Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, MICHIGAN
Most Recent Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Camping Reviews
Very comfortable

We hit this campground at the end of our trip and we found it to be very relaxing. One bonus for us was that my wife had camped here as a child and had wonderful memories.

Amazing!

Such an awesome campground! We came for Kitch-iti-kipi, but we both think that the highlight of the trip was the campsite. Far enough apart from others, but nothing is a far walk either. We definitely will be coming back!

Pretty park watch out for swimmers itch

Nice park but the only thing we saw about swimmers itch was on a billion board outside the bathroom AFTER we had already been swimming

Beautiful setting near lake, restaurants and groceries

We stayed at this campground in late July 2017. The sites are first come first serve. We got lucky and snagged a great site for our 41' 5th wheel just as someone was getting ready to leave. The campground was totally full. There is water and electric only. But, there is a pump truck you can contract with to pump your tanks as needed. We have only planned to stay for 2 days, but because the setting was so nice, we stayed for 7 nights! Definitely one of our favorite camping experiences. Lake Superior feels like an ocean.

We will definitely try to make it back one day!

Amazing

This place is very clean and a lot of spots, some big some Not. It’s very beautiful there!

Love.

Loved this campground so much that we stayed an extra night. Cleanest restrooms I've ever encountered in a campground. Very quiet and relaxing. Loved the sound of the water. Definitely plan to come back. Not a ton of trees, but still perfect.

Great get away

Love this place. It has no power but is key quiet. Lots of open spots usually. Usual rustic camping. The boat launch is a little tight but good fishing. Lots of small fish but the scenery is amazing.

Hike in

Was a good spot to stop asking the pictured rocks hike. Also not a bad hike from the parking lot to the west. Had a trash pole and a food locker. The fire ring was a nice little Suprise to cook food. Great view of the lake from the sand dunes but wind was blocked by trees. Tent spots were level. Got spot to Spend the night.

Our go to Campground

Love the campground. Can fill quick. The bathroom facilities are pretty nice. We avoid June and July because of black wise. The beach isn't bad on the lake but directly across the street you can go down to Lake Superior which has miles of beaches. Lots of hiking trails in about a half hour from any town. There is a little store on the other side of the lake. One of our top spots to come camp. There is power hookups to most sites and spots for RVs and campers. Not a far drive to go cut your own firewood.

Amazing place,terrible camp host.

This place was amazing. Very roomy and just beautiful. The camp host was horrible they would yell at us to slow down when we we under the speed limit. There dog was off leash and bit one of our dogs and one of our campers. They were horrible worst hosts ever!

Best campground ever!

My favorite campground I’ve ever been too. Rustic, and very beautiful. It’s a bit of a venture to get there but well worth it!

GREAT PLACE !

I stayed here for a week and Loved it! It’s a bit of a drive to get there but well worth it! I can’t wait to go back again! It’s only you and Nature at its Best!! I enjoyed all the Quiet!

Great Campground on Lake Michigan

This is a beautiful Campground with sites a few feet or a few yards from Lake Michigan. Fantastic south facing views. Close to town and lots to do in the area. Make sure you go to Jack's Market for pasties and pot pies. Eat in or carry out.

Tiny little gem!

This campsite was awesome! We camped right on the lake and due to how small the campsite is (only about 8 sites max). No reservations. You self-register when you arrive. The campsites were nice and flat, not too many trees but most provided and amazing view of the lake.

Great Forest Campground w/ Lake Access

Have stayed here now 2 years in a row and loved it both times. We've been lucky enough to stay at a site with great water access both years and the way the geography works out, it seems like the majority of these sites are either on the water or right across from it. Being that it is in the forest, there is plenty of privacy with a lot of tree cover from site to site if you need it. It's a solid no frills campground that I will definitely continue to visit.

Great Campground, Slightly Condensed

We stayed at Tourist Park this past August which is obviously peak season. I was able to secure the very last spot for the night we were staying there which was pretty much right next to the check-in cabin so basically right in the middle of everything. We had no problem sleeping or enjoying our stay as everyone is always so nice but if you are staying in the middle area of the campground there won't be a ton of privacy. The campground does have a beach area with a view of Grand Island. The campground is closer to Christmas, MI than Munising but there is a gas station and even a casino near by so it works out just fine. Overall I will definitely be back, but if at all possible I will try to book my site towards the outside of the campground perimeter.

