Grand Haven, MICHIGAN

Most Recent Grand Haven Camping Reviews
Great area

Great area for camping especially if you want to go play on the dunes!

Beautiful and relaxing

This campground is our home away from home in the summer! It is beautiful & very relaxing especially during the weekdays when it's not as full. The bathrooms are clean & the rangers keep up with mowing & other chores to keep the grounds clean. When it gets crowded the wifi doesn't work great & some of the campers are not very respectful; they cut through lots & don't abide by the rules (no pets on beach & no bikes or skateboards on boardwalk). The rangers get after them when they see it. Gets frustrating because it ruins it for others who care about the park. The only other downfall is there isn't much beach because of the high water table. I wish they could dredge & bring in more sand. Otherwise it's our favorite place to be!

Great place!

Awesome campground! Very friendly staff. Super clean and updated bathrooms. On the kal-haven trail. All spots are pull through. And all spots are close to the bathrooms.

Pop up site

Our plan just to find an inexpensive and wild camp and road trip to explore northern Michigan . Stumble to this camp site at midnight after 7 hours drive ( and we stop in between for few breweries visit). This site is self pay and first first serve concept . We love scenery and lake view just right in front of our tent . It was nice two days stay for our road trip to explore northern Michigan

Woods and waters rv park Newaygo MI

Very family friendly park great cost and a great area with lots of kids activitys

Worst ever

Cant give it any stars. Sucks that I had to. They done deserve 1 star. They have very strict rules.  5mph.. If you go over the lady screams at you and evicts you. She did that to 2 people while we were there. Stop at stop signs.. No problem. And no glass bottles..ok.. We were there because we were working in the area. Once all jobs were done on Sunday we went bank to the campground to shower and get ready for dinner.( mind you, between work and all we were hardly at the campground). Not thinking twice my husband pulled a bottle if beer out of the cooler that we brought from home Friday. He drank about 3/4 of it and the lady came up on her golf cart. Yelled at him about the glass bottle. ( we completely forgot) he went to drink the last of it and she snatched it outta his hand. She asked us "What kind of people are ".. We said. We are so sorry. We forgot. She said when are you checking out. Told her the next day. She walked away. We left for dinner. While waiting for a table, her husband called us and told us to get out.over 1 bottle of beer. She is crazy. They have morning for kids to do. No pool. No lake. Crappy playground. I'll never go there again.

No Privacy

Sandwiched between the highway and a parallel road, there’s not much room for privacy or quiet. I’ve hear there’s moderate fishing in the lake and plenty of shade though.

My favorite place close to home

I love coming here a few times a year, it’s close to the highway but stay on the opposite side of the lake and it’s hardly noticeable. Excellent stop for a week or just for a night. Large playground for kids and excellent catch and release fishing.

Lots of fun for the kids!

Older campground that was converted to an Outdoor Adventures property. The Activity Pavilion always had stuff for the kids to do plus there was free mini golf and a $5 go cart track.

ALL TIME FAVORITE CAMPGROUND

I love how everyone is away from everyone and the staff is amazing. Favorite place to be in the summer. We go every year!

Nice campground overlooking Ellsworth lake. Lot are decent size but not real level. Restroom / shower house outdated but fairly clean.

A favorite

Hideaway is one of my favorite campgrounds. We were on a tent site, which was kind of small, but the campground was great.

They offer both tent and RV sites ranging in from rustic to full hookup and cabins. The bathrooms and showers are very nice and cleaned daily. There is laundry on site. They have a full store on the grounds for all your camping needs. With a restuarant counter inside the store that serves breakfast-dinner and hand scooped ice cream you don't even need to bring a cooler.

Minutes from Silver Lake Sand Dunes and Little Saubel State Park this is a perfect location. If the sandy beach isn't your ideal vacation the park also features a full size inground pool and lounge deck.

Campers returning after dusk use a key code to open the front gate of this secure campground. Unlike camping at Silver Lake State Park, this location is quietly tucked off the main, very busy stretch of town.

Great fun was had by all

We had a large family camp weekend at Stony Haven. We had 5 sites (21-25) pack to capacity with 32 people.  They owners allowed use to squeeze in a few extra bodies more than their policies specify.

They offer so much at the campground!! We rented bikes and tubes, but they also rent canoes & kayaks (including launch & pickup), pedal cars, yard games and wifi hotspots.  They have a nice playground with swings, a sandbox, slide and climbers.  Adjacent to the playground is a large pavilion with charcoal grills and a volleyball quart.

