Tonto National Forest, ARIZONA

Camping Arizona Tonto National Forest

Most Recent Tonto National Forest Camping Reviews
Ridiculous

The area itself is reasonably nice desert camping. Lots and lots of spots in both the AZ State Trust land (permit required) and the BLM land.

Pros -Lots of fire rings made from rocks in almost every spot. -Room to spread out. -Free.

Cons -The road coming in is the worst washboarding i have ever seen. Like the worst. Almost un-drivable…and I’ve been down a lot of rutted roads that require high clearance. I didn’t need clearance, i needs a road that isn’t ridiculous. -There is a quarry or something at the end of the road, which you wouldn’t think would matter, but starting at 4:00am…giant, and i mean GIANT rock hauler semi trucks started barreling down the washboarded road every 5-10 minutes until we packed up and left a day early at 10:00am because we couldn’t take the noise anymore. These trucks go down the road at 45mph and just absolutely SHAKE the ground and roar with noises. It was the most absurd thing that had ever happened to me while camping. Do not go here for peaceful camping.

LOVE LOVE LOVE

The greatest RV park I’ve stayed at and I’ve been traveling for 5 years. The office gals and owner were so great. The price was reasonable. The pool was great. The spots are a little close together and 1/2 of the laundry machines were out but all the other stuff made up for it. It’s a great park. If you’re in the north PHX area, I would highly recommend this park.

Not good...

All of the campsights and rv sights feel like they are inches apart. The campground has a $25 "cleaning" fee if you leave it dirty. however, we water bottles in the stand up grill and multiple tent spikes sticking half way out of the ground. The bathrooms were atrocious. You could smell them at least 40 feet out and there was vomit in the sink…. Only reason this gets two stars is for the lake. You can get a waterfront sight and spend the weekend just fishing.

Our maiden voyage!

Made good memories here with my son test driving our COViD bubble travel tank(is motorhome). Love this spot- but road up from Phoenix is very busy unless you time it. Place has resort amenities and nice size lots. Great pool!

One of the prettiest AZ state parks there is!

This is by far one of the prettiest AZ state parks I have camped at and I've been to most of them. This place is only about 30 minutes from my house, how lucky am I!

I was there in late January and the weather was comfy in the day and cool- cold at night. It is a very windy place, so make sure to tie everything down and have some sort of wind shelter in the afternoon if your not hiking and just hanging out at camp. The hiking is plentiful, the people around are nice, the views are awesome and there are plenty of wild life to see. Going back in November… Can't wait

So cute and unique

I stayed here for almost a month and the park is so cute, tons of work has been done on it to make it truly fabulous. I brought my car on the trip but didn’t need it as I biked and walked mostly everywhere. This is a Phenomenal location, I have friends who live in north scottsdale and they say it’s the only park of its kind and the only trailer park serving the carefree area, where I came to work. I will definitely be back if they have availability, next time I want to try out staying in one of the vintage trailers they have been fixing up.

Clean, safe and well maintained overnight stop.

Really happy with this koa journey. Thoughtfully organized with large pull through spots, picnic tables and loca cactus flare. Good for a roadtrip stop.

Wide open spaces

Very nice clean campground and extremely private! No sewer, however electric and water are available and conveniently located. NO shade however and in the summer it is HOT! Desert surround's and lots you singing coyotes at night and early morning! Huge sites with picnic tables and fire rings. Restroom are big and well cleaned. Love this park!

Lost Dutchman State Park

4/23-26, 2019 Had a great time. See pictures and at-a-glance details in RV Camping Journal pictured here.

Great Weekend

Took a weekend girls trip. Amazing views, clean grounds, super space! Will be going back this weekend!