Awesome Campground

Muskallonge Lake is a little bit off the beaten path of the typical UP camping trip but if you can make it, it's an amazing stop. Facilities are fine but the main draw is the combination of the small inland lake (Muskallonge) and big lake right across the street. We stayed at a tent site right near Muskallonge Lake and caught the sunset on the big lake and stargazed out by the small dock they have on Muskallonge. Staff was more than helpful in accommodating us to park our car near the entrance (this stay was the beginning of a week long bikepacking trip). Overall a great stay

Other things to note: Very minimal cell service, as is most of the Upper Peninsula. There is a store just down the road that has all the necessities asl. Photo is of the sunset on the big lake.

A good family camp

Direct access to Lake Superior, and wonderfully scenic river for fishing, and canoeing. It's a great family camping experience, or a nice stop for hiking trip accross the Upper Peninsula.

Great campground

Camped here In August 2018 for a few days. The bathrooms and showers were clean, although they seemed to close them for cleaning at random times that were never consistent. The vault toilets should have hand sanitizer dispensers. The sites were neat enough with fire rings and some have electricity. The amount of goose poop was unreal though. You have access to Muskallonge Lake in the campground, and there is Lake Superior access not too far down the road, there is a trail from the campground. You can bring your ORV here, but are only allowed to ride in or out of the park, no stopping, not even to drop someone off to buy ice. The sites in Sections 2 and 3 were woodsier than Section 1 where we were, but not all have electric hookups. Booking on the MI DNR website was easy.

We used the campground as our base to go to Munising to do the Pictured Rocks boat tour about 2 hours away, go down through Newberry and across the Seney Stretch unless you like washboard dirt roads, Oswald's Bear Ranch, and Tahquamenon Falls. We took our Kawasaki Ranger out to the Crisp Point Lighthouse. The black flies were bad at the light, a worker said it was because the wind was coming from the south at the time. We had enough Verizon service at the campground for texts, but not enough for much else. The front ranger station provides Wi-Fi. There's a little store for supplies in Deer Park not far down the road. The nearest full grocery is in Newberry about a half hour away. The road between Grand Marais and Muskallonge is not paved, but I believe they are planning on it

Friendly staff, beautiful location

Hands down the people that work here are wonderful. They bring you right to your site and help you back in. They even loaned me an extra power cord and helped hold up my awning when I put it up.

It’s a lovely quiet waterfront and easily accessible. Wish we would have snagged a site with a view but the public access points are just fine.

Cons - not much shade or privacy. Playground is falling apart (slide and swings)

Kayak Adventure

Booked this trip with the sole purpose of kayaking the Pictured Rocks National Park. Camp site was great, had a great walk in site which was right in the beach of Lake Superior.

The facilities of the campground were great. The shower and bathroom facilities were clean, and easily accessible. Drinking water was readily available, as was fire wood for purchase.

Overall a great location and experience.

Great views of Lake Superior

The sunsets from this campground are unreal. The walking bridge over the Two Hearted River takes you to the Lake Superior beach. It has small rocks near shore and lots of sand near the river.

Vault toilets and a water pump are available. Picnic tables are at each site.

This is a fun place to stay with kids.

Amazing beach on Lake Superior

To date this is my favorite rustic campground I've been to in Michigan. Being in the UP and on Lake Superior makes this place one of a kind.

The beach is rocky and has lots of driftwood from the high lake levels a few years ago. The ice took down a lot of the trees on the shoreline.

Swimming is always cold in Lake Superior but getting in was refreshing.

Picnic tables and fire rings are on each site. Vault toilets are available as well. We found all the firewood we needed right in the campground.

Best campground in Pictured Rocks

No reservations so you need to be early and persistent in finding a campsite. Great lakeside sites with easy beach access and gorgeous views.

Ranger Review: Renogy Water Filter at Lowney Creek (Pictured Rocks)

Campground Review

The Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is great for backpackers. We camped at Lowney Creek and parked at the Beaver Lake Basin Overlook. It was a 2 mile hike crossing the beautiful Lowney Creek multiple times. The birds were singing on our hike, we saw toads, and the trail is pretty well maintained and very well marked.

Our campsite was right on the shore of Beaver Lake. This offered ample water for filtering. We were able to watch a blue heron catch a fish and were hearing the loons. The lake is beautiful and definitely suitable for swimming. There are 4 campsites at Lowney Creek with a shared fire ring and a shared bear box for food. There is nice large trees for shade, and a couple of the sites are more secluded than the other two. Nearby about .3 mile is the group site.

