Huron-Manistee National Forests, MICHIGAN
Most Recent Huron-Manistee National Forests Camping Reviews
Perfect CG

We found a gem. Office staff very accommodating. Sites large. Easy in and out. Clean. Quiet. Great for couples and families.
Highly recommend!!!!

Do not recommend ...

Do not go to this campground with a large RV or one that you treasure. ALL roads that lead to this cg are dirt, rocky, giant holes, low tree branches, muddy and not conducive to travel on with truck/fifth wheel RV. Also, directions are very wrong on GPS. We found out the hard way. Sorry Whiskey Creek.

Traverse City

We love Traverse City and being able to camp somewhat near downtown. One of our favorite things is being connected to the bike paths so we can bike to downtown area while staying on bike trails!Campground is busy and small sites but our favorite place to camp is along the back fence with great hammock trees and the fire pit behind our trailer. It makes it feel like your not in a big busy packed campground. The bath houses on the end we like are very dated and are usually clean but still show their age! The other end had nicer newer shower/bath houses. You do need to walk across a bridge to get to the bay but not a long walk.

The Traverse City area has a lot to do!

Awesome campground!

My husband took me here for my birthday on year and now it has become a tradition! The sites back right up to the river what better view in your backyard then the river. It is peaceful but there are activities to keep the kids busy. They have kayaking, tubing, and canoes available, if you are someone like me that loves the water this campground is paradise!

Great Campground

Campground is very large with a good mix of sites types and sizes. Has a adventure center that includes go carts. Heated swimming pool, nice general store and very friendly staff. AND the bathrooms are always very clean and well kept.

Quiet

It's probably the least used campsite I have ever been to and I love it. I've been coming to this campsite for about 15 years now and it's still as quiet as the first year. There's no electricity, my cell service is crap here, and the vault toilets are clean normally. Its really cheap to use as well.

Peaceful

Great family spot. Awesome for bike riding and site seeing. Bring your kayak.

Great Location

Not your "camping" quiet being off the main drag into TC. (And always busy) However, it's in the heart of TC right by the bay beach and bike trail. Great camp ground if you want to be convenient on TC.

Lake Michigan Lookout

Not much to do other than looking at the beautiful Lake Michigan. Rocking as well. Off of a busy road. Great campground for landing along a route.

Quiet

Nice quiet visit. Close to town but yet feel far enough away. Lovely camp store with local merchandise.

Magical.

This place has stolen my soul, and it keeps me coming back. The campsites are clean, the trails are well kept, and it’s right by my favorite Lake Michigan beach.

Perfect place on the lake

This is a great campground, we always start our camping season here. Hodenpyle Dam lake is a great, quiet area. It close enough to several places which makes it convenient to get in some sight seeing in Traverse City, Frankfort and Manistee. Their rates a reasonable too.

Great and easy

First come first serve sites, but it’s a super awesome place to go when everything else is booked.

Wooded and Spacious

Our first time here, June 2019! We had 7 people and shared 2 sites. The sites in the south loop are very generous and full shade. The people limit per sit is 6, but you can probably fit 8 per site in tents. We had site 381 which was lake view!!! Its steep to the water but there was a view and a great breeze. I docked it one star for the massive amount of gnats and fish flies, they were everywhere. Luckily the mosquitos weren't bad. The sites by the water were the smallest and massive in the back. Working bathrooms and showers, although covered in flies, but they had cleaners in there every morning to wipe them off every surface, they just keep coming back.

The lake is a good size and a great swimming hole. I saw a ton of fisherman on the lake in the mornings. Each site has a big fire ring with about a 4 inches concrete wall around it and a picnic table. The sites were perfectly flat and had a great sandy/dirt ground which was perfect for our tents and the campers didnt seem to have any problems. Some sites do have pads for campers.

Small campground, big ambiance

This campground has the feel of a hike-in campground while being accessible by vehicle. It is located off the beaten path in the middle of nowhere, down a couple of well-marked dirt roads about 20 miles from the highway. There are only 8 sites, but each site is spacious. Sites are divided by small stands of trees providing some privacy from neighboring sites. 4 of the sites are facing the lake. Fire ring, picnic table, vault toilets and hand pump water. Surprisingly good cell reception. There is a dirt boat ramp, but only for trolling motor, canoes and kayaks. Very quiet campground.

3 Things is all you need

1) the drinking water is fantastic 2) trails galore 3) spacious campsites

Camping with kids, Loop 3

This review describes loop 3 only.

This camp is beautiful with old growth trees and plenty of privacy. Electric sites are paved and clean with a nice fire pit and picnic table. Firewood available at the entrance to the loop (we drove - too far to walk while carrying a bundle of wood) for $5/bundle from a vending machine that only takes cash - $1 and $5 bills specifically. Nearby Riverside Canoe Rental also has firewood available, but theirs was $6.50/bundle and not completely dry; we much preferred the vending machine wood.

Reviews we read mentioned that no bicycles are allowed, which we took to mean not allowed on the grounds. This was not the case - plenty of campers were riding bikes; however, there were signs on the hiking trails banning bicycles.