The tent sites were very nice. Well maintained, each with their own fire ring, a picnic table,  water spickets and electric.  They also have full hookup sites for RVs, rustic sites and mini cabins.

There is a walking path around the back of the campground. It cuts through the woods and past a pond.  My kids (ages 1.5, 3, 5,& 6) spent hours at the pond catching frogs.

The bathrooms were clean and checked several times a day. There were public bathrooms with a few stalls and a shower, but there were also 2 private bathrooms with showers, one of which was handicap/family.  There were 2 additional private shower rooms.  They also have a laundry facility ON SITE!!!!  This came in very handy when I opened up my canvas hammock and found mold.

There is access to Stony Lake across the street and that connects to Lake Michigan.  There was an awesome county beach 5 min down the road on Lake Michigan.  It was right where the big lake meets the outlet for Stony Lake, Benona County Park. When they weren't at the pond my kids were playing in the sand and swimming at the beach.  I love little outlets like this because they are usually shallower and warmer than the big lake and are great for my littles.

They offer a short worship service on Sunday mornings for all that wish to participate.

They owners were so sweet and easy going. We called several times to adjust our reservation right up to the day before and they gracefully tolerated our shuffling and were able to accommodate us. They even allowed us to leave our packed trailer at the site while we spent the afternoon at the beach after checkout.  We came back to the site ate, used the bathroom, hooked up the trailer and took off for home.

Small and cliche.

I just witnessed my first discrimination act.  Very sad to see.  Nice young couple trying to enjoy the park, very sad on park officials part to integrate the actions they chose to act on.

Not a good experience

I stayed here July of 2019 and was not impressed. The cabin I stayed in was alright and clean enough. However, the fire pit was in a terrible spot, sitting about a foot from the lake. The parking was cramped and the cabins were extremely close to one another. The bathrooms were also not well taken care of and were disgusting by the end of the weekend. I also didn’t realize it was right next to the expressway and it was loud. I don’t see myself visiting again.

Highway noise

Overall this place was nice. Nice fishing pond, the cleanest bathrooms I’ve ever seen at a campground and nice walking path. The camp store was small but there are gas stations right down the road along with a Meijer and restaurants. It was a little off putting that they had golf cart patrols so often, but I appreciated the quiet. Well people quiet. The highways a littler closer then it looks, so you do get a lot of road noise. Especially when trucks hit the chatter bumps on the side. Not the worse thing in the world, but worth noting. Overall a nice place.

An upgrade for a rustic forest campground

Nice place for a rustic forest campground. Nice beach with a shallow weed free swimming area. The sites are large and semi-private, quite a bit of space between the sites. In addition, this rustic campground has showers and flush toilets! Nice upgrade. Just be careful with navigation, all the systems have this road that does not exist, very strange. Approach for the south off 11 mile road. If your nav system is directing you north override it, it will take you to a dead end. Both google and apple maps have the problem.

4 years straight

We love this place. We rent the river rustic site. It’s right on the shore of the Muskegon river. There’s enough for the kids to do! Playground and swimming pools are great!

Use to be better

Great to be so close to town and the beach. Not much of a “vacation” with such strict drinking rules and tight quarters.

Family Camping

Nice family campground. Owners and staff are very friendly. Lots of planned activities for kids with weekend barrel train rides and hay rides. Playground and nice sandy swimming area. Only downfall is the proximity to the highway and lack of woodsy camping feeling. Restrooms are always immaculately clean. Close to Cedar Springs downtown. Plenty of dining option and great proximity to F. Meijer bike path.

Small & beautiful

This is a small campground with fairly good size sites. There is a playground in the center which was very handy for our little ones. They could play and we could watch from our site. The area was beautiful. The beach was clean and even had a snack shop where you could get a realest and rent a canoe or kayak.

The office was nice. It had a lot of good items, which I really appreciate when I come in late and needed to grab something quick to make (hotdogs!). There is also a candy shoppe in it. My kiddos could take a quarter to the office and pick out a treat.

The sites were very shaded and the bathrooms were very clean. If there is a downfall, it would be that the pieces of wood hat can be bought were huge! They had to be cut smaller to use well.

It has great nature opportunities too!!

