Kaibab National Forest, ARIZONA
Most Recent Kaibab National Forest Camping Reviews
adequate for one night

We were there early in the season so parts weren’t open. There had just been some snow. Facilities were ok for our needs. Location is good. Flagstaff is a great city and lots of recreation nearby.

Nice but crowded

Its a large KOA right off the highway. Nice facility, with bathrooms, showers, a store, and more. We’ve stayed here twice. Once in a tent and once in a cabin. They offer nicer cabins that’s almost it’s own little house with your own bathroom and kitchen. We stayed in a basic cabin with only beds and a heater. But it was enough for what we wanted. Camp sites are close to each other a long with the cabins. It’s a nice facility to stay at that’s on alternative to a hotel however you don’t get that camping feel with all the people being packed in one area. While staying here we visited our beloved Bearizona, and downtown Williams. Some of our favorite things to do in AZ. If you really want a camping feel, then I would not recommend however if you want a nice alternative to a hotel and to enjoy the outdoors this is your spot.

Beautiful!

Lots of deer and very clean.  Gets very cold at night and early morning.

Bathrooms are clean.

Great camping location for couples and families.

Busy but fun

Lots going on here, quite a bit of noise but plenty of fun, especially if you have restless kids!

safe and fun place to camp

it was my first time camping; so this was a safe and fun place to start 🏕

Best location for Overland Expo

This place was perfect for Overland Expo West and camping. While the venue was packed, our camper was tucked under the trees and plenty activities to do.

White Horse Lake spot D68

Nice quiet area, short drive to Williams, Az & Flagstaff. Restrooms are available but no showers at the location I was at. The grounds were extremely clean. Fire pits available, two large concrete picnic tables were on the site. We had 3 cars there and plenty of room at this site. I’d stay here again if I could.

Boondocking Walnut Canyon National monument

Many boondocking sights to choose from. Some access roads are 4 wheel drive only.

Closed currently

Drove up and they had the campground closed down.

Makes camping easy!

There are tons of in camp activities for the children to do like playing in the park or go karting. Hamocks are not allowed on trees and fires were also banned due to the wind. Facilities are clean and nice. There is a game room in the laundry room and the pool was indoors.

Not Perfect But Close

Other than being close to the highway, we love this campground. It is in a heavily wooded forest next to Oak Creek. It has multiple bathrooms and accessible drinking water. A decent distance from other campers and a large camping area. Staff is friendly, and close to all that Sedona, Arizona has to offer. Its only a few miles from Oak Creek Canyon’s West Fork trail where we hiked the 6 mile round trip trail, would recommend. There’s also a campsite a mile south that allows visitors to use their shower for only 4 dollars, which we utilized. Highly recommend this campground!

Wooded sites

I stayed here for 2 nights in October, during that time it was very cold in the Grand Canyon. This campground didn’t have many people staying in it, so it was very quiet. The bathrooms were close by and there was a laundry facility. There were large deer everywhere.

WOWZA!

This. Place. Breathtakingly beautiful. Obviously the canyon stole the show, but Mather Park was a treat as well. It was jam packed with tourists, but still amazing! I loved being close to the general store and hotel, complete with a restaurant, coffee shop and cafeteria hall! We decided to go on a walk the next morning to view the sunrise and it only took us about 15 minutes from our campsite! Hiking down and back up the South Kaibab trail was a treat for the both of us as we got engaged near mid-point! The hike down was easy, but going back up was tough! Be sure to pack lots of water and carry minimally, and abide by the signs. The views are incredible and the park staff were all very nice! The weather during March was a bit nippy at night inside the tent, but during the day it warmed up. We can’t wait to go back and experience Horseshoe Bend!

Ranger Review of Aftershokz headphones at Lockett Meadow Dispersed in AZ

Lockett Meadow is supposed to be gorgeous, and that's why I picked this location for camping, but when I got there, the main campground was closed (which is why I gave it 4 stars). But interestingly, there was a ton of dispersed camping, for free, between the main highway and the campground itself. So I found a spot, and stayed a while. Unexpected bliss!

