Flint, MICHIGAN

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Flint Camping Reviews
Beautiful overall

Our arrival was a little stressful. After have making a prior request for a quiet site during an advanced reservation, we were squeezed into a tight site between inconsiderate campers who had sprawled their belongings all over our site. We insisted on a different site and were placed across the bridge on a beautiful huge site on the lake! After that, everything was wonderful. There isn’t much outside of the campground but that was ok for us. Bathrooms were clean. Small store (with rude young ladies running the show), but all was tolerable. Would stay again.

Quiet and private

This is a lovely park with lake & beach access. My site was private and had electric only. Bathrooms were very clean and neighboring campers were friendly!

Helpful staff

Staff is super helpful, we stayed long term (several months) for work in the area. Winter rates. I understand summer rates are much higher.

Clean, well kept, with lots for kids and teenagers too

Holly Recreation area is located in northern Oakland County, just north of Detroit. It is a very nice place to get away from the city without having to drive hours. The campground is divided into a day use side and the campground. There are a few lakes, one very large one that has fishing and electric motor boating. They rent kayaks, canoes, and stand up paddle boards. The beach area also boast a pay area called Jump Island which is a blow up island in the middle which has multiple places to climb, slide, jump and land in the water. The campground its self is around 150 sites that tend to book quickly. The sites are great because they are mostly divided by trees and you don't back up to each other. The terrain is somewhat hilly in parts but the sites are mostly level and paved. There is many sites that are mostly sunny in two of the loops and mainly shady in the other two loops so there is something for all. They have the best Hollyween event in the fall. There are several playgrounds, a basketball court, hiking trails, and the tether ball is always busy.

Local Trail With Beautiful Views

I highly enjoy this park year round. The trails are consistently well kept and easily marked to follow. I just visited yesterday and although there was ice, due to warmer conditions today the trails were a bit muddy. Overall pleasant hike. Highly recommend

Truly a beautiful vacation spot

I enjoyed the trails, disc golf and overall wonderful Park staff! Extremely clean and well-kept

I'll not return

Very expensive, noisy, poor site conditions with both fire pit and table badly needing replacing as both are seriously rotted. Only has 2 shower stalls so be prepared for a long wait at peak times. You can not reserve a site, you're assigned one when you arrive so you'll have to hope you get one that will fit your needs.

Ranger Review: Banner and Oak Pathfinder hat at Holly State Rec

As a Ranger the Dyrt sends me products to test. This trip my husband and I tested hats from Banner and Oak. https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hats-ladies/products/pathfinder-blue   I found the pathfinder soft comfortable and it stayed secure on my head on a blustery rainy day. Even with a buff on underneath for keeping my ears warm. I did find the brim to be a little large for my face and I had to turn my head up at odd angles to take a selfie or as you can see in the video below.  My Husband Steve found the Sierra did not fit his head well He felt it looked too tall from the front, and the band was itchy.

Holly State Rec

Pretty park with several well marked trails. We stayed in the Maple loop which had several semi-private sites screened from neighbors by trees. I think site #1 was one of the roomiest and prettiest. The bathrooms were clean. There were several playgrounds, bench swings, play fields and even a basketball court. The ADA sites had pavement surrounding the fire rings and space at the picnic tables for a wheel chair.

Rustic, beautiful views

We got lucky with our site right on the water and the temperature was nice and cool so we did not have to deal with any bugs. We hiked right in and setup camp. This place only allows camping for one night as it's considered a pass-through campground. There is a decently clean outhouse(it appears to be cleaned daily by DNR staff), and each site has its own fire pit. The views are wonderful and the surrounding sites appeared to be enjoying themselves as well. Our site, B6, was equipped with a table, bench, and a fire pit. From what I could tell no other sites had a bench; fire pit and table only. We found another place to park which allowed us to cut down on our hike time because I was not about that 4 miles+ life. Our hike was maybe 15, 20 minutes tops. If staying on the water is not your jam, there were places at a higher elevation to try. There is also a fresh water pump. No electricity. You must hunt for the wood you want to burn in the pit. No ground fires. A great time!