About Straits State Park
Straits State Park is located in Michigan
36 Reviews of Straits State Park
Busy campground

Very busy campground. Sites were small & packed close together. Extremely clean & family friendly. Has very nice hiking trails with views of the Mackinac Bridge. The campground is separated into 2 sections, I had a spot in the upper area. Campground was extremely full. Definitely want to make a reservation before you go.

Nice views

Small sites but the views are A+! We stayed here the night before completing the Great Lake Challenge and it was perfect distance from all the lakes we needed to get to! Morning view of the bridge was ON POINT and the night sky wasn’t too shabby either!

I miss this place!

We went there a couple of years ago for our anniversary. We loved the park and look forward to getting back someday!!!

One of my favorites

One of the things I love about Straits is that their waterfront bridge view sites are non electric, meaning they’re not overtaken by the big rigs! It’s a great place to pitch a tent and relax. I do prefer the vibe during the week to the crowdedness of the weekends, though. The bathrooms are updated and clean with some of the nicest showers in the Michigan State Park system!

Awesome view of mackinaw bridge

Beautiful state park, we always stop for a night when crossing the bridge.

Such a great park and beautiful scenery.

This park is just under the Big Mac Bridge as most of the Michigan State Parks are this is a great campground.  Only Electric Hook Ups but you can fill up on water on your way in.  The restrooms and showers are clean as is the whole park.  There are two main loops, a picnic area and a group campsite in fact 2 group campsites.  They have a baseball diamond and some hiking trails.

Speaking of hiking trails you can hike down to see the Mackinac Bridge and even hike out to the rest area on UP side of the bridge.  I love to hike to the two bridge look outs. one has a telescope and you can see the cars on the bridge.

They have playgrounds for the kids and a beach you can wade or swim in.  I thought is was a little cold but I saw some folks getting wet.

What to do beside spend some quality time in the park.

1. Visit the island for 1 or even 2 days. What Island?  Well Mackinac Island. That also has  state park on it.  Only feet, bikes and horses the only way to get around.  Well worth the boat trip over.

2. Visit St Ignace downtown and spend some time with the  people in the shops and listen to their stories.

3. The Cultural center is a great place to learn about the history and the Ojibwa culture http://www.museumofojibwaculture.net/index.html

4.  While you are still on the UP side of the bridge visit A Pastie place I would recommend Suzy's but I am partial to the chunks and am on the Ketchup team.

5.  Visit Mackinaw City on South Side of the Bridge it is a fun place to go and learn a lot.

Staying at the Straits State Park and you can use it as your base station for many great adventures in the UP.

Great View , Terrible Neighbors (2017 stay)

We were really excited about this campground but did not have a good experience. We had a beautiful view of the straights and bridge. The problem was we had the worst neighbors ever! We had a family camping behind us that had crap everywhere! I have never seen such a mess of a campsite. The mess I could have lived with but the cussing screaming, physical and verbal fighting that went on was horrible. With two young kids we couldn't be outside our camper and had to either be inside or out doing things away from site. When we reported the problem we were told there was nothing they could do as they had talked with them but the problems still continued and they didn't have a ranger there at the time.

We ended up leaving a day earlier than planned, they did give us full refund and apologized. The day we left we found out that what we were told was not accurate and the ranger that day was taking care of the problem. However it was too late for us at that point.

I think we had a unique situation and normally this would not have been an issue but was disappointed it wasn't handled as it should have been.

Will visit again

Beautiful camp looking at the great mighty Mac. Great spot for staying close to head to the island.

Clean and a great location

Clean park with hot showers, decent sized sites and a great base camp for exploring the Eastern UP, Mackinac Island or the Soo. Freighters pass, the bridge amazes and life was good. Some sites directly on the straits.

Amazing views

Really cool campsite for views. Other than that it’s a pretty okay site. It’s extremely close to st. Ignace which is nice.