Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests and Thunder Basin National Grassland , COLORADO

Camping Colorado Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests and Thunder Basin National Grassland

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests and Thunder Basin National Grassland Camping Reviews
The Long and Winding Road

Heading north out of Steamboat towards Strawberry Park, you can peel off on to 38 and start heading up. Lots of opportunities to find a spot far from everyone else. It takes quite a bit of time to get to town or Strawberry Park, so the lower you are the better for that. At the top of Buffalo Pass are a number of good little lakes. They were quite buggy when I was there. Good hiking and mountain biking throughout the forest. A few motorcycles to watch for.

The road up got rough and really did a number on my top mounted bike racks. I wouldn't take anything more than a teardrop or Airstream Basecamp up.

Leave no trace.

Far from the crowds, far from ordinary

Beautiful Aspen groves surround you as you roll on endlessly down well maintained dirt roads. I've put in specific coordinates, but you can follow any of these FS roads after you pass through the "town" of Columbine. I prefer to go up to the right along 550. But you can't go wrong.

Free range sheep are being guarded by Great Pyreneese dogs, Moose and Pronghorn are all abundant. Bears too, so lock it all up.

Great easy MTB on the roads and some smaller trails.

Not what it used to be

Well north of Steamboat Springs, up a beautiful valley and on a nice man-made lake. The sites are on top of each other and the beetle kill of the pines have made this a bit barren looking. Campsite can get loud with lots of family stuff going on. The lake is nice for a canoe and paddle board. Good launching point for hikes and MTB.

Beautiful Country

Beautiful hike in the summer or snowshoeing in the winter. Not matter the time of year is the best time to go

Nice, secluded, & quiet

This place is down a long dirt ride through private property so be kind and mind the hours. When you get to the end, take the right fork and you’ll find two, rather close together, camping areas. When nobody is here it’s wonderful - right next to a creek, dogs can run around, and it is so very quiet and secluded. If I’m ever in Wyoming I’ll head back to this little spot.

There’s also a boat ramp, and I imagine if you fish, the creek would be a nice little spot to fish.

Heaven on earth

Never been to a better spot

Beautiful Views

Stayed here for three nights on September 11, 2020. Nice view of the reservoir. Close to Steamboat Springs, CO. Nice hiking trails.

Beautiful Views

Beautiful campground, fills up fast! Rock road up to the campground! Narrow turns, big rigs not recommended. We pulled an 18-foot trailer and saw only a few spots that would work for us! Highly recommended for a mountain high experience!

So quiet/peaceful

We loved this place! It was so quiet and peaceful out here. There’s a playground which our little girls loved! Definitely one of the more primitive places if you’re in an RV. It looked like there was potable water available but we didn’t use it. Also we could not locate the dump station so not really sure if there is one. Really affordable. $15 for an electric site. First come/ first serve. They never fill up apparently.

Tucked away campground with almost everything you need.

I found this place a few nights ago while in the Medicine Bow National Forest and what a find it was. So beautiful! The location is pretty amazing - right next to a lake, tucked up against the mountains, very quiet and pristine. The campground has all the amenities you'd expect: fire pits, tables, toilets, trash bins, and a water pump (although I couldn't figure out how to get it working). The sites vary in terms of privacy and style - some are closer to one another, others back a bit. Some are out in the open with no trees, others have trees (and I managed to get my hammock hung no problem.) Lots of variety. I say it has almost everything you need because I didn't get any cell service (on Verizon), which for those of us that are mobile workers that like to be able to work while camping can be a deal-breaker.

Nearby are some cool things as well: a trailhead to do some hiking, and a small chapel that is just sitting out in the middle of the wilderness. Very cool little spot to just sit and relax, even if you're not of the faith (god knows I'm not).

It was pretty much empty when I was there, just one other camper in their RV who was the host if I'm not mistaken. This could be because it's toward the end of the season, or perhaps because of the active wildfire that was burning not too far away. Either way, it was perfectly quiet at night, which I love.

Signs mentioned it being an active bear area, so practice all the regular food safety bear stuff - pack it away in your car or up a tree.

Only downside was a burn ban in effect, which given the elevation of the campsite can make for cold nights. You'll need to really bundle up if you can't have a fire to keep you warm. Also, it is now closed for the season, so if you're thinking about coming here in 2020 or early 2021, it won't be open. The rangers came by the next morning to let me know they were locking it down, partly due to the fire, and partly because it was getting close to seasonal closing time anyway.

Really glad I managed to catch this place literally the night before it was shut for the year. I would definitely come back.