Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, MICHIGAN

Camping Michigan Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

Most Recent Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Camping Reviews
Awesome site

Best free camping you’ll get in this area

Words Can’t Describe

This campground was stunning and got very quiet at night. LOVED it and will definitely return.

Quiet and “rustic”

“Rustic” with electricity. Vault toilets no campsites on the water, a little disappointed. But far less people than the other state campground on the other side of the lake. There is a picnic area on the water but says not a designated swimming area.

Spacious and serene

THANK YOU to the camp host at Twelve Mile campground for letting us know about this site! We were from out of state on a last minute trip and out of options for where to stay with no reservations. I'm very thankful to the state of Michigan for having first-come first-serve options like Kingston Lake!

We were lucky enough to grab a site immediately near check-out time on a Monday afternoon, in a prime spot with walk-in access to the lake. The sites are well spaced with decent privacy. Our two-person tent occupied maybe a third of the available space on the site. Most sites I think could accommodate multiple tents and vehicles. Drainage and elevation for our site was great - no standing water or mosquitoes.

There were plenty of vault toilets that were all stocked with toilet paper. The pump for water - as someone else said - was very brown and we opted to use our own bottled water instead. Our site fire pit was very full of ash, which we had to empty some of to use. I'm not sure if the state park employees empty them regularly. Four trash cans next to the information board offer a place to dump garbage, but were near capacity.

The lake was clear enough and very peaceful. The boat ramp nearby was always busy with activity of fishing or kayaking, but not near enough to camp to be too noisy.

The best review I can give is that I would stay here again!

Lakeside sites

Lovely inland lakeside sites. This is a large all sports lake and the campground has a boat launch. Some sites where uneven and hilly and may be a challenge for a large RV. First come/self registration. Most site where right up against the water, some had nice swimming areas and most would be great for kayaking access.

The secret may be out...

Growing up camping in the area, I’ve never seen so many campers! I’m assuming it’s due to the pandemic and people coming up to The UP. We meant to camp at Lake Superior State Campground but it was packed every single day even MIDWEEK! We drove over to Blindsucker 1 but the sites where very close to others without much privacy. We found site 19 at Blindsucker 2 and loved it! The toilets and well water are a short walk away. Our site had a little trail to the water but many other sites had great water view right from their tents! You’ll hear tons of water fowl at dusk! Bring your kayaks and paddle boards to float. Many trees to hang hammocks!

Rowdy and LOUD

If you want to drink beer, laugh really loud into the night and let your teenagers run amuck, this is your place! Not enough full hookup spots for the area. Staff does a good job with COVID-19 restrictions. They need to update their phone system so they can receive more than 1 phone call at a time.

We won’t stay here again.

Exciting

We swam in the river and then the lake.

Rustic camping at its finest

I have been visiting this campground since the early 90s with my family. My Dad used to come here when he was young. It does not have all the modern “glamping” amenities - no water/electric hookups here! No showers or running water! Outhouses only! And that’s just how it should stay. Half of the campsites have direct private lake access for swimming or boating purposes. The other half cozy up against the deep woods. All campsites are decently private, with a fair amount of foliage and woods separating all of them, unlike some places where you pitch a tent ten feet from your neighbors. There is a boat launch and a fish cleaning table, and every site has a picnic table and a metal ringed fire pit. This is perfect for the true rustic tent camper. I spent five days here in early July 2020 with nothing but my motorcycle and a two person tent, and it was all bird songs and wildlife. The only downsides are that there’s only one location to dispose of trash, so you could have a decent hike to do so, and the fact that there’s no electric hookups means glampers tend to run generators which can be a little annoying. But this is a wonderful place and it holds many good memories for me!

History on Lake Superiorq

Many bugs here!!!

No showers! Porta toilets were “acceptable.”

Next to The Village of Christmas and directly across the street from Kewaden Casino (albeit a super small casino), this campground offers a nice access to Lake Superior as well as the Bay Furnace historical site, which has a short trail (maybe 1/4 mile) that winds around the remains of a blast furnace used during the Industrial Revolution to make pig iron.

On the beach, you might find some glass that is a remnant from that time…