Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, MICHIGAN
Camping Michigan Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
Most Recent Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Camping Reviews
Lovely hillside campground

Mother's Day weekend was our first trip to this park, but we'll surely be back.

At check in we got a bag of homemade cookies tied with a sprig of evergreen. It was such a great touch. The folks that operate the campground really take great care & it shows. We spoke to a fellow camper that has been camping there for 50+ years and he had nothing, but rave reviews for the current caretakers.

The sites are beautiful and spacious. The park itself is positioned on a hillside next to a lake. We had a site at the top of the hill which I recommend.

There were bathrooms and showers on site; Tent & RV sites; a small playground; boat launch; hiking trails and fire rings and picnic tables at every site.

Interesting place....

Stayed here for a marathon race because EVERYTHING was all booked up given the time of year. First, it’s an older couple who owns it and they are pretty funny about check in / out times because I’m pretty sure it’s just their yard you are camping on. Either way, we wouldn’t be getting in until SUPER LATE and the husband was really nice and accommodating. They also were cool with our three dogs running around and he made sure to put us as far off the beaten path as possible. So overall, it served its purpose for what we needed. Not really sure I’d call it “camping” but more of a backyard hangout? 🤷🏼‍♀️ The RV sites do have hookups and there is a bathroom. Not sure about showers though.

Great Place!

Great place to stay! Pit toilets and pump water stations. Beautiful lake with cool islands! Campsites are large and fairly separated! Can’t wait to go back!

Great, secluded sites in a quite setting

We arrived at this campground at about 5 pm on a Friday afternoon in August.  There were several of the 25 or so sites still available.  A quiet place to spend the weekend and great access to the middle stretch of Platte River.

This is NOT the NPS campground associated with Sleeping Bear Dunes NP, but rather a State Forest Campground operated by the Michigan DNR.

Beautiful views

Went camping with family and friends this weekend and we loved it here. Had two sites on the hill and our view was the lake and beautiful sunsets. I haven’t been camping since I was little, over 20 years, so I haven’t been to a lot of campgrounds. Staff was very nice, bathrooms weren’t bad, had two small showers but they get the job done.

Stayed in cabin in this heavy RV park

We were here over July 4 in mini cabin. We had been back country camping before that so were happy to have a cabin for a couple nights. Mini cabin is at tip of park with nice view of lake Michigan sunsets. Cabin had mini fridge, coffee pot, ceiling fan, and I think a heater for winter. 2 sets of sturdy bunk beds. Camp sites were packed with RVs and tents. I don't think I've ever seen a more crowded camp ground. Many campers brought their own bikes, kayaks, boats so there must be lake access nearby but definitely not from this park. Beach inaccessible due to high lake waters. Outhouse was clean and well maintained. Showers a short walk away.

Beautiful camp sites!

Top three things that are best about this state camp ground are as listed:

1. Camp sites are huge. Plenty of room for multiple tents. Also all have trees for shade or a hammock.

2. Camp sites are NOT on top of each other. Usually you only get this in the backcountry. I was very impressed for rustic camping I had privacy and plenty of room.

3. The beach was fantastic. Lovely shoreline. Lots of cool beach rocks. The day use area is also very accessible.

The only major con is that it is next door to a cement facility. So yes you will sorta see if from the beach and you will see it when you drive up to go into the park. Other than that you won’t really know it’s there. I will say if you like airplanes the beaver island is nearby and A LOT of planes do fly by. So if you’re looking for library quite… this isn’t it but it pretty dang close.

The vaulted bathrooms were fine. There was water accessible as well. A great place and I would totally come back!

Peace

I love going around September so quiet a few people there loads of trails to walk on and people are very respectful I keep going every year

Weather put a damper

I only stayed here because it was really close to a race I was running. To be Honest, this place wasn’t overly impressive. The sites were really small and not wooded, the beach was really rocky and difficult to get to, and also it down poured majority of our visit. I’d give this place 3 stars at best, even if it hadn’t rained. There are so many better places to stay in the area, opt for one of those.

Very nice campground near many attractions.

The spaces are tight unless you get into the back rows set back sites. This is a terrific way to solve the tight spacing. The staff is great. The bathrooms are clean and the pool is decent. Lots of trees. Will likely be returning.

