Ottawa National Forest, MICHIGAN

Camping Michigan Ottawa National Forest
Most Recent Ottawa National Forest Camping Reviews
Beautiful family campground

Beautiful family campground on the North ashore of Lake Superior. It has RV, tent and back country sites as well as cabins and yurts for rent. Many amazing hiking trails and beautiful waterfalls to explore near by. Campground has large clean bathrooms and showers and a nice camp store. It is also pet friendly and has WiFi,  but no playground.  We stayed at site 82 which had a partial view of the lake and backed the tree line. It was a nice site. I gave this campground 4 out of 5 stars because some of the sites were a little too close together but overall a great campground and we will be back!

Beautiful Lakefront Sites

I really liked this campground. The lakeshore was so beautiful and we were literally right next to the water. The lake front sites weren’t super level but worth the trouble to have the view we had. Nice shower house and flushing toilets only a few yards down the road. My husband and I won’t hesitate to stay here again

Love this place!

Busy place in July! Perfect location to plan multi-family camping. Lots of amenities on site and nearby.

Fun place for kids

Great swimming for kids! Lots of activities and amenities to enjoy.

User friendly & close to town and quiet

Great place to stay. Right next to Black River. Sites sit back from highway so easy access and quiet. Open year round. Showers. Owner is friendly and very helpful.

Unpretentious and quiet

We stayed in this rustic campground mid-week in mid-September and were glad to find it wasn't busy or noisy. I think we hit it just right post-summer and pre-autumn colors (although several patches of trees along the way were blazing with fall color!). Loved that it had a 'no generator' side to help with the quiet we were seeking. While I had first booked Site 19 because all the lake sites were taken and I liked its privacy tucked into the woods a bit, we found that it was almost all dirt and, with rain expected, we didn't want to hang out in a mud bowl. We went back to the ranger and he recommended Site 11, which was actually super nice--still somewhat private but also grassy and with a slight view of Lake Superior.  I think 18 would be great, too, if the lake sites are unavailable. All of those looked awesome, with my favorites being #10 and #6. Site 10 was right across from us and was vacant for the majority of our stay, which allowed us to set our chairs on the bluff overlooking the lake and read and enjoy the views.

The weather was unseasonably warm for mid-September and Lake Superior was oddly calm. This resulted in some flies, which was a bummer. Every night, though, the winds kicked up around dinner time and they were gone. When they were hanging around, though, (mostly mornings), they made cooking miserable and also the pit toilets buzzed with them, which was not fun. But I think once the autumn temps kick in and the winds sustain a bit, they'd be much less of an issue.

The park is in an amazing location, with the Presque Isle River running through it and phenomenal hiking trails/vistas right there. It was also an easy drive to Lake of the Clouds, Summit Peak, and Ontonagon. Just stunning forests, waterfalls, hills and drives and, of course, the incomparable Lake Superior all within easy reach. We also stopped at Bond Falls on our way to the Porkies from the east, which was beautiful.

Love the UP; love the remoteness yet accessibility (if that makes sense) of this campground; love tent camping on Lake Superior; love this place.

Good Pit Stop

This is a nice clean campground if you’re looking for a quick overnight on your way to a better destination. The sites are wide open with no privacy.

Great week

Quite little park, a waterfall about 5 minutes away. Right on a lake. We were site 44 it rained a lot. But it didn't flood the site. So that was a bonus. Bathrooms were outdated but we'll kept. Dave; the wood guy came around every day at 5 and had some nice wood for fires. We would stay again!

Gorgeous sunset and Sunrise in July.

Great park. Explore 100 miles of trails and sleep under the stars. Love the sites on the water. Reserve early as it is booked during July and August.  Firewood available at outpost store just before you enter park. Be sure to stop and pick some up before you check in. It’s kind of a far walk when hauling wood if you are driving a motor home.

One of Our Favorites

Rustic, cliffs of Superior, near an abundance of nature and waterfalls. Not much more you need.

Quiet, laid-back place

Right across the street is a river. They have a few docks. Just a few blocks from the Ontonagon city marina. Somewhat close to city beaches on Lake Superior. The bathrooms and showers are always clean. Nice pull through sites and full hookups. You can socialize or keep to yourselves.

Comfortable

Clean bathrooms and shower areas. Easy hook up for water, electric and sewer. RV sites nice but would prefer more trees. Nice fire pits. Wood available for purchase. Driving a short distance to fun towns. Pretty quite.

