Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, MICHIGAN
Camping Michigan Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Most Recent Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Camping Reviews
Amazing gateway to pictured rocks

8 sites near the east end of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. We were less than 100 yards from the lake. We walked the kayaks easily to the lake. Fantastic hikes throughout the park. We will be back!

Loved it here!

Extremely rustic campground. Only 10 sites available on first come first served basis. Set a few miles off the beaten path, a great spot for fishing, kayaking, canoeing & swimming. No cell service available. Ross Lake is beautiful. There is pump water & toilets available. My favorite thing about this campground was listening to the haunting loon songs over the lake at night. I will definitely go back. The lake is set right between Munising & Grand Marais.

Wooded, shady campground just up a steep sandy bluff from Lake Superior

**Notes:

1. As long as you have your printed permit with you, you do not need to "check in" anywhere to reach the backcountry sites.

2. Almost no one we encountered had maps - be sure to print as many out prior to your trip as possible.

We parked at Beaver Basin Overlook (beware: the gravel drive in has lots of potholes!), and hiked into Pine Bluff Campground. It was about 4.7 miles in, and relatively flat. The first .5 mile was a slight decline (so it was a bit of a thigh-burner on the way back out).

When we arrived, only one other site was taken, and we all agreed we got the best site, #5 (there are five sites total). It's just a little more tucked back than the others, which were quite exposed. We were able to have one hammock up for lounging during the day and two tents. The site itself had a bear locker (people - remember to pack your food out!! Someone prior to us left food there and the stench was awful!), short walk to a pit toilet and communal fire ring. Lots of shade, which was nice. To reach Lake Superior (your water source, so bring a filter), you must climb up and down a fairly steep sandy bluff, but it's totally worth it. The views are spectacular, and it's very secluded - you'll have the beach to yourself! It's the most beautiful white sand beach, with pebbles near the water line and driftwood.

The first night, there were only three sites occupied, including ours. One site turned in early, while the other site and us built a campfire from branches we collected. Just remember you'll have to haul water up the bluff to extinguish your fire!

The second night, every single site was taken and there were two groups who decided to "squat" near the campground. Don't do this! Not only was the bear vault overflowing, you're stomping on vegetation in the area.

For our day hike, we headed west along the lakefront. The hike to the Spray Falls overlook and back was just under 10 miles.

The night sky was super clear after moon set, and we enjoyed tons of stars, the Milky Way and Perseids Meteor Shower. Highly recommend this campsite for anyone looking to backpack along Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore!

Family camping trip

River site#8. Beautiful river view. Saw ducks, hawks, fish getting caught from 2 sites away. Fun to watch the excitement! Clean bath house. Great shower. Could use a little more playground area for little ones. But, the tire swing was nice. Sandy area for the volleyball net was a nice sand area for our granddaughter to play in. Nice store. Cute clothing items for sale. Nice selection of frozen ice cream treats. We canoed and our son kayaked the Manistique River. Shuttled up and paddled back to campground. About 3 1/2 hour trip. It was serene on the river. One of our best camping experiences!

Cool until it wasn’t

We were pretty excited to find this place on a busy July weekend. The area was extremely scenic and also centrally located for exploring the Pictured Rocks area. The sites were a decent size and the campground was quiet. Rustic style toilets and a nice beach for swimming. We were so happy! I even made friends with a chipmunk at breakfast. After we ate we cleaned up our site and left for a long day of exploring on a Saturday. We returned really late after dark to find someone had stolen all our firewood, headlamps, extra clothing from the tent, and a few other items. Like, seriously?! Super lame. I know it’s not the fault of the campground, but I guess it just left a bad taste in my mouth for this place. People can be so disrespectful, it’s sad. The campground was good otherwise. Just watch out for that A-hole wearing my Marmot rain jacket😒

Just amazing

We landed here just by chance with no plans and found a huge lot open. Stayed 3 nights and every night was breathtaking. From the sunset to the waterfront spot it was perfect. Restrooms were close and more. Super friendly staff close to everything you would want to do in Munising.

Right on the beach!!

We lucked out and got a last minute rustic site in late July. No near neighbors, really felt like a private beach! Restrooms were far, far away, so be prepared for that (I have two kids with me and my daughter was not thrilled about the options I gave her!) We brought a sport wagon to haul stuff from the parking lot in, not a bad walk- one a little bridge, into the woods. The waves were loud enough to drown out the highway, which was near. Great location and beach!