All You Need

I absolutely love this campground. I’ve camped there twice this summer and each time I enjoy it. Lake Dubonnet Trail Camp has the basic rustic camping necessities. Outhouses near each circle, spickit with really good water, hiking trails, boat launch and even a nearby island you can kayak to and let the dogs roam free! (Mine sure loves it) The campsites themselves have lots of space, privacy and a fire pit. This place is the bees knees. I’ll be back. :)

Family oriented

This campground has two sides, the campground which accommodates tents, campers and RVs. Also they have small cabins. They offer full hookups as well as 30 & 50 amp service.  Nice shower and bathroom facilities, coin laundry, pool, and camp store. The other side is the “luxury RV Resort” with concrete pads, grass, ponds and lots of greenery. Very upscale.

Great Location!

This is one of my favorite campgrounds and it’s located in our favorite vacation destination! We have stayed here several times with our extended family on sites near us and can’t wait to go back again. It’s dog friendly and the staff is always helpful and friendly too. The location is close to many nearby attractions, M22, outdoor adventures, beaches, lake, boating rentals, rivers, restaurants, wineries, quaint lakeside towns. The sites, bathrooms and pool are clean. They spray for bugs so there’s not too many creepy crawlies or biting bugs in the campground. Plus there’s no poison ivy!

Those beach sites though

This park is so pretty! Some of the beach sites offer walk in wooded areas with their own private trails to the water. There is also drive around and pull up sites available for campers and tents. The sites are not overly close together either, which can sometimes be an issue at state parks. Picnic table, fire rings, and wooded areas at each site. Bathrooms available in the main parts. So many beautiful areas to explore around this park as well. I can’t get enough.

The dodge ball

In the woods finally a campground that’s not a parking lot and the dodge ball court or ampatheater was awesome we never heard I am bored or what can we do ever they loved it and so did we !!great campground

Tons of spaces for large groups

Water access from stairs going to the lake. Clean enough bathrooms, as you would expect to find at a state park. Sites are roomy, with very nice concrete firepits and normal picnic tables. Just spent one night there and I'd do it again.

Quiet little place

Self registration for $15 per night. Small campground located on Lake Ann. I think only 1 or 2 sites have water access or views, the rest of the campground is mostly wooded. Picnic tables and fire rings at each site, and pit toilets located in the middle of the circle grounds. The boat launch for the lake is only a few short minutes up the road.

Love this little place

Quiet, not populated, and beautiful views. I’ve solo camped here a few times and it’s great for early morning paddles and peaceful relaxation. There is a boat launch right near by, but most of the sites have their own path right down to the water. Rustic style camping which includes a picnic table and fire pit and there are a few vault toilets throughout the area. Self registration for $15 per night.

We had a blast!

Way more rustic than some of the other social campgrounds but I really loved how we felt like we were out in the woods and not crowded. We didn’t spend a bunch of time at the site as we spent our days kayak the river and hanging out where the river feeds into the lake. We made some great memories while camping here and eagerly await the chance to return.

Peaceful Easy Feeling...

My husband and I have always preferred the quiet laid back feeling of state park camping but since purchasing a 40ft 5th wheel we have found ourselves looking at private campgrounds to accommodate its size. Indigo Bluffs provides the perfect combination of space and tranquility. Plenty of trees, large sites, friendly staff, and convenient location will bring us back!

Well maintained, loaded with fossils

Huge selection of sites between 2 different campgrounds, from a huge RV to tents or hammocks, there are power and non-electric sites for fair prices. We made a last minute reservation, so didn't have a site next to the lake, but the walk from our spot (south campground, site 46) to the beach was easy enough. Once we got to the lake we found Petoskey stones and fossils like crazy! It's unbelievable how many there were. The sand was nice and the campground overall was clean and quiet. Rangers were very nice and test the water pumps every day. Beautiful views. Lots of deadfall for firewood for those who chose to gather. Sites are within viewing distance but not completely on top of each other. Would definitely stay again and spend more time on the hiking trails and looking for stones and fossils!

Great location

This campground is in a great location close to everything. Can access the TART trail at the back of the campground. Easy ride in to town. Close to everything you would ever want to do. We stayed at site 62. Our shower house was newer with more showers and always clean. Close to road, but didn’t bother us. Not a campground if looking for peace and quiet. Sites close together. We will definitely stay here again just because of the location and ability to get everywhere!

Wild camping

Picked up the spot a couple of hours we pulled in pleasantly surprised when we got here spacious sites. But we got one right next to an out house and ranger talk site which had lots of foot traffic through our site.