Popular Summer Spot

This camp ground is very crowed, during the summer. The sites are close together, dirt, grass and semi-level. They have water, electric ,dump station, firepit & picnic table. There is a path to Lake Michigan. The beach is small but there is access to swimming. They also have an overlook, for a great sunset view. Park Wifi is very sketchy, even though we were right next to the transponder,  probably with so many people trying to connect. Verizon phone gets maybe 2 bars at it's best , LTE & Verizon mifi, will be able to bring in 3G.  All water spigots seem to leak and spray. However since it was so warm the kids seem to like it, however it does make a muddy mess. Each lot has room for a tent or gazebo. This park is huge and heavily wooded. If you're wanting your satellite to come in, there are only a few open spaces. We walked around it looked like site 76 and that general area, were open enough to get a clear shot. I would definitely stay at this campground again, but it will have to be off season, when there is a little more room to enjoy.

It’s ok

They overcharge for EVERYTHING! While there we over heard them planning a craft event (horse pool noodles) they said they paid $3.00 for all supplies combined and planned on charging each child $4.00! 🤬 They could careless if people drive the wrong way on their roads. The only plus to this place is the playground right in the middle of the park, oh and the $1.50 wagon ride! We’d never stay here again.

Rustic Camping

Friendly campground camp site are a little small. Water view with a small beach. Only 35 mins from Silver Lake Sand Dunes. There is power available at sites, no shower and rustic restaurants.

I would camp here again.

Fun for the kids!!

We found this campground last minute and it was our first time at a KOA. We usually camp at state parks but seeing we couldn’t get into one we figured this would be the next best thing seeing it had a pool. We have two girls of the age of five so the pool, the hayride, the night hayride, two parks, jump pad, and feeding the goats kept them busy. There was a lot to do so we didn’t feel the need to leave. We did venture out to a brewery 5-10 mins away in Allendale and Grand Haven is about 20-25 minutes away if you want to cruise out to Lake Michigan. The pool was clean and we had a lot on the pond. All of those sites were good size for small trailer. My only complaint was there were two buildings with showers and two showers each. A lot of the people that stay have RVs so the showers may not always be needed but I did notice there were lines for showers the day we left and I don’t usually run into this with a state park. If we wanted to get away again we would camp here again. Plus the owner and his family is super nice!!

Inexpensive rustic camp by the lake

We stopped here after reading positive reviews but we didn’t feel the same.

After starting in a wide open flat section, the campground winds along a narrow road. Some sites are above and easily found. These were large and filled up by a family. Others are close to the lake down a narrow dirt road. One along the road was nice but the sites at the lake were all in one open circle. The only separation between camps is done by the location. Trees and vegetation are between locations but the campsites in each area are pretty wide open.

The price is low but it comes with a vibe we didn’t feel. Another family also left to seek out another campground - we saw them at another one we also preferred. Others love this place so perhaps you might want to try it for yourself.

Family friendly camping on a lake

Be clear on your directions. We found ourselves down a dead end dirt road and had to drive back out around town. Once here we discovered a wonderful campground.

Campsites are nicely laid out and we found a bunch of open sites even many were already taken. It was clear that families camp here - bikes and children abound. There is even a basketball hoop by the host’s campsite. There are a few hiking trails that lead to the beach or to some close by fishing spots. The host sells firewood but there is also an ice freezer with bags for sale (a bit pricy though). Vault toilets and water are available.

There are other local lakes and campgrounds. ATV, as well as off-road, driving trails are plentiful. Take some time to explore the small towns.

This is a campground that is nicer than some of the other campgrounds we found in the area but it doesn’t feel as rustic either.

Very rustic with a really narrow road

First we didn’t find a sign- just a gravel circle next to the road. At the back of the gravel we found a small sign pointing down a narrow road (it didn’t say any names). We drove down it but it’s a narrow fit with few turn-outs- picture a classic, small 2-track trail. I would hesitate to take a larger camper here. After a drive we came upon the fee sign and 2 direction choices.

We drove right and only found a few campsites. They were large and we were able to drive right into them. We actually found it easier to drive into the campsite to make the turn than to stay on the two-track. The trees are right next to the road. The lake wasn’t visible from this side. There was a walk-in site at the end of this track. It was far enough that none of the campsite was visible from the turnaround.

The lack of signs and less well kept nature left us feeling a little less than comfortable here.

Did the trick, beautiful walking

This campground was really nice and peaceful and there were lots of trees. We didn't have the best weather the weekend we went so there were a lot of tarps rigged up to provide shelter from possible rain.

There is a lake and really nice hiking trails that we took advantage of. The rangers were constantly patrolling (even at night) which was kind of weird. We couldn't buy firewood at the campground when we arrived.

Overall - good for a couple days, not our favorite.

Old school quaint

I loved this campground really. It wasn't overbooked, everything was clean the gal at the desk kind and helpful. We had the river right down from us which was nice to swim in on a hot day. Pure Michigan indeed!