About Munising Municipal Tourist Park
Municipal
Hike In
Munising Municipal Tourist Park is located in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan
26 Reviews of Munising Municipal Tourist Park
Great location, camp on Lake Superior

We booked rustic site I. It is about a quarter mile walk from the parking, but gives you your own beach site. Water, trash and rest rooms are in main campground. There are 2 shower houses. Wood and kindling are for sale. The little camp office has stickers, hats and fun stuff. We have t mobile and had cell service and site has wifi. If you are in main camp there is electric available. If you go rustic, be prepared to walk your trash and food out before turning in. Also, we brought a luggable loo and pop up change tent because I was not walking a quarter mile to the bathroom at 2am. View is gorgeous and if right on the lake is more important than convenience, this is your spot.

Great campground especially the waterfront sites

We booked late yet could get only 2 nights at this park. We were in site # 86 with full hook up. The waterfront sites (lake Superior) were amazing with fire pits behind the campers on the beach. All the big driftwood along the shoreline. It's a nice park, we walked the beach with a cocktail & met some nice people. We made dinner & were sitting there at our picnic table when a ice cream guy came buy in a tricycle playing music came by we bout ice cream for dessert. Loved it he was a volunteer working for the park.

We had a family next to us in a tent with 4 kids & the youngest cried all night. OMG I'm glad we only had 2 nights of it.  This campground is beautiful, it was cool out and raining a bit so we were limited on what to do.

We went to Picture Rock, Miners Castle, Munising falls, and other little falls along the road.  I would go here again

Great Area to Tour While Camping

Great place to stay while visiting the Munising area. Lots of cool area shops and even a few waterfalls nearby. Hard to beat the great Lake Superior views. We came at a good time of year, and there were quite a few people around.

Lake Superior views!

The hike in rustic sites offer some Breath taking views!

Beautiful Lake Superior shoreline

City run campground on lake superior. Beautiful views, sandy shore. Most sites have water and electricity, some have sewer hookup. Some walk in sites on the shoreline. We camped on site 5. Pros: 1) Huge, wide open site, no trees. 2) lakefront site, great view. 3) great spot to base camp, near Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Grand Island National Recreation Area, and the Hiawatha National Forest.
Cons: 1) water and electric are far apart,meaning I had to run 55' of electric cord and 75' of water hose in opposite directions to hook up. 2) no buffer for strong winds off lake superior 3) highway is very close to the campground, noise is constant 4) some sites are low and flood after rains

Just amazing

We landed here just by chance with no plans and found a huge lot open. Stayed 3 nights and every night was breathtaking. From the sunset to the waterfront spot it was perfect. Restrooms were close and more. Super friendly staff close to everything you would want to do in Munising.

Right on the beach!!

We lucked out and got a last minute rustic site in late July. No near neighbors, really felt like a private beach! Restrooms were far, far away, so be prepared for that (I have two kids with me and my daughter was not thrilled about the options I gave her!) We brought a sport wagon to haul stuff from the parking lot in, not a bad walk- one a little bridge, into the woods. The waves were loud enough to drown out the highway, which was near. Great location and beach!

I love this campground! Friendly staff

GREAT campground!! I have stayed here twice, the campground is positioned right on Lake Superior and if you’re lucky and can grab a lake front space - it’s gorgeous! There are a variation of sites from full hookup to Rustic tent areas, I have stayed in both and they all offer plenty of space for your setup.

The facilities are always clean and the staff is extremely accommodating! They even gave me a refund when they were able to resell my site for a night I decided to stay on Grand Island instead.

They also offer showers for $5 for people backpacking near by.

You can purchase firewood (and wheelbarrow it to your site), some snacks, fire starters, camping necessities, and cute souvenirs in the check-in building.

Busy

Smaller park perfect for a stop along your route. All paved sites but sits right on Lake Superior. Always a full park. Close to Munising and all the Pictured Rock attractions.

Serene and Movie Like

Positioned at a good distance from the town of Munising, meaning far enough so you feel disconnected, but still close enough to were you can quickly reach the town, this campground is easily one of the best in the area and one of my favorites.  Complete with entities such as showers, this campground overlooks Grand Island and various other smaller islands, resting in Lake Superior, it really makes you feel like you are in a movie.  One of the hidden gems of this campground is the rustic tent sites, which allow you to camp on the beach, have fires on the beach under the stars, and wake up to the sound of gently crashing waves.  It also is a good size campground, creating the family neighborhood atmosphere and with the way it is designed and the view it gives, it helps make connect with nature and fellow campers in a cool way.  If you want to explore Pictured Rocks, and camping is your thing, this is the place to go.