The sites are good sizes, right on Lake superior, which gave us amazing views! Bring quarters if you want a shower! And lots of quarters if you don't shower quickly lol

Super isolated

Spent one night here with my dog. I was looking for a place to unplug and I sure got what I was looking for. Have to admit I was a bit out of my element for tent camping at this location. There were others camping at this site with RVs, a boat and off road vehicles. They were more prepared for the wilderness! They told me about a pack of wolves roaming around and how they would snatch up my pup if given the opportunity and my girl had a growl off with something in the woods that night. Might have been a wolf! Mosquitos were crazy and there were some giant turtles that seemed to be taking over the whole area. Beautiful view of the big lake.

Every campsite has a lakefront view!

This is a nice state forest campground that is only $15/night and literally every site has waterfront view. It's a rustic campground with pump water (very high mineral content) and vault toilets. It also has a picnic area and boat launch. A huge bonus is unlike all of the national forest campgrounds in the area, no reservations are required.

Gorgeous, off the grid.

This place is a gem. 50 minutes from Munising, makes the perfect camping spot for a pictures rocks trip.

Beautiful beach with all the privacy in the world. The best part about camping here was the Beach!

Another really nice amenity was the lantern posts next to the picnic table and the grill grate attached to the fire pit. Can’t recommend this place enough.

Some tips: DO NOT take 721 trail off Adams trail. Apple maps told us to take this route. It’s really only meant for atv’s and specialized off road vehicles. It would have saved 3 minutes off our total drive time. The local tow truck told us he comes here 3 times a week while he towed us out. And there’s no signal. It was pretty scary.

No running water in restroom, so pack some Clorox wipes.

Bugs are pretty bad on the non-lake side so try to get a site near the water.

Favorite.

Love love love this place. A beauty rustic campground located in the middle of nowhere. Generally not very crowded and conveniently located near a few lakes available for paddling. The North Country Trail also runs right through the campground, so it’s great for morning hiking around the lake. Self serve, no reservations. $15 per night. Picnic tables, vault toilet, and fire pit.

No longer a KOA, But still nice

They haven't been a KOA since the end of 2014. Same people are running it, so it's still pretty good, although I was kinda bummed that the indoor pool is gone, but the new heated outdoor pool is great. Sites are nice and well treed. They are centrally located near pictured rocks in Munising, and taqhamenon falls and whitefish point. And about an hour from Kitch-iti-Kipi.

Wooded inland lake campground three minutes from Lake Superior.

This campground has nicely shaded sites well spaced from each other. The facilities are clean and well maintained (nice for vaulted toilets). There’s also a park on the lake with a small beach and a boat launch. There are also many places to rent kayaks right down the road.

I love this campground! Friendly staff

GREAT campground!! I have stayed here twice, the campground is positioned right on Lake Superior and if you’re lucky and can grab a lake front space - it’s gorgeous! There are a variation of sites from full hookup to Rustic tent areas, I have stayed in both and they all offer plenty of space for your setup.

The facilities are always clean and the staff is extremely accommodating! They even gave me a refund when they were able to resell my site for a night I decided to stay on Grand Island instead.

They also offer showers for $5 for people backpacking near by.

You can purchase firewood (and wheelbarrow it to your site), some snacks, fire starters, camping necessities, and cute souvenirs in the check-in building.

Great site facilities and location!

The channel marker campsite is the perfect distance (about a half mile on a well maintained flat trail) from the ferry dock and could be accessed by water too! There is a primitive toilet at the site along with a bear pole and storage locker, and a campfire ring with grill top. The site is private yet still close to the trail with an adjacent trail down to the beach, both areas include beaches.

The site requires that all tents are placed within 15 feet of a sign which only grants space for 1 tent easily. We also were able to fit one hammock within these guidelines.

There is provided firewood at most all the other campsites we walked by, but no wood was provided to this site.

Also note the bugs (mosquitoes and flies) are horrendous! Even with strong deet spray. Good idea to invest in the bug net gear the ferry service recommends!

Great rustic experience

Spent 3 nights here. Simple camp spot right on the lake. Fishing was good and so was kayaking the lake.

Alone on the shore

We stayed during the last few nights of walk-up only camping. Pit toilets were rough but did have hand sanitizer. Water available at center point of campground. Easy beach access from nearly all sites. Flies varied from nonexistent to intolerable, depending on the wind. This campground was so quiet and beautiful. On our last night a storm blew in and demolished many of the tents and other structures along the beach side. The sites with the best views were hit harder bc of a lack of trees. Beware. No cell service at campground but is available at the Sable visitor center approximately 20 minutes away.

