Nestoria , MICHIGAN

Most Recent Nestoria Camping Reviews
Off the beaten path

On the water. Lots of deer and turkeys. Heard wolves at night. It was great!

Super secluded

Several great sites to tent camp. Caught some blue gills. Good times

Great base camp

So in all fairness this was just a overnight stop for us traveling between Petoskey MI and Silver Bay MN.  We arrived late since we had spent the day on Mackinac Island, but the camp host was nice enough to touch base with us while on the road and make sure everything was ready for our arrival.  Due to the early freezing weather, water and sewer had been unexpectedly, but understandably, disconnected, but they made sure to have a hose ready for us to fill our tank (and the dump station still worked when we left).  She set us up in a big spot with a huge firepit (we actually had 2 spots for the night) and had wood ready for us.  We had a nice quick fire that night while we setup and made dinner.  The next morning it was lightly snowing so we had a fire and breakfast in the falling snow.  We did not get any chance to actually enjoy the area but it seemed like it would be a great place.  Bathhouse was very clean and so was the campground.  Met the owner the in the morning who was extremely nice and helpful in pointing things out and what to do.  If we ever make it to the UP again we would definitely stay (and longer).  He originally set this place up as a hunt camp but people started to want to stay during non-hunting season so he is open till it freezes and opens memorial Day weekend.

PROS:  Nice sized sites

Right out of town but still in the woods

Close to river hiking trails

CONS: Didn't really spend enough time there to see anything negative

Family-Friendly

I went to Pentoga many years as a kid, always a good time.  They have a decent playground and camp store, the beach is great for swimming and the lake for fishing.  They have a dock to jump off about 50' out, and another with a diving board about 200' out.  There are trails and a lot of history to discover, it is quite crowded though…

Excellent Escape!

If you're looking for an off-the-grid escape this is it.  The hike-in/paddle in camping spots are equipped with a picnic table and a firepit, everything else is up to you.  I have been going here yearly for the last 10ys and absolutely love it!  The only downside is the fishing has gone downhill the last 3ys, the bass used to bite every cast…

Wish we could have stayed longer!

During our trip through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan this was one of my favorite campgrounds. The only reason we didn't stay longer was fear of our rig not starting up again and leaving us stranded. This campground had LARGE campsites with 2 separate loops and plenty of room between campsites. There was only one other group at this campground on the second loop which we never saw. The road to this campground is gravel and is a very pretty drive winding through the woods. At night it is very surreal as the only sounds you hear are the ones you make and an empty night sky. The canopy tree cover makes it tough to see the night sky but there are openings where you can see the sky full of stars. The lake was very peaceful and calm. There were a couple of small docks at each of the campground loops. If you have dogs beware the lake bottom is heavy dark mud and can be troublesome getting off your dog if they decide to take a dip. They also have clean vaulted toilets which is always nice(just beware of large spiders). We would recommend staying at this campground for an extended stay!

Check out our blog at www.unnamedadventures.com and follow our journey on Facebook and Instagram or on our YouTube Channel at Unnamed Adventures.

Beautiful beyond belief

The hike in was one of the most beautiful switch back type hikes, with breathtaking views of the gorge on the way down, a quick hike to the top of gorge once you’re down, then look down and see the waterfalls!

Love it!

We stayed at this campground over the summer and really enjoyed our time there. There’s access to many of the local mountain bike trails directly from the campground. Overall the sites are good size and offer a decent amount of privacy. We walked around the campground and there are many sites that that we would like to try out at a different time. we also utilized the shower facilities as we have a pop up and they were clean and worked well for us. Overall we really have no complaints at this campground and will be back!

Why would anyone pay to stay here..

I will be totally transparent and say I definitely prefer rustic or dispersed campsites.. however, I always give state parks an honest chance.

Baraga State Park… I have tried. Ohh, have I tried to like you over the years.

However, this is the WORST example of what a Michigan DNR campground can be. They squeezed in WAY too many sites in this place. You can hear the campers next to you fart in their sleep.

Not even a stones throw from US-41 makes for constant road noise… and sites that have been submerged in water a day following rainfall. You always see campers here moving their tents, RV’s, etc… to drier portions of their sites.

The only reason I give this TWO stars is because of the well-kept and nice bathhouse.

I stop here solely to shower during my travels. I will stay on the side of the road before I set up camp here again.

Nice spot for car camping. About it though.

Like previous reviews say, this place is kinda just “there”…

Absolutely no privacy between sites, hardly any tree cover, ground was thick mud when I arrived. Not to mention the lake access isn’t really enjoyable.

If you wanna pay for a spot to sleep in your car- that’s about all this place is good for.