CAMPGROUND REVIEW:

I had wanted to experience the ambiance I'd read about Lockett Meadow online. The photos of the meadow and the space between the mountains looked incredible! Not to mention the idea that I could hike some trails and maybe catch a glimpse of some elk, and who wouldn't love that?? But alas, that was to be for another day. Just at the entrance to the road that led to the camp, there was a CLOSED sign. sigh Disappointment. But it wasn't terrible, because there was a ton of dispersed camping in the 1/2 mile that led into the area. It was kind of strange, though. Not advertised. Not clear what is going on. Just a bunch of apparent campsites with established campfire rings that look like they are ready for tenants. I guess this is more common in AZ than where I'm from in MN. Lots of places offer this type of camping. Just like they say…when in Rome, I mean when in Flagstaff.

It was kind of odd, at first, until I saw that other people were taking advantage of this situation too. Then I felt better about "popping a squat" and using the resources around me. It was primitive camping, but there were plenty of spaces for everyone (and tons of hammock trees!). I was still careful of my surroundings, since I was alone, but that's just common sense anywhere you go. I chose a spot that already had some fire wood and I made myself at home. The spaces were decently spaced, and with only a handful of occupants that night, everyone chose space away from each other. I could see my neighbor, but it wasn't intrusive. And it was very quiet. Something that's rare at campgrounds! And super pretty. With plenty of space for my tent, ability to pull my car to the campsite (it was windy and I wanted a little wind break) and lovely night sounds that weren't "human" related. Delightfully perfect!

GEAR REVIEW:

As Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the incredibly awesome chance to review amazing gear in exchange for an honest review. This time, I had the pleasure of trying out a pair of unique headphones called Aftershokz Trekz Air.

The product, right out of the package, is gorgeous, sleek and almost sexy. It's and earthy, rich color (I chose the blue), comes with a sleek carry case, and the cords to plug it in. It even had a charge that allowed you to try it out, right from the get-go, out of the box. So of course, I got down to business and hooked them up!

These things are totally different than anything you've experienced before. They don't go in your ear, but beside your ear. Weird, right? They wrap around the back of your head, and are super light. Mostly because they've used Titanium anywhere they can to make these things something you want to put on, want to keep, want to use. Now, that said, I think they take getting used to. I need to mess with them more to get comfortable with them because I'm not sure I had them positioned quite right. I had to have the volume cranked to get it sounding nice (no, I don't listen to loud music), but then the vibration on my jaw is almost ticklish! But that said, they work, and that was a very interesting experience! To hear something through my headphones, but without anything in my ear. They rest on your jawbone and the sound vibration is conducted into your inner ear through your jawbone. They say this makes them great for people with hearing issues because it bypasses the ear canal. Such an interesting and fantastic experience. However, I'm not sure they are for me. I'm confused about why there is still sound coming out of the headphones if they are supposed to let me "listen" through vibration. If I pull them away from my ear (no contact at all) I still hear sound. And the wrap around is too large for my head (do I have a tiny head??). They float above my ears and behind my head. Makes them uncomfortable for me to wear. Maybe if I had a ponytail (my hair is short) I could rest them there and make them more comfortable.

They come with earplugs, too, in case you want a more "traditional" experience, but if you have earphones like this, doesn't that blow the concept right out the window anyhow? Experience the technology! And they are IP55, so they are sweat, moisture and dust resistant. Perfect for that workout, or when you nap, in your hammock, in the rain! They weren't quite my style, but they might be perfect for you!

Take the time to appreciate the things in life that don't go as planned, and you might find the "road less traveled" is worth it's weight in gold! And while you're at it, try at pair of Aftershokz Trekz Air to sooth you while you find your camping bilss! They have a great warranty and might be just what you need to complete your adventure.

