Hiawatha National Forest, MICHIGAN

Camping Michigan Hiawatha National Forest
Most Recent Hiawatha National Forest Camping Reviews
Worth the drive.

The Mouth of the Two Hearted River State Forest Campground is located on Lake Superior at the mouth of the Two Hearted River. There are 39 camp sites on a first come first serve basis. This campground is absolutely one of my favorite campgrounds in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. All of the sites are nice and decently level. They are separated into two sections, section #1 and section #2. The sites in section #1 are closer to the suspension bridge that connects the campground to Lake Superior. Section #2 is a little farther from the bridge, down a short dirt road. I picked site 21, which was in section #2 and across the road from one of the pit toilets. There are two well water hand pumps for drinkable water, plenty of trees for hammocks at all of the sites and more than enough to do. The North Country Trail runs right through the campground, there is a boat launch suitable for small boats and kayaks and some of the best sunsets anyone could ask for. The fishing opportunities here are equally amazing with brook trout and steelhead in the river and lake trout, steelhead and salmon in the lake, just to name a few, If I could give one warning before coming to this campground, it would be: DO NOT USE Google maps, Apple maps or GPS to get here. It will be worth every bit to invest in an actual map. There are numerous ORV trails here which come up as the actual roads and I can tell you it can be quite stressful. Even knowing this before coming here I thought I would be able to tell the difference, I can tell you I was absolutely wrong. It was certainly worth it in the end, but if I could go back and avoid that confusion I would. This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and I would recommend the long trip here to anyone. Make sure to bring everything you need, there is nothing forever which is yet another bonus to this fantastic place.

Small and quiet without frills

It just so happened we were there on the very last night they were open for the season. And yet they still had over half the sure booked! It's a small campground, but very near the lake, and the coolest part is the old blast furnace (hence the name of the camp on the bay) on display. Mother Nature took it over, but you can feel the history!

A few spaces are actually on the water front with beach access, but one is taken by the camp host, the other two are reservable…. And they were reserved. But there were others, all within an easy walk of the sand. Ours was tucked in the woods, others more exposed, all with fire pits and grills and picnic tables. Even a hanging post of some sort. Drinking water was also a perk.

There is no electric and there are no showers, but vault toilets are centrally located. There is an adjacent park with more tables and grills. Even though there were a lot of RVs, we heard no generators the night we were there.

This is a forest service campground in the Hiawatha Forest. Sites are $20 each as of 2019.

Great for paddling!

Secluded dense wooded area along the shoreline of Lake Michigan, which most sites have a trail leading to. I’ve camped here many times and I plan on to again in the future. Great spot for any paddling sports in the warmer months.

Pretty lakefront campground. Great location to Pictured Rocks.

We really enjoyed our stay at Superior Times. The campground is on Au Train Lake and the campground offers jet skis, boats, and kayaks for rent. They were in the midst of grading the area leading down to the Lake so it was pretty dirty/dusty in that section; however,once that is done it will be really nice. The shower/bathrooms were very small but worked out fine.

Would stay again

Great place to stay while fishing the lakes. Fish station onsite. Full hookup and bathrooms available with showers. The bathrooms are dated but the water pressure in the showers was great.

MAGNIFICENTLY BEAUTIFUL

This campground is right on the shores of the mighty Lake Superior. It is very basic and quite removed from society. You are at least 25 miles in each direction from a small town. This site is for true nature lovers. Swimming, Fishing, Nature, and Wildlife is in abundance. You will not find a better place for sunrises and sunsets. Also, on clear nights, Star Gazing is Fantastic. I have never seen so many stars at one time as I did along Lake Superior. There is a small row of trees that protect the campground from the offshore winds. There are rivers nearby that always have great fishing results and the forests are pack full of Blueberries. Bear, Deer, Porcupine, Raccoons and other wildlife are easy to come across.

Rustic camping

Great time at south Manistique lake campground. This campground has 30 campsites that are first come basis. There are outhouses that are super clean and Oder free. There is a dumpster for trash and it is 15$ a night. We stayed at site 30 right on the lake near the boat launch. The launch unfortunately did not have a dock and is very shallow and sandy. We watched someone struggle to get their boat out as the truck was getting stuck in the sand. The sites all have picnic tables and a fire ring. Unfortunately the fire ring did not have a grate to cook over. Other than that great experience all around. We will return!

