the dyrt
Huron-Manistee National Forests, MICHIGAN
Most Recent Huron-Manistee National Forests Camping Reviews
quite family campground

We stayed here in 2018. It's a small one loop campground. The staff is super friendly and very helpful. It was quite and clean. They had free WiFi with a strong signal. Dogs are allowed, but must be on a leash at all times. Firewood is available onsite, but it's very green. Showers and bathrooms are clean, but $.75 per shower. I would definitely go back.

Favorite MI State Park

This park offers excellent access to two beautiful lakes and Traverse City is a quick 15 minute drive. The Duck Lake camground is very large. The North end is less shaded with more grass on many sites. The south campground is well shaded and has some slopped sites. Both have sites with lake frontage, but you need to book 6 months in advance to get one. Nice Beach area near the camp store. There are two boat launches for Duck Lake. Bath houses are typical of MI State Parks: adequate and cleaned regularly.

Great campground!

Nice campground with well maintained restroom/shower facilities. The owners were really great hosts! Some tent sites have electric hookups, which is always a must for us. There is a paved trail that runs by the campground, and it's less than a 3 mile walk/bike ride to downtown Frankfort and the lakeshore, which has a ton of things to do.

Great place!

One trip and we were hooked. It has become a family tradition several times a year. Worth a 2+ hour drive. Lots of water lots and lots with water views. Clean bath houses.

Excellent for canoening and hiking!

It is a great campground for a base camp! It is right next to Hamlin lake which has canoe & kayak trails. Very beautiful scenery. The hiking trails through the forest and dunes are excellent

Great winter site!

We visited during the government shut down, and this site was perfect! Campsites are in national forest but (single) pit toilet was accessible because it’s on state property!! Was amazing to connect from the site directly to the North Country Trail and fishing access could not have been better.

Quiet

We were literally the only people in the camp ground. Showers were hot, but the wall heater was a little scary (propane). The owners were very nice. We came after dark and left early, so we didn’t see too much of the campground. Nice treed setting.

Near Platte River tubing and Sleeping Bear Dunes!

We loved camping here! We were so excited to explore the sleeping bear area and this is on the southern end and 40 minutes from Traverse City. You are near the Platte River which is perfect for kayaking and tubing! The campgrounds were clean and we were near a bath house that was nicely updated. There is a RR grade trail that leads to the beach but I recommend dribing up. Even after apply a ton of bug spray we felt like we were getting eaten alive on the trail.

Connects to a walking and biking trail.

Family friendly people. Amazing place

Family friendly, there is fishing and canoeing, fire pits and swimming in the lake. They have a camp for horses too.

cheap and easy

This campground is cheap and easy to access. It has a fire pit, nearby bathrooms, WiFi, and was in short driving distance to the Sleeping Bear Dunes and Traverse City. They have a shop at the entrance where you check in and have food, ice, and firewood available. It’s definitely not remote (you’re close by to neighbors, and close to state routes), but is close to major attractions and trails and gets the job done :) Would definitely go again.

Busy Campground

This campground is really busy but its definitely worth it to be in Traverse City! It is right across from the bay so its easy to go swimming. It is also close to all of the wineries which was awesome.

Close to Elk Rapids

This campground is close to Elk Rapids which is what I really cared about. The sites are nice and large, however, I thought we would have better access to Elk Lake. I would stay here again though.

family campground

M family has been coming here since they opened many years ago. I love coming to this campground to spend time with my family. The owners are really nice and it's a very quiet and small campground where everyone knows everyone. It is situated on a small lake that is great for fishing, boating, or kayaking.

There are also little cabins you can rent that are very cute. They don't have a bathroom but are located directly across from the bathrooms and the path is well lit at night so you don't have to worry about not being able to see your way there. The cabins are very well kept up, as are the bathrooms. Often times when I stay with my grandparents, I will use the campground bathrooms over the camper bathroom because they are SO clean you never have to worry about anything.

Beautiful and diverse spots!

Awesome beach and/or forest locations for camping! Spots near the parking are but also some spots you can hike to. Beautiful all around. And pet friendly!

Fun, clean, fairly quiet if you go late August.

I greatly enjoyed my visit to the park! Very clean campsite.

Resort Camping

This campground is great for what it is, a resort type campground with tons of activities and opportunities for fun. It is not a typical campground for people looking to get lost in the woods. There are trails if you want to get away from all the action, however the main campground area is usually quite busy.

Rustic

very quiet and secluded, nice get away, #11 is the best spot

Quiet, remote, unspoiled

I hesitate to write a review fort this campground, because I don't want people to find it! But when I was looking for it, I was grateful for those who had reported on it. It's a lovely, quiet, private, in-the-middle-of-nowhere-in-the-middle-of-Michigan place on the beautiful Pine River. We listened to it burble past us all night long and it was heavenly.