National Forest Camping

So we didn’t actually stay at the campsite, we camped a few miles down the road from the campsite. We have done it multiple times and love it. You aren’t on a campground with multiple people and are only a few miles from bathrooms and the beautiful lake. Bathrooms aren’t overly nice, but better than nothing. Water is available at the lake. Decent fishing, plenty of crawdads to catch and eat during the summer months! They do have a boat ramp and we have brought our kayak before. Williams is a cute small town. One of our favorite places to camp!

Small But Cozy

It was a smaller KOA camp than most. But there were only a few people there in the middle of November, which made it nice for feeling “away” from the world and not having to wait for bathrooms. Any where that’s not inside is great, but it was more of a high desert terrain than woodlands like I was hoping, however that was my error for not looking into it more. They provide a small heater for the cabins, so if you go during the winter season be sure to bring warm clothes and warm blankets! Clean, and friendly facility, nice bathrooms.

Cozy but...

The campsite was cozy but you have to pay $2 in quarters for a "18min" shower which was more like 10mins. There was quite a bit of trash around the site. We picked up and threw away what we could. We camped there on a Monday then backpacked in the grand canyon and came back to Mather on thursday. Not very quite but great if you're wanting a cheap in the park option for sleeping.

No easy feat to get a reservation, but persistence pays off!

If you win the lottery, this is the place to stay!

Let me clarify. This place is amazing, but the only way to get here it by winning a random lottery for a room (link is HERE). It's such a popular location (for incredibly good reason), that you have to enter a lottery, pick some dates, and cross your fingers. All 3 adults in our group entered, and one of us was picked. Hip hip hooray!

It's located on Bright Angel Creek, just a little bit from the Colorado River. In order to get to Phantom Ranch, you have to be insane enough to want to travel down inside the earth about a mile (most people call this the Grand Canyon), in the sun, covered in red dirt, with your backpack, and enough salty snacks and water to feed an elephant (or you can rent a ride on the mules) That said, if you have the drive and insanity and muscles to get you there, the reward is awesome lemonade, night time ranger talks, conversations with mules (because you might just be that tired at the end of the night), unbelievable experiences meeting other fellow hikers, and delicious comfort food.

Okay, now you can't possibly expect the Ritz when you get here. It's not about that. It's not even close, but it's 5 star in a totally different way. Keep in mind, that this Ranch has been here since the early 1920's. And supplies were either local to the area at the bottom, or brought by mule. So it's not fancy.

What to expect: There are a few ways to stay at Phantom Ranch. First are dorms. There are about 10 bunks per dorm, and it's women and men. Women in one, men in the other. Each dorm has a toilet with a door (modern plumbing) and a shower with hot water. There is also a sink. Each person claims a bunk and that's theirs for their stay. The other way is to rent a cabin. More expensive, but more private. If you rent the cabin, you and yours are the only ones sharing it. Because it's "out of the way", not all the modern conveniences work all the time. So expect it to be a little rustic, but it's all part of the experience. The cabins and dorms have air and heat, so it's a more comfortable experience than camping in a tent.

There is potable water scattered around, a few composting toilets if you are away from your cabin, picnic tables, two outdoor amphitheaters (normally a daytime ranger program at one, and a night program at the other). Inside the canteen you can purchase drinks (alcoholic and non), hiking essentials (toothbrush, sunscreen, salve, etc) and a selection of souvenirs. They even have a little library of books to read, and games that you can borrow and play.

There are some meals available, but you need to order them in advance (or check with them each day to see if they have enough for you to order it). The two evening meals are beef stew and steak. Not cheap, but so worth it! They come with fixings like cornbread, veggies and such, and always dessert. You can also order a veggie option. Breakfast is family style (as is dinner) and was pancakes, bacon, eggs etc when we were there. Coffee and juice too. There aren't many options, but think about it…all the groceries have to be delivered by mule. Make sense? Breakfast is offered at 2 different times (your choice) so you can get hiking early, if you want. Dinner is at different times, too, depending on what you order.

