the dyrt
National Park Service
Morefield - Mesa Verde National Park is located in Colorado
20 Reviews of Morefield - Mesa Verde National Park
Breathtaking in fall

Got to visit this beauty in fall and went up 8,000 feet elevation. So beautiful and remote.

Not Bad

The only campground in Mesa Verde National Park, this is the most expensive National Park campground I have stayed in. Morefield is also the only National Park campground I've visited that had wifi, free showers, and paid laundry. There were very few other campers in the tent loops mid-October. The bathrooms are mostly kind of clean. There is also water and trash throughout the campground. Most of the attractions in Mesa Verde are a little less than an hour's drive away. I wish I could have stayed longer if only to go on more of the tours of historic sites.

Quiet and comfortable

Stayed at Jimez loop, site #86. Its got everything you need, except a ton of shade.

Cliff Dwellers

I have been to Mesa Verde twice and still have not been able to see all I want to. The Cliff dwellings are amazing. it is worth the time to go on tours. handicap tours are available but the non handicap tours need a little stamina and hiking skills. The require climbing ladders. We stayed in the primative camping area tenting. A skunk came into our camping area which was very scary but it didn't spray us as we tried to stay still as he explored our site. Water is close by as well as bathrooms and showers. There are reasonable eating establishments and stores on the campgrounds. Firewood and ice are available. There is no pool. We went for the Cliff dweller experience and many of the areas are handicap accessible. There is a museum and gift shop in the park.

Big sites, clean and beautiful

If you are headed to Mesa Verde, stay inside the park at Morefield. The campground is isolated, yet close to a store, showers and pet care. Some sites lack shade but most are very large.

Good Campgrounds!!

Nice! nice secluded spots amongst the trees. we booked online but got to pick out our own spot . not sure if this is always the way or if it’s because it wasn’t too busy mid June. Showers and Laundry just a short drive or walk to where the camp check in is. Also a cafe , we didn’t eat there just coffee $25 a night , worth it for the quietness and privacy of the camp site

Fabulous History

We stayed inside Mesa Verde for two nights. the camping was good and they even had showers and laundry you could use. Make sure you go to the visitors center first thing and book your tours of the different cliff dwellings!

Great overnight stay within National Park!

Spacious tent sites. Bathrooms within close range. WiFi located at each bathroom.

CLEAN SHOWERS!!!!!

Very surprised with the actual size of Mesa Verde National Park. The facilities are maintained very well and are kept extremely clean. The showers they are amazing. Especially after tent camping for a week!

Be prepared to sign up for tours - under $10 per person, which is very reasonable - to see some of the cliff sites up close.T he museum and rangers were great. Be sure to buy your tickets in advance as there is a limited number of tours each day and they fill up. You can only purchase tickets up to 2 days in advance and it has to be in person. The tours are so worth the effort!

My partner now likes camping!

Our experience camping at Morefield was great! We expected the campground to be more full, but there were lots of choices for sites. We were able to get a great site that was well shaded, with some space between us and adjacent sites, and plenty of room in the site itself. It was my partner and I and we have a teardrop style camper. The bathrooms were clean enough (some spider webs, but the sinks and flushing toilets were clean). There were free showers with no time limit. We did not attend any of the evening programs, but there were programs available. We were under the impression that there were electric sites available, but were not able to locate them. There is a general store for purchasing ice, little items that may have been forgotten, and a gas station. Overall, this was a great experience that leads my partner (who hates camping) to want to camp more!