Early June brought few campers yet; I don't know how busy it gets in the height of summer. It was just the quiet I needed to start the summer season. The Silver Creek Pathway is a great hike around the river -- other than that, we just enjoyed reading at the campfire and swimming in the super cold river.

Far enough away

Great state park to enjoy the Grand Traverse area without the traffic and congestion of Traverse. Sites are large and the park is clean. Lots of boaters so I assume fishing is good too.

Rustic Camp Overlooking Lake Ann

This rustic campground is setteled on a ridge overlooking Lake Ann. Camp offers outhouses and water hand pumps. Previous times I've been here we could beach our boat right on the shoreline down from camp. Across the the road from the campground is the Lake Ann Pathway which offers hiking through forested hills, along the Platte river, and along the shore of a small scenic lake. Located only a couple miles from the village of Lake Ann, you're only about 20 minutes from traverse city, and 30 minutes from the world famous sleeping bear dunes.

Roomy sites, but noisy

The campground itself is great. Big roomy sites. Walkway to the beach. Some updated restrooms. Not busy when we stayed. However, it is close to the major artery going into/out of the City. The closer you are to the highway, the louder the noise. Since the park is long and narrow going with the highway, you can hear the traffic from everywhere.

When we stayed (September) the rangers were only on property 2 hours a day. That made our check in a nightmare. We could talk with a reservation system through a phone mounted near the ranger station. However, to pick a site, we had to compare sites we wanted with a listing of reserved sites. The listing of reservations was a piece of paper with the sites and days they were reserved. The listing was confusing and it took us several trips through the park to find a site we liked that was not on the list.

Nice rustic campground near Platte River

Campsites set in forest along the upper Platte river. Sites are large and some are not far from the river. Campground has outhouses and water hand pumps. Only big down side is that it's located right on the side of the highway.

Great sites right on the water!

Great place to take a camper with family. The campground offers clean facilities, general store, rentals for the lake, and camp events like movie night. With sites right on the water remember to bring your kayak! Trails in forest give oppertunity to explore, and just down the road from Mesick also.

Large campgrounds close to lots of water

Stopped for a night on a road trip around Lake Michigan. Campgrounds was clean, and so were the toilets/showers. There were hiking trails close by, but wish they were clearly marked. Was told a black bear visits the campgrounds at least once a week, but is not much a nuisance as long as campers store their food in the car. Easy access to Platte River - kayaked the North branch, which was winding and fast moving. Go when they release the salmon from the hatchery - you feel all the salmon brush against your kayak as they swim upstream!

great place for familys, good lake swimming, great playground for kids,

They have seasonal sites as well as overnight camping and everything in between. great shaded lots great private showers and a safe building in case of extremely bad weather.

I loved this campground

Having never been to Michigan before, this campground shows how beautiful the state is. The campground was lovely and beautiful. Other campers were respectful and even after leaving my IPhone in the restroom someone actually turned it in. You can ride bikes, you can kayak, you can walk some trails, float down a river, or go to Lake Michigan. Restrooms were nice. There are also sand dunes and a lighthouse within walking distance of campground. If it wasn’t so cold there in the winter, it would be my ideal place to live.

Huuuuggggeeeee campground!

Pros: Tons of great sites Across the street from a beautiful beach Close to wineries, breweries and a fun downtown Clean showers and rest rooms

Cons: Summer is packed and some sites are very close Road noise from the highway

Great for kids!!

This is a privately owned campground with showers, garbage pickup each day & handicapped facilities. Sites are available for rustic (tents up to RV's with electricity hookups. Its a nice clean lake and shallow sandy swimming areas great for kids. This resort includes: SEWER SITES  PICNIC TABLES FIRE RINGS SHADY SITES FISHING  FISH CLEANING HOUSE BOAT RAMP FREE FISH FREEZING BOAT DOCKS  BOAT AND KAYAK RENTAL INSECT CONTROL DISPOSAL STATION .

We would go for 10 days at a time with other RVers ( 7 groups) with our kids each year when they were young and they still talk about the fun memories of this campground. The owners are so friendly and treat everyone as part of their family. We would always book our stay for the following year before leaving from our stay. Lots of shade with mature trees are at the campground, making it perfect for the hot summer vacations!

Smaller family owned with all the amenities you need,

The first time I camped here was in the 1970's. It is beautiful, peaceful campground on Lake Leelanau which is located on the Leelanau peninsula in between West Traverse Bay and Lake Michigan in close proximity to the little town of Lake Leelanau, Suttons Bay, Leland and many Michigan wineries. Also not far from Glen Arbor and Sleeping Bear Dunes.

This is one of my favorite campgrounds in Michigan.