the dyrt
Kaibab National Forest, ARIZONA
Most Recent Kaibab National Forest Camping Reviews
A fun place to be.

We were here for three months as I was on assignment at the hospital. We had a lot of fun. The staff was friendly and accommodating, the facilities were well kept and clean, and the park brought people in to keep us entertained. The spaces were a little tight for larger rigs, we were in a 36 foot pulled by an F350 quad cab long bed and had room.

South rim Grand Canyon trip

Really close campsite to the Grand Canyon. Nice clean restrooms. We went in November so it was cold(low 10’s and only up to mid 20’s during day! So be prepared. Sites had table and fire pit. And easy access roads to sides

Close but crowded

A large campground in the middle of the park. Pine loop is generator free so it was quieter than the rest. There are no quick walks to the rim from the camp but there is a bus system that can take you there. November was a quieter time but still fairly busy.

Wrong place to stay.

As a KOA this one is at the bottom of my list. I don’t mind the trains, kind of nice to see them. I do however mind that they don’t offer a cable hookup of any kind. Especially in a location that has zero channels to pick up using my antenna. It’s 2018, how hard is it install a satellite and offer the campers something to hook up to.

Perfect for staying close to Sedona w/o the crowds

This is a dispersed camping area so no facilities. It's pretty rocky so 4x4 is highly encouraged. It's really quiet except the occasional hunting activity. You can find plenty of spots right off the road or walk in a little farther. You'll be able to pull your truck in no problem and some spaces are large and flat enough for RVs and campers. Sedona should be on your list of must-sees if you're a visitor to Arizona. Take a jeep or helicopter tour! Visit Slide Rock when it's warm enough out to swim. Airport lookout and the vortex offer great photo ops at sunset.

It's worth a stop even for a day

In the winter, you can hear the ice cracking on the lake which other than wildlife may be all you hear. I'm all about solitude. If you're camping, pick one of the large group sites here and you'll have it! Lake level is often low and fish are scarce but have fun trying anyway. It's beautiful. Camp hosts have always been friendly, helpful, and keep the facilities clean. Listen in for one of the informative nature talks they offer most weekends. This lake is close to the adorable town of Williams. Enjoy the nostalgic Route 66 town shops and restaurants and take a ride on the Polar Express!

Great for larger RV’s

This is a great campground in the Grand Canyon National Park it is close to the village, you can bike and hike fom this location. There is also a bus stop at the entrance to this campground that will take you all around the canyon to see all of the sites. All of the spots are pull through and have water electricity sewer and cable. The cell service is ok depending on where you are at. There are a lot of people from other countries that stay at this campground so you meet a lot of nice people. The campground is very close to the rim and many amenities. There is also elk that will come through and graze. We stayed for seven days in August during the rainy season very pleasant.

Spacious and Wild

If you are looking to get out of town and not be bothered by many other campers, this is the place for you.

Each site has lots of room! The trees are beautiful and the scent of pine is lovely. There are no facilities, so be prepared for that! No toilets, showers, water, electricity, etc.

The place is really beautiful though and I can't wait to come back.

Ranger Review: Escape Campervans at Flagstaff KOA

Campground Review

The Flagstaff KOA is a great place to stay! And a great jumping-off-point to fabulous destinations.  We were visiting the Grand Canyon from Phoenix, so we were able to make it to the campground in about 2 hours (leaving after work) and then drive to and from the Grand Canyon the next day, since it is only an hour drive from there.

The sites are pretty close together, but that didn’t really matter staying in our campervan.  We had all the space we needed. I especially loved the very clean bathrooms! Flushing toilets and free showers (with attached changing stalls) made for a very comfortable trip.

Our kid’s favorite was the Jumping Pillow.  It is this huge inflatable thing that the kids can jump all over and they wanted to do that constantly.  Super fun and easy entertainment.

There was also a large playground and little go-kart style bicycles the kids could rent.

Our stay was really great and I highly recommend the Flagstaff KOA!

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products from time to time.  Escape Campervans allowed me and my family to take our their Maverick van for the weekend.  Let me give you all the details:

First of all, we LOVED traveling in this campervan!!  Driving in and of itself was wonderful. The back bench is very spacious, so our three kids in car seats/boosters had plenty of space.  I loved the huge passenger seat and could really spread out while we drove. The van was easy to handle and easy to maneuver. Even on little dirt roads and tight turns we had plenty of space (very unlike an RV).

