Kaibab National Forest, ARIZONA

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Kaibab National Forest Camping Reviews
Lava Flow Gallery

We wanted to visit Sunset Crater and we found this campground just across the street from the crater.

In addition to being able to see this beautiful sunset cone, there are underground lava flows everywhere in this area. We were able to chat with a ranger and explore one (wear layers, it is COLD in them).

The campsites are large enough for a group of people (8 people) and they have wheelchair accessible camping and picnic tables.

There is water on site and they have flush toilets in clean bathrooms. We didn't spend much time at the campground itself due to all the exploring we wanted to do, but it worked great and was very quiet for our crew.

Perfect Location to Explore the Canyon

This campground is right next to the Rim walk and village so it is the perfect basecamp for heading into the canyon.

There are bathrooms, firewood, separated sites, multiple loops, and large sites. We were able to do a group camp here multiple times. Feb, May, and October.

Be prepared for wildlife and crazy weather though. It snowed in May and was 80 degrees in October. There is always a constant flow of people coming in and out of the park so it was nice to have a bit of quiet in the campground just knowing what was on the other side of the trees.

The bathrooms are well taken care of and if you are missing anything you can hit up the general store to grab it…including ice cream after a long hike. This campground is perfect for the new camper. It has EVERYTHING you may need.

The Grand Canyon shuttle is really helpful for traveling to Hermit's gulch quickly bit otherwise they designed this campground great for getting around easily.

I would advise booking as far in advance as you can get! During Winter months the hiker/biker sites aren't available but normally they are $15. During the Winter months the tent sites are only $18 and are usually available last minute. Summer costs jump up to about $50 per night.

Slide Rock State Park in Oak Creek Canyon

This park & campground is part of Slide Rock State Park in Oak Creek Canyon, which is in Sedona, AZ.  My friend & I stayed at the Slide Rock Lodge down the road & we ate our meals here before & after hiking the Oak Creek in the Canyon.  We took some great photos of the structures along the top ridge & saw what looked like an ancient Native American settlement.

It was a beautiful day & a wicked awesome river hike!  This hiking trip was actually in May 2007 but I remember it like it was yesterday.  It made a huge impression on me, especially since we hiked the Virgin River & Orderville Canyon in Zion National Park the next day.

I will upload photos later.

Perfect free spot just minutes from GCNP and Civilized conveniences

This was essentially our basecamp for our Grand Canyon Visit. Really close to anything you could need and your entrance to GCNP is covered for a week after paying the one time. Could not for the life of me find public water to refill my potable anywhere in GCNP, ended up getting a fill-up from the Tusayan FD. The general store at GC doesn't disappoint though, I got a decent camp chair and a new water receptacle for a great price, and breakfast at El Tovar in the park is highly recommended. You're almost guaranteed to see wildlife, especially elk. The elk calls at night can be eerie, but peaceful. Noticed A LOT of trash that I wish I could have picked up if we had room. Even some poorly-thought-out latrines. Do better, people.

Shot of us leaving camp and shortly after, the pup having issues with Smokey

Older, but well maintained. Didn't have any problems.

Beautiful location

Just next to the stream, perfectly secluded with decent bathrooms. However don’t recommend going in the winter, there was an unexpected snowstorm and our tent collapsed, our mistake!

Best spot on the creek

This campground is beautiful. We checked in with the camp host, who was very kind and helpful, and set up. The creek running by the campsites is amazing. The campground also sells firewood if you happen to forget it. Vault toilets were very clean. We will definitely stay again.

Zero

Zero do not stay

Horrible

We paid for a premium deluxe site Propane tank was empty so we couldn’t grill dinner We bought wet firewood from campground to try to grill supper The site was unkept w piles of pine needles It needed a lot of upkeep Needed the pavers replaced it was an extremely hazardous situation tripping hazard as one of our party members had just had ankle surgery Giant piles of pine needles knee high by trash cans at site. Went to dump our tanks in the am and the sewer was clogged We have stayed here several times We will not return due to the rude manager girl in the office.

Free & Quiet

Snow when we arrived at night, but there were a few RVs and campers just north of the exit and off the road. You could head back further and get quieter.