Beautiful Lake Superior shoreline

City run campground on lake superior. Beautiful views, sandy shore. Most sites have water and electricity, some have sewer hookup. Some walk in sites on the shoreline. We camped on site 5. Pros: 1) Huge, wide open site, no trees. 2) lakefront site, great view. 3) great spot to base camp, near Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Grand Island National Recreation Area, and the Hiawatha National Forest.
Cons: 1) water and electric are far apart,meaning I had to run 55' of electric cord and 75' of water hose in opposite directions to hook up. 2) no buffer for strong winds off lake superior 3) highway is very close to the campground, noise is constant 4) some sites are low and flood after rains

Lake Superior views

Really nice park, views of Lake Superior, stairs down to Lake Superior beach, Electric hookups, cable TV hookups, sites big enough to park your RV & boat, firewood is available. In Grand Marais, so stores & gasoline are available near by, don’t take reservations. First come, first served, fills up pretty fast, especially during July. Fish cleaning station, dump stations, Laundry, nice shower house.

Right on Lake

Nice park, has electric hookups only. Hydrants & outhouses are available. Has a boat launch for fishing. Park Rangers are available if needed. Lake Superior access is available across the road for walking on the beach. Near North Country Trail for hiking.

Cool Dam here

Nice park, primitive, has water hydrants, & outhouses. Has a boat launch for fishing. Has a small dam that is fun to check out. Can get an RV in this park for dry camping.

Nice park

Good place for fishing, dry camping, have outhouses, & water hydrants. Can get an RV in this park, it is secluded with large sites.

Family friendly near Pictured Rocks

Average KOA- There were many tents and RVs but we had a rustic cabin for 3 nights. The bathrooms could use some attention as well as the playground, but an overall nice stay with easy access to Pictured Rocks hiking and the town of Munising

Great Forest Service Campground

Now one of my favorite campgrounds.  Quiet campground with lots of privacy on Petes Lake.  Labor Day Weekend and I didn't have time to reserve a spot so I headed up to the UP with the intentions of staying at Widewaters.  The sites at Widewaters were a little small and there was nothing good available.  I drove up the road to Petes Lake.  I was surprised that site 2 was still available when I got there.  Nice large site, with plenty of privacy that sites back a ways and a couple of good sets of trees for hammocks.

The campground sits on Petes lake with plenty of spots to go and see the sunsets.  There is a swimming area and Bruno's run goes through the campgrounds.  Munising is about 20-30 minutes away and there is a gas station at the corner of M28 and FS13 to get some ice, refreshments and cell service.

Shore of Lake Superior

This is a municipal campground whose main attraction is the location on the dunes of Grand Marais on the shore of Lake Superior. It is located on a bluff with stairs leading to Agate beach  and beautiful sunset views over the lake. The campsites are close together, but there are many shade trees, 2 bathhouses and when we were there, very quiet, respectful campers. It is about a one hour drive to Munising, MI where you can take a boat cruise to view the Painted Rock National Shoreline.It is also a short drive to numerous waterfalls and hiking trails. Most sites have water and electric hookups. many local folks sell firewood and fire rings are at each site.

Peaceful sites by a very pretty lake

This place is very quiet with good separation between sites and lots of trees. The sites on the water are stunning but the sites on the other side are more standard (but still nice). This was a great way to car camp near pictured rocks without dealing with the closer campsites that are booked well in advance.

Perfect!

Needed a place to stay and they had plenty of spots open. Not too many amenities but thats fine by me. Pretty area right on the lake, stayed here after coming from the pictured rocks

Nice quiet

Clean sites,good size, camp host was wonderful helped park, he cleaned the toilets and picked up trash including your garbage. Will definitely return. The only downside was the beach was a 1/2 mile away but once you got there it awesome clean and large

Busy spot close quarters

Busy spot obviously, convenient place to stay being right near the pictured rocks. Be prepared to get close with your neighbors, and the Backcountry tent sites are the same way. Very close together so privacy isn't really an option especially when busy. Bring bug spray, it doesn't help much but the black flies can be absolutely relentless and those things hurt!

Secluded quiet

Fayette was a perfect end to a week long tour of the U.P. The grounds are exceptionally clean and well kept. The only downfall is that the campground roads are gravel and can be a bit dusty when it’s dry. The historical site was a great way to spend a couple hours.

Great sites/peace and quiet

Bay Furnace was a quiet campground with spacious sites. This campground is definitely for campers looking to have an off the grid feel while being close to any necessary amenities. The beach was perfect for swimming and looking for rocks. With Munising just a couple of miles away there’s plenty to do.

Amazing gateway to pictured rocks

8 sites near the east end of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. We were less than 100 yards from the lake. We walked the kayaks easily to the lake. Fantastic hikes throughout the park. We will be back!

Loved it here!

Extremely rustic campground. Only 10 sites available on first come first served basis. Set a few miles off the beaten path, a great spot for fishing, kayaking, canoeing & swimming. No cell service available. Ross Lake is beautiful. There is pump water & toilets available. My favorite thing about this campground was listening to the haunting loon songs over the lake at night. I will definitely go back. The lake is set right between Munising & Grand Marais.

