Huron-Manistee National Forests, MICHIGAN

Camping Michigan Huron-Manistee National Forests

Manistee National Forest camping is some of the best the midwest has to offer. You do not need a permit to camp on the National Forests or in designated campgrounds. If your campfire will be on National Forest System lands you will not need a wood permit to cut firewood. Dispersed and Primitive tent camping within the Forests is allowed almost anywhere, unless otherwise posted closed and/or "No Camping".

The #1 Camping App

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Huron-Manistee National Forests Camping Reviews
Beautiful views of Lake Leelanau

Plenty of beautiful views of the lake! You’re tucked away from the main road but also close enough to enjoy nearby Sutton’s Bay ( which is worth a visit)

Free rustic camping near Lake Michigan

There are plenty of really rustic pull-offs north and south of those coordinates on Green Rd. There are actually quite a few that are harder to find or even get a vehicle to without 4WD, but most of it is easily accessible in a 2WD vehicle. There are a LOT of ORVers so be prepared for people zooming up and down the road with super loud engines. Other than that, free is free.

Safe, friendly, quiet, kid friendly, the best.

Friendliest people. Amazing staff. Beautiful little campground. Honestly everyone is so friendly. Bathrooms are always clean as are the showers. There's wood and ice on the property. A great little cafet. A small general store. We have so much fun here. Tge owners are amazing. Honestly I hate writing such a great review simply because I don't want to loose my camping site. Lol people find a great place like this it'll always be booked. But honestly you can't go wrong here. The place is sandwiched between the betsie river and a paved bike path. Your 2 mile from a great beach and lake michigan. 20 min from the dunes. 35 or 40 min from Traverse city and it's gorgeous views and fun stuuf to do. Did I mention wine. Wineries are plentiful in this region too. Plus some micro brew. Just awesome. There's a small playground for the kids in this park. It's so safe the kids ride bikes and walk all over the campground with out much concern.

One of our favorites

My husband and I grew up in Onekama. It was important for us to spend time with our kids near our favorite places and this park allowed us to do that. My favorite part is that we can see the sunset every night and go right across the street for some hiking! Our kids are grown up, but we have so many fond memories work time there and still enjoy camping there.

Twisty campground layout makes for a beautiful place

This national forest campground is right along the river. A hiking trail goes right from camp. In fact there is also a day use parking area. Peterson bridge is big and crosses right outside camp.

The road in camp twists and turns providing a wonderful layout. Campsites are spread apart and are facing all different ways. There were a lot to choose from when we stopped in on a Thursday. It's nice to have paved campsites in a national forest camp. It wasn't raining when we were here but we still appreciated the pavement.

The Manistee River Trail is not far away either - perfect for day hiking or an a weekend backpack. This is a great spot to spend some time.

Nice, peaceful campground.

This campground is very nice and peaceful (especially during the day when most campers are off canoeing.) I think seeing it was in the middle of the National Forest, I assumed there would be a lot to do, but from what I can tell it’s mostly a campground for people who want to canoe in the area. We did not, so there wasn’t much to explore by foot other than the campground itself. We were able to walk to the river, but from what we saw (the office was closed our first full day there) there weren’t any other trails accessible from the campgrounds. I’d recommend planning your trip and daily activities ahead of time. Our cell service was non-existent which was a great way to disconnect, but difficult when not knowing the area well. We made the best of it, and still had fun walking around the site during the day and enjoying the view from our campsite.

Pop up site

Our plan just to find an inexpensive and wild camp and road trip to explore northern Michigan . Stumble to this camp site at midnight after 7 hours drive ( and we stop in between for few breweries visit). This site is self pay and first first serve concept . We love scenery and lake view just right in front of our tent . It was nice two days stay for our road trip to explore northern Michigan

Nice spot and out of the way

Great little camp spot right off the lake.  You have to hike in to the camp locations but its not bad. Theres no amenities except for a table but the spot is free and clean, there's also decent fishing here. Over all I would come back

Rustic and close to awesome adventures!

Every year I camp on the Green Lake side of Interlochen State Park, and this year was the first year I allowed a guest - my fiance. It's an absolutely beautiful state park, with lots of access to the lakes and in close proximity to Traverse City and Leelanau, without the tourist rush. The only thing I wish is that it was a little more quiet, because it is a very popular campground so they're usually booked up, but that's what we get for it being such a nice spot. I book the same spot every year with a great view of the lake, but the grounds aren't lacking for beautiful campsites! The store on the other side of the park is convenient. It's also Michigan's first official state park, which is neat!

I highly recommend taking the time to travel up the Leelanau Peninsula and visiting Fishtown and the Sutton's Bay Farmers Market on Saturdays during the summer. Also highly recommend St Ambrose Cellars in Beaulah if you like mead.

Great

Very nice, well taking care of.