Colorado Springs, COLORADO

Camping Colorado Colorado Springs
Most Recent Colorado Springs Camping Reviews
Great Campground

I love it here. There are moose

Convenient location, small campground

This is yet another super popular campground in the Denver area. We got super lucky and scooped up a last-minute cancellation. There are tent sites as well as RV sites with water/electric. There is a bike path as well as some mountain biking nearby. Downtown Golden is a super cute town and it is only about 15 minutes away. The campground isn’t very big or scenic, but the location is great! The showers here are coin operated and the bathrooms are kept really clean.

Wild Hobos at 2am

Not Cute. Will not return unless absolutely necessary and Cloud Camp at the Broadmoor is booked.

Amazing

GORGEOUS views! The trees were turning yellow in the Fall and the weather was perfect. You could see mountains all around and the roads were really great getting there. Pretty trashed though. We cleaned up as much as we could in our camp spot so please, do your part and leave the beautiful place better than you found it :)

Lots of charm

Lone Duck has a great deal of amenities that make it a pleasant stay. While everything is fairly tight, they use the space in a way that reduces feeling too tight. There are bushes between at least some sites, lots of family friendly activities, friendly staff, and little odds and ends extras that make this a great place to stay. We stayed in site 29A, which sits alongside a creek on one side and another site on the other. Across the small creek appears to be private property and homes. We didn't spend much time at the campground during our short stay, but we were comfortable. I was bummed I didn't make time for a few arcade games! The bathroom/showers were cleaned daily, the staff was visible and always pleasant in our interactions. While we arrived late and after the office closed (10:15pm), there was a map on the office door with our last name and our site circled. Showers and toilets were a bit cramped, but they are flush toilets and the showers do not require coins!!! The shower was luke warm, though I suspect its because I took it mid-late morning. They offer a pancake breakfast and free Wi-Fi. Overall there was a home like feeling. Its not too far out of CO Springs and close to many of the Springs local attractions, sitting at the base of Pikes Peak. We'd definitely go back if we're in the area again.

Great place

Very pretty! We camped on the last weekend of the season (Sept 27th). It was $22 a night at that time. You pay via a drop box with cash and there’s no change available. You’re definitely in bear country and they do a good job of warning you. The area is mainly populated by people coming out to ride ATVs or dirt bikes, so expect to hear them for sure. This is a small campground with only two loops. Both loops have a bathroom (hole in the ground type) with no running water. No trash cans avaliable. Each loop has about 4 campsites. First come first serve. We came out at 6 pm on a Friday night and there were about 3 spots left, which filled up quickly. If you miss the campsite, there are others up Rampart Road that would you can use as a back up (those are free). Overall I enjoyed it and would come again!

Website is deceiving

Sites are super close together. The “mountain stream” buts up against an apartment complex and the highway noise is awful. The bathrooms are not very big and they smell dirty.

Nice area

Really great views. Clean, level campsites. We stayed in conifer 25. Close to comfort station and playground. Coin showers but are super clean.

So beautiful

This place is amazing, the spot we had was huge!! Beautiful river and so relaxing!! Definitely coming back!! Hiking is amazing!!

Very pretty campground. Deer came through our campsite.

We found walk up sites!

Not too bad of a campground. We weren't sure if we could find a walk up campsite available so we headed up on a Wednesday in June. There are 36 sites of which 10 are FCFS (sites 29-38). We found a great spot to fit our 29' camper plus truck well.

Overall great camping trip. Bathrooms were clean, camp host was friendly and also made sure people were safe and following the rules.

Simple and basic

Nice campground. Must buy firewood from campground host as they do not want wood brought in that might bring bugs that could turn the trees on the grounds bad.
Some running water towards back end of the campground with a short lil hike down to it. The sites are decently spaced apart and the tree coverage is nice.
Vaulted toilets, no sinks, fire rings standard as with any of the State Park camp grounds. Clean and well maintained.
The drive in to town is not far off. Enjoy!

Nice and Secluded

Greeted by the groundskeeper, seemed genuinely interested in us being safe and taken care of. About 1/4 mile from Devil's Head trailhead.

Amazing

We only stayed two nights but we absolutely loved it! We rent camped right next to the little stream and saw so much wildlife! It was awesome! We will definitely be back.

Easy to get to, not the most secluded

We stayed at this campground in order to help out with the Xterra Race that was taking place the next day. We reserved two walk in sites (30 and 34) and it was easy to find them. The walk in sites are between 20-40 feet form the parking lot and on a slight (and rocky) hill. There was plenty of privacy by way of shrubs so it felt secluded even though the sites are right next to each other.

You can only set up tents on the tent pads in the sites so that was a little challenging being that we needed to sleep 10 and could only fit 1 tent per site. But we were able to make it work. Also, the ground is very compact, so stakes were hard to get into the ground and we had to tie off our guy-lines to the bushes to keep them in place during the night.

Keep in mind that you are on a military base area so you will hear TAPS periodically throughout the day and night. Campground is open year-round

It has:

51 Full Hook-Up sites

10 Basic Tent sites

Coin operated showers and laundry (Seasonal; These amenities are for active campers only.)

Overall the sites were great. Bear food lockers and water at each site. The firepits were large and well ventilated. The bathrooms were super clean and accommodating. Lots of trails and ranger led events happening to keep you (and your kids and dogs) entertained.

Lone Duck

Very nice/clean with good access to Pike’s peak. Shower stalls are a bit small.