One of a kind experience

Hiking the Pictured Rocks is a once in a lifetime experience. Get away from the crowds and see the beauty of this place! When we were there, we had most of the campgrounds to ourselves! It really is a breathtaking experience and overall, not that hard of a hike!

Amazing location

Absolutely breathtaking beach side sites. Came in late June during the week and getting a spot was easy. The sites are close together. but had our own private trail that lead to the beach. Quiet for the most part and campers respected privacy. Found wolf prints not far from our site on the beach. Can’t wait to visit again!

Reservable and Rustic

We were looking for a place to camp near the Pictured Rocks that wasn’t an RV park and was reservable. We ended up at Bay Furnace. It’s very quiet, right on Lake Superior and not too far from all of the Pictured Rocks sites. If you don’t mind rustic, I recommend Bay Furnace. You Amy get closer with the Pictured Rocks campgrounds, but first come first serve makes me nervous.

Picture perfect place

Incredible & breathtaking. The Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is a camping experience that should not be missed. The North Country Trail runs the shoreline for about 40 miles through the length of the park, adjacent to Lake Superior. Backcountry camping is available at 14 small campgrounds spaces about 2-5 miles apart throughout the trail. Forests, dunes, beaches, and 50-200 foot cliffs are just a few of the great views that can be experienced along the trail. The campsites feature bear boxes or hangers, shared fire pits, and backcountry toilets. You must register for these sites before occupying one and reservations cannot be modified. You must stay at the campground you registered at, so make sure you calculate your mileage correctly. Shuttles are available for pick up and drop off at several different points of the park.

Great Central Location

Quiet campground with a nice lake. Close to pictured rocks, munising, and manistique.

Last of the wilderness on the East coast.

The U.P. has so much to offer if you're into the great outdoors. Jack Pine is a small campground in the Hiawatha National Forest. It's a big attraction for Quads and dirt bikes during the summer and I'm told snowmobiles, during the winter. Being that in the summer, it doesn't get dark until 10 pm, you can spend all day and most of the evening riding the trails. This year, the gnats were just about unbearable, but no fault of the campground (welcome to the UP). Camp Hosts Fred and Nancy, were extremely nice and helpful. The bar/restaurant on site, is a plus if you're wanting a quick bite or cocktail. They do have decent wifi throughout the campground, which is good because there was no Verizon signal. The cabins had Satellite, but they were in an open field, the campsites are in the pines, which may cause poor reception. They sell firewood for $5 a bundle. There's a small camp store, with a few necessities & ice. Bathrooms were clean, and showers were enclosed with a locking door. I would definitely stay here again, but I will bring my netted gazebo, to keep the gnats and flies at bay.

Busy

Smaller park perfect for a stop along your route. All paved sites but sits right on Lake Superior. Always a full park. Close to Munising and all the Pictured Rock attractions.

Natural beauty

Long nice drive back into the campgrounds. Bring your boat and camp. Grown mature trees. You feel like your in a UP paradise. It's also located near the Autrain beach on the big Lake Superior.

Worth the ride!

Busy little campground. Swimming area is nice. Boating is good. Bathrooms are very clean. Great little pizza place in Gwinn, about 6 miles from campground.

Beautiful view

Remote. Nice lake with beautiful view of “pure Michigan” peaceful place with great campsites.

Remote and Scenic

This campground has no running water, so no showers or anything fancy so if you like having those amenities this is not for you, but it takes you into the wilderness and into the beauty of the remote forests of the Upper Peninsula.  It is a peaceful and quite campground with a lake and a river, and beach it is away from everything the stars at night really shine here.  The caretakers and really cool and nice people.  What made it for me though was just the fact that it was away from everything and gave you a break from reality and society and just took you into nature.  If you like getting away and roughing it, then this a great campground to pitch up your tent or camper and having a relaxing trip.

Serene and Movie Like

Positioned at a good distance from the town of Munising, meaning far enough so you feel disconnected, but still close enough to were you can quickly reach the town, this campground is easily one of the best in the area and one of my favorites.  Complete with entities such as showers, this campground overlooks Grand Island and various other smaller islands, resting in Lake Superior, it really makes you feel like you are in a movie.  One of the hidden gems of this campground is the rustic tent sites, which allow you to camp on the beach, have fires on the beach under the stars, and wake up to the sound of gently crashing waves.  It also is a good size campground, creating the family neighborhood atmosphere and with the way it is designed and the view it gives, it helps make connect with nature and fellow campers in a cool way.  If you want to explore Pictured Rocks, and camping is your thing, this is the place to go.