Kaibab National Forest, ARIZONA

Most Recent Kaibab National Forest Camping Reviews
Zero

Zero do not stay

Horrible

We paid for a premium deluxe site Propane tank was empty so we couldn’t grill dinner We bought wet firewood from campground to try to grill supper The site was unkept w piles of pine needles It needed a lot of upkeep Needed the pavers replaced it was an extremely hazardous situation tripping hazard as one of our party members had just had ankle surgery Giant piles of pine needles knee high by trash cans at site. Went to dump our tanks in the am and the sewer was clogged We have stayed here several times We will not return due to the rude manager girl in the office.

Free & Quiet

Snow when we arrived at night, but there were a few RVs and campers just north of the exit and off the road. You could head back further and get quieter.

Peaceful in late April

Great camp site for tent campers!

Poor

We reserved a premium site No gas in the bbq had to purchase firewood for our grill to make supper The site was not level and horrible! 3 huge piles of pine needles the bricks for the patio were not level and tilted over on the edge (someone can hurt themselves) The morning we decided to drain our grey water thank god we didn’t pull the black water the drain was clogged ! We were extremely disappointed The evening staff was great the morning staff was out of control

Such an amazing site!

We got to drive straight up to the cliff-face and camp out for the night. We woke up to an amazing view and it was just a great view over Sedona and the beautiful landscape!

Right in the middle of it all

Tight quarters amongst other RVs but you can’t beat the proximity to the rim. A 5 minute bike ride and you can cruise along the south rim. The free shuttle bus is also a great way to hop along and see the various highlights. We’d stay here again!

Amazing

My dream has come true

Love this campground

I have stayed in May and mid October. Both times were perfect. Clean and nice. Mule deer wander through, Ravens appear as well. Close to shuttle stop and General Store.

Awesome night of Car camping

Found a spot very easily, even at night. Had plenty of space for large or small groups. Far enough out of the city to be peaceful, but close enough to be an easy drive into town!

Camped out for the Overland Expo

Had an awesome time camping with some fellow Overlander's! Plenty of campsites with lots of trees for hammocks, and plenty of ground space for tents and cars. Nice fire rings are available, water spouts, as well as portable bathrooms right near the campsite. The campsites are surrounded by trees, but it can be windy.

Great Experience, right by the Canyon.

We stayed in the large-group campsites, and it was very nice with plenty of space for our group. We were able to have a nice fire and were only a few minutes from the Grand Canyon where we got to take sunset photos.

Convenient location, typical RV park

Williams, AZ was in the right location for us to stop in at this park for a few days. We ended up getting some work done on the RV and stayed longer than we originally planned! This is a typical RV park. It is nice that it is right in town so everything is super close. It made grocery runs super easy. There is also a hotel that the property owns and you are welcome to use the hotel amenities if you are a guest in the RV park. They have a train that leaves from here to go to the Grand Canyon. We didn’t do it, but it is really popular. They even have a kennel on site so if you take the train you can kennel your dog. We used Passport America and it made the rate really affordable for what it is. With temperatures below 15 degrees, we are happy to have hookups to run our space heater! The sites are full hookup and there is a nice bathroom/shower facility on site too.

Grand Canyon Camping at its Best

Mather Campground is a 15min walk from the south rim trail. There are lots of campsite but they fill up quickly so make a reservation. There’s a store, laundry and shower facility for the campers but it can be a walk from a distant campsite. Make sure you check in when you arrive.

Cell Service: Slow, Roaming, Verizon.

Ranger Review: Banner and Oak Neck Gaiter at Pumphouse Wash

Campground Review:

Couple things to say about this campground… it's dispersed but in numbered lots and unless you have a high clearance 4x4 you must enter from West (89A). The road continues through to I-17 but crosses a few washes that would be rough for anything shorter than a stock 4runner. (Mine has a 3 inch lift). No big rocks to climb; just big tire swallowing ruts.

Product Review:

First time owning or using a neck gaiter. I'm on the bigger side so is not likely I'll wear it when I'm not actually using it. When I was using it for dust control it was great. Out on the trails I get passed by side-by-sides all the time. My 4runner can go almost anywhere but on the slower side. So I'm frequently sucking side-by-side dust. I'm not upset enough by it to roll up my windows. (Can't miss out on the smell of the mountains.) The neck gaiter helped me cut down on the dust I inhaled while still enjoying the crisp air.

Fall Colors in Sedona!

We had a great experience in Cave Springs. Beautiful sites with privacy, great amenities, helpful staff, and proximity to everything Sedona. Protect food from Skunks. Bring a hammock. Lots of trees to hammock camp here.

Great campsite

Perfect campsite for last minute camping trips. I always stop here before heading to flagstaff for snowboarding. Great campsite to see. Make sure you take out your trash and don’t leave it on the ground. Other then that a beautiful campsite with tons of the trees.

Central to south rim and all its glory

Large well maintained campground in the heart of the south rim. You can expect all the usual NPS services and amenities- fire pit, picnic table, pit bathrooms and many many families on vacation.

The location at the heart of south rim is great and unbeatable and makes the strangers kids shouts worth it.

