The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Smithfield , KENTUCKY

Most Recent Smithfield Camping Reviews
Lots of trees and water, very calming

Park is nice with lots of trees and water. Small rental cabins surround the park. Owners are very nice and very helpful with tips and suggestions for the RV, and local eateries. We stayed one night on our way south from Indy. We wanted to visit The Ark and The Creation Museum, but cannot do both in one day. I deducted a star from overall and value rating only due to no direct sewer connection. Although they do have a dump station, I prefer to have a direct hook-up. Sites are pretty level, although we did have to unhook to keep truck from sticking out into road. SInce the park wasn't full, the owners let us park our truck in site next to us. We stayed in our 38' travel trailer with our Ford F250 truck.

The KT earns its nickname 'little AT'

The KT is rugged and has lots of elevation gains over short distances. Everywhere you hike there are lovely vistas and lots of fossils on the trail snd creek beds. You're never too far from water, although the quality may differ depending on the time of year.

Watch out for ticks. My dogs and I got loads of them in April 2020 from Leota to Spurgeon Hollow. There are road crossings every 5 to 10 miles, so if you run out of something or need to bail you can. The KT asks that you respect leave no trace philosophy, and I felt most hikers did.

There is occasional trail magic but don't depend on it if thru hiking. I have not stayed in any campgrounds near the trail, so I can't review those, but the trailheads all have adequate parking and signage, and I found topo maps online for free.

Let someone know your itinerary, have a means for filtering water, and enjoy!

Nice things come in small packages !

My wife and I have been camping for years. We decided to come to Kentucky to visit the Ark and the Creation Museum. I found this little campground by joining The Dyrt. Three springs, was the best choice this summer. Very friendly staff and delivered my firewood next to the fire pit. Loaned me an electric cord extension and it was a delight to stay there.

Weekend away

It was a good enough trip. Staff was friendly. The only spot available was in the equine section, we set up there. Those spots are too close together. There was a group next to us that was really loud and foul mouthed late into the evening. Lake can be enjoyed if you have a boat or rent one, not much shoreline accessibility.

First time camping

Stayed in D04. Had 30 amp plus 20 amp hookups. Picnic table. 15 pieces of firewood for 5 plus tax. Friends stayed in the chickadee cabin and d03. Neat cabins all wood with Portable AC.

A few hikes. Horse camping so was cool to see the horses. A beach location and a few fishing spots.

The lake doesn’t allow non electric motors so waters were calm. Caught some bluegills.

Public restrooms and showers.

Ice in the area cheapest at the truck stops and gas stations 2 10lbs for 5 bucks.

Would stop again if in the area.

The Family Retreat.

A great campground that offers mostly level spots and clean bathrooms. Park has several really nice hiking trails and a calm quiet lake that only allows trolling motor access or canoe and Kayaks. The playground needs to be updated it is horrible. Other than that makes great place for friends and family to gather.

Mediocre

Campground is nothing special but was okay. Owners were very friendly and came by to make sure our fire wood was burning nicely (which it was!). No swimming pool, but it was advertised that the pool was closed. If the owners make some improvements it has potential to be a nice campground.

This was our first trip

I don’t have any other experiences to compare this trip with so in my rookie opinion I thought it was a nice clean campground. The guys at the entrance were very nice and the bath house was clean.

Perfectly peaceful

Great park. Quiet, shady, and plenty to do. Trails 1-3 were marked well. The others, not so much. Lots of bike trails, but we didn’t check those out. Lake was fun, we rented row boats for the day. Reasonable prices. Use caution!!!! Poison Ivy is rampant!!! Bring your dawn, alcohol wipes, or ivyrest.

October fall break trip.

Went in October, but did not write review until December. Great place and want to come back in the summer to enjoy the lake and pool. We had a nice level, shaded campground. Some sites are not level at all. So be sure to read up on the site you want before you book it.