The best WALK IN camping near
Cheraw , COLORADO

Most Recent Cheraw Camping Reviews
Make sure you check your camp site on a map!

Initially made reservations at the point campground. There is NO shade. Cancelled and remade for Lake Hasty campground. Had a good time. Visited in spring, but it was HOT!! Very glad to have had the shade. Lots of owls. Lots of birds to watch. Bathrooms were a bit of a walk, but we were right next to the playground. Did some fishing, had a muskrat steal our fish. Lots of rattlesnakes. Also learned that rattlesnakes can swim. Easy drive to Bent's Old Fort which was great. Overall, nice but factor in weather when making reservations.

Serene

This campground is NOT accessible by vehicle if the road is wet.. There are four designated sites, three overlook the canyon and one is intended for those with horses. There is a vault toilet. This campground is at the Picket Wire Canyonlands trailhead, which boasts the largest dinosaur track site in North America. Each campsite has a fire ring, but keep in mind the canyon is subject to burn bans. It is very rocky, so if your tent is on the ground you would probably be happier with some kind of padding. The vault toilet was the cleanest I have ever encountered. The sites are first come first serve. Keep in mind, there was a lot of parking available, so it is possible overflow camping may not be frowned upon so long as you stay in the parking areas.

Beautiful but buggy!

We come to this reservoir all the time! They do a have a boat ramp and a few “beaches” to set up at if you want. But it’s covered in bugs. I know I know, that’s what camping is about BUT they are just annoying! Takes me a good hour after each trip to vacuum they all up out of the camper after each trip!

Not exactly what I expected

Very large open gravel and prairie area. Long drive from there entrance to sites on gravel roads. Sites near water are still about 100-200 yards from the water. Lots of wind, no trees. The basic sites have a table, grill, parking pad, and tent pad, all on gravel. The area is very large so getting to the bathroom is a hike. Requires reservation plus a park pass you can buy at an automated kiosk. Access to site is via the visitor center boat inspection area which has the self serve kiosk. Overall the site is fine, and when I went on a weekday in July there was only one other camper in the whole area - right next to me. The water is pretty but that's probably where others will camp just FYI.

Nice stop over for cross country travelers.

We stayed here twice last Summer on our cross country adventure. Nice shady spots and great bike riding opportunities.

Such a beautiful campground! Trees in Colorado!

Beautiful and great fishing too! bird watching is also awesome!

Lake Hasty

Great lakeside site… large site with partial shade.

Swim beach

Clean restrooms, laundry and showers

very quiet

Fishing and boating

This place offers a swim beach, fishing on the lake and boating and fishing at John Martin Resivour. There are also bathrooms and showers on site for a small cost. I love this place.

Dam good stargazing!

we got a site right on the lake and it was beautiful! It was a windy day so despIte the heat It was pleasant. swam in the beach area which was small but clean with cold water.

bathrooms were clean and new with nice pay showers. I would recommend driving up into the dam and walking on it. very cool!

when the sun went down the stargazing was incredible! saw at least 40 satellites and several shooting stars. saw a calm gray rat snake looking for food and had nests of baby birds in the trees overhead. loved this place!

If you like Windy and Hot....

This is the place you want to be! Campsites are nicely spaced and mostly level! I’d estimate that 80% have really nice shade trees. Electric provided with water nearby but I understand it’s not worth drinking but suitable for showering etc. I always carry drinking water anyway!