Hiker's Dream

The campground itself is clean and has large sites on the back row, smaller sites on lake superior, and average sized sites in the Center. There are many hike in sites available for tenters, and also hike to cabins and yurts. The hiking is in the mountains and mostly point to point. Be prepared to hike some distances with steep climbs and descents, and uneven footing. At the visitors center they have suggested levels of difficulty and numbers of hours for various hikes posted on the wall. I recommend a little research before starting your hike. We loved the lake of the clouds ridge hike and the presque river water falls hikes. Beautiful sites and peaceful hikes. Often there was no one else around. We found we had the sunsets at lake in the clouds all to ourselves.

Beautiful park! Must come back!

This is a very large park! It took me 45 minutes to drive across the whole park. My favorite spot was prequel isle with the water falls! There is also a cliff face to hike along and see Lake Superior. Another noteworthy attraction is mirror lake!

Perfect Rustic Hidden Gem

Northern Highland American Legion State forest- Plum lake is a long name.

They check in is at Crystal Lake and it's kind of hard to find plum lake if you don't know the area. That is THE ONLY bad thing I have to say.

This is a rustic campground. No electricity or running water. It does have a hand pump if you need water (it was really cool and easy to use). Vault toilets.

Most campsites are "non reservable" but we were able to reserve 1209. Right on the lake and next to the creek. The map makes it look like it is a "hike to" campsite. It is not. There are 4 stairs. You just can't bring a trailer.

I cannot say enough on how great the camp hosts were. Toilet paper replenished every morning. Vault toilets were the cleanest I'd ever seen. It didn't ever smell like a vault toilet! They racked each sites sand after the campers left and stacked left over wood. It was wonderful.

The beach isn't really a typical beach. It's a grassy field that has a set of stairs to the lake and all the sand is under water. But holy moly, the view! See the pictures.

Close to 4 beautiful waterfalls and a nice beach. Very pretty rustic campground.

We went second week of August. Campsite 21 has a small path directly to lake Superior. The real gem here is all the waterfalls nearby. Exhausting but breathtaking. My only complaint would be the flies not the biting kind but the annoy you to death kind. The campsitea aren't really as secluded as they depict online but still pretty private.

Boulder Junction 07/2019

Love Boulder Junction! Always a great time to spend 4th of July ❤️🎉🎊

Beautiful place!

Spacious and level sites, all mowed grass. Very clean bathrooms with hot showers. Absolutely sweetest older lady running the place…she brought me a piece of cheesecake that she made and gave my dog some dog treats, too! Firewood was reasonably priced and a generous amount. I will definitely stay here again and highly recommend!

Love Patricia lake

Owners friendly and helpful Sites are clean and not too close together. Large fenced in dog run and also area for dogs to swim Quiet too

Very nice Wisconsin north woods campground

Nice clean well kept campground, nice sized sites , clean restrooms, some sites right on the water. Good swimming beach . Lots for kids to do , friendly owners.

Nice place cheap

Great campground 20$ a nite with electric and water!!!!!Some have sewer. Beautiful walking trail along river. Quiet. Campsite for tents and RV. Call for directions lol The gps takes you to the old back entrance. The owner was an awesome lady she helped us find a repair guy for a breakdown. They do not take credit cards !!

Some sights could be mowed but hey for this price and this location so what!! Definitely will return

Great

Loved the hike in, decided to walk the whole loop and unfortunately the bridge at the end was under water and we had to turn around and walk back instead. Lake was gorgeous and the hike in wasn’t too bad.

Love

Very hospitable. Sites were large and well cared for. Trails, parks, and a beach. Very affordable kayak and canoe rentals. Friendly staff. Wood for sale on site, fishing pole rentals, tennis courts. Will definitely come back!

Wouldn’t suggest

Most of the sites looked like they had been deserted for years. A few good sites for campers though. The primitive camp sites couldn’t fit a tent if you tried. Bathroom was clean but no one at front desk or to answer my calls.

Last Minute Save!

This campground saved the day when we visited the Porcupine Mountains. We might have skipped the step about doing enough research, and we arrived after a 10 hour drive to find that everything in the backcountry and campground were 100% full. I wouldn’t really rave about much else, other than the view of the beach and the fact that it’s really close to hiking in the park. The entire grounds are just a large grassy area and a lot of the sites were a little soggy when we were there. BUT, like I said, it totally saved our asses, so it gets 4 stars! Oh, and the bathrooms were SO CLEAN! Like epic clean👌

Great place

Great park with lots of different types of sites however they are fairly close together

You will love it here

We decided to go on a two week no plans but travel trip and found this campground by mistake and so happy we did. Super nice family-owned location with showers, wifi and so much more. You are just a 1-minute walk from the lake. You for sure will not be disappointed with the decision to stay here.