The backcountry camping was awesome and I would definitely go back.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time, this time I got to test the Renogy Water Filter pump.

It is a functional pump that works, but isn't all the easy to use, especially by yourself. I found that having at least one person to assist by holding the clean water bottle and to make sure the water inlet hose stays in place. It went even better with three people. Unfortunately for me, this isn't great.

What I like

• The flow rate was good. I haven't used it enough to have to back flush, but it's nice they include a syringe to extend the life via back flushing.
  • It is compact. I have some friends with Katadyn filters and those are no better at filtering, but they are much bulkier.
  • It comes with a bag for all the hoses and the filter.

What I don't like

• The hoses work, but seem low quality. They aren't smooth, but overly rubbery, so stuff sticks to them.
  • To store, you have to remove both hoses
  • It is cumbersome to operate
  • The carbon filter probably improves taste slightly, but you'd have to buy replacements. My Sawyer filtered water tastes fine to me.

Overall, a functional filter that works as well as a filter of this design could work. I'd probably recommend a Sawyer Squeeze before this one though.

Absolutely gorgeous, if a little overused

This hike is stunning. Literally every time it's breathtaking. The trail alternates between young forest, older growth valleys with cascading rivers, beach, and stunning vistas from the cliffs.

Looking up and down the undulating shoreline is unreal, and every time you come out to the cliffside the view is changed and has its own unique features.

I've only done the 12 mile Mosquito Falls to Chapel Rock loop, but this summer I'll be returning to backpack the length of the lakeshore.

The falls are aptly named, so definitely be sure to bring bug spray (though the bugs weren't miserable in May so don't be scared off!)

I'd also suggest a poncho or similar, the weather on the lake can change quickly from bright sun to rumbling clouds.

The sites themselves suffer from abuse by rude hikers, waste isn't always taken care of properly, nor is used TP and trash. (This might not be systematic of everything, just the sites we saw that weekend.)

Nice Lake

Park offers electric and water sites. Nice playground and beach area. Caretakers are on site - everyone seemed very friendly. We really enjoyed the lake, the water is beautiful.

Secluded and well kept

Great small state forest campground. Several lake front spots. All level with picnic table and fire ring. Vault tables available. Boat launch for the lake which is the result of a dam. Lots of waterfowl.

clean, pretty, isolated

There are only a handuful of sites on this lake and the sites are all one right next to each other. NO hookups, large handicap accessible privy, large and well maintained fire rings. There is a hand water pump but since this is such a rustic setup, I wouldn't trust it to be potable without treating or filtering it first. Sites were very pretty, pull in sites. Small camper or trailer could probably fit. I tent camped so it was no problem. Sites are right on the water so you can swim right from your campsite. The couple next to me launched their canoe for an evening paddle. Didn't see much wildlife except for a pair of pigeons and assorted chipmunks and squirrels. Very special falling asleep to the loons on the lake. I would have given it 5 stars if the sites had been further apart. However, the other campers were very quiet and respectful of each other.

Picturesque and peaceful

Upon arrival we thought this might be a cramped campground, but that was not the case. Despite being in a spot right at the intersection of the only two roads through the site, we found this to be a relaxed and tranquil site. The name suggests otherwise, but the amount of RVs, at least the weekend we were there, was far lower than the amount of tent campers (a rarity for those of us who prefer to actually camp). Ever site has stunning views of the water, though the low ground level did allow some minor flooding on our site after a squall ripped through. On that note, make sure your tent is staked VERY firmly, we lost one of our tents to a storm that rolled through off of Superior while we were out hiking!

The staff is very friendly and accommodating, the bathrooms were clean, and the site and beach were pristine. The beach is a HUGE draw for this site, running just off the main road and close to town we were shocked at how remote and untouched it felt. We had stunning sunset views every night, even when a creepy mist rolled through the site (see pictures).

There is super easy access to Marquette's dining and hiking - we were able to get out and hike Hogsback. Even easier access to hiking in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, which was the point of our trip.

I can also highly recommend not only the Pictured Rocks boat tours, but the shipwreck tours. Because of the cold water most wrecks are very well preserved.

All in all this campsite has tons to offer, not only in the site itself but in location. (One lost star simply because our fire pit was flooded out so easily)