While you are there, you can buy a postcard and have it mailed from the Ranch, by mule! Cool little way to tell your loved ones "look what I did!".

So much to say about this "little piece of wonderful"! You really just have to see it for yourself!

NOTE: please read up on traveling to the bottom of the canyon before you go. Make wise choices about what time of year you want to travel. It was April when we went, and although it was about 50 degrees at the South Rim, it was close to 90 degrees at the bottom. In the summer, they said it can get to about 120 degrees in the shade. So please plan accordingly for snacks, water, travel, clothing choices and temperature

Nice respite from the Sonoran Desert heat

In the off season, this sweet little national forest campground is a quiet oasis in one of the beautiful “islands of the sky” which are scattered throughout Arizona.  Up at 5000 feet, this place becomes a busy retreat for Tucsonians seeking to escape some of the summertime heat, according to the park ranger we spoke too. It's also a haven for birds!

The campground has designated section for RV’s and tents, though they are same price at just $10 per night.  Many pull-through sites are available for larger RV’s, as well as some back in spots. Each site has a HUGE cement picnic table and fire ring and are a nice size with plenty of space between sites. There are trash cans (though no recycling) throughout the campground, and a water spigot near the very clean pit toilets, thanks to the dedicated and very friendly camp hosts.  The tent sites overlook the Parker Canyon Lake and are quite spacious. There are few tent sites for groups too.

There is a nice boat dock, as well as small store near the water that sells snacks/drinks, bait, and a few camping necessities.  You can rent kayaks, paddle boats, SUPs, sailboats and small motorized fishing boats…or bring your own. There is also a nice and easy trail that follows the lake shore for about 6 miles, accessible to both hikers and mountain bikers.  From the lake trail, you can also access the Arizona Scenic Trail (the southern terminus is about 15 miles south of the lake). We also saw quite a few fisherman out enjoying the lake during mid-week.

The closest grocery stores and gas stations are in Sonoita, about 30 miles away.  Cell coverage is limited here as you are very close to the Mexican border – none in RV campground, just a bit of coverage in the tent campground.

Hard to reach, and you have to have a permit, but amazing!

We didn't have the pleasure of staying at Bright Angel Campground, because we had bunks a Phantom Ranch, but what an amazing place to stay! At the bottom of the canyon, how many people get to say they've been there?

It's hard to get there, since you have to hike over a mile down into the earth to find it, but if you've reserved your spot in advance, it's an amazing opportunity! You MUST have a permit to stay at this campground, and it takes months to get one, so please plan in advance.

You can not hike down and get a spot at the campground. You have to have a permit.

Cost: $10 for the permit and $8 per person with 30 sites for small groups (1 to 2 tents) and 2 spots for larger groups (up to 7 tents, I think)

Once you have a permit, and arrive at the campground, it is first come first serve to pick a spot.

The sites aren't terribly private, but they are incredibly unique. Each features a spot on the water, or just across the trail from the water, and it's on the Bright Angel Creek, just a half mile from the Little Colorado River. Each site also had a lock box (like a cooler with latches) for food to keep it from the ravenous, and none to shy, squirrels, as well as a metal "T" post for hanging your packs and shoes. NOTE: Keep your packs UNZIPPED so that the squirrels don't chew holes into them, if they manage to pull circus stunts and find them on the poles. The cool part? Those poles are part of the old telephone line/system in the canyon! Great little piece of history being repurposed!

I assume that everyone at the bottom has the stamina and gumption to get there, so they respect everyone else that did too. And those that were crazy enough to try, without athletic ability, have a newfound insane appreciation for what it takes to do it at all, and respects everyone even more, so privacy at the campsites isn't an issue. It's a privilege to be there at all.

There are bathrooms, potable water, emergency phone, boat beach for soaking tired feet in icy water, ranger station and lots of good company. I highly recommend it, if you are just crazy enough to try. You won't regret the memories!