Best free place

Very clean very quiet cant find a spot every time and can get very crowded on weekends but on week days very quiet

Convenient camping

Cute campground, we camped back by the little lake. It was quiet as there were few campers at the time. The train was expected, so it didn’t bother me to much. The site we were assigned did not have a fire pit in the site, it was up the road by another camp site. Because of that we did not have a fire. Kind of awkward to leave camp to have a fire. The camp was clean and about what I expected. The bathrooms were no anywhere near that side of the campground either.

Absolutely Amazing!

All of the amenities. Pool, laundry room, gift shop/Grocery. Arcade, pond, clean bathrooms. Best place every. And surrounded by mountains!

Great!

Very friendly staff. All accommodations are great. $2 for laundry, free showers, and restrooms. Rv supply shop along with ice on the property. Small space but what do you expect in a super tourist town!

Goose creek camping

Long drive out but it was totally worth it . The creek was running nice and it was kinda deep in places. lots of trails and wildlife, I saw 3 mule deer and heard elk calling at night.

Beautiful reservoir but no privacy

The reservoir is fun to explore on paddle boards, and many of the sites have views of the water. You can pick up ice and other basics at the marina, and there is a dump station with two sides so the line moves pretty quickly.

The downside is that campground is not particularly clean, and the campsites have zero shade and zero privacy. They are set really close together.

High School Party Spot

This spot holds a special place in the hearts of many Canon City locals. Many a drunk High Schooler have fallen into deadly cactus while trying to drink a keg up here. Also, I almost got killed twice here, once by a Black Bear and another by a God damn Mountain Lion!! This area really does offer some spectacular views, it’s like a small Garden of the Gods. I highly recommend you bring some Marijuana when you go there, it helps to get the blood flowing after sitting in the car.

Catch some Brookies!!!!

It’s a small stream but it’s sure as hells got some trout in it! I’ve been fishing this stream since I was a kid, and I still have a good time there. It’s got some decent little camp spots too.

One of my favorite places!

Great hikes, fishing, cabins and views.

Always Enjoyable. Lots to do.

My family has camped at this campground for a few years. It's one of our favorites. Surrounded by giant, boulder-filled hills the scenery is fantastic (as is scrambling up those hills). The sky at night is gorgeous and we recently enjoyed the Milky Way, Jupiter, and Saturn. It has hiking (Lizard Rock Trail) and Tarryall Creek to play or fish in. Lots to do around there! We've had a few mix ups/issues with reservations in the past but it all got worked out.

Not my favorite campground

Visited this RV Park over a weekend with my family. Even the premium sites are extremely close. There was a sewer-type smell near the front office. While we stayed there, the entire site was surrounded by road construction sites, which made it difficult to get in and out.

There are two pools and an arcade, which my kids enjoyed quite a bit. The location is accessible to Garden of the Gods, Manitou Springs, and a number of other popular activities close by.

Overall, I was unimpressed and would not stay here again. In looking for photos of the campground for this review, I realized I didn’t have any as there was not much to take pictures of. Overall, not my favorite and I would not stay here again.

Very beautiful landscape

You can park your R.V. or set up a tent. the staff is nice and staying at this location was a lot of fun.

Clean, minimal insects and everyone’s catching a fish!

We come here often - tent campers. Here’s a simple review to quickly figure out if this is a place for you!

Time of the year: Labor Day Weekend 2019

Reservations: No

Cost to camp: $15

Sites: 33, and we arrived at midnight on Sat. There were probably 10 sites taken. On Saturday, it started to fill up, but it seemed that there at least 10 sites not taken throughout the day. We stayed at sites 17 and 18. 17 is almost 90% in the shade all day. It’s a smaller site, but we were able to stake 2 tents and park a car comfortably. Site 18 was a bit bigger, and there was a drive-thru parking spot. You could fit almost 3 cars there, but 2 tents comfortably. This site remained shaded until 5pm ‘till sunset.

Restrooms: Yes, 2 flushing toilets per gender. Bring hand soap because it’s the right thing to do! Toilet paper never seems to run low, but bring some just in case. They seem to bleach the restrooms daily…THUMBS UP FOR ME!! However, during the colder season, port-a-potties are only accessible. No showers.

Water spigot: Yes, there is one at every site. Not sure if it is pottable, but I used it to clean my dishes and didn’t get sick.

Firewood: Yes, for a donation. There are surrounding homes before and in the state park that sell bundles for like $5.

Handicap accessible: Yes, I saw one site.

Stargazing: OMG YES!!

Other: If you need to get ice, odds and ends or even go to a bar, Eagle Valley resort is less than 9 miles in the park. Take the scenic route to see the cute community in the area.

Fishing: The reservoir is really low, but that doesn’t deter the ability to catch fish. Blow up boats, float tubes and fishing from the shore are, in my opinion, a great way to catch a fish. The morning time between 6am - 9am are the best, but you can catch all day long…just takes some time. In 2 days of fishing, 5 people caught more than 30 fish in 3 hours of fishing a day.

Bugs and such: There are bugs, but they weren’t really as annoying as most campgrounds. Ants were prevalent, but if you keep your food and scraps off the ground, you will be okay. I never see snakes. There are a lot of jackrabbits.

Temperature: It seemed to be in the 90s in the day and 50s at night.

Overall, my family got 2 spots across of each other, a little walk to the restrooms, but we enjoyed the weekend fishing, eating and enjoying the great weather. I highly recommend camping here!!

Great small and historic campground just outside of Denver.

This small campground is great for those looking for a quick getaway near Denver. It's pretty quiet as they don't allow fires or alcohol although I'm not sure the alcohol is enforced. Great access to trails for hiking nearby. The shower houses are super clean which is a nice bonus.