Wooded, shady campground just up a steep sandy bluff from Lake Superior

**Notes:

1. As long as you have your printed permit with you, you do not need to "check in" anywhere to reach the backcountry sites.

2. Almost no one we encountered had maps - be sure to print as many out prior to your trip as possible.

We parked at Beaver Basin Overlook (beware: the gravel drive in has lots of potholes!), and hiked into Pine Bluff Campground. It was about 4.7 miles in, and relatively flat. The first .5 mile was a slight decline (so it was a bit of a thigh-burner on the way back out).

When we arrived, only one other site was taken, and we all agreed we got the best site, #5 (there are five sites total). It's just a little more tucked back than the others, which were quite exposed. We were able to have one hammock up for lounging during the day and two tents. The site itself had a bear locker (people - remember to pack your food out!! Someone prior to us left food there and the stench was awful!), short walk to a pit toilet and communal fire ring. Lots of shade, which was nice. To reach Lake Superior (your water source, so bring a filter), you must climb up and down a fairly steep sandy bluff, but it's totally worth it. The views are spectacular, and it's very secluded - you'll have the beach to yourself! It's the most beautiful white sand beach, with pebbles near the water line and driftwood.

The first night, there were only three sites occupied, including ours. One site turned in early, while the other site and us built a campfire from branches we collected. Just remember you'll have to haul water up the bluff to extinguish your fire!

The second night, every single site was taken and there were two groups who decided to "squat" near the campground. Don't do this! Not only was the bear vault overflowing, you're stomping on vegetation in the area.

For our day hike, we headed west along the lakefront. The hike to the Spray Falls overlook and back was just under 10 miles.

The night sky was super clear after moon set, and we enjoyed tons of stars, the Milky Way and Perseids Meteor Shower. Highly recommend this campsite for anyone looking to backpack along Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore!

Family camping trip

River site#8. Beautiful river view. Saw ducks, hawks, fish getting caught from 2 sites away. Fun to watch the excitement! Clean bath house. Great shower. Could use a little more playground area for little ones. But, the tire swing was nice. Sandy area for the volleyball net was a nice sand area for our granddaughter to play in. Nice store. Cute clothing items for sale. Nice selection of frozen ice cream treats. We canoed and our son kayaked the Manistique River. Shuttled up and paddled back to campground. About 3 1/2 hour trip. It was serene on the river. One of our best camping experiences!

Quite, rustic campground, off the beaten path

Rustic, well pump water, vaulted toilets. There are 23 campsite all within close walking distance to the water, bug spray is a must.

We have camped here for 7 years and look forward to coming back each year. We do camp on non-holiday weekends to avoid crowds. This camp ground is always fairly empty. In seven years we have seen maybe a total of 9 other sites occupied.

There are hiking trails that have some beautiful scenery (bring bug spray) and a beach front that is just amazing. Depending on the water level there is plenty of beach and great for a day in the water.

Perfect place for tent camping but it can also accommodated small to medium RV/campers.

This place is great for relaxation and getting in touch with nature.

The perfect campground

Quiet private campsite on the lake 15$ a nite Great beach great swimming awesome fishing Outhouse toilets no electric 5 miles in no noise Plenty of room between most campsites. My family has been goin there for nearly 50 yrs. I’ll return no doubt

Cool until it wasn’t

We were pretty excited to find this place on a busy July weekend. The area was extremely scenic and also centrally located for exploring the Pictured Rocks area. The sites were a decent size and the campground was quiet. Rustic style toilets and a nice beach for swimming. We were so happy! I even made friends with a chipmunk at breakfast. After we ate we cleaned up our site and left for a long day of exploring on a Saturday. We returned really late after dark to find someone had stolen all our firewood, headlamps, extra clothing from the tent, and a few other items. Like, seriously?! Super lame. I know it’s not the fault of the campground, but I guess it just left a bad taste in my mouth for this place. People can be so disrespectful, it’s sad. The campground was good otherwise. Just watch out for that A-hole wearing my Marmot rain jacket😒

Just amazing

We landed here just by chance with no plans and found a huge lot open. Stayed 3 nights and every night was breathtaking. From the sunset to the waterfront spot it was perfect. Restrooms were close and more. Super friendly staff close to everything you would want to do in Munising.

Right on the beach!!

We lucked out and got a last minute rustic site in late July. No near neighbors, really felt like a private beach! Restrooms were far, far away, so be prepared for that (I have two kids with me and my daughter was not thrilled about the options I gave her!) We brought a sport wagon to haul stuff from the parking lot in, not a bad walk- one a little bridge, into the woods. The waves were loud enough to drown out the highway, which was near. Great location and beach!