Favorite camping spot in Sedona

Love cave springs it’s my favorite spot it’s clean and well cared for has some awesome nearby hikes and the creek is right along here.

An unexpected gem!

After four failed attempts to find a place to land for the night (two campgrounds not yet open for the season in mid-April and two dispersed sites that would not have been navigable in our low clearance van), we would have camped just about anywhere! Fortunately there were spots available here and we were greeted by a super friendly and welcoming camp host. Sites were all flat with tent pads; most had decent privacy between sites. All have fire rings, large picnic tables in good shape, grills, and lantern hooks. Vault toilets were clean. Artesian well that some reviews said the water quality was questionable; camp host says she drinks it but others do not. We filled up our water jugs and will give it a go. If it weren’t for the proximity to the road (89A) and the noise that goes with it (site 18 you might as well BE in the road!), I would have given this place 5 stars! For $11 (50% off with senior pass), this place was perfect for us!

Quiet and flat

It seems like the campground might be crowded, and you can see your neighbors in most sites, but there are trees and some privacy. Deer wander through, too, which is fun. There and sidewalks for the children to ride bikes and scooters. It can be a bit of a walk to reach the shuttle, but it’s worth the effort to avoid parking.

Great place.

Full hookups and nice sites. RR clean and fairly close, dependent on where in park you are located but not a far walk.

Great RV park

Have stayed several times. A little pricy but worth it.

Great location

April was pretty cold at the Grand Canyon and we weren’t super prepared to have snow but it was a great location. Trails in the canyon and around the rim we’re close. There was a grocery store in the park and not too far from the campground. The facilities were very well kept. The camp spots were pretty open and were lacking in privacy but that’s not abnormal for a national park.

Great weekend getaway

Flagstaff is a wonderful mountain town. We live in Phoenix and sometimes it’s nice to get out of town and see trees! This KOA is nice. The sites are a bit small but there’s so much to see in the area that it didn’t matter.

Favorite spot to camp

Short drive to rim lakes and weather is usually picture perfect here.

Right outside the gates of Grand Canyon National Park!
  • Great boondocking campground 5 miles from the entrance of Grand Canyon National Park! First come first serve.
  • Super convenient to the town of Tasayan for supplies and food.
  • A great alternative if you couldn't get reservations for campgrounds in the area. It's hard to believe this place is FREE!
  • North of the Tusayan Ranger District and under a mile from the South Entrance Ranger Station. Walking distance from lots of things
  • You can see the campgrounds from the main highway so it can get a little noisy and headlights can be a little distracting in the evenings
  • It's a dirt road getting in and can be super muddy during wetter seasons. A lot of people have gotten stuck in the mud. 4 wheel drive is highly recommended.
  • Because it was so muddy when we were here, it was a little difficult finding a flat/dry/level spot to pitch a tent. This place is ideal for RV/trailer camping
  • Warning: Lots of generators running throughout the evening. Bring earbuds
  • Fires are allowed and some sites have firepits. Lots of found wood lying around that can be used as well.
  • There are plenty of areas to camp (definitely can accommodate at least 20 different groups) and you'll even have space to spread your legs.
  • There are lots of trees in the area so I'd imagine there'd be nice shade during hotter weather.
  • Not as secluded as other boondock sites we've been to, but you can't beat the close proximity to the Park.
  • No showers, toilets, running water.
  • Practice LNT and pack in pack out. This place had some trash lying around and you can definitely tell it's heavily used. Help pick up trash if you see any and leave the place better than you found it.
  • Great cell service with AT&T

We absolutely LOVED camping here. We were able to enter Grand Canyon National Park super early before the crowds and enjoy the views uninterrrupted. This is such a great spot to camp for anyone on a budget who is just looking for a place to rest their head. We couldn't believe how close this was to the Park and that it was completely free. It's also quite beautiful if you can get past the mud and loud humming of generators. If you're in an RV, this place is the dream. We woke up the next morning to the entire campground covered in snow. It was absolutely stunning! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Closed down

This has been closed for several years