Loved this campground

I took away one star because there is no showers.  This was our favorite campground on our trip through Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon and Sedona.  We were tent camping.  The campground was very quite and the tent sites level with table and fire pit.  There are pit toilets which can really smell bad in the summer.  It was really cold when we were there and we were across from the toilets and it was not a problem.  In the summer I would make sure to pick a site far away from the toilets.  This place was much nicer than the Park campgrounds we stayed in.  Also there is a small town near by for food and restaurants.  Only a short drive to the South Rim.

Sedona at it's best!

Cannot get enough of this place! Beautiful campground hidden amongst tall pine trees and nestled between a mountain and A creek. The pit toilets are the cleanest I ever seen, very well vented so no smells. The camp sites are not very spacious so u will hv to choose them carefully if u are bringing an RV. All back in parking no pull thrus. The hosts and rangers are very friendly and informative.

Staff is friendly, informative and the grounds are meticulous. Not to mention the obvious of the soul of Sedona! Bubbling creek, fishing and wonders of nature. Love to visit again.

Great location, a little noisy.

Great location, no reservation needed, but you do need to get there pretty early for a spot. Camping spots are really spacious. A little noisy. Bathrooms were clean and stocked other than soap.

Close to Sedona but worlds apart!

Stopped here on our way back to California from Colorado. It was the middle of August so we were looking for somewhere with some water and shade and we found both. It is definitely a popular campground with lots of families but if you can get a spot it is an amazing little retreat. We were tent camping and had plenty of shade and only a short walk to the creek (it is a creek not a river but still nice to put your feet in and cool down). Put toilets but they were well maintained for how crowded the campground was. Despite the crowds, a lot of the campgrounds are decent size and even if not secluded give you some space. Not my favorite destination but for the area and price it was amazing.

Great & quiet but close to the Grand Canyon!

Large campsite with lots of shade and space between sites. Several toilets as well as fire pits and grills at each site. Best thing is the proximity to the park without the crowds!

Good free camping

Off the beaten path, plenty of camping available.

Good free camping

Off the beaten path, plenty of camping available.

Great free site but...

Great place to camp near the pay for sites but it’s near the road and a lot of the sites are on a slope.

Great free site but...

Remote & Peaceful

Free Camping. Great place to get away from the Phoenix summer heat. The first half mile past the houses off I40 seem to be where the long stay (14) day RV and trailers camp out. If you continue up the mountain past them you can find the more dispersed camping away from others. It is very quiet up there and in August the temps were around 50 in the morning and around 80 during the day. The reason for only 4 stars is the bees. Not sure if they are burrow bees or not but they were everywhere and took over all water sources so keep that in mind. Also cattle go through the woods so don’t be shocked when you wake up to a a few 700lb cows in your campsite.

Morning Glory Yurt

We stayed here over Labor Day weekend 2019. We had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the most remote yurt, Morning Glory. Morning Glory has great views and several people (staff and other visitors on the trails) mentioned that Morning Glory is the best yurt to stay in since it is both remote and it has amazing views of the San Francisco Peaks. Additionally, Morning Glory is also placed in the middle of a field with a nearby bench which is also really nice and makes this particular yurt feel serene. Arizona Nordic Village, previously known as Flagstaff Nordic Center, has a lodge, front country cabins and yurts (which are all within a few hundred feet of the lodge and nearby the highway), as well as back country yurts that range 1-3 miles away from the lodge (Morning Glory is a back country yurt). For the back country, AZNV offers gear shuttles at an extra cost of $40. However we packed all of our belongings in since we were not staying for more than a few days. Yurts and cabins come with a battery operated light inside, a propane grill and stove next to the cabin, porta potty a few yards away, nearby picnic table, 2 twin sized sleeping mats, and 2-4 folding chairs (2 in small yurts; 4 in large yurts), a small trey table, and stove (and stove brush and pan to clean ash out), and a fire ring. From what I can tell they also give you some firewood and a 7-gallon jug of water to put out your fire. For an additional cost you can purchase additional wood, which I did since I was unaware they would supply some firewood, but we hardly used this since we did not require the stove in the cabin since the weather at night is in the 50’s. We did try the stove out and found that 4 pieces of wood heated the cabin up a considerable amount within the span of a few minutes. After booking you get a confirmation email with details for your trip. The day of check in I got a courtesy call and was told I could stop in the lodge at check in for a nap and more info. The staff we encountered were all super friendly. We were told there is a black bear that roams the area but we did not see it and heard the bear usually does not make its way up to Morning Glory. Additionally, while vehicle are not allowed in the Forrest, Morning Glory is near a Forrest fire road which had some vehicles on it; I’m not sure that this is common— may have been due to the long holiday weekend. Additionally, I believe AZNV has one or two trucks and ATVs they use to help transport gear. Overall, I had fun and would go back. I don’t love paying for camping (We usually do free dispersed camping and pitch a tent), however this area is fun enough I would go back. The yurt experience was on par for what we are used to when it comes to camping, but it was nice not having to pitch a tent, blow up an air mattress, etc. Lastly, they do haul out your trash for you. I do recommend bringing baby wipes since the trails are dusty, and a headlamp for at night.

Cell service: I have Verizon and had four bars at the Morning Glory yurt and service at the lodge— however, service between the two was spotty.

Amazing!!!

This site was amazing and the host were so nice!! It was one of the quietest camps sites we been to in awhile and close to the lake and town.