About Munising Municipal Tourist Park
Municipal
Munising Municipal Tourist Park is located in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan
14 Reviews of Munising Municipal Tourist Park
Amazing

This place is very clean and a lot of spots, some big some Not. It’s very beautiful there!

Great Campground, Slightly Condensed

We stayed at Tourist Park this past August which is obviously peak season. I was able to secure the very last spot for the night we were staying there which was pretty much right next to the check-in cabin so basically right in the middle of everything. We had no problem sleeping or enjoying our stay as everyone is always so nice but if you are staying in the middle area of the campground there won't be a ton of privacy. The campground does have a beach area with a view of Grand Island. The campground is closer to Christmas, MI than Munising but there is a gas station and even a casino near by so it works out just fine. Overall I will definitely be back, but if at all possible I will try to book my site towards the outside of the campground perimeter.

Friendly staff, beautiful location

Hands down the people that work here are wonderful. They bring you right to your site and help you back in. They even loaned me an extra power cord and helped hold up my awning when I put it up.

It’s a lovely quiet waterfront and easily accessible. Wish we would have snagged a site with a view but the public access points are just fine.

Cons - not much shade or privacy. Playground is falling apart (slide and swings)

Kayak Adventure

Booked this trip with the sole purpose of kayaking the Pictured Rocks National Park. Camp site was great, had a great walk in site which was right in the beach of Lake Superior.

The facilities of the campground were great. The shower and bathroom facilities were clean, and easily accessible. Drinking water was readily available, as was fire wood for purchase.

Overall a great location and experience.

Picturesque and peaceful

Upon arrival we thought this might be a cramped campground, but that was not the case. Despite being in a spot right at the intersection of the only two roads through the site, we found this to be a relaxed and tranquil site. The name suggests otherwise, but the amount of RVs, at least the weekend we were there, was far lower than the amount of tent campers (a rarity for those of us who prefer to actually camp). Ever site has stunning views of the water, though the low ground level did allow some minor flooding on our site after a squall ripped through. On that note, make sure your tent is staked VERY firmly, we lost one of our tents to a storm that rolled through off of Superior while we were out hiking!

The staff is very friendly and accommodating, the bathrooms were clean, and the site and beach were pristine. The beach is a HUGE draw for this site, running just off the main road and close to town we were shocked at how remote and untouched it felt. We had stunning sunset views every night, even when a creepy mist rolled through the site (see pictures).

There is super easy access to Marquette's dining and hiking - we were able to get out and hike Hogsback. Even easier access to hiking in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, which was the point of our trip.

I can also highly recommend not only the Pictured Rocks boat tours, but the shipwreck tours. Because of the cold water most wrecks are very well preserved.

All in all this campsite has tons to offer, not only in the site itself but in location. (One lost star simply because our fire pit was flooded out so easily)

On the lake

Grest campground right on the lake!

Nice camp site

This is a nice spacious campsite. The sites have plenty of room s for multiple cars to park. The view of Lake Superior is fantastic in the evening. Hot showers with plenty of shower rooms were nice too

Secluded and nice, be prepared for weather

Stayed in a rustic tent spot. Short walk to your site from where you can park. Rustic tent spots are mostly sand right on the beach. We experienced quite some rain one of our nights. We had a tarp set up but it collected a lot of water. Nice clean campground. Wish we had been more prepared for weather.

Beautiful sunsets, stupid reservation system

Reservations difficult to get, there's a time frame to apply for the best sites. Always full in summer. Beautiful beaches and the sunsets are awesome. Has some full hookups. Right off main road for easy access. For the people looking to base camp and visit all the sights it's good. Looking to camp quietly, no.

Best for Rvs/families

This is a large, very clean campground, with nice bathrooms, and is right on lake Superior. Swimmers (who can stand the cold) rejoice! I've camped here in 2 different ways. Once in a giant RV with my family. (good.) and once in a tent. (not so great.) It had been rainy, and finding a non muddy tent location was a chore. Luckily, we found a spot under some of the only trees in the campground. (it's a very very open campground.) I'm a huge "camp being surrounded by trees" kind of person so just the ambiance of this place was setting me off. But reason #2 as to why this place was not the best experience: noise. Dear lord. Without trees to cut some of the chatter at night, I could hear every word, every snore, every sneeze of anyone within a 100 foot radius. I had to get up past midnight and tell a couple to stop playing music on their phone. They did. And then went into their tent and starting having audible sex. Neat.

TLDR: RV camping with the fam? GREAT! Tent: Only if you have to!