The hiking trail to Lake Michigan was a disappointment for our family. The trail gives way to sand about halfway in, so it’s a pretty difficult hike to a lackluster beach that isn’t well-maintained. There was a lot of litter and other refuse washed on shore. It was very secluded, which was nice. Next time, we’ll drive to a beach instead.

The bathroom and showers were very nice and clean, and there were a lot of little trails through the woods, shortcuts to access the bathroom without having to walk the paved loop. The girls’ bathroom had three stalls and the boys’ had two stalls and two urinals. Two private showers were on the opposite side of the building, along with a nice deep sink for washing dishes. BYO dish soap and rag.

The company was quite pleasant. Quiet hours started at 10:00 p.m., when the camp became noticeably silent.

The one feature this campground lacks is a playground, which will probably deter us from camping here again with our kids.

Also noteworthy is the Riverside Canoe Rental nearby where you can rent tubes, kayaks, and canoes, as well as stock up on fuel, groceries, beer and wine, souvenirs, and anything else you could probably want. They even have a cute ice cream shop.

Not a good place if you want to sleep in

Owners operating heavy equipment at 7 am dogs barking at all hours of the night and early in the morning tiny campsites and you can't pick your own site

Cozy Rustic

I went camping here for my Birthday over Memorial Day weekend. This is a hidden gem in northern Michigan, our campsite was right on the lake where we were able to pull our boat right up to, plenty of private space, and so fun to fish. I will definitely be back!

Large lots & Happy trails

The space we rented was supposedly big enough for 25 people! I couldn’t believe how big the spaces were. I don’t like how small the private drives to the sites are though, makes it impossible to back out. The dirt roads leading to the sites were hard to navigate as well and made me go in circles. There is no entrance map so I had to use GPS which took me to a dead end. It was a great site however and had small trails around the lake nearby, along with a suspension bridge.

Most beautiful park in Michigan

This is hands down my absolute favorite spot in Michigan (so far). They have primitive campsites too, if you choose to go that route like we do. Right on Lake Michigan, and you can even see the sleeping bear dunes about 10 miles north of the beach. If you go at the right tone in the fall, you will even see salmon jumping out of Platte River which is really cool!

Platte River Campground

NOTE: The GPS location in this app is incorrect, the actual location is 5685 Lake Michigan Rd, Honor MI.

This is a very nice wooded campground in within the Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore Park. The sites are wooded and pretty private and provide tree coverage. Bathrooms are nice, but you must pay to use the showers. Campsite isn’t directly on Lake Michigan, but there is a hiking path to the lake.

The real draw of this campsite (which fills up extremely fast, so reserve early) is the Sleeping Bear sand dunes and surrounding areas. When you are consider doing any of the following: Tubing the Platte River Hiking The Empire Bluffs Trail Visiting the Dune Climb Driving the Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive Swimming at any of the beaches in the Empire area

Great campground, close to so much to do!

We spent most of our time at the pet friendly beach. So many places to hike and so much fun to swim. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We hiked or swam, visited and attempted to climb the dunes lol, saw some shows at the amphitheater and saw a historic cabin on site. A firewood vending machine? Pretty basic camping but very nice.

Great family place!

Great sites and fun activities!

Great place!!

Owners are the best!! Quiet and clean campground

Best kept Secret

Great for the Backpacking novice. One of my favorite places when I want to camp off the Lake Michigan shore. A very short hike in if you want to stay on the beach. Also several Two-track sites for car and RV camping. Close to Hamlin lake for fishing and kayaking or for larger boats as well. Very Rustic. No utilities. But your neighbors will never see you running naked around the fire unless they happen to be driving by the two-track road.

Nice Shady spot, great service and float!

Nice large shady spots, water and electricity. Staff was very friendly and only charged a small fee to take our own blown up raft up river to float down to camp. They do rent as well. River was very cool and clean. Not too deep in July and we had lots of places to swim and fish. Slow enough that my 4 yr old was able to wade with out problems many places. We really enjoyed our stay here and had we not also booked elsewhere we might have stayed! Playground, shop and basketball hoop available. We saw a lot of wildlife including deer, turkey, herons, black squirrel, frogs, and crayfish! We had a blast, nice place.

The Best Michigan Has to offer

One of my Favorite places in Michigan to camp. Out of the way without being out of the way. The walk in sites are a very short walk and well away from the other sites. The drive in sites are the same. Very nice maintained sites throughout the park. Showers and running toilets when you need to feel civilized again. Nice hike Lake Michigan. Short distance and great paddle down platte river. Lot's of stuff to do in the area including Sleeping Bear Dunes, Glenn Arbor, and my favorite, the Cherry Bowl Drive In. Perfect for the Novice Camper to the most experienced bushcraft camper.

A friendly place between 2 Lakes

Clean…updated…longest continually operating campground in Michigan

Walk-in sites

Walk in sites were awesome! Short walk, but definitely felt isolated from civilization. Could see neighbors tents, but no one was on top of each other. Bear vaults shared between 2 spots, which was nice not to have to walk back to the car a million times. Bathrooms were clean, did not use shower but heard good things about it. Little store and burger stand just outside the campground too! Walk to beach was quick and easy and although it was Memorial Day weekend we had the beach to ourselves!