Once we got to our campsite, it was dark out and 9 o’clock at night.  All the kids had fallen asleep on the drive. Normally this would be a huge pain, having to pitch our tents and unpack the cots and sleeping bags, and pack n’ play etc.  But we just pulled into our spot (these vans can park in tent sites too!) and my husband got out and popped the rooftop sleeper (takes 30 sec. to do), we shuffled the kids up top while I unfolded the inside bed.  Took us just a few minutes to get both beds up and ready to go. The kids were nestled into their beds in no time.

My 4 year old daughter and I slept in the inside bed together, with my 1 year old son in a little pop-up baby tent at the foot of the bed.  My husband and 5 year old son slept in the rooftop sleeper. Everyone was warm despite the 35 degree nighttime temperature, and everyone slept through the night  (a FIRST for this family while camping!!).

The back doors open to reveal a complete camp kitchen, with pump sink, propane stove, all the utensils, prep surface, solar powered fridge and plates/cups.  We cooked up some homemade fajitas with steak strips and peppers on the stovetop and it worked fabulously. We literally just pulled off to the side of the road in Grand Canyon National Park and made this delicious lunch.  The kids ran and played in the trees while I cooked. It was a special moment.

I really can’t say enough good about the experience. We can’t wait to rent one again.  It made this trip so easy. Some things you don’t even think about, like how we all needed to change clothes at the Grand Canyon.  We just shut the curtains and were able to do that in a busy parking lot. In our minivan -- that would not have happened.

Tons of storage space, smooth ride, comfortable sleeping, large back bench.  Great. Trip.

Product Video

Overview video:

Van tour:

Loud Camp

I really enjoyed the location of this campground but like other reviews have mentioned it is pretty noisy. For some reason this place just attracts campers which have a lot going on at their site and because of the proximity to each campsite sound travels.

I thought about possibly returning to this site midweek when less people are traveling.

I found a site which was pretty large and had a nice space for a tent. When I set up it was pretty empty but by dark that is when everyone started piling in.

I spent much of my time away from my campsite itself hiking around and enjoying the lake which has so much to offer.

Kids paradise

Lots to do for kids. Nice wooded sites. Rzr trails in the area and close to lots of fishing. Town of Williams is a tourist adventure and Bearzona is a Blast!! 🎣🐻🦉🌲

Great views and access to trails

A nice little campground with one loop. What I liked about this was the great hosts (who seemed on constant patrol in their golf cart), the level sites for tents, and the great access to trails. There was a trail that went under the road that led to the lake and another that went up to great views and the Arizona Trail. There was tons of elk scat on the upper Trail but I never saw any elk. At the top of the trail you had to go thru a gate into open range to get to the Arizona Trail. It was obvious from the cow patties that this was a popular spot for the cows as well. As for amenities, the tent pads were level and clean, there were fire pits (no fire due to the ban), and clean vault toilets. I’d stay here again.

River camping in Arizona

Another small roadside campground that hugs the side of the hill. Sites were small and on top of each other. The best sites (taken, of course) were set back next to the creek and swimming hole. They were also the biggest sites, but I don’t think they were group sites. Watch out for snakes, there were signs everywhere. Every site had a picnic table and fire pit, but a burn ban was in effect so you could not have a campfire. I thought the price for the sites was a bit steep considering how close they were to the road (literally right next to the road) and the lack of amenities- no hook ups for RV’s and only a fairly dirty pit toilet.

Fun for everyone

Seasonal campground that has something for everyone. It has tent sites, camper sites and group sites. There is day use parking and an ampatheter for Ranger shows. You can take boats out on the lake for fishing. It’s a great place to ride bikes, beautiful area with some hills. Geocaching and even Pokémon hunting.

Clean and simple

We stayed at this campground for two nights in September. Checking in was easy, informative and we also got a detailed map of the campground. Bathroom and drinking water is close by and every bathroom has an outdoor sink for washing dishes and animal proof trash cans. Campsites are nice, clean and big, every one of them has a picnic table and designated campfire. There is a campsite host on site 24/7. We had a nice, quet stay at this campground, and if you're lucky you'll see deer/elk early in the morning around your tent eating breakfast :)

Cozy, close to everything

This is a great place to camp on the south rim! Walk to Navajo point snack bar/camp store and watchtower! Tent camp sites have shade and a picnic table. Go catch sunset at the tower! But get there before 6! Very quiet campground off tourist path just far enough out of high traffic areas. Highly recommend!

Very nice and plenty of space

This campground is a great place to stay for cheap if you want to camp out near the Grand Canyon. It was only 20ish minutes from the canyon and it was a great place to camp out with a few friends.

Last minute cancellation got us into the park RV spot.

Book ahead of time..maybe months before you go.

Ponderosa Pine forest, roadside campground.