Location, location, location

Small sites that are grouped pretty close to each other, but really you can’t beat the location. 2 minute walk across the overpass to the state park beach, easy walk to downtown and shops. Fantastic place.

Best part is parking so close to your own site. Parking can be hard to come by this close to downtown. Great place for a family and making memories.

Beautiful views

The Manistee River trail is great for beginner and experienced hikers. The trail is ungroomed and pretty hilly, but the views of the river from the higher elevations are pretty amazing.

Both times I visited were during Memorial Day weekend and the dispersed campsites, which are available on a first-come, first served basis, filled up very quickly. Despite this, my hiking partner and I were able to find an awesome spot next to the river and a creek. The flowing water on two sides of us made for some great sleep.

Highly recommend the area if you are just getting into backpacking and hiking.

From the web: The Manistee River Trail follows the east shore of the Manistee River for 8.8 miles through rolling hills. The trail traverses past several wetlands and there are bridges crossing two creeks. A waterfall near the northern end of the trail is very popular with many hikers. The Manistee River Trail/North Country National Scenic Trail connector is also the site of the largest wooden suspension bridge in Lower Michigan. Several observation sites along the trail provide hikers with vista views of the Manistee River and surrounding area. There are several dispersed campsites along the trail.

A 23-mile loop trail is formed with the Manistee River Trail along the Manistee River. The loop trail can be accessed from the Marilla and Upper River Road Trailheads for the North Country National Scenic Trail and the Red Bridge and Seaton Creek accesses for the Manistee River Trail.

Nice quiet primitive camp

This is a great little find.  All sites are first come first served and paid via an envelope into a lock box.  They do come around pretty much every day to check that you paid, so make sure you stop and pay up.  These sites are not like the state run campgrounds where you're packed in like sardines!  You have space and depending on which site you luck out with, you won't be able to hear your neighbors.  The sites that are like 8-11 (i think) are the best ones and you have more privacy.  But there are other sites directly on the water.  I was there for the July 4th long weekend and there were only like 5 sites occupied, but when we had called before showing up, they said some weekends they do get full.

There is a well hand pump for water.  I'm not sure if i would drink it though…I saw no mention of whether it was potable or not.  But I used it to wash my hands, dishes and wash my hair.

There are at least 2 vault toilets.  They have plenty of toilet paper, and aren't that smelly.

The road is a dirt road to get there.  But there are lots of ATV roads on the way to the camp ground - so make you stay on the all dirt road to get there instead of turning onto a dirt ATV trail with lots of grass in the middle.  You don't have to have a 4 wheel drive to get there or anything, but just take the road slow so you don't break an axle.

Bring a bike or kayak and enjoy the solitude while you're there!  It's great!

There is a dumpster to dump your garbage on the way out.

The site was relatively clean, but there was some litter that I could tell had just blown out of someone's car or something.  So leave the place cleaner than when you showed up and pick up the trash.

All sites have at least one picnic table, a fire ring and a grill.  But no grate to put over the fire pit, we brought charcoal to cook with or transferred hot coals from the firepit.

I have AT&T and had full cell service when I was there, so that made making evening plans easy.

Nice wooded campground

1/2 hr outside Traverse City. Nice away from the busy areas.
The campground needs some attention which will be addressed by the new owners. Very dusty, loose sand uneven entrance. We enjoyed the hiking provided onsite. Nice pool. We liked the location.
Did not use bath house. We had f/h.
Not many of those available.

Great Waterfront Sites

Fishermans is a rustic campground right on Lake Michigan and is very close to Charlevoix and all the town has to offer. Their rustic waterfront sites look gorgeous! If I had gotten one of those, this would be a 5 star review. As it was, the sites off the water are ok. We had a gravel pull through site, which made it hard to find a spot to pitch the tent. If I could get a waterfront site, I’d be back in a heartbeat!

We got an awesome site!

We stayed here in 2016 for a fall weekend get away! Because it was after season we got to camp on someone's seasonal lot which was awesome! We had a beautiful site with a look out area and nice fire place. We didn't spend much time at the campground itself but loved all the airstream trailers that were in there!

Beautiful view not a lot to do

We loved the views from this campground but the campground itself doesn't have much to do.

We went with a group of vintage campers so enjoyed our time and was nice to use the covered/enclosed pavilion area.

The stairs were closed so not able to access beach.

We loved doing the natural wonders tour while we were up there! Kids loved finding natural springs, seeing the over views, gravity hill and more! I highly recommend doing it if your visiting the area!