About Deep Lake - Yankee Springs State Rec Area
Deep Lake - Yankee Springs State Rec Area is located in Michigan
10 Reviews of Deep Lake - Yankee Springs State Rec Area
Rustic

It’s been years since I have been here but have great memories of rustic camping with family here growing up. Great large sites with nice views of the lake. The fun of roughing it rustic style.

Large and rustic

Lots of sites available! Disappointed that it was not open year round but the trails are still open. There’s a beautiful lake to fish and kayak. Tons of hiking trails!!

Decent rustic campground

Lots of sites to choose from, lake had some good fishing. The tent worms were terrible where our site was. Ranger patrols a lot, which is nice if you need them. Lots were a good size. Bathrooms were pretty clean too. Overall it was quite and we enjoyed our time.

Great rustic campground.

If you want seclusion away from the parking lot atmosphere down the road at Yankee Springs this is your place. There is much more space at each campsite and lots of old growth trees. The sites over looking Deep Lake are wonderful if you can snag one. This is a rustic campground and they have NO electricity or water and many are smaller tent sites. But the peace and quiet is great. You are just a short drive away from Yankee Springs and Gun Lake with the huge beach, plus you are basically right on the NCT and have access to miles of hiking and biking trails. This is a great campground if you don’t mind “roughing it”.

Great camp ground lots of shade camp site are spaceful and you can pick your site

Great times has a fishing dock and a boat landing but no beach

Nice, quiet campground, great location

I started camping at Deep Lake with a bunch of my friends years ago. We chose it because it was fairly close and rustic. While the majority if campsites are not right on the lake, most of them are grassy and spacious. The staff is friendly and there are a ton of trails to hike or bike. Lots of smaller lakes to paddle too. There is no swimming at Deep Lake but you can fish and paddle. If you want to swim or boat, Gun Lake is just up the road. It is large and shallow. Great for swimming. There are also lots of smaller lakes nearby. I highly recommend Yankee Springs, Deep Lake unit.

Lots of lakes

The caretaker was especially friendly, gave us recommendations for stuff to do in the area. The park itself has lots of hiking (possibly mountain biking) trails, boating. Water & vault toilets, some sites wooded, ok size. Not the cleanest state park I’ve ever been to (at least in 2013) but ok. Spent more time nearby than at the park but if you have a boat there’s a dock at the park that could keep you busy for days.

Deep Lake camp

One of the best, rustic camps in Mi! Trails, other nearby lakes, some sites on cliffs like it's Oregon! Great fishing. Quiet.

Ranger Review: Men's Two Ocean Long Sleeve Shirt at Deep Lake - Yankee Springs Rec Area

Campground Review: Deep Lake offers quite a bit to do in a nice family atmosphere. Most sites offer complete shade. Just wish there was access to a site map while making reservations. Ours was site 22. Sadly had no trees that would work for our hammocks. Sites are setup somewhat close to each other but its not too terrible. Just hope your neighbors don't have a set of screaming kids like we did. To our amusement they didn't make it through the night and packed up. Don't expect any glamorous showers or bathhouses. There are pairs of outhouses and the smell comes with. Try to avoid setting up next to these if possible. The website listed that firewood was available at the ranger station but this is not the case. Had to drive to a general store about three miles up the road. Just a slight inconvenience. There is a boat launch adjacent to the campground. Would have been great to bring some kayaks. Overall a decent experience albeit being what one could expect.

Gear Review: As a winner of the June NC contest I received a hundred dollar gift card to Mountain Khakis. With this I purchased the Two Ocean Long Sleeve Shirt. Tech flannels have become a go to for me outdoors and for everyday wear. This one is a decent midweight offering a decent amount of warmth when needed. It has been much to hot for me to be wearing it during any daytime activities so I cannot touch on its sweatwicking capabilities. Was good to cozy up around the fire once it cooled down. Sizewise I am in that awkward stage between S and M I like to refer to as Smedium. Ended up going with a medium and it was a tad big for me. It is one hundred percent cotton so it did shrink in the wash but still fits a little large. Would def recommend ordering true to fit. The color is a big plus. The cowboy blue looks great in person. Will easily be one of my favorite shirts once I grow into it. You can check it out at: https://www.mountainkhakis.com/

Nice get away

This camp ground was kind of hard to find. Had to stop at the gun lake camp ground (where the GPS took us) and ask for directions. Once we pulled up a park ranger came out and greeted us. Check in was smooth, and a map of the camp site was given to us. Your neighbors are close and there isn't much tree area to the sides. Nice family atmosphere though. Nice picnic table and fire pit. Our campsite was about a 2 minute walk from the fishing dock/boat launch. They do have group camp sites near the water. Outhouses smell like they haven't been changed since the beginning of the summer, avoid the campsites near them. The long fishing dock is nice so you can speard out, and easy walking trails as well. Make sure you bring your own firewood.