Tucson, ARIZONA

Most Recent Tucson Camping Reviews
Very Nice

My grandson and I stayed in a tent campsite for two nights. There are only a 5 tent sites and they don't have a tent pad. After two passes we were able to find a site with a smooth spot without rocks for the tent, B5, a picnic table but no shade. I felt there could have been more bathrooms and water spickets but honestly I did not do much walking in the campground. It is the quiet time of year, before snowbirds come, so we were able to have our pick of electric or not sites. It was quiet; I think three trailers and one other tenter. No generators allowed and 7 day strict limit. The coyotes were very vocal at night, which I enjoyed.This is more of an RV campground but suited us fine for two days. We interacted with the hosts and they were very nice. We explored the trails, visitor center and Sonora Desert Museum, which we loved. Thirty minute drive to Tucson. We went to the Reid Park Zoo, which we thoroughly enjoyed; LOTS of animals for a small zoo. We drove the loop in East Saguaro National Park. Some things closed in West Saguaro park so be aware of that, like Old Tucson, but we found lots to do.

Beautiful park!

Loved this state park, and really enjoyed our campsite (A11). The campsites were spaced apart with some privacy and all had great views of the hills. They have campsites with electricity and water but no sewer (but they have a sewer dump).

I only wish we had more time here. We will definitely come again!

Convenient

This park is located right off of I-10. We stayed monthly. (June-September) We were in a covered (Under the solar panels in the back) spot and we pay roughly $900 a month. Which I think is a little high but it’s so worth it for the summer. The office people are super nice and accommodating. The laundry room is outdated but it works great. They also have a shower house and it’s awesome too! The laundry and shower house has a code that is only giving to residents. They have a pool and a bbq put next to the pool that everyone can use. It’s not in a super great neighborhood but it’s nice. They just built a Dollar General that is walking distance from the trailer park. Everything else is about a 15 minute drive. If you need a night or a month, it’s a great park!

Neat place

This camp ground is nice, the camp sites are set up uniquely with rock boundaries. The hiking was very cool. The weird thing is that at night when the air got cooler, the highway noise and trains got way LOUDER. You didn't notice the highway or trains during the day, could barely hear any of it, but as soon as it got dark…. WOW, was it noisy. I'm glad I went there but I don't need to do it again.

Nice and quite state park

Quite place. The area I was in, the camping spots were spread out. The Catalina mountains were right behind us and made a beautiful back drop. Bathrooms seemed to be far away, especially when you really have to go. I do have reservations to go back in October. One down side is that though dogs ARE allowed in the park, they are not allowed on the hiking trails and since I didn't know that ahead of time and I couldn't leave my dog alone at the camp site… No hiking for me =(

Very pretty area

Camped here in late October of 2018. You basically turn onto E. Mount Bigelow Rd, drive past the UA Observatory and start looking for a place to camp. The sites are spread out with lots of space between. Fires were aloud at the time I was there and I think you would be able to have a pet on a leash. It gets cold on the Mountain at night in October and I was not as prepared as I should have been. No bathrooms, no water, no electricity but lots of fun! Great for group camping and lots of trees for hammocks!

Very cool state park

I typically rate campgrounds as they fit into 1 of 5 categories. This campground will be rated as a Regional/Public Park — Grounds that are on public lands, and have a cost for entry and/or overnight stay. Ratings for this category are based on: Cost: 5 Allure of the park/lands: 4 Amenities as available (bathrooms, showers, hookups, etc): 5 Layout and privacy of sites: 4

We wish we had more time to spend here! We used these grounds as a jumping-off point to visit Tombstone (meh), Bisbee & Lowell AZ along with a few other small ghost towns. We also headed to Chiricahua National Monument on our way out of here, though it is a trek(about 90 minutes). The area is remote and has a beautiful mountain backdrop. We weren’t able to explore the caverns at the State Park but will on our next visit! We’ve heard the tours fill up daily, so make reservations for your planned stay.

The price is very fair at $30/ night for electricity and water hookups. The showers and bathrooms were always clean. The layout was quite nice with plenty of personal space.

Worth mentioning, we were there in January and it was very, very cold. We were unaware just how cold AZ could get. This was our awakening.

Skyline of Saguaros

I typically rate campgrounds as they fit into 1 of 5 categories. This campground will be rated as a Regional/Public Park — Grounds that are on public lands, and have a cost for entry and/or overnight stay. Ratings for this category are based on: Cost: 5 Allure of the park/lands: 5 Amenities as available (bathrooms, showers, hookups, etc): 4 Layout and privacy of sites: 4

These campgrounds are an excellent option to explore nearby Saguaro National Park, Tucson, Sonora Desert Museum, Pima Air Museum and more! There are hiking trails right off the grounds and it’s also convenient to bike riding. There are no showers available but the bathrooms are decent and cleaned frequently. There are lots of sites that offer electric hookups (30amp). There is also water available throughout the grounds and dump stations. The reservation system is new, which is a nice update to the previous FCFS system… especially in the winter when these grounds are popular. At $20/night with electric hookups, it’s an amazing value. Sites are laid out nicely to provide some privacy in many areas, though not completely private. There isn’t any shade afforded at the sites but the skyline of saguaros is a beautiful backdrop. We love this spot!

Friendly staff

We spent about a month at the Tra-Tel and found the grounds well kept, the staff very friendly, the rates reasonable, and the location ideal. We’d definitely stay here again if coming through.

Picache Peak State Park

April 20-23, 2019. Park very clean. Site had electric but no water. There was water at the dump station. High speed internet is available for a charge. Verizon 4G5 bars. Very hot.