Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 50 ft.
Orchard Beach is located in Michigan
21 Reviews of Orchard Beach
Up north camping

Great campground. Very well maintained. Nice spacious sites, not a ton of trees. There is a nice hiking trail across the street. Only drawback is that there is not beach here anymore. You have to drive to get to the lake, erosion has completely caused the beach access to disappear.

Very expensive for what you get, especially for out-of-state visitors.

A 30 Amp electric only, water & dump available site costs $30 a night plus an $8 reservation fee. But in addition to renting a campsite for $30 a night, we were charged $34 for the privilege of driving our camper to that site, and another $34 because we tow a car behind the camper. The total for 7 nights was $286 or roughly $41 each night. But one draw to this park is unavailable: the park is situated on a cliff, overlooking Lake Michigan, but the stairway down to the water level is closed and it appears to have been closed for some time. You can look “out” over the lake but cannot look “down” to where the waves presumably crash onto the shore, nor can you get near the water. And most campsites are perpendicular to the road, thus your neighbors are essentially plastered against your camper windows. Lakeshore Road that leads to the park has little traffic, which is fortunate, as you can hear it well. We will not visit Michigan State Parks again.

Beautiful Scenery, Tight Quarters

This is a nice campground with beautiful scenic views. Although the sites tend to be on the smaller side and there is no privacy at the sites, it is fairly a quiet campground. The bathrooms were kept clean and the showers ran nice and warm. There are many trails in the area and a cute downtown with small touristy shops. Be sure to check out the Manistee Riverwalk!

Crowded camping

The bathrooms are clean, the staff is friendly, and the lake views are spectacular. Plus, the cute town of Manistee is nearby with three gorgeous public beaches, tasty restaurants, and ample shopping. Unfortunately, the sites are as compact and close together as possible. I usually enjoy the aroma of a campfire, but in the evening if all the sites are full, a smogtacular smoke cloud hovers over this campground - if you have breathing sensitivities then sleep will be difficult. Due to erosion, the stairs to the beach have been closed which forces campers to conglomerate even more closely together.

No Beach access anymore

Due to high waters the past few years there is no beach. This is still a family favorite and perfect if you want to go into Manistee.

One of our favorites

My husband and I grew up in Onekama. It was important for us to spend time with our kids near our favorite places and this park allowed us to do that. My favorite part is that we can see the sunset every night and go right across the street for some hiking! Our kids are grown up, but we have so many fond memories work time there and still enjoy camping there.

Stayed in cabin in this heavy RV park

We were here over July 4 in mini cabin. We had been back country camping before that so were happy to have a cabin for a couple nights. Mini cabin is at tip of park with nice view of lake Michigan sunsets. Cabin had mini fridge, coffee pot, ceiling fan, and I think a heater for winter. 2 sets of sturdy bunk beds. Camp sites were packed with RVs and tents. I don't think I've ever seen a more crowded camp ground. Many campers brought their own bikes, kayaks, boats so there must be lake access nearby but definitely not from this park. Beach inaccessible due to high lake waters. Outhouse was clean and well maintained. Showers a short walk away.

Weather put a damper

I only stayed here because it was really close to a race I was running. To be Honest, this place wasn’t overly impressive. The sites were really small and not wooded, the beach was really rocky and difficult to get to, and also it down poured majority of our visit. I’d give this place 3 stars at best, even if it hadn’t rained. There are so many better places to stay in the area, opt for one of those.

Beautiful view not a lot to do

We loved the views from this campground but the campground itself doesn't have much to do.

We went with a group of vintage campers so enjoyed our time and was nice to use the covered/enclosed pavilion area.

The stairs were closed so not able to access beach.

We loved doing the natural wonders tour while we were up there! Kids loved finding natural springs, seeing the over views, gravity hill and more! I highly recommend doing it if your visiting the area!

Lake Michigan Lookout

Not much to do other than looking at the beautiful Lake Michigan. Rocking as well. Off of a busy road. Great campground for landing along a route.

Year 2021 Flag