About Munising Municipal Tourist Park
Municipal
Hike In
Munising Municipal Tourist Park is located in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan
21 Reviews of Munising Municipal Tourist Park
Just amazing

We landed here just by chance with no plans and found a huge lot open. Stayed 3 nights and every night was breathtaking. From the sunset to the waterfront spot it was perfect. Restrooms were close and more. Super friendly staff close to everything you would want to do in Munising.

Right on the beach!!

We lucked out and got a last minute rustic site in late July. No near neighbors, really felt like a private beach! Restrooms were far, far away, so be prepared for that (I have two kids with me and my daughter was not thrilled about the options I gave her!) We brought a sport wagon to haul stuff from the parking lot in, not a bad walk- one a little bridge, into the woods. The waves were loud enough to drown out the highway, which was near. Great location and beach!

I love this campground! Friendly staff

GREAT campground!! I have stayed here twice, the campground is positioned right on Lake Superior and if you’re lucky and can grab a lake front space - it’s gorgeous! There are a variation of sites from full hookup to Rustic tent areas, I have stayed in both and they all offer plenty of space for your setup.

The facilities are always clean and the staff is extremely accommodating! They even gave me a refund when they were able to resell my site for a night I decided to stay on Grand Island instead.

They also offer showers for $5 for people backpacking near by.

You can purchase firewood (and wheelbarrow it to your site), some snacks, fire starters, camping necessities, and cute souvenirs in the check-in building.

Busy

Smaller park perfect for a stop along your route. All paved sites but sits right on Lake Superior. Always a full park. Close to Munising and all the Pictured Rock attractions.

Serene and Movie Like

Positioned at a good distance from the town of Munising, meaning far enough so you feel disconnected, but still close enough to were you can quickly reach the town, this campground is easily one of the best in the area and one of my favorites.  Complete with entities such as showers, this campground overlooks Grand Island and various other smaller islands, resting in Lake Superior, it really makes you feel like you are in a movie.  One of the hidden gems of this campground is the rustic tent sites, which allow you to camp on the beach, have fires on the beach under the stars, and wake up to the sound of gently crashing waves.  It also is a good size campground, creating the family neighborhood atmosphere and with the way it is designed and the view it gives, it helps make connect with nature and fellow campers in a cool way.  If you want to explore Pictured Rocks, and camping is your thing, this is the place to go.

just stayed a night

Since reservations were hard to come by closer to Pictured Rocks- busy weekend in Sept!  We stayed here our first night.  I am not a huge fun of campgrounds of this type- with smaller, less secluded sites, but in a bind it worked out well.  Good facilities and near Tannery Falls which was a nice little hike to a large waterfall.  Large number of sites, we will opt for the rustic tent/walk-in sites next time since they seemed to be more secluded.

Some sites very near the water- I would think these are a good choice! We arrived late, so had minimal options.

*visit Tannery Falls- Not a ton of water flowing, but very rustic and relaxed place! We didn't see anyone else for most of our time there :)   Also near is Munising falls- easy access to a nice waterfall and Miners Falls another pretty easy to access falls.

Great private campground!

Awesome spot to camp if you’re visiting the pictured rocks. There are no campgrounds in the National Park itself, so it’s about a 15-20 minute drive to see them. The campground had everything I could ask for! The showers were warm and spacious, and they even had WiFi so I could submit some homework (school doesn’t stop for camping unfortunately). They had a camp store with wood and little souvenirs, and the hosts were great and made sure we had what we needed. Only downside was the wood was a little expensive, and they went around collected unused wood to resell it (I like to leave any wood leftover for the next campers!) The campers next to us gave us all their wood before they left though, so that was awesome! The pictured rocks and Munising have tons of trails and awesome waterfalls to explore, as well as the cruise and kayak tours of the rocks. Eh Burger was an awesome spot to go for dinner before our sunset cruise! We will definitely be camping here again when we want to go back to see the rocks.

Amazing

This place is very clean and a lot of spots, some big some Not. It’s very beautiful there!

Great Campground, Slightly Condensed

We stayed at Tourist Park this past August which is obviously peak season. I was able to secure the very last spot for the night we were staying there which was pretty much right next to the check-in cabin so basically right in the middle of everything. We had no problem sleeping or enjoying our stay as everyone is always so nice but if you are staying in the middle area of the campground there won't be a ton of privacy. The campground does have a beach area with a view of Grand Island. The campground is closer to Christmas, MI than Munising but there is a gas station and even a casino near by so it works out just fine. Overall I will definitely be back, but if at all possible I will try to book my site towards the outside of the campground perimeter.

Friendly staff, beautiful location

Hands down the people that work here are wonderful. They bring you right to your site and help you back in. They even loaned me an extra power cord and helped hold up my awning when I put it up.

It’s a lovely quiet waterfront and easily accessible. Wish we would have snagged a site with a view but the public access points are just fine.

Cons - not much shade or privacy. Playground is falling apart (slide and swings)