This campground is right off of the main road leading into Sedona. The showers are $4 each. The sites are relatively close in proximity. The bathrooms are vault style. Try and reserve a site away from bathrooms and road to reduce noise and light pollution. There are many trees which make hammock camping a favorable option. Beautiful creek runs along the site. Camp hosts are very friendly! Running water. Soft pine needle forest floor. Brisk temperatures in the night, 50's and high's in the 90's.

Mather Grand Canyon sept 2018

Grand Canyon is a professional setup. They know how to do things, while this is the most popular park in the US, they are very organized. Yes, we had to make reservations and we were camping in a tent 3 nights and had to change campsites each night. Plenty of bathrooms with running water/flush toilets, showers are in a central location close to the check in site, and showers were $2.00 for 8 minutes. Shuttles arrive frequently to take you where you need to go, or the marketplace is a short walk. We got our water refilled at the marketplace for free. Mather is a tent campground, RVs are at a separate site.

Great for tent camping!

Great place for tent camping with a friendly staff and nice amenities. The campground sits on Oak Creek, and is in the perfect location where you are far enough away from Sedona city center to have some peace and quiet, and within an amazing setting of red rocks, tall pines and the sound of a creek surround you. The tent sites are spacious, and offer plenty of privacy. The campground has shower facilities, a small general store where you can get firewood and small groceries, and restrooms. The pit toilets are a bit nasty; I wish they would update them and make them a little cleaner and user-friendly…lol. They can get really disgusting and stink horribly during warmer weather. But the rest of the experience here makes the restrooms the least of the issues. We always stay here when in Sedona.

Wonderful escape from the low desert.

The sites are clean, well spaced, and all under a canopy of green trees. The Oak Creek runs next to the loop A sites and is fun and refreshing to walk along. Weekends can fill quickly, but weekdays have far fewer people. Be warned, we were told that the summer months are busy week long and can get loud with partying college kids. Camp hosts have been making an effort to enforce the quiet hours because of this.

Amazing views, but crazy busy

I’ve been to Lockett Meadow several times over the past 4 years and it never disappoints. I have gone both during the first few weeks of October when the leaves are changing color and in the height of summer after the monsoons turn everything green. Both times of the year are beautiful, but Lockett Meadow is always really busy. The camp sites are limited and it is first cone first serve so camping there is really about being lucky or being the earliest of early birds. If you’re sucky enough to find a spot, enjoy because it is truly beautiful up there!

Simple campground

campground is right off the main highway. fairly close to hear driving cars depending on the campground. very close to Sedona and rock slide park. spots are big enough for a small party of campers. facilities are nice and well maintained. campsites are close together but private enough.

Convenient to the south entrance of the Grand Canyon

The store offered a few things. The shower houses were being renovated. We only stayed one night and it snowed. In May!

Hard to Get reservations, But Worth it!!!

My wife and I took a week long road trip through Arizona, we made no plans and no reservations. Little did we know after reaching the North Rim Campground, we would find that the camp sights are books 6+ months ahead of time. The park ranger told us about the dispersed camping many mile away, as we were getting ready to leave line, a couple walks up and explained they had reserved a corner spot which contained 2 spots, because it was the only one available that weekend. they offered the unused sight to us!!!!!

We took the offer and were Blown away by the beauty that surrounded our site, we were far from others even quite far from our helpful hosts, the hiking is stunning and the lodge there makes some great food as well as a great place to buy some souvenirs.

Facilities:

Fire-ring, BBQ, Water nearby, AMAZING SPACE, plenty of tree coverage from the sun, close to hiking, and within a short drive to the best sunsets Arizona has to offer

We HIGHLY recommend catching the sunset at Angel Peak!!!! but watch out for the altitude change, its quite high at 8297 feet. Our hometown is at 2800 and the hiking got the best of me…

Friendly staff, close to mountains and downtown

We stayed in our 27 foot trailer in July 2018 for a few days. Spot was nice enough, easy to get in and out of for beginners. Neighbors were all great. Close to the outdoors of the mountains, and to downtown Flagstaff (which is a lot of fun if you have been, lots of breweries, restaurants, and bars). Didn't use a lot of facilities other than getting a breakfast burrito from the kitchen which was yummy!

Vast Views

A little on the pricy side of campgrounds, but well worth it. Shuttle service running to the Grand Canyon from the campground is great and location could not be better. Great modern facilities.

Great for groups

We were here for a group event and had a great time. Sites were large and shady. Great temps. The campground is close to an event center, though, so expect noise on the weekends even after quiet hours.

not bad

it’s not close to much, but there is some running water you can cool off in and refill water. just make sure you filter it. when we were there they didn’t have running water to just fill up from. very hot on the way to this camp site as there is not much cover on the trail.