, but there is apparently a firing range just a few miles away. ALL morning long it sounds like a war in the distance. It was fine with me, but if you are particularly bothered by unrelenting noise or if you have PTSD, this may not be the place for you unless you plan to be up and out very early each morning. I cannot stress this enough that the gunfire is clearly audible from the campground and surrounding area (even as you go up the Brown Mountain Trail).

There are flush toilets and sinks with running water on premise, but no showers. The Pilot Travel Center just a short ways down I-10 has a great truck stop showering facility (seriously, it’s like brand new!) if you really need to wash up.

Saguaro National Park is maybe 10 minutes away. The drive in and out of the campground is absolutely beautiful with saguaro cactus everywhere, but it will take you at least 20-30 minutes to get anywhere else in Tucson.

Great spot in the desert.

Great campground, we had a large site on H loop, there was power for the turtle tank. Beautiful sunsets, and great vistas. Only 12 miles out of Tucson. Water was about 150 ft away. Only drawback was no showers. But it gave us a chance to try out our solar showers. Plenty of hiking trails.

Beautiful and cozy

The park is large with views that go on and on. We had a back-in site on the edge of the loop, so there wasn't anyone behind us and we felt very cozy. The site was a little tighter than we expected, so pay attention to the length of the vehicle recommended for the site(on the website) and whether it is a back-in or pull-through site. Even the sites in the middle of the loop had fairly good privacy. Loop C is smaller, so quieter. Loop A had far more sites, but you do not need to backtrack to get to the dump station.

Be aware: the only hookup at the RV sites is electricity. There are plenty of water spots to get potable water, but they aren't at each site and aren't available to hook up to while camping. The dump station is in the middle of the park and has two places to dump, but can get backed up if there is a line. Definitely go. And definitely stay for more than one day.

Great desert stopover with great skies

Traveling thru AZ had a one night stop here. Pretty terrain, lovely sky and mellow vibe.  Nice to  walk around with pups on leash and enjoy the Ancient saguaro cactus. Sunset was epic. Close to Tucson so we checked out the college town and got some amazing donuts. I would not plan a week here but it was pretty for a night. Had electric hook ups!

All Gravel

This is a very nice and well maintained campground with many sites to choose from, but it is definitely geared toward staying in an RV given the utility hook-ups. Luckily I packed two sleeping pads along with my tent for the night or it would've been extremely uncomfortable; every site is filled with heavy gravel closer to a stone consistency. I didn't have any problems with coyotes venturing around, but the grasshoppers that would continually crash onto the stones was a little annoying while sleeping. There are no fires allowed at any site here because there are no fire pits or rings, though the large concrete picnic tables are a nice touch. The bathrooms are clean and orderly. If you want to stay here for a nice and easy hike up Brown Mountain nearby, this campground is a no-brainer.

Very Nice

My grandson and I stayed in a tent campsite for two nights. There are only a 5 tent sites and they don't have a tent pad. After two passes we were able to find a site with a smooth spot without rocks for the tent, B5, a picnic table but no shade. I felt there could have been more bathrooms and water spickets but honestly I did not do much walking in the campground. It is the quiet time of year, before snowbirds come, so we were able to have our pick of electric or not sites. It was quiet; I think three trailers and one other tenter. No generators allowed and 7 day strict limit. The coyotes were very vocal at night, which I enjoyed.This is more of an RV campground but suited us fine for two days. We interacted with the hosts and they were very nice. We explored the trails, visitor center and Sonora Desert Museum, which we loved. Thirty minute drive to Tucson. We went to the Reid Park Zoo, which we thoroughly enjoyed; LOTS of animals for a small zoo. We drove the loop in East Saguaro National Park. Some things closed in West Saguaro park so be aware of that, like Old Tucson, but we found lots to do.

Skyline of Saguaros

I typically rate campgrounds as they fit into 1 of 5 categories. This campground will be rated as a Regional/Public Park — Grounds that are on public lands, and have a cost for entry and/or overnight stay. Ratings for this category are based on: Cost: 5 Allure of the park/lands: 5 Amenities as available (bathrooms, showers, hookups, etc): 4 Layout and privacy of sites: 4

These campgrounds are an excellent option to explore nearby Saguaro National Park, Tucson, Sonora Desert Museum, Pima Air Museum and more! There are hiking trails right off the grounds and it’s also convenient to bike riding. There are no showers available but the bathrooms are decent and cleaned frequently. There are lots of sites that offer electric hookups (30amp). There is also water available throughout the grounds and dump stations. The reservation system is new, which is a nice update to the previous FCFS system… especially in the winter when these grounds are popular. At $20/night with electric hookups, it’s an amazing value. Sites are laid out nicely to provide some privacy in many areas, though not completely private. There isn’t any shade afforded at the sites but the skyline of saguaros is a beautiful backdrop. We love this spot!

Excelent place to stay!

Fantastic place to stay in the Arizona countryside. Cacti everywhere! So cool!

wonderful spot

Well kept, some sites have nice large pagodas, bathrooms are very clean, camp ground manager is very friendly and personable.

Beautiful location, very sparse spots, very quite.

Black Friday Gift: 6 months of FREE